[Discussion] Hope to Remember The Trump Administration Thread as being 'transparent and honest'

Let's follow and discuss what our newest presidential administration gets up to, the good, the bad, the lawsuits, and the many many indictments.

SallyNasty wrote:

Protip - there is a difference between appeasement and giving them a constant source of ammunition.

There are 327,000,000 people in America. If someone wants to find a liberal to base their hateful views on, by golly they'll find one. The effort to be technically correct is better spent on the opposition than your allies.

That knife cuts both ways. I have a higher expectation of those whose views I respect than of those towards whom I condescend.

SallyNasty wrote:

That knife cuts both ways. I have a higher expectation of those whose views I respect than of those towards whom I condescend.

You basically keep saying the same thing in different ways. It’s Tone Policing, Appeasement, Tolerate the intolerance, etc. etc.

You place the burden of change on the oppressed. If only we didn’t paint an entire race with a broad brush then maybe things would be better. If only we engaged with them civilly then perhaps they wouldn’t be so oppressive.

No one actually believes all white people are racists but to my original point, what good has that gotten POC in America? How much difference have all those so called “good ones” made?

What difference does it make if every POC in America just assumes that every white person is racist? Your life as a white person goes completely unchanged. Institutional racism has effectively removed any wealth, power, or even interaction with POC.

It’s up to white people to make change and we can’t even agree that there’s a problem and worse we want to frame the discussion to make sure all the problem people are made to feel better and not to blame.

f*ck them all.

You must not be reading my posts at all so I see no further need to engage other than to say, Jesus dude - I am olive branching in every single post and saying I agree with the substance of your posts and your position. Not every time someone says "make your argument in a different way" is tone policing and if no one actually believes all white people are racists, why even say it? Hyperbole is what got us into this mess.

So you understand where I am coming from, my dad lives in farm country in Northern Missouri and there were almost as many Hillary signs as there were Trump signs on those farm gates. That is great you feel comfortable writing off everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you - but their votes count just as much as yours does. While there is absolutely a group of deplorables - and I agree that f*ck em, they aren't coming back - but there is also a group of low information voters, people who don't think much about what their vote does and who it affects, that just follow the tide and vote the way people around them vote. Those people are both A) reachable and B) easily swayed by the tone with which they are approached. I firmly believe that Trump won more because he kissed ignorant voters asses and told them how awesome they are than because every Trump voter is a racist(to be clear, I agree that whatever their motivation for voting for him was - they enabled racism. That isn't up for debate). I am confident every midwestern liberal on this board can understand why I would feel this way.

My position is that there is room for allies of both stripes - one like yours, where you use rage to signal boost and one like mine - where I use my white privilege to try and reach those people who can be reached with compassion and an attempt at empathy/education. Quit treating me and others like me as though we are part of the f*cking problem - we are trying(in a different way) to be part of the solution(which is complex and requires multiple tactics). Save the fight for those who actually oppose you.

Not every time someone says "make your argument in a different way" is tone policing and if no one actually believes all white people are racists, why even say it? Hyperbole is what got us into this mess.

"in a nutshell."
It means: I'm generalizing this vast tree of nuance down to a seed of essence.

I don't like telling a POC what they should and shouldn't say about white people being characterized as an olive branch.

Delbin wrote:

I don't like telling a POC what they should and shouldn't say about white people being characterized as an olive branch.

I am pretty sure GG is white, with a mixed family. Please correct me if I am wrong, because agree majority doesn't get to tell minority what is and isn't racism.

SallyNasty wrote:

I just always assume the internet is white guys yelling at each other.

Assuming any given person on the internet is a white man when white men are less than 50% of the population seems neither wise nor statistically smart.

I meant it in snark as white dudes are typically the most vocal about screaming their opinions at everyone. I removed it as it didn't land.

SallyNasty wrote:

Protip - there is a difference between appeasement and giving them a constant source of ammunition.

They just make it up anyway.

I think the “most woke” contest progressives play in condemning each other has really improved the lives of POC. We should keep doing that!

Jayhawker wrote:

I think the “most woke” contest progressives play in condemning each other has really improved the lives of POC. We should keep doing that!

Couldn't agree more and your comment is well recieved. Sorry for my part in the derail.

Gamers With Jobs: We can make you more woke, but not necessarily any better at Dark Souls or EU4.

Rat Boy wrote:

Gamers With Jobs: We can make you more woke, but not necessarily any better at Dark Souls or EU4.

That just takes persistence and endurance.

I don't care who is and who ain't U-238, we gotta do something about the background radiation up in this bitch.

Rat Boy wrote:

Gamers With Jobs: We can make you more woke, but not necessarily any better at Dark Souls or EU4.

#NotAllGamersWithJobs

Toledo.

Rat Boy wrote:

Gamers With Jobs: We can make you more woke, but not necessarily any better at Dark Souls or EU4.

FWIW I’m all about embracing colonial imperialism and Eurocentrism in EU4. Unless I’m playing the Ottomans.

It's the sign of the times when Trump spent the morning talking about involuntarily locking up "mentally disturbed individuals who may commit acts of violence” and Cesar Sayoc's--aka the MAGA Bomber--lawyer spent the afternoon explaining how his client became "obsessed" with Trump who's hateful rhetoric slowly "deranged" him and contributed to him sending 16 pipe bombs to Trump's critics, including a former President, a former Vice President, a former Secretary of State, three sitting US Senators, a former Director of National Intelligence, a former CIA Director, and a former US Attorney General. 20 years for trying to murder 13 people because an angry orange man told him to.

The problem, of course, with "involuntarily locking up" people with mental health issues is that most of the shooters are perfectly sane.

Humans seem to have an innate need to believe that insanity is required to commit murder, because that pushes the murderer out of the community of the sane. Agatha Christie, of all people, repeatedly discusses this in her books; one of her major themes is about what causes people to commit murder.

Humans do need to get pretty worked up to kill, as a general rule. We have rules and social practices that enable us to cross those boundaries, and its still often traumatizing.

But you can perfectly logically and rationally decide to commit cold-blooded mass murder. It's been done plenty of times. Get IBM to make computers to help you track your murders. Tattoo database record numbers on the skin of those you plan to kill. Have a nice Saturday brunch afterward.

Locking up people with mental issues is one of the standard scapegoating tactics, of course. The usual course of affairs is that they then become the next victims of the genocidal murderers.

Gremlin wrote:

The problem, of course, with "involuntarily locking up" people with mental health issues is that most of the shooters are perfectly sane.

Humans seem to have an innate need to believe that insanity is required to commit murder, because that pushes the murderer out of the community of the sane. Agatha Christie, of all people, repeatedly discusses this in her books; one of her major themes is about what causes people to commit murder.

Humans do need to get pretty worked up to kill, as a general rule. We have rules and social practices that enable us to cross those boundaries, and its still often traumatizing.

But you can perfectly logically and rationally decide to commit cold-blooded mass murder. It's been done plenty of times. Get IBM to make computers to help you track your murders. Tattoo database record numbers on the skin of those you plan to kill. Have a nice Saturday brunch afterward.

Locking up people with mental issues is one of the standard scapegoating tactics, of course. The usual course of affairs is that they then become the next victims of the genocidal murderers.

By a natural progression of logic from Republican /45 talking points, every soldier we train, we make mentally unstable. Now that’s a whole other box to unpack anyway, but they love to play up that they support the troops and law enforcement, whom many are and were former soldiers.

So people in Times Square panicked and ran last night because a motorcycle backfired and today the headquarters of USA Today were evacuated over a report of someone with a gun and Trump used his power of the bully pulpit to tell Beto (who he claimed had a fake Hispanic name) to be quiet and respect law enforcement; claim that South Korea is going to pay the US $990 million to protect it; castigate the NYT's for giving into public pressure to change their bullsh*t headline of "Trump Urges Unity vs. Racism" to the much more accurate "Assailing Hate But Not Guns;" tweet a quote from Tucker Carlson who just claimed that white supremacy was a hoax; tweet a headline from One America News saying the Dayton shooter supported Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Antifa (Thank You!); rail at the Fed for not cutting interest rates more and faster while erroneously claiming that "money is pouring into the U.S.;" lament how boring a Biden speech was while claiming that the country would do poorly economically with him as president; claim that his visit to Dayton was filled with "tremendous enthusiasm & even Love" and then immediately trashing "Failed Presidential Candidate (0%)" Sen. Sherrod Brown (Brown was never a presidential candidate) and Dayton Mayor Whaley saying their press conference after he left was a fraud; said that he'd rather watch "Fake News CNN" than Fox News' only actual journalist, Shepard Smith, and then admitted he turns on One America News instead; and then tweeted a promotional/b-roll video of him visiting Dayton and shaking hands with doctors and law enforcement. And the day isn't even over yet.

So the NYTimes was on point once again when they said he was "urging unity."

This is murder

Aldaoud said in the video that he had been homeless, vomiting because of a lack of access to insulin and unable to speak the language in Iraq. He also said he had been kicked while sleeping in the street.

“I begged them,” he said of his conversations with ICE agents. “I said, ‘Please, I’ve never seen that country, I’ve never been there.’ However, they forced me.”

DSGamer wrote:

This is murder

Aldaoud said in the video that he had been homeless, vomiting because of a lack of access to insulin and unable to speak the language in Iraq. He also said he had been kicked while sleeping in the street.

“I begged them,” he said of his conversations with ICE agents. “I said, ‘Please, I’ve never seen that country, I’ve never been there.’ However, they forced me.”

and don't think for a second it's not working as intended.

*Another story from the land of Duh!

Dayton Mayor Calls Trump ‘A Bully And A Coward’

Days after a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, the city’s Democratic mayor, Nan Whaley, called President Donald Trump a “bully and a coward” after he came after her and Sen. Sherrod Brown (D) for supposedly “misrepresenting” his visit to shooting victims in a hospital.

In an interview on CNN late Wednesday, Whaley was asked her response to the president reportedly calling her and Brown “very dishonest people” after his visit.

“I’ve watched President Trump’s Twitter feed for a while. He’s a bully and a coward,” the mayor said. “And it’s fine that he wants to bully me and Sen. Brown. We’re OK. We can take it. But the citizens of Dayton deserve action.”

Over the weekend, two horrific mass shootings occurred within 24 hours in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton. In Dayton, the shooter left nine people dead and injured over two dozen others.

Trump tweeted earlier Wednesday that Whaley and Brown were “totally misrepresenting” his hospital visit at a news conference they gave.

At that news conference, however, Whaley had said the victims and first responders were “grateful” for Trump’s visit. She also called the president’s past rhetoric “divisive.”

At a stop in El Paso the same day, Trump also told reporters that Whaley and Brown were “very dishonest” and said: “I get on Air Force One where they do have a lot of televisions. I turn on the television and there they are saying, ‘Well, I don’t know if it was appropriate for the president to be here.’”

Gotta say Mayor Whaley has impressed me with her no bullsh*t way of handling a terrible crisis, hordes of media attention, and a president who just wanted to make the worst mass shooting in Ohio's history all about him so he could get footage for a campaign ad he released shortly after the wheels of AF1 left the tarmac at Wright-Patt.

thrawn82 wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

This is murder

Aldaoud said in the video that he had been homeless, vomiting because of a lack of access to insulin and unable to speak the language in Iraq. He also said he had been kicked while sleeping in the street.

“I begged them,” he said of his conversations with ICE agents. “I said, ‘Please, I’ve never seen that country, I’ve never been there.’ However, they forced me.”

and don't think for a second it's not working as intended.

Not only is Stephen Miller not losing a second of sleep, he's probably steepling his fingers together and saying "excellent" like Mr. Burns when reading this.

A 39-year-old Montana man attacked a 13-year-old at the Mineral County Fair and Rodeo over the weekend. The man picked up the boy by his throat and body slammed him so hard that he fractured the boy's skull, caused him to bleed from the ears for hours, and sent him into convulsions.

The man claimed that the boy was disrespecting the national anthem because he didn't remove his hat and that he had every right to attack him.

The man's lawyers are now claiming that he suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident and, because of that, he believed Trump had ordered him to attack the boy: "His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished. He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."

What a f*cking troglodyte. And claiming diminished responsibility is just the icing on the cake. This whole week has just been an utter sh*t show.