PAX South 2019! San Antonio, TX - January 18-20, 2019

Pages

Its that time of year again, when GWJ'ers come together to celebrate gaming and hang out as one giant dysfunctional family in San Antonio for PAX South 2019!

I'll update this post as we get things organized, but I wanted to go ahead and create a spot where we can coordinate activities, meetups, etc.

This year, I'm getting into town on Thursday evening, so I'll be able to participate in the Slap and Tickle that night.

True Dungeon...it was awesome last year, so lets do it again this year! I can't do the purchasing for everyone, but if someone wants to volunteer, you have the group's thanks in advance!

Also...what are you looking forward to this year? Panels (once they're announced), specific tabletop games or Adventurer's League?

Still formulating plans (translation: waiting for my wife to decide whether I'm attending solo, dual-wielding offspring, or as a family event). Hard to know what to get hyped about without a schedule yet, but certainly looking forward to whatever pick-up tabletop stuff happens with GWJ folk and hoping to have a plan in time to maybe get in on True Dungeon this year.

My crew majors in tabletop for most of the con.

The Thursday night Slap and Tickle has traditionally been dinner followed by tabletop gaming as well.

With Finn and Gina having relocated, things are a bit up in the air for Thursday. There is actually a fairly official tabletop event at the con on Thursday night we might look into.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

With Finn and Gina having relocated, things are a bit up in the air for Thursday.

Ohhh, I had forgotten about that.

They will be missed. I'm definitely down for another true dungeon. I might even buy 10 bucks worth of tokens to beef up my monk. Single tokens are super cheap.

I want some more D&D, some new games... Maybe Gloomhaven...

I think Finn and Gina will be there, Manta, but I haven't seen Finn confirm 100% yet.

I'm buying more tokens, for sure, and if you want Gloomhaven...I might just bring my copy, if you're serious...

Scottish_Leprechaun wrote:

I think Finn and Gina will be there, Manta, but I haven't seen Finn confirm 100% yet.

100% confirmed!!! We got our badges shortly after they went live but I was too distracted otherwise to get online and post about it 'til now.

I'll lend my local knowledge to assist with plan development for Thursday, but I'll have to put some thought into the options.

Scottish_Leprechaun wrote:

if you want Gloomhaven...I might just bring my copy, if you're serious...

That is an impressive commitment! I had the chance to weight-lift a copy in a game store the other day...woof! I wouldn't ask someone to go so far...though I'd shamelessly partake in the fun if it were to happen!

I am serious about it... I hear it might be fun.

Yay for Finn and Gina being able to make it!!

PewPewRobo wrote:
Scottish_Leprechaun wrote:

I think Finn and Gina will be there, Manta, but I haven't seen Finn confirm 100% yet.

100% confirmed!!! We got our badges shortly after they went live but I was too distracted otherwise to get online and post about it 'til now.

Great news!

manta173 wrote:

I am serious about it... I hear it might be fun.

Yay for Finn and Gina being able to make it!!

Well then, I think I'll be packing that beast up and bringing it. May have to play it at the hotel/airbnb I end up at, but I'll definitely bring it.

Excited to see everyone in January! Badge ordered, looks like I'll be solo again this year. I'm thinking probably hotel room for one after last year's, uh, experiential learning about sharing vacation rentals with absolute strangers, but keep me posted if anyone is looking to fill space.

Benign1, I may have a spot available for you. Waiting to hear from a friend who wants to come, but has an annual hunting trip around the same time. Once I get a definitive answer from him, I'm planning to book an Airbnb, and I can make it big enough to accommodate you.

Scottish_Leprechaun wrote:
manta173 wrote:

I am serious about it... I hear it might be fun.

Yay for Finn and Gina being able to make it!!

Well then, I think I'll be packing that beast up and bringing it. May have to play it at the hotel/airbnb I end up at, but I'll definitely bring it.

Other option is that I live in town and could bring it anywhere!

I’ve got 3-day passes for myself and my wife. True Dungeon was fun, I’d do it again. Not committed enough to buy tokens though. They didn’t seem that useful in last year’s run.
Hoping to do some more VR and tabletop again.

I feel our group did very well with the token allotment we got with the price of admission last year, which was further boosted by the loot from our victorious adventure! I would recommend that first-timers hold off on extra tokens until they have a feel for the basic experience. After that the token splurge is up to you!

I would definitely enjoy making another group run, though I can't say I'm tracking the sign-up as closely this year. Interested folks, let's keep an eye out and see how things come together!

Details on True Dungeon are here. https://truedungeon.com/pax-south

Key points:

  • Two independent 2-hour adventures are available
  • Tickets go on sale Nov 18th, you buy a timeslot so there's no waiting.
  • Up to 10 people in a group
  • $58 / person - covers admission, 10 tokens before the adventure, 1 PAX specific token, and three treasure tokens afterward.
  • There's also a Free 24-minute demo version with no pre-purchase, just day-of queuing.

I swear I saw somewhere that the convention center had changed its bag policy. Maybe it's a per event thing, but I had read clear bags (like they're doing for the schools). That being said, keep an eye out if they changed things, it may limit what you can lug around on the floor if you have a normal backpack and that rule applies.

Hemidal wrote:

I swear I saw somewhere that the convention center had changed its bag policy. Maybe it's a per event thing, but I had read clear bags (like they're doing for the schools). That being said, keep an eye out if they changed things, it may limit what you can lug around on the floor if you have a normal backpack and that rule applies.

Thanks for volunteering to keep us informed!

I'll get right on that...

San Antonio hosted the NCAA final four this past Spring, and for events related to that only there was a clear bag policy. Could you be thinking of that? I couldn’t find anything on the internet related to the convention center changing its policy for all events. There’s nothing on the PAX site either, however they don’t seem to pay attention to updating that website until a week or so before the event.
The policy could still change for either prior to January too.

After some research, the bag policies are determined by the host of the convention, not the facility. NCAA and NFL both have "Clear Bag" policies. I don't think we'll have to worry about that with PAX. There is NO WAY they would prevent people from bringing backpacks into the building, hence the security searches at the entrances.

I saw a guy on the Chicago L the other day with a clear backpack filled with I don't know how many iPhone charging cables and devices, among other crap. It struck me as really odd, but now I know the proper use case for such a bag!

Thanks for the TD update Markcov. Let's revisit the idea of another group run, in November before tickets go on sale.

Time to bump this thread. Ticket sales for True Dungeon are coming up in a few weeks. I’ll be happy to coordinate purchases this time around so we can get slots together.

I have no preference between the two adventures, but also don’t know anything about either one either. So if you know some details from GenCon or just really prefer the font of one let us know. We don’t know any of the convention schedule yet, so I’m sure whatever time we pick will clash with your favorite panel. Mention if you have any time requirements otherwise.

I’m +1 and don’t have any timing requirements. Who else is interested? Only 9 slots left!

Details quoted below.

PewPewRobo - Almost didn’t recognize you since you changed your avatar.

markcov wrote:

Details on True Dungeon are here. https://truedungeon.com/pax-south

Key points:

  • Two independent 2-hour adventures are available
  • Tickets go on sale Nov 18th, you buy a timeslot so there's no waiting.
  • Up to 10 people in a group
  • $58 / person - covers admission, 10 tokens before the adventure, 1 PAX specific token, and three treasure tokens afterward.
  • There's also a Free 24-minute demo version with no pre-purchase, just day-of queuing.
markcov wrote:

PewPewRobo - Almost didn’t recognize you since you changed your avatar.

[cue transforming noises] e-er-er-erngh

I need to check with Beldera to see if we are all in, or not...our budget has tightened up a bit since we moved to Chicago. Do it in a heartbeat otherwise.

I'm in, for sure, Markcov.

Second bump. Anyone else interested?

I am!! lol I work at a place that blocks the forums so I spend a lot less time here now... sorry...

Manta173 - No problem, you haven’t missed the registration deadline, so you’re not even late.

I'm having trouble enlisting our San Antonio friends who joined last year (mainly because we are more out of touch after moving), but I'd like to join you all regardless. I'll keep working on them, but count me in. Maybe if they don't join I can at least 'borrow' all their tokens...that's an angle! Markcov, are you planning to take lead on buying out tickets for a slot this time around? Is there a plan for coordinating a time slot against the broader PAX South schedule?

I'm a little stressed about committing without really knowing what I'm getting myself into (should have made time for the demo version last year!), but count me in for a slot.

PewPewRobo wrote:

I'm having trouble enlisting our San Antonio friends who joined last year (mainly because we are more out of touch after moving), but I'd like to join you all regardless. I'll keep working on them, but count me in. Maybe if they don't join I can at least 'borrow' all their tokens...that's an angle! Markcov, are you planning to take lead on buying out tickets for a slot this time around? Is there a plan for coordinating a time slot against the broader PAX South schedule?

I don't think the broader schedule will be out until this activity is sold out, unfortunately.

Pages