GWJFFL 2018: Gonzo League Discussion

ya, another good reason to shorten benches, ha

ukickmydog wrote:

Can we shorten benches more? With 16 slots and only 1 QB and 1 K, that leaves 14 slots for WR and RB.

Well, I would probably roster at least one backup QB (probably just handcuffing your starter), but I agree, cutting it by 2 was not sufficient.

Does a 12 man roster sound appropriate?

I should print these rules out so I can adequately explain this to regular FF people at parties.

Suggested chicken names:

Cluck Norris
Attilla the Hen
Albert Eggstein
Gregory Peck
Rooster Cogburn
Mother Clucker

Reminder to Gonzo players: don't place claims on AFC players! It's real easy when you're setting claims in a bunch of leagues to forget, but no, you can't have James Conner.

Any AFC players claimed will be force-cut by me in the morning. And the player you dropped will remain locked for waivers.

Welp, had to vacate a couple of free agent pickups. Pay attention to those conferences!

Also, garion is the first victim of losing a guy who joined an AFC team after being acquired, as Corey Coleman signed with the Patriots. He ded now!

And it's Week 2, so you have to bench everyone.

Correct. I'll be commish-editing starting lineups before the kickoffs tonight, Sunday, and Monday to ensure all lineups are empty.

I'll go ahead and wipe them out now, and just double-check before kickoff.

Oof, and I just noticed that I had not enabled the "allow regular season ties" rule setting, I'll go ahead and fix that.

*Legion* wrote:

Also, garion is the first victim of losing a guy who joined an AFC team after being acquired, as Corey Coleman signed with the Patriots. He ded now!

Yup, had him going bye bye on a waiver pickup for Saturday.

...I shouldn't have looked to see how many points I would have had this week.

Chaduba really wants Tyreek Hill. 2 weeks in a row, lol.

At what point do we not give people their FA money back for bad bids?

garion333 wrote:

At what point do we not give people their FA money back for bad bids?

Already happens. When I invalidate a FA claim, I am merely removing the player from the roster, just like how I removed Corey Coleman from yours once he signed in NE. The transaction that put him there still "happened", so the FA money is not restored.

Oldman also made a mistake and picked up Josh Lambo, but he noticed it on his own, and cut Lambo and picked up an NFC kicker. Good on you, oldy!

Man, I was trying to pick him up not knowing why I couldn't...I see now AFC. My bad.

*Legion* wrote:
garion333 wrote:

At what point do we not give people their FA money back for bad bids?

Already happens. When I invalidate a FA claim, I am merely removing the player from the roster, just like how I removed Corey Coleman from yours once he signed in NE. The transaction that put him there still "happened", so the FA money is not restored.

Oldman also made a mistake and picked up Josh Lambo, but he noticed it on his own, and cut Lambo and picked up an NFC kicker. Good on you, oldy!

Oh, well, then. Glad there's SOME pain involved.

*Legion* wrote:
garion333 wrote:

At what point do we not give people their FA money back for bad bids?

Already happens. When I invalidate a FA claim, I am merely removing the player from the roster, just like how I removed Corey Coleman from yours once he signed in NE. The transaction that put him there still "happened", so the FA money is not restored.

Oldman also made a mistake and picked up Josh Lambo, but he noticed it on his own, and cut Lambo and picked up an NFC kicker. Good on you, oldy!

Yeah, I had a brain fart. It happens.

Omg. Carson Wentz was available and I have no starting QB and picked up Bridgewater a couple weeks back.

I'm so screwed.

Week 4 and the Iron Man rule's already filled my bench with IR players.

Why am I going up against someone named Aldrick Robinson and he has 2 TDs already?

sh*t be crazy in the Gonzo league. Aldrick Robinson wins people championships.

Can someone post a link to the league so we can follow along?

Edit: NM, found it in the weekly thread. https://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leag...

Me trying to explain Gonzo rules to non-Gonzo FF players:

Man, do bye weeks make things interesting.

Honestly, bye weeks kinda ruin things. There's simply not enough players to form a starting lineup even if WR4s and 5s from NFC teams.

When it comes to Gonzo League, not being able to fill out a complete lineup is a feature, not a bug.

Hmm. Now I'm imagining a rule mod where you don't have an effective starting lineup limit. You can just play everyone on your roster that's playing. Rather than "best ball", it's "all the balls". Which would make for some interesting lineup juggling as you would still have roster limits, but rather than just sitting injured and bye week players, you'd have an incentive to cut them and add someone that's playing that week.

Eh, still say the rules need to changed, or go to an auction draft. This league was effectively done when the draft order was released.

*Legion* wrote:

When it comes to Gonzo League, not being able to fill out a complete lineup is a feature, not a bug.

I get that, I think the NFC-only players is a bad rule. Or at least makes it not terribly fun. There's so little to do...

ukickmydog wrote:

Eh, still say the rules need to changed, or go to an auction draft. This league was effectively done when the draft order was released.

Auction would've been the way to go, but we didn't even know what the rules would be until right before the draft. If we had a couple weeks to think about strategy we probably would've went auction.

Live and learn.

Definitely going to draw rules earlier next year, possibly with some sort of "draw 2, vote to pick one" setup or something.

And hopefully draw from a deeper rule mod set! I may make registering for the league require coming up with 1 or 2 rule ideas with your reg. If only I wasn't worried about whether or not we can actually fill leagues...