WoW: Battle for Azeroth (8.1 patch drops Dec. 11)

astralplaydoh wrote:

I've been in a very friendly, casual horde guild. We completed the raid on normal last week. We're currently 8/8N, 3/8H. It's pretty fun.

He. Me, too, exactly. We're on Cenarion Circle if anyone wants the same on an RP server.

I'm still looking for a guild/people to raid with or do a weekly Mythic+ with.

So I’ve been reviewing the 8.1 patch notes and it looks like the changes will be much more supportive of casual play, especially if you have alts coming up or want to level an alt through the BFA content. Anyone else excited for the patch or am I just getting my hopes up?

It would be better if that XP buff for completing Faction Assaults was account wide. (you know, so that you don't have to be level 110+ to take advantage of it... you know like the majority of alts...)
The rumor is out on the XP bonuses. The report is that they are minuscule on the PTR but that could be par for the course. Live servers could see the XP increased

They do still have regular demon invasions in the Legion content zones (for level 100-110 alts) which are a great XP source.

Still playing. Still enjoying it. We need way more people on the GWJ guild alliance side.

astralplaydoh wrote:

Still playing. Still enjoying it. We need way more people on the GWJ guild alliance side.

The only people I ever see on in the GWJ guild are Enix (Jorrn), myself (Dimira), and a warlock named Peppersomething.

I'm there almost every day. Astralle. Mage.

I'll be back at some point, probably after I've had my fill of West Virginia. I'm still meandering through WotLK content though. I'm working my way through Grizzly Hills. I think I just finished out the Worgen storyline, which was kind of hilarious being one myself.

My Horde main is at the point where I just log in for raid night.

Im really excited to get back to my void elf. and it looks like i might be able to snag a dark iron dwarf this week (i've been really slacking on grinding up 7th legion) Does the new battleground open up this week or is there a delay?

Vargen wrote:

I'll be back at some point, probably after I've had my fill of West Virginia. I'm still meandering through WotLK content though. I'm working my way through Grizzly Hills. I think I just finished out the Worgen storyline, which was kind of hilarious being one myself.

My Horde main is at the point where I just log in for raid night.

Wait is WotLK West Virginia? Because I can kind of see that.

thrawn82 wrote:

Im really excited to get back to my void elf. and it looks like i might be able to snag a dark iron dwarf this week (i've been really slacking on grinding up 7th legion) Does the new battleground open up this week or is there a delay?

Yes, Battle for Darkshore opens tomorrow!

List of things coming tomorrow:
- The war campaign will continue.

- Dwarves and Blood Elves will receive heritage armor. These will be the first non-allied races to receive the feature. To unlock them, you must have a level 120 character of that race. Furthermore, reach exalted with either Ironforge or Silvermoon, respectively. Finally, complete the new questlines.

- Paragon reputation rewards are available. Unlike in Legion, only pets are available.

- Saurfang and Tyrande Questlines debut. Help or hinder Saurfang as he eludes Sylvanas’ dark rangers and witness Tyrande’s ascent as a Night Warrior.

- Havenswood and Jorundall join the Island Expedition lineup. There is also a new vendor that accepts Seafarer’s Dubloons as currency.

- Incursions, a feature similar to legion invasions, will occur sporadically on Zandalar and Kul Tiras. Completing four world quests and taking out the enemy commander will give a great experience to anyone leveling an alt.

- Credit towards reputation achievements will be account wide. Additionally, reputation items like tabards will only be gated from use when being bought, allowing all characters to transmog them.

- Account-wide flight paths will teach an alt all the flight paths available to your faction. The war campaign vendors sell these for 100g.

- The zone of Darkshore is revamped. The new Darkshore warfront is opened, alongside new currencies which buy toys, pets, and mounts.

- All class changes will be implemented.

- Experience needed to level from level 20 to 120 reduced. The biggest reductions come in the level 60 range at 40%.

- Reaching revered with Champions of Azeroth on one character unlocks all upgrades for alts.

Source: https://www.killping.com/blog/wow-pa...

Wait are they slowing or speeding leveling?

lunchbox12682 wrote:

Wait are they slowing or speeding leveling?

Speeding it up significantly up to 110. Levels 40-75 reduced by 30% up to 40% in the middle then tapering back down to 30%. Then it continues to curve down through 110. 110 through 120 is appears pretty much unchanged.

Hazelnuttygames has a pretty good breakdown of the leveling changes in the vid below. The video also details all the changes if you want to sit through it. She does a pretty good job when she doesn't ramble about cosmetic stuff and pets.
https://youtu.be/sRM-I3F_RMc?t=266

Wait, wait, wait...
"Experience gained from level 20 to 120 reduced. The biggest reductions come in the level 60 range at 40%."

It will take even longer to level from 20-120? Or is that a typo and it takes less XP to level with the biggest dip at 60?
Because the latter makes a hell of a lot more sense but I would not put it past post Diablo Immortal Blizzard to add more grind to WoW.

edit: Sydharthausered!
And 110-120 may be unchanged but these Invasions and the hour XP buff "should" make that quicker too.

Sydhart wrote:

- Experience gained from level 20 to 120 reduced. The biggest reductions come in the level 60 range at 40%.

Hmm. I hope I can still fit all the Alliance-exclusive quests in on one character before they go gray. Though I also have most of Kalimdor still to see, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

It sounds like they mean the experience required to level is being reduced?

thrawn82 wrote:

It sounds like they mean the experience required to level is being reduced?

Yes, that is what it is. I revised their wording in the post above.

The single greatest change in this patch doesn’t appear to be in the patch notes- they removed part of a railing and added a small ledge on the platform where the 7th Legion Emissary hangs out next to the Alliance Ship in Boralus. Now you can easily jump from the stairs onto the platform whereas before it required two precise jumps if you didn’t feel like going all the way around to the stairs or using the rope ladder.

ruhk wrote:

The single greatest change in this patch doesn’t appear to be in the patch notes- they removed part of a railing and added a small ledge on the platform where the 7th Legion Emissary hangs out next to the Alliance Ship in Boralus. Now you can easily jump from the stairs onto the platform whereas before it required two precise jumps if you didn’t feel like going all the way around to the stairs or using the rope ladder. :P

YES! Best quality of life improvement to date.

So excited. I got the new Ashenvale Chimera mount on my first kill in Dark Shore. I've never been that lucky. 10 years of farming Ashes of Al'ar and still no mount!

congrats!

Sydhart wrote:

YES! Best quality of life improvement to date.

It was so subtle that I didn't realize that I benefited from it until ruhk mentioned it!

Oh and leveling in the 55-60 range is much speedier. (thank the lord)
I am really rusty on my characters. I played my 116 rogue and my 59 lock and spammed attacks until I remembered what my rotation was. I even fumbled through remembering what spec I was on my rogue. (a pointy stabby thing in each hand? check, I'm good to go.)

I'm unclear on whether you have to unlock world quests on both horde and alliance? I know I have world quests on horde from my 120 DH. But I can't recall what level they unlock at and it doesn't seem I have them unlocked on alliance. (my highest is 116 NH rogue)

fangblackbone wrote:

I'm unclear on whether you have to unlock world quests on both horde and alliance? I know I have world quests on horde from my 120 DH. But I can't recall what level they unlock at and it doesn't seem I have them unlocked on alliance. (my highest is 116 NH rogue)

Yes, they are unlocked separately.

You unlock WQs at 120, and you have to do it separately on each character.

Back in Legionville, the Legion invasions would show up before you hit 110, so they were (are) great ways to grind out a lot of XP quickly.

There's something similar in BfA (incursions?) but I haven't been bothered to figure out if they act like WQs (available at max level only) or if they give tons of XP or if they're even up yet.

Enix wrote:

There's something similar in BfA (incursions?) but I haven't been bothered to figure out if they act like WQs (available at max level only) or if they give tons of XP or if they're even up yet.

Incursions are available to all levels and are worth a lot of exp. Great way to level up.

Okay so I just about rage quit after only just resubbing on Tuesday.

The story has seriously made me not want to play horde. I hate to add my voice to the angry internet but:

Spoiler:

I am given the choice to kill Syra Moonwarden or to not and have Nathanos kill her? And then she is turned into a Forsaken? f*ck that! You realize I am a demon hunter and Syra helped me as a fledgling DH right?

I mean they just hit all the wrong things for me like they are trying to kill WoW:
My main from launch is a Night Elf druid
I love Maeiv
Highest on my wishlist for new classes is the warden from WC3
I love Malfurion who I guess is more powerful than moon goddess imbued Tyrande(?)
I love Tyrande and she gets all supered up (cool!) and then punked (wtf!)
I loved Sylvannas and they made her an incompetent ruler who is only saved by stupid muahaha villainy for villainy's sake
They f*cked Syra who is both a warden and guided my DH (oh but she has her reasons for accepting the dark gift, ooh, I'm on the edge of my seat! Nah, they'll f*ck that up too.)

Well, thank you for taking the hit as I was close to resubbing, but I'm just too worried about the current story line.

Well if you want to get some of your lowbie alts leveled, questing is actually enjoyable now.
It is like the way xp was turned out to be a soft gate to the level 90+ content. I can imagine Blizz sitting around a board room saying, "We'll let you do it, but it is going to take a LONG time because reasons and everything is fine."
I mean, how can you call it fine if the bulk of it needed to be reduced by 25-40%. 1-5% is fine tuning and heck I'll grant you even up to 10%. But 40%? Jeebus.
The Darkshore world quest stuff is expanded upon and fun. Who knows about the Incursions and whether the new warfront is a reskin or not.

Can anyone weigh in about the Alliance storyline? I’m still having fun but all the best of 2018 threads make me realize how few other games I played this year.