GWJ Conference Call Episode 599

Far Cry 5, Vermintide 2, Ni No Kuni II, Guest Rob Daviau Launches Fireball Island, Your Emails and More!

Click here to download!

This week Julian, Shawn and Allen are joined by Rob Daviau to talk about the Fireball Island Kickstarter launch and more!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind.

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Comments

Sounds like they've taken something that was always a bit of a problem in Far Cry, the separation of story and gameplay, and made it worse. On the Easy Allies show Frame Trap they were saying that they'd like the story and gameplay to be mixed together more finely so your wild adventures aren't brought to a screeching halt quite so dramatically.

I'm going to skip Far Cry 5 for now. To me it feels like the series is being GTAified. I prefer the grim and gritty entries in the series. Far Cry 4 grabbed me because Pagan Min was such a complete and utter bastard and I wanted to stop him from destroying people's lives. I actually liked the 'no good choices' aspect of the story (also you can ride elephants.)

I always like the way Naughty Dog do transitions to cut scenes. There is a hole in a fence or a short drop or a window to climb through and the cut scene triggers from there. Feels a lot smoother and preserves player agency.

00:01:40 Warhammer: Vermintide 2
00:11:27 Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
00:15:06 Far Cry 5
00:25:30 Fireball Island Kickstarter
00:48:08 Your Emails

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Rat Boy wrote:

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Did we ever give the impression that our judgement was silent?

Rat Boy wrote:

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Yeah, to think all my "friends" tolerated my weird-smelling house and odd snacks only for my board game.

wordsmythe wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Did we ever give the impression that our judgement was silent? ;)

Or that it was limited to your ownership of Fireball Island?

Jonman wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Did we ever give the impression that our judgement was silent? ;)

Or that it was limited to your ownership of Fireball Island?

Is it the Lawn Darts?

Rat Boy wrote:
Jonman wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

All these years later and I didn't know I was being silently judged for owning the original Fireball Island.

Did we ever give the impression that our judgement was silent? ;)

Or that it was limited to your ownership of Fireball Island?

Is it the Lawn Darts?

It's more what you did with them.

For anyone who thinks Vermintide 2 co-op with friends sounds interesting, but doesn't have anyone to play with, despair not (at least in North-America-friendly timezones)! There is a solid crew of GWJers playing regularly and using voice comms through the GWJ server on the Twitch/Curse app with people playing pretty much every night, and we'd love to have you join us. We are a friendly bunch, and happy to play with you even if you've missed learning the game at release with everyone else. Expect a long tail of GWJer activity as well, as there were a few regulars still playing Vermintide 1 right up until 2 released. Vermintide 2 discussion over in the Vermintide thread starts here.

I have been enjoying Far Cry 5 - the 'forced story' thing isn't so bad, if a little clumsy. Theres a little meter, and you can sorta see when it's likely to happen. Most 'open' games seem to drag you into a 'here have some story' point at some trigger moment, be it reaching a location, meeting a dude, killing the thing or whatever. .

They have also made the way the map and outposts work a lot better, you garner the locations by just talking to people. They might tell you about something that happened or something they heard etc and it gives you the info a lot more organically than in the past (climb the tower, bash the control box in and here, have some locations!). It feels a lot nicer, it all kind of rolls out the locations and stuff to go do as you play in a more natural way.

To me it fills the Far Cry niche of big, dumb (and often pretty) fun quite nicely. But I do agree that a lot of the time they seem to be hovering their finger over the 'controversy' button, but not actually game to push it.

Oy, a CC email about getting old.

I'm with Allen, I am a SW developer and sit working at a computer all day, so once I needed reading glasses for that, I am basically wearing them all day. Up until about 5-10 years ago I had slightly better than 20-20 vision. I guess I should be surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I think the last time I had an actual game-related injury was a sore thumb from spending way too much time playing NHL Hockey on my Sega Genesis.

As far as Shawn's comments go - I barely remember being 37.

So frustrating—despite all that discussion, I still haven’t heard an answer to my biggest concern about Vermintide potentially replacing Left 4 Dead...

Is Vermintide ONLY cooperative or does it also have some kind of team-versus-team mode in which you take turns or are assigned the vermin role and must stop the other team? That is when the teamwork really opens up. Without that I can’t imagine the game having any staying power beyond a few weeks of enjoyment.

Keithustus wrote:

So frustrating—despite all that discussion, I still haven’t heard an answer to my biggest concern about Vermintide potentially replacing Left 4 Dead...

Is Vermintide ONLY cooperative or does it also have some kind of team-versus-team mode in which you take turns or are assigned the vermin role and must stop the other team? That is when the teamwork really opens up. Without that I can’t imagine the game having any staying power beyond a few weeks of enjoyment.

It is co-op only, and I doubt that a versus mode will ever be added (but who knows). However, the co-op is very robust, and has far, far more variety and depth than that of Left 4 Dead.

Thank you!

Vermintide, you’re not for me. I’m sticking with playing as hunters, smokers, tanks, etc.

I agree the coop of L4D is pretty thin, which is why I almost never played it after earning all the achievements.

Hrdina wrote:

Oy, a CC email about getting old.

I'm with Allen, I am a SW developer and sit working at a computer all day, so once I needed reading glasses for that, I am basically wearing them all day. Up until about 5-10 years ago I had slightly better than 20-20 vision. I guess I should be surprised it lasted as long as it did.

This happened to me as well. I asked the doc if there was anything i could to help. After i told him what i did for a living he told me i could become a potato farmer instead otherwise it was just going to gradually get worse.

I now wear glasses to read, and i'm real close to needing them for gaming. There's some games and the way they have their zones created (Warframe primarily) where i have real issues traversing terrain.

Fireball Island was funded in an hour. Not only that, but as of now, it has blown past four times the goal.

So I'd say congratulations are in order.

Thanks for answering the question about Dark Tower. Too bad it’s in legal Hell.

I actually have a functional copy of Dark Tower in my basement.

Also, an original copy of Fireball Island still in playable condition.

Also, two different editions of Mall Madness, which was a fantastic game.

I don't have much else to add. Just bragging.

Guess I’ll have to look up Dark Tower. Definitely remember seeing the ads for and playing lots of Fireball Island....yes it was bad.

Right on: born ‘81.