My old motherboard died 2 weeks ago so now I need a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I've been agonizing over whether to choose Intel or AMD during this time. My old build lasted a good 6 years with only a GPU upgrade and I hope the new one can keep on trucking for a good while.
The points I've been thinking about:
- Intel has better performance in almost all games.
- Tomshardware recommends the Ryzen 7 2700X as Best overall gaming CPU
- Intels 1151 socket will be obsolete next generation whereas AMD will support AM4 for at least one more Ryzen generation, giving the option of a cheaper upgrade in 2-3 years.
- I have a GeForce 1070 and primarily play on a 1080p 60hz monitor, sometimes on a 4K TV, and my next upgrade will probably be a 1440p monitor. If gaming at higher than 1080p then all CPUs are equal because you are GPU limited (even on a 1080 Ti).
- Should I therefore buy a cheap CPU now and wait for a GPU upgrade?
- What will this look like with the next generation of GPUs?
- Some games have added great support for multiple cores/threads resulting in Ryzen CPUs taking the top spots in their benchmarks (See Tomb Raider benchmark here). Will upcoming games make similarly good use of multiple cores? We know that both PS4 and Xbox One have 8 low frequency cores (PS4: [email protected], XBO: [email protected], XBOX: [email protected]) so it makes sense to think that games will make increasingly better use of multiple cores. Or maybe just a pipe dream?
- Above point means Ryzen is more future proof?
- Again, Intel has the best performance in almost all current games.
Surviving parts from my old build
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: OCZ - ZS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
What I'm mulling over
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores / 12 threads)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (6/12)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8/16)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8/16)
Intel Core i5-8400 (6/6)
Intel Core i5-8600 (6/6)
Intel Core i5-8600K (6/6)
Intel Core i7-8700 (6/12)
Intel Core i7-8700K (6/12)
I'm sure there are more people on the forums than just me struggling with this choice today who would really appreciate some valuable feedback.