Subnautica - Deep Sea Exploration & Survival-All

polypusher wrote:

The Prawn strikes me as a cool idea they shoe-horned a game feature onto just to make it useful. Navigating the underwater world on foot and having a sort of Aqua-Knight to fight with is compelling, but as executed the Prawn is relatively useless. It moves too slow. It gets better with upgrades, but those take a long time to be able to craft, essentially forcing you to endure some bad Prawn gameplay in order to get to some better Prawn gameplay.

As demonstrated the Prawn is ridiculously fast once you get the boosted thrusters and double grapples. But I agree, it's incredibly clunky early on and one thing I absolutely despise about it is the inability to walk up the slightest step or slope. If they had made the stock thrusters better and given it a forward gliding speed to match the Seamoth it would be more of a direct upgrade.

Spoiler:

So I was taking my newly constructed Cyclops out for a test drive and I came across an area of the map described as a crater. It looked like a steep drop off, and I couldn't tell how far down it went. No worries, I thought, I'll just hop in my fully kitted out Prawn Suit to see how deep this thing goes. It did not end well for my Prawn Suit. I think I counted 3 full grown ghost leviathans at the end as I was desperately trying to grapple my way back up. Fortunately I did not die, and I was able to make it back to my Cyclops. But losing that suit really hurts.

Spoiler:

That's one of those terror things about the game that gets me. If that's what I'm thinking of, its essentially the edge of the map. They made it very dark, spooky, populated by the worst things in the game and you can't see the bottom because there ISNT one (ok its like 10km down). I think they spawn more of the ghost leviathans the longer you stay in the zone.

I'd lose years off my life if I played this game in VR

Spoiler:

Yep that'll be the void, and it is the edge of the map. They'll just keep spawning big beasties u til you give up and go back (if you can).

I finished it today. Loved all 42 hours I put into it.

-died 4 times (once by crashfish, twice by drowning, and once by falling through the world in the very last area of the game and I ended up reloading a save right before I officially died)
-the Cyclops and Sea Moth are awesome in so many ways. Cyclops makes you feel like Jacques Cousteau explorer capable of going to any depths. The Sea Moth's your first refuge from constantly drowning, extra storage, and the big scaries of the deep
-Prawn was good but I didn't like that it, essentially, replaced the Sea Moth even though they had very different roles (Sea Moth = Exploration while Prawn = Resource gathering and safety)
-was attacked by a Reaper Leviathan on my way to the Aurora early on and wasn't attacked again until the end when I took multiple hits from the other two big leviathans in my Cyclops. Was really fun desperately searching for a safe haven to repair
-progression was broken for me due to finding two time capsules with high level gear early in the game (one with the high tier Cyclops upgrades and another with 2 ion power cells)
-didn't feel the need to explore many parts of the map; never saw a Sea Trader, for instance
-would have liked some little reward for scanning flora and fauna. The lore was nice but it wasn't worth it attempting to scan the leviathans or aggressive fauna
-some tools were under utilized (propulsion/repulsion gun, stasis gun, and glow stick stand out in my mind)
-perfect atmosphere and progression; they really nailed the early desperation through confidence at the end without making it a slog
-time capsule as a reward for finishing the game is a great idea; I wish it didn't affect my playthrough the way it did
-loved that resource management (O2, HP, hunger, and thirst) was extremely manageable with only thirst being the big one for a while; the moment I realized I could farm marblemelons on my base and then my Cyclops was so good
-could have used a little more guidance in the end game events
-finding a perfect spot for your firs base and creating a home was wonderful

Really excited for the expansion campaign!

Nice write up Vector. Sounds like your experience was quite similar to my own, except mine was 18 hours longer, perhaps because I didn't find those goodies in a time capsule. I wish there was some sort of notification outside of game if/when someone finds your own capsule.

So while I was gathering raw materials to rebuild my prawn I had my first encounter with a Reaper leviathan who somehow snuck up on me in my Sea Moth. I had actually just hopped out to grab something off of the sea floor and I turned around and he had yanked it away off into the murky depths. A short while later there was a small explosion, and so I guess that is that for my Sea Moth.

On the upside while I was gathering my materials...

Spoiler:

I ran into one of the Degasi and found a yellow tablet. I also finally found the blueprints for a prawn suit drill. I just hope I have enough materials to remake it.

I was holding off buying this in the hope it would see a release on PSVR but I jumped on it on the Steam sale last week. About 6 hours in and making what seems like very slow progress but my 5 year old son is sitting next to me the whole time making maps and theorising what we might come across as we uncover more of the world. We're both having a ball discovering new things, whether it's a blueprint or cave system or HOLY sh*t WHAT IS THAT OMG IT'S AN ALIEN SKYSCRAPER IN THE WATER!

I'm not so patiently waiting for my boy to get back from shopping so we can play just a little more (or a lot). The Sunbeam is due to land in just over 15 minutes and we're both very excited to see what's going to happen next.

malking wrote:

The Sunbeam is due to land in just over 15 minutes and we're both very excited to see what's going to happen next.

Everything's going to be just fine

kergguz wrote:
malking wrote:

The Sunbeam is due to land in just over 15 minutes and we're both very excited to see what's going to happen next.

Everything's going to be just fine ;)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/3eue6GG.gif)

20% off on steam at the moment, don't miss out on the game of the year folks!

Has anyone here played The Forest? I can't find a thread on it and thought it might appeal to players of Subnautica. Thinking of grabbing it in the sale. Basically I'm looking for anything that gives me that Subnautica feeling

Thoughts?

I loved Subnautica, but didn't particular care for The Forest. It feels off on my computer,and very resource hungry. Its also much more a game with violence than Subnautica, and gore, for that matter.

Honestly, for pure survival / exploration game with a tiny thread of storyline in it, I'd be much more open to recommending Conan Exiles, and then just playing solo in single player. There IS still violence in it, although you can cut down on it by just avoiding the hostile npcs, and its a huge land to explore, with lots of building options.

The advantage of a single player game here is, that you can tweak settings so it isn't as grindy as it would be elsewhile, regarding levelling, crafting, harvesting and building.

Oh - its also quite beautiful.

I've never even taken a second look at Conan. I'll do some digging tonight, but at first glance it's more than I wanted to spend. Thanks for the recommendation though.

kergguz wrote:

I've never even taken a second look at Conan. I'll do some digging tonight, but at first glance it's more than I wanted to spend. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I really want to get into Conan but the slavery really turned me off, and the developers comments just made it worse.

Weirdly, Don’t Starve and Stardew Valley scratch the same itches for me. Don’t Starve has the survival and crafting down flat while Stardew really captures that feeling of progress that Subnautica has. Stardew also has a solid little story while I found Don’t Starve more aimless although they have added a story since I last played.

Vector wrote:

Weirdly, Don’t Starve and Stardew Valley scratch the same itches for me.

I have both. I liked Don't Starve but it seemed a bit daunting starting over if you'd survived, say, 40 or 50 days. Interesting that you mention Stardew Valley- I haven't really given it a fair shot yet.but I just installed it yesterday with that in mind.

Anyway, sorry to derail, back to Subnautica! The Devs have gone pretty quiet haven't they? No word on DLC or even a timeline?

kergguz wrote:
Vector wrote:

Weirdly, Don’t Starve and Stardew Valley scratch the same itches for me.

I have both. I liked Don't Starve but it seemed a bit daunting starting over if you'd survived, say, 40 or 50 days. Interesting that you mention Stardew Valley- I haven't really given it a fair shot yet.but I just installed it yesterday with that in mind.

Anyway, sorry to derail, back to Subnautica! The Devs have gone pretty quiet haven't they? No word on DLC or even a timeline?

They’ve announced an arctic expansion with a separate story and playable character. Release date is unofficially next year.

Ah I thought the Arctic expansion was just a rumour. Whatever they do I'll be queueing up anyway.

kergguz wrote:

Ah I thought the Arctic expansion was just a rumour. Whatever they do I'll be queueing up anyway.

Nope, confirmed. The various developers working on it have been posting to twitter about it. Lead Charlie Cleveland's twitter a good source of early stuff.

Have you given No Man's Sky a try? I really liked the initially release and only touched it again with the latest patch. There's another major patch due on July 24th but I'm just going to jump in now.

kergguz wrote:
malking wrote:

The Sunbeam is due to land in just over 15 minutes and we're both very excited to see what's going to happen next.

Everything's going to be just fine ;)

My life NEEDS a follow up to this.

Vector wrote:

Have you given No Man's Sky a try?

Nope, I was put off by the launch reviews. Maybe worth checking out again.

mrwynd wrote:
kergguz wrote:
malking wrote:

The Sunbeam is due to land in just over 15 minutes and we're both very excited to see what's going to happen next.

Everything's going to be just fine ;)

My life NEEDS a follow up to this.

I know right??

Call me unexpectedly enabled. Subnautica wasn't even on my wish list, but reading through this thread made me check it out on Steam. And I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the sale price when I noticed the bundle with Don't Starve Together for even less $$. I already own DST, but the $15.99 for the bundle instead of the $19.99 for Subnautica on its own (plus today is payday) means I own the game. Thanks for the enabling! Looking forward to checking it out.

kergguz wrote:

Basically I'm looking for anything that gives me that Subnautica feeling

Thoughts?

Have you tried The Long Dark?

It's on sale for $7.49 (-75%) over at Steam.

It's a little more urgent-feeling than Subnautica, but I still think these two titles are the absolute top of the pyramid for modern survival/crafting games.

Tons of content (maps), Story mode (in progress), gorgeous presentation, and intelligent/intuitive survival loop.

Also refreshing that it's an authentic wilderness survival setting without leaning on gamey tropes (no zombies, aliens or wizards [oh my!]).

Ill 2nd The Long Dark. It's added a story mode in the last year and expanded on it recently. The urgency is a good note. It's a more desperate survival game since you don't get a tank to drive over all the hungry wolves

@aaron and @poly - sadly your long dark recommendations came a bit late and I'd already purchased The Forest. No-one recommended it, it was just the right price point and seems to have a good mix of survival and crafting from what I've seen. The Long Dark doesn't have building does it? I think I need building in the game, but that's not to say I won't check it out later in the year.

Hope you enjoy Subnautica sithload, try to avoid the wiki unless you are getting frustrated. If you can't find where to go next, the answer is usually 'deeper'!

kergguz wrote:
Vector wrote:

My life NEEDS a follow up to this.

I know right??

"Dad, it's lifting out of the water... what's it doing?... It's shooting a laser!... Quick we have to go and find the wreckage!" Oh the adventures we've had since then!

A bit of exploration of the alien base until we hit a wall. Can't quite remember what's required to progress further there. Then we set off on building our first base which was just going to be small to see how things work but has since turned in to a sprawling behemoth.

Building the Seamoth led to one of the more exciting events this week, discovering the island with the Degasi outpost. And getting the blueprints for the grabby-picker-upper-and-move thingy and the laser cutter has let us explore into the Aurora. Headed back in there with a bunch more fire extinguishers later. For now we have the blueprints for the escape ship launchpad and more importantly the Aurora miniature model that we can display proudly in the junk room of our base. We've also received radio transmissions for 2 more lifepods we've yet to find.

On top of all the mysteries the story presents I've still got heaps of gameplay questions that I'm not sure if I want answered. Can I recharge dead batteries and fire extinguishers? Where do I find Magnetite? Should I build my base somewhere that's not only 150m from my lifepod? Will we ever find a source of food that doesn't require a decent chunk of time going fishing and harvesting salt?

malking wrote:
kergguz wrote:
Vector wrote:

My life NEEDS a follow up to this.

I know right??

"Dad, it's lifting out of the water... what's it doing?... It's shooting a laser!... Quick we have to go and find the wreckage!" Oh the adventures we've had since then!

A bit of exploration of the alien base until we hit a wall. Can't quite remember what's required to progress further there. Then we set off on building our first base which was just going to be small to see how things work but has since turned in to a sprawling behemoth.

Building the Seamoth led to one of the more exciting events this week, discovering the island with the Degasi outpost. And getting the blueprints for the grabby-picker-upper-and-move thingy and the laser cutter has let us explore into the Aurora. Headed back in there with a bunch more fire extinguishers later. For now we have the blueprints for the escape ship launchpad and more importantly the Aurora miniature model that we can display proudly in the junk room of our base. We've also received radio transmissions for 2 more lifepods we've yet to find.

On top of all the mysteries the story presents I've still got heaps of gameplay questions that I'm not sure if I want answered. Can I recharge dead batteries and fire extinguishers? Where do I find Magnetite? Should I build my base somewhere that's not only 150m from my lifepod? Will we ever find a source of food that doesn't require a decent chunk of time going fishing and harvesting salt?

1) Batteries can be recharged but you need to find the blueprint.
2) Fire extinguishers cannot be refilled
3) Building your vase near the sage shallows is recommended because it’s center and safe. Make sure you have lots of space to expand and enough deep water to maneuver your various sea craft
4) If you hit the fruit and vegetables on the degasi island with your knife, you’ll get seeds. The marblemelon is the perfect food since it restores a lot of water
5) In some caves with giant flora. Search the seabed in them. One of the pods mentions a nearby cave system, search around in that once you find it

malking wrote:

and more importantly the Aurora miniature model that we can display proudly in the junk room of our base.

Junk room? JUNK ROOM!? I thought everyone displayed it on a wall shelf above their bed!?

I think Vector answered most of your questions. There is a good magnetite cave not far from the safe shallows. It's near to one of the lifepods you are directed to in the red grassy plateau.

In terms of bases, I also built my main one right under my lifepod. However, I would then build smaller outposts in further out, deeper areas to use later in the game. Generally I'd put things like a scanner room, battery and power cell chargers and source of food and water in these outposts, so they'd only be a room or two large at the most.

Wayfarer wrote:
polypusher wrote:

The Prawn strikes me as a cool idea they shoe-horned a game feature onto just to make it useful. Navigating the underwater world on foot and having a sort of Aqua-Knight to fight with is compelling, but as executed the Prawn is relatively useless. It moves too slow. It gets better with upgrades, but those take a long time to be able to craft, essentially forcing you to endure some bad Prawn gameplay in order to get to some better Prawn gameplay.

Hehe

That looks to me like he deliberately spiked the Seamoth; it certainly didn't look like it was traveling as fast as it's capable of in the clips he showed. And I'm not sure how important dual hooks is to maintaining that kind of speed; if you can't move like that with only one, that severely constrains the Prawn's utility, as you normally would want the drill arm by default.

Still, that does show that it's capable of pretty good speed, with some skill.