Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Smash All

I'm getting to the point where sometimes I will remember that there is a grab button. Yesterday I even blocked on purpose!

I think it speaks well of the design that even somebody at my level is having fun with the game.

Antichulius wrote:

I’ll totally check that video out. Looks interesting. Until ultimate I’ve always been a button masher in smash and it wasn’t much fun to lose a bunch to weak ai. This time I’ve got controls moved around and am focused on actually learning the game (just discovered a “smash attack” is a thing. Never knew but it explains so much about how my 80% could be killed but I couldn’t beat their 140%) so I’m happy to sit for 40 minutes and listen to someone rank characters. :)

What is Smash attack?

jrralls wrote:
Antichulius wrote:

I’ll totally check that video out. Looks interesting. Until ultimate I’ve always been a button masher in smash and it wasn’t much fun to lose a bunch to weak ai. This time I’ve got controls moved around and am focused on actually learning the game (just discovered a “smash attack” is a thing. Never knew but it explains so much about how my 80% could be killed but I couldn’t beat their 140%) so I’m happy to sit for 40 minutes and listen to someone rank characters. :)

What is Smash attack?

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! It's what the other joystick does! Try it; it's neat!

Or it's when you mash the left stick in a direction accompanied by the primary attack button. But the right stick makes it a consistent thing, yes, though can you charge it up that way?

ccesarano wrote:

Or it's when you mash the left stick in a direction accompanied by the primary attack button. But the right stick makes it a consistent thing, yes, though can you charge it up that way?

No, uncharged only with the stick.

You can also change the right stick to do something else. I changed it to do tilt attacks, because those are much more difficult for me to pull off on the fly than a smash attack.

jrralls wrote:

What is Smash attack?

More specifically, each character has an up smash, down smash, and side smash. You'll know you are doing a smash attack if you can charge it by holding the input. If you can't charge it, you probably did a tilt attack. Smash attacks are powerful and usually some of the best ways to knock opponents off the stage.

ccesarano wrote:

My old roommate and I had a friend that was all about tier lists, and we largely ignored him every time it came up. This is partially because the tier lists would update anytime someone would bring a low-tier character into a high profile tournament and win.

Always worth revisiting whenever tier lists are brought up: The Unbalanced Design of Super Smash Bros., Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

I was really enjoying WoL but hit a brick wall. I think it's a bit long. Sadly i'm pretty sure i'm like 95% done.

Spoiler:

I got to the 3rd "Map" Light vs Dark and just no desire to go further.

Dyni wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Or it's when you mash the left stick in a direction accompanied by the primary attack button. But the right stick makes it a consistent thing, yes, though can you charge it up that way?

No, uncharged only with the stick.

Actually you can charge it now. Pretty sure that's new with Ultimate and no one is talking about it.

But I accidentally did it the other day and then tried again to test and yes, you can now charge Smash with right stick

Stele wrote:
Dyni wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Or it's when you mash the left stick in a direction accompanied by the primary attack button. But the right stick makes it a consistent thing, yes, though can you charge it up that way?

No, uncharged only with the stick.

Actually you can charge it now. Pretty sure that's new with Ultimate and no one is talking about it.

But I accidentally did it the other day and then tried again to test and yes, you can now charge Smash with right stick

Huh, really? It has never been that way, so I didn't even think to check.

It still wouldn't make me change it from tilts to smash, but that's cool.

I learned about smash attacks by watching the how to play video on the vault. Just can't consistently do them. Have to try with the right stick.

I just finished and 100%'d World of Light, and I really enjoyed it. I have to remind myself that this is just a side mode for people like me that buy a multiplayer game but a) aren't good enough to play competitively and b) don't have any friends who play games. I'm really impressed that they managed to do so much with so little. Now that I've finished it, I feel like I've been on a proper journey. There's a lot of content in WoL and I felt like the further I got into it, the more interesting stuff I saw. I found the final stages in particular to be really interesting, and I was surprised that the game still had a few tricks up it sleeve even at that late stage. And speaking personally, I'm well aware of where my skill level is with fighting games, so I'm pretty happy with myself for managing to finish it on the Normal difficulty level. Some of those fights were tough!

Very happy with Smash Ultimate.

It's probably a bad idea to get too used to using the right stick for stuff. The next time we're playing on the train with a single Joycon we'll regret relying on the crutch.

...

What?

What’s the best way to play 2-player Smash ultimate when one player is way better than the other?

There should be rules that allow for a handicap. I'm not sure where they are yet, as I haven't messed around with those options before. I know before you jump into a regular Smash game it allows you to create a new rules set and within there you can turn handicap or damage adjustments on or off, as well as other options.

I need to go in and make one that will allow me to play with my niece and nephew on Christmas, because otherwise I'll obliterate 'em.

I think there are % damage handicaps. Not sure where it is in menu

Yes, use the handicaps. I have used those since back in Melee to play with lower skill or younger players.

One of my favorite Smash memories was a 3-on-1 match between my brother, cousin, and I (all in our 20s) vs. our 9 year old cousin. We set her handicap to max and our own a bit below the baseline. She could knock us off at around 60%, but we had to get her into the 600% range before we could KO her.

She just barely beat us, and more importantly, she was dying of laughter all most the whole match. It was great.

Play with the settings a bit. This series has always been great about allowing people of all skill levels to play together.

Also, make the better person use a sideways joycon, and the other gets a gamecube style controller. Sideways joycon is so awkward feeling it's an immediate handicap.

mrtomaytohead wrote:

Also, make the better person use a sideways joycon, and the other gets a gamecube style controller. Sideways joycon is so awkward feeling it's an immediate handicap.

Is it worse than sideways wiimote? Because that was terrible

jrralls wrote:

What’s the best way to play 2-player Smash ultimate when one player is way better than the other?

Okay, I'm in the menu now. I went to "Smash", then "Create New Ruleset". You have a lot of options, and one of them is Damage Handicap. The option is "Off", "Auto", and "On". "Auto" is how it worked on the WiiU and 3DS versions, where it modified and adjusted based on your performance (at least, that's the only handicap I found). "On" is where each player modifies it for themselves.

Oh look, it's Zero Suit Samus.

*looks at Zero Suit Samus*

Damn, those are some muscles. And the shows-a-lot-of-skin outfit is showing off the muscles rather than the T&A. Looks like the character is now a power fantasy instead of just a sex fantasy. That's a refreshing change.

Huh. My thought was that she was more sexualized in Ultimate. I always used the two-piece outfit because, for some reason, despite the skin, it seemed less sexualized and just... looked better. I've never really been a fan of the Zero Suit, so swapping to something closer to her Super Metroid one was preferable. I feel like the Ultimate render is, yeah, more muscular, but something about it seems like it's trying to be sexier.

I dunno. Eye of the beholder and etc. etc.

Speaking of characters, I finally unlocked Lucina followed by Ridley. I wasn't expecting it, but I've got my best Classic run with Lucina at around Intensity 8.1 or 8.3. Can't remember which specifically, but I was surprised to manage that with her. Played around with Ridley and while I don't think I'll be super good with him, I'm still happy with how he plays. He's got a grab move that's pretty nice and can take a surprising amount of punishment.

I've unlocked so many characters and yet I'm not sure I'm even halfway through.

I’ve unlocked every character! Well it was a team effort with my son, but it still counts!

jrralls wrote:

What’s the best way to play 2-player Smash ultimate when one player is way better than the other?

Coop Classic mode.

ccesarano wrote:

I feel like the Ultimate render is, yeah, more muscular, but something about it seems like it's trying to be sexier.

I dunno. Eye of the beholder and etc. etc.

I mean, she's not not sexy. But she's gone from "why are you here naked without your combat gear?" to "Yeah, I could see her holding her own against Ryu if it came to that."

I've always seen the Zero Suit as a de-powering thing. It takes the biggest badass Nintendo has and turns her into a sexy, un-threatening, fragile plaything for the (presumably male) player/viewer. This version of Zero Suit Samus still reads to me as a legitimate badass, and that makes all the difference. That's who she should always have been under that armor.

Finally have all the fighters unlocked. Kinda glad but will also miss it.

Me too!

I got this for Christmas. I would pay $10 without hesitation to unlock all the characters. The people I play with and I just want to mess around with all of the characters and beat each other up. Even using “fast” methods I found online it’s a slog.

Finally beat the first phase of World of Light. Wow. There's a lot to do there.

Planning on picking this up today. What controller is everyone using?

I got a pro controller on sale awhile back, and I'm using that. After a few rounds it felt comfortable enough that I stuck with it, instead of sticking the GamCube adapter in.