Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Most of the extra characters will probably have very short parts. They won't all be in the whole season I bet.

garion333 wrote:
kazooka wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I'm concerned how much fan service is going into the second season. It's starting to get a whiff of Rise of Skywalker.

This is how Dave Filoni works. It is fan service, but it's more like a curated fan service. He tends to revisit underutilized properties or hanging plot threads. Or even when he does do something like bring back Darth Maul it makes internal sense. He's not rehashing old plot lines, he's using familiar characters to explore new dimensions.

Well put. I'm not a huge fan of the whole religious aspect of the Mandalorians, but I sure as sh*t liked everything else they did. Except that village/Seven Samurai episode.

Fett's armor had to show up at some point, right?

Given that Fett isn't a Mandalorian and didn't follow anything resembling this new group's "Way", would hope Din and the rest of the surviving Mandalorians view him as being a "stolen valor" type. Given the popularity of the character I'm not really expecting it though.

Stengah wrote:
garion333 wrote:
kazooka wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I'm concerned how much fan service is going into the second season. It's starting to get a whiff of Rise of Skywalker.

This is how Dave Filoni works. It is fan service, but it's more like a curated fan service. He tends to revisit underutilized properties or hanging plot threads. Or even when he does do something like bring back Darth Maul it makes internal sense. He's not rehashing old plot lines, he's using familiar characters to explore new dimensions.

Well put. I'm not a huge fan of the whole religious aspect of the Mandalorians, but I sure as sh*t liked everything else they did. Except that village/Seven Samurai episode.

Fett's armor had to show up at some point, right?

Given that Fett isn't a Mandalorian and didn't follow anything resembling this new group's "Way", would hope Din and the rest of the surviving Mandalorians view him as being a "stolen valor" type. Given the popularity of the character I'm not really expecting it though.

I thought the same, until I thought about it more and realized Din isn’t Mandalorian himself. He may feel a kind of kinship with Fett... at first.

Din is a Mandalorian. He's a foundling.

Jango was born on a Mandalorian world (Concord Dawn) but was just a mercenary in stolen armor according to the Mandalorian government. Boba was a clone who was only partially raised by Jango with no actual ties to the Mandalorian people or culture. Even if biologically they are Mandalorian, the faction that took Din in ought to view both of them as heretics since they stole their armor and didn't follow anything even slightly resembling The Way. Less zealous factions of survivors might see him as one of them, as not even Deathwatch had such harsh rules about wearing their helmets, but he'd still be an outcast for Jango having stole his armor instead of earning it or having it passed down.

kazooka wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I'm concerned how much fan service is going into the second season. It's starting to get a whiff of Rise of Skywalker.

This is how Dave Filoni works. It is fan service, but it's more like a curated fan service. He tends to revisit underutilized properties or hanging plot threads.

And boy, if there's anything underutilized in Star Wars, it's Boba Fett.

Oooohhhhh snap!

ClockworkHouse wrote:
kazooka wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

I'm concerned how much fan service is going into the second season. It's starting to get a whiff of Rise of Skywalker.

This is how Dave Filoni works. It is fan service, but it's more like a curated fan service. He tends to revisit underutilized properties or hanging plot threads.

And boy, if there's anything underutilized in Star Wars, it's Boba Fett.

Look, now that the Legends Universe isn't canon anymore, practically everything's underutilized again! Bring that dead horse back out, boys! It's beatin' time!

edit: Also, noteable that whenever Fett has shown up in the New Star Wars, it's been as a whiny nerd. It would be really funny if that's the overall direction they were going with him.

This is the way.

That looks fantastic!

Mando's ship looks an awful lot like the XCOM 2 Skyranger....

Feels good to be excited for a Star Wars thing.

It feels strange to be excited for a Star Wars thing but I want to see this.

IS THAT AHSOKA 0:49 IN?!?!?! IS IT?! OMG!

Veloxi wrote:

IS THAT AHSOKA 0:49 IN?!?!?! IS IT?! OMG!

I am so stoked to see her in live action... like... more than anything since that damned trailer where Maul lights his second blade hyped.... (Her and Maul are my two favorite characters after the cartoons came out... probably always will be.)

Pretty sure it's not, her head tails/crest thing would make the hood much higher. Also no face markings.

I would not think it was Ahsoka. There was no face paint or pointy tips at the top of the cloak. But who knows.

It definitely looked like Rosario Dawson though.

Maybe they're using computer tricksiness to obscure her makeup? Either that, or she's not playing Asoka.

PaladinTom wrote:

It definitely looked like Rosario Dawson though.

Maybe they're using computer tricksiness to obscure her makeup? Either that, or she's not playing Asoka.

I thought it looked like her too. It's hard to tell for sure with the makeup though. I was thinking she's using Force-tricks to obscure her appearance. At this point, wouldn't she be hunted by the Empire?

She's not the only member of her species, and she hadn't changed her appearance at all by the epilogue of Rebels, which wouldn't have been long before the events of season one of the Mandalorian.

I know the leaks and rumors all say Dawson's been cast as Ashoka, but if that was Dawson in the trailer (and it does look like her), I kind of wonder if maybe she's actually playing Sabine Wren. I can't imagine they'd drastically alter Ashoka's appearance that much.

The cloaked woman is apparently Sasha Banks, not Rosario Dawson.
https://www.newsweek.com/mandalorian...

Stengah wrote:

The cloaked woman is apparently Sasha Banks, not Rosario Dawson.
https://www.newsweek.com/mandalorian...

Wow, thank you internet!* (and Stengah)

* Remember before the internet when you couldn't remember something and it tortured you all day?

PaladinTom wrote:

Remember before the internet when you couldn't remember something and it tortured you all day?

No, I don't remember before the internet, and it's been torturing me all day.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
PaladinTom wrote:

Remember before the internet when you couldn't remember something and it tortured you all day?

No, I don't remember before the internet, and it's been torturing me all day.

That made me laugh. Thanks... needed that.

The Mandalorian Star Reportedly Quit The Show Halfway Through Season 2

“While filming Season 2 Pedro Pascal really wanted to have some scenes with his helmet off,” says Randolph. “The Mandalorian creative team wouldn’t budge on this. So Pedro Pascal, from what I’ve heard from two sources now, was frustrated about this and also was pretty darn uncomfortable in the Mando suit on set. So, he became difficult.

And the final straw, even though he was difficult to be around on set, the final straw was that he went to Lucasfilm, from what I’ve heard from my sources, to try and get them to intervene on his behalf. And you combine that with Lucasfilm already trying to get involved with story aspects of Season 2, which I’ve also heard. Including focusing more on standalone episodes rather than making them more connected, which I’ve heard The Mandalorian creative team wanted to do, which was kind of happening at the end of Season 1. So, when Pedro Pascal went to Lucasfilm, the Mando team was like, ‘You know what, you should just go’. And Pedro Pascal did. And that happened halfway through filming. Now, as I said, I’ve heard the break up was pretty bad with both sides upset.”

Randolph usually has a decent track record when it comes to the inside scoop on major franchise projects, but this one seems a little far-fetched. After all, Pascal surely would have known full well when he was first in talks to join The Mandalorian that he’d be required to keep his helmet on for the majority of his scenes, something he didn’t seem to have an issue with the last time out.

I will say I've always thought it was potentially problematic from Disney's perspective in having a recognizable star to promote their show, and from Pascal's perspective in advancing his career, to have a protagonist who never shows his face.

That said, yes, I would presume Pascal understood what he was in for when he took the role, and I would also presume that we are going to continue to see him without the helmet a time or two each season when it makes sense. You can't just have him helmet-less all the time or it loses its mystique but it's also not like they'll literally never show his face again. I had seen the vague "trouble on the Mandalorian set" stories that didn't give any details before, but my first reaction to this is to call BS. This reads almost like an Onion story, it's like if somebody claimed the guy playing Superman wanted out because it was too annoying walking around in the cape.

That story reads like a bunch of bored PAs making sh*t up.

It's not Star Wars if the rumors aren't flying all the time about creative differences.

While an actor's career revolves around their face in many respects, I think there's something to be said for an actor that can command a performance through an unmoving mask. Hugo Weaving in "V for Vendetta", Edward Norton in "Kingdom of Heaven", and Tom Hardy in "Dark Knight Rises" all come to mind. And compare a masked Karl Urban in to unmasked Stallone in their respective Judge Dredd movies. I know Norton has a reputation as a difficult actor, but I don't really know much about Pedro Pascal. I thought his season 1 performance was great, so I really hope the article is BS.

deftly wrote:

While an actor's career revolves around their face in many respects, I think there's something to be said for an actor that can command a performance through an unmoving mask. Hugo Weaving in "V for Vendetta", Edward Norton in "Kingdom of Heaven", and Tom Hardy in "Dark Knight Rises" all come to mind.

I haven't seen "Kingdom of Heaven", but I have seen the other two and I must respectfully disagree. I thought Weaving's mask was one of the weakest elements in 'V for Vendetta'. What works well in written, graphic novel form works not at all on film.

As for Tom Hardy, any acting his Bane was doing was concealed by the mask and the fact that his voice was subject to some audio processing (Sean Connery speaking through the a turbocharge blow-off valve?).

I do wonder whether Tom Hardy is quietly having a joke at our expense (or has simply become lazy, deliberately choosing lucrative roles that don't require him to actually act.)

He wore one again in 'Mad Max'

IMAGE(https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/438/d16/a5a9ce24da0c6224eaa590ed32c09f7c8e-15-mad-max.rhorizontal.w700.jpg)

And again - less famously - in 'Dunkirk'... where I didn't even know it was him until I saw the credits.

IMAGE(https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2017/07/tom-hardy-s-dunkirk-hero-based-on-a-real-life-kiwi/_jcr_content/par/image.dynimg.full.q75.jpg/v1501219439940/TOM+HARDY+-+DUNKIRK+-+WARNER+BROTHERS+-+1120.jpg)

EDIT: There seems to be a weird sub-culture around TH's mask-wearing. The NY Post has written about it.

The Hindustan Times has referenced it as well.

And this and this website have written about it too.