My Old-A** Body Is Breaking Down Catch-All

Just got my new machine from Phillips due to the recall. Of course it comes with a new hose and I had just bought a new one. The new machine also uses different filters for both filters so have to buy new filters for it. The nice thing is it takes up much less space on the little table next to my side of the bed.

Rainsmercy wrote:

Just got my new machine from Phillips due to the recall. Of course it comes with a new hose and I had just bought a new one. The new machine also uses different filters for both filters so have to buy new filters for it. The nice thing is it takes up much less space on the little table next to my side of the bed.

that's what amazes me. The one I have has about the footprint of a brick and maybe half again as high (if the brick were laid flat instead of tall) and I remember the one my dad had 15 years ago was about the size of a microwave.

thrawn82 wrote:
Rainsmercy wrote:

Just got my new machine from Phillips due to the recall. Of course it comes with a new hose and I had just bought a new one. The new machine also uses different filters for both filters so have to buy new filters for it. The nice thing is it takes up much less space on the little table next to my side of the bed.

that's what amazes me. The one I have has about the footprint of a brick and maybe half again as high (if the brick were laid flat instead of tall) and I remember the one my dad had 15 years ago was about the size of a microwave.

Yeah, the new one is about that size, and when it is just sitting in my bedroom, the circle light around the power button is on, so last night for example, I went to bed after my wife and it practically lit up the whole room. Thankfully when I was using it, no lights on at all, but that is pretty annoying how bright it is and no settings to shut it off or turn down the brightness.

When I have those kind of lights, I put tape over them to either dim or hide them.

My APAP arrived my APAP arrived OMG yay!!

Goodnight Veloxi, let us know how it sleeps.

Congrats Veloxi, sleep well and dream of....well pleasant things!

I think I either passed the kidney tone(fingers crossed) or its moved somewhere that isn't bothering me. Hoping for the former rather than the latter.

Man good luck with that.

So my first night with the APAP was weird. I’ve been having more and more issues with claustrophobia of late (ask me about the incident on the cruise a couple of months ago if you wanna know) and so first, I had to remove the first mask entirely because it was too small and panic set in nearly right away.

Switched to the largest mask they sent, which was far better, but four times I’d be lying there, breathing, when something would set off the panic, and I’d have to take it off and breathe normally for a spell before trying again. Eventually I did fall asleep, and I slept well when I did. According to the app there were only about 7 incidents per hour, which is far better than 52.

Hopefully tonight will be better.

I also signed up for Better Help to get some help with the claustrophobic issues. Therapy is the best when you need it.

I would also see if there is something that combines claustrophobia with APAP. It isn't something I suffer from, but I can see how those two would go together.

Do you have a nasal mask? I wonder if just shoving stuff up your nostrals would help.

IMAGE(https://images.cpap.com/products/resmed/resmed-airfit-p10-nasal-pillow-mask/AirFit-nasal-pillow-front-cpapdotcom.jpg?height=450&optimize=medium&auto=webp)

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

I wonder if just shoving stuff up your nostrals would help.

That does nooooot sound appealing. I think I'll be okay with the "bomber mask" once I get used to it.

It takes some getting used to, but once you do it is the only way to sleep.

What is the name of the device people used that allowed them to skip going to a location for a sleep test?

An at home sleep study kit

karmajay wrote:

What is the name of the device people used that allowed them to skip going to a location for a sleep test?

I'm not sure the technical name for the thing but this is what I used, a WatchPAT 200:

IMAGE(https://cpapsupplies.com/media/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Watch-PAT200-Hand-2-300x206.jpg)

Veloxi wrote:

So my first night with the APAP was weird. I’ve been having more and more issues with claustrophobia of late (ask me about the incident on the cruise a couple of months ago if you wanna know) and so first, I had to remove the first mask entirely because it was too small and panic set in nearly right away.

Switched to the largest mask they sent, which was far better, but four times I’d be lying there, breathing, when something would set off the panic, and I’d have to take it off and breathe normally for a spell before trying again. Eventually I did fall asleep, and I slept well when I did. According to the app there were only about 7 incidents per hour, which is far better than 52.

Hopefully tonight will be better.

I also signed up for Better Help to get some help with the claustrophobic issues. Therapy is the best when you need it.

I had a similar claustrophobia response when I started using my face mask. It faded pretty quickly with familiarity, and as I recall I wasn't having any issues by the end of the first week. Now if I could just figure out how to prevent myself from taking my mask halfway off in my sleep...

benign1 wrote:

I had a similar claustrophobia response when I started using my face mask. It faded pretty quickly with familiarity, and as I recall I wasn't having any issues by the end of the first week. Now if I could just figure out how to prevent myself from taking my mask halfway off in my sleep...

I'm glad to hear it faded for you!!

Veloxi wrote:
UpToIsomorphism wrote:

I wonder if just shoving stuff up your nostrals would help.

That does nooooot sound appealing. I think I'll be okay with the "bomber mask" once I get used to it.

After I got over my disappointment of not sounding like Darth Vader I just thought of it more as a scuba mask.

Who needs a nasal mask when you could just put a fan up your nose!

IMAGE(https://lummystore.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/1-2.png)

Does it work?

karmajay wrote:

Does it work?

Would also like to know. I only snore when on my back and used to use a mouth thing which did work. I'm interested in how well this thing works.

-BEP

I googled "Electronic Anti Snoring Device" and all the reviews are pretty terrible for devices like that one.

…as prophecy foretold.

karmajay wrote:

Does it work?

I've looked into those and asked my Dr (as well as the sleep therapists) and they simply don't provide the air pressure needed to keep your airway open. In addition, the lack of any sort of humidity (my CPAP has a humidity chamber which moistens the air stream) can cause health issues later in life. The sleep therapists also (but admitted they had not looked into it) expressed concern on how it stays connected to your nose, given you (well, me at least) need a decently high pressure to keep my airway open. They also noted the small size of the fans, as well as concerns about the battery life.

I have also seen people say "if it really worked, it would be sold everywhere and advocated for by Drs. I mean, under $50 vs $1800 for a CPAP??

I can't imagine that thing working as shown. How does it stay on? Why isn't he wearing a chin strap to keep the air from blowing out his mouth?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I can't imagine that thing working as shown. How does it stay on? Why isn't he wearing a chin strap to keep the air from blowing out his mouth?

I have a CPAP (I use a nasal only mask) and I don't need a chin strap to keep my mouth closed.

A decade or so ago, I strained muscles in both my calves playing flag-football on a 2G pitch. It was annoying and debilitating enough that I eventually quite the league I was playing in.

Fast forward to a month ago, and I strained my left calf playing football on a grass pitch. I took three weeks off, but the injury has re-occurred.

Since 3 weeks rest didn't fix the problem, my current plan is to tape up my calf (old-school zinc oxide tape, not that Kinesio) and continue training.

I can foresee this not going well (I fear that my lower leg will come off WITH the tape after my next session). Does anyone have any suggestions/miracle cures?

detroit20 wrote:

A decade or so ago, I strained muscles in both my calves playing flag-football on a 2G pitch. It was annoying and debilitating enough that I eventually quite the league I was playing in.

Fast forward to a month ago, and I strained my left calf playing football on a grass pitch. I took three weeks off, but the injury has re-occurred.

Since 3 weeks rest didn't fix the problem, my current plan is to tape up my calf (old-school zinc oxide tape, not that Kinesio) and continue training.

I can foresee this not going well (I fear that my lower leg will come off WITH the tape after my next session). Does anyone have any suggestions/miracle cures?

I had something similar with my back and weight lifting. When I went to the doctor (US) he gave me a muscle relaxer, some pain meds, and said that I was lucky to be as active as I was at my weight and age.

So, unless you have access to a bacta tank, I don't have much to say. Other than I am right there with you friend.

detroit20 wrote:

A decade or so ago, I strained muscles in both my calves playing flag-football on a 2G pitch. It was annoying and debilitating enough that I eventually quite the league I was playing in.

Fast forward to a month ago, and I strained my left calf playing football on a grass pitch. I took three weeks off, but the injury has re-occurred.

Since 3 weeks rest didn't fix the problem, my current plan is to tape up my calf (old-school zinc oxide tape, not that Kinesio) and continue training.

I can foresee this not going well (I fear that my lower leg will come off WITH the tape after my next session). Does anyone have any suggestions/miracle cures?

Best I can give you is to do a proper warmup before and an ice compress after to help the muscles. Sucks getting old. Regular stretching of the muscles helps as well.

Thanks for the swift responses, UpToIsoMorphism and Tundra! You've confirmed what Google already told me: I am old, and; no miracle breakthroughs have been made since my last internet search.

Gosh, I really took my body for granted when I was younger. As with everything else, had I known how things would turn out, then I'd have taken much better care of it.