Subnautica - Deep Sea Exploration & Survival-All

I did the same things. Reinforcements went in available moonpool walls. I also put them in the walls of my storage rooms, but the extra thickness meant I had to permanently remove a couple of wall lockers. Foundations went under sections that weren't suspended over the edge of a cliff, and also as the base of the external garden. I had no lack of structural integrity, just had to find the resources to make the reinforcements.

As much as I like this game it suffers from an unfortunate lack of polish in many areas. The scanning room for instance has a few quirks to it. For one it won't detect anything that hasn't loaded into the game yet, and the only way to do that is physically go out and make the game load more map chunks. Since the scanner room has a maximum vision radius of 500m this takes considerable effort. When the scan room detects a large deposit of resources, it won't remove that detection blip after you go out and harvest that deposit. The scanner doesn't differentiate between small and large deposits of resources and also doesn't give you a distance to each detected blip when displayed on your HUD.

Another example is the moonpool and how vehicles are configured. The prawn suit has a large inventory and you can expand the inventory by adding up to 4 cargo modules, at maximum capacity it is equal in size to the player inventory. The seamoth on the other hand starts with no cargo and can add up to 4 cargo pods with a 8x8 tile size, but it models them individually so if you want to remove the modules you have to go and click on each cargo pod one at a time to empty them instead of having access to a combined inventory. One benefit the seamoth has over the prawn is that you can access the cargo pods and the vehicle's upgrade panel while it is docked in the moonpol. The prawn however disables access to it's cargo, upgrades and batteries while it is docked in the moon pool, even though all three are easily within reach, this forces you to undock it if you need to change anything. If the prawn is docked to a cyclops you can unload the cargo bay using a button on the interface, but the moonpool lacks this feature.

It's nothing gamebreaking but things like this cause the game to sit in this uncomfortable valley where it's just good enough to be functional but not quite polished enough to be seamless. And there are still gamebreaking bugs in the game. One time a reaper pushed my prawn suit under the map whereupon I fell to my death in null space, thankfully I only lost 3 minutes of progress. But another time I tried to enter my cyclops and my prawn clipped through the bottom of the sub and the cyclops grabbed ahold of it without opening the bay doors. This softlocked me into limbo where I couldn't get out of the prawn suit even thought it was docked, to make matters worse I hadn't saved in a full hour and the save button was greyed out. After a minute or so of panic I noticed that the save button was available again, so I hit that and reloaded the save.

When I loaded in I was standing inside the cyclops beside the hatch. I was also canted sideways and vibrating up and down at what I can only describe as a "terrifying speed". This eventually went away as I walked back to the cyclops bridge. I think must have triggered some kind of debug feature because the sub had moved about 500m south.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266575600193/CC24B72CE4040FAC25C2AD339370D8AAAF5A6D32/)

Other than that I also finished configuring the inside of my cyclops and moving all my stuff into it. This is an improvement on my previous design in that I managed to cram a bed into the space. The bed is very useful because daylight makes it much easier to explore and gather resources and with a bed in the cyclops I can sleep to skip the night whenever I want. The walls are lined with storage lockers, as is the small anteroom behind me. On my first run I also used the triangular lower bay as a storage space by lining one side with lockers. However on this playthrough I have a much better sense of what materials I need to keep and in what quantity. So I no longer keep a full cabinet of each resource like a packrat.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266575600312/7559319C03AD70CB98DD835094FAD0A9F2FEB194/)

Tamren wrote:

As much as I like this game it suffers from an unfortunate lack of polish in many areas. The scanning room for instance has a few quirks to it. For one it won't detect anything that hasn't loaded into the game yet, and the only way to do that is physically go out and make the game load more map chunks. Since the scanner room has a maximum vision radius of 500m this takes considerable effort. When the scan room detects a large deposit of resources, it won't remove that detection blip after you go out and harvest that deposit. The scanner doesn't differentiate between small and large deposits of resources and also doesn't give you a distance to each detected blip when displayed on your HUD.

Another example is the moonpool and how vehicles are configured. The prawn suit has a large inventory and you can expand the inventory by adding up to 4 cargo modules, at maximum capacity it is equal in size to the player inventory. The seamoth on the other hand starts with no cargo and can add up to 4 cargo pods with a 8x8 tile size, but it models them individually so if you want to remove the modules you have to go and click on each cargo pod one at a time to empty them instead of having access to a combined inventory. One benefit the seamoth has over the prawn is that you can access the cargo pods and the vehicle's upgrade panel while it is docked in the moonpol. The prawn however disables access to it's cargo, upgrades and batteries while it is docked in the moon pool, even though all three are easily within reach, this forces you to undock it if you need to change anything. If the prawn is docked to a cyclops you can unload the cargo bay using a button on the interface, but the moonpool lacks this feature.

It's nothing gamebreaking but things like this cause the game to sit in this uncomfortable valley where it's just good enough to be functional but not quite polished enough to be seamless. And there are still gamebreaking bugs in the game. One time a reaper pushed my prawn suit under the map whereupon I fell to my death in null space, thankfully I only lost 3 minutes of progress. But another time I tried to enter my cyclops and my prawn clipped through the bottom of the sub and the cyclops grabbed ahold of it without opening the bay doors. This softlocked me into limbo where I couldn't get out of the prawn suit even thought it was docked, to make matters worse I hadn't saved in a full hour and the save button was greyed out. After a minute or so of panic I noticed that the save button was available again, so I hit that and reloaded the save.

When I loaded in I was standing inside the cyclops beside the hatch. I was also canted sideways and vibrating up and down at what I can only describe as a "terrifying speed". This eventually went away as I walked back to the cyclops bridge. I think must have triggered some kind of debug feature because the sub had moved about 500m south.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266575600193/CC24B72CE4040FAC25C2AD339370D8AAAF5A6D32/)

Other than that I also finished configuring the inside of my cyclops and moving all my stuff into it. This is an improvement on my previous design in that I managed to cram a bed into the space. The bed is very useful because daylight makes it much easier to explore and gather resources and with a bed in the cyclops I can sleep to skip the night whenever I want. The walls are lined with storage lockers, as is the small anteroom behind me. On my first run I also used the triangular lower bay as a storage space by lining one side with lockers. However on this playthrough I have a much better sense of what materials I need to keep and in what quantity. So I no longer keep a full cabinet of each resource like a packrat.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266575600312/7559319C03AD70CB98DD835094FAD0A9F2FEB194/)

There's a sleep function in the game!! I really just assumed the beds were for decoration.

Tamren wrote:

Other than that I also finished configuring the inside of my cyclops and moving all my stuff into it. This is an improvement on my previous design in that I managed to cram a bed into the space. The bed is very useful because daylight makes it much easier to explore and gather resources and with a bed in the cyclops I can sleep to skip the night whenever I want. The walls are lined with storage lockers, as is the small anteroom behind me. On my first run I also used the triangular lower bay as a storage space by lining one side with lockers. However on this playthrough I have a much better sense of what materials I need to keep and in what quantity. So I no longer keep a full cabinet of each resource like a packrat.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266575600312/7559319C03AD70CB98DD835094FAD0A9F2FEB194/)

I use that little anteroom as a pantry. I have an indoor grow bed full of melons there, and have a couple of lantern trees on the other side.

I've been adding storage throughout as I need it, both upstairs and down.

I built a bed back at my main station, but haven't made much use of it. I didn't bother to put one into the Cyclops.

I'm back at my main base, stocking up on materials I'll need to build a base down in the blue zone.

One thing that I haven't found has been any plans for the nuclear reactor, which would be nice for down there since solar panels probably won't work. I think I have two lockers full of uraninite just waiting, too. Back at main base I have a bioreactor, which is fueled by a mixture of melons and crashfish.

lunchbox12682 wrote:

There's a sleep function in the game!! I really just assumed the beds were for decoration.

This was my reaction as well. What is the purpose of sleep? Simply jumping ahead to daylight?

Yeah it jumps time head to the next sunrise when you sleep. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything underground but it makes surface activities easier when you have light to see.

On my run I explored each surface zone in roughly clockwise order, paying special attention to Aurora wreck sites. I managed to find all of the data caches and blueprints in relatively short order, with the one exception of the Cyclops hull. The hull fragments are the one item that isn't present in the wrecks, you have to poke around the seabed in certain zones to locate them. Initially I totally missed all of them during my high speed seamoth sonar sweeps, but I eventually found them later when I was walking around the seabed mining deposits with my prawn.

In my first game I built my base on top of one of the few thermal vents in the safe shallows, in the rough centre of the map. My current base is in the same location but slightly down the hill instead of directly on top of the hole, I found that my prawn had a tendency to fall into it. I was much slower at exploring the map back then, so my power needs were met by solar and thermal power, with a bioreactor added on later. My base had recharging stations for 6 power cells and no less than 6 desalinators producing water and salt for food preservation. This was nowhere near enough power but it didn't matter because I would only visit home base every few hours and by the time I got back everything would be fully charged.

This time around I stumbled onto nuclear power very quickly and I used it to replace my solar while skipping over thermal and biopower. I loaded up m y reactor with 4 rods, which was massive overkill in hindsight because I only later learned on the wiki that each rod is good for 20000 power. Unless you are desalinating water on an industrial scale at 500 power a pop, one single rod will last you for the entire game.

Man, what a pain it is keeping the Cyclops powered. I assumed there would be the means to charge it like there is for the SeaMoth and Prawn Suit. At this stage of the game, this really feels like busy work.
Still, its fun taking my pimped out submarine deeper and deeper.

Jakobedlam wrote:

Man, what a pain it is keeping the Cyclops powered. I assumed there would be the means to charge it like there is for the SeaMoth and Prawn Suit. At this stage of the game, this really feels like busy work.
Still, its fun taking my pimped out submarine deeper and deeper.

There is technology that will let you park the Cyclops in certain regions and get a charge. Combined with advanced power cells, you'll have no power worries with the Cyclops. Keep going deeper.

Yup! That Cyclops upgrade and the advanced power cells make it an essential mobile base.

Closed out my second run, only took me about a third of the time because I didn't explore so systematically or need food or water. In my first game I explored the entire map using scanner bases set in a 750m grid. This time around I did the much smarter thing by carrying around a base "kit" in one locker that I used to build and recycle the same scanner base, but for the most part I only needed a scanner to pinpoint cave entrances and wrecks.

My base hasn't changed much. I finished putting in all of the windows and the aquarium but the rest of my base is bare, except for the reactor and some battery chargers everything else got packed up and loaded onto the cyclops.

I was running out of vine seeds for rubber production so I decided to plant some outside my base. I didn't expect them to be so face meltingly bright.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266584332451/79CCC401AB234FDB3DBCB0A75E61218C1A128ADB/)

My aquarium filled with every type of fish I could catch or hatch. Apparently you can get eggs for mini-reefbacks and those weird tripod fish from the caves, but you need console commands.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266584333500/D8587FF6C99EA43C560BC3F7669F87EC4E450E71/)

One last sunset before I escaped the planet.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266584334129/21D5572169385D9A8EC04AF7C76341D6D5640721/)

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266584334490/8CFACFA286B56753DCD9D6B5F4E279C9CDACD299/)

I finally built a base down in the LR to make things a little easier. It looks a little weird because I wanted to make sure the moon pool was a few meters above 900m, so that my Sea Moth could get inside. I've still never found any plans for a nuclear reactor, so I built near some thermal vents instead.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/964242919963417238/52ECD3F81FC952C234F5C11BC6EE6C1AF6A3AD11/)

Spoiler:

I explored farther into the lava river area, looking for the alien thermal building, until I found what looks like an alien doorway. I parked my sub with its nose almost up against the door. When I dropped out of the hatch, I saw this friendly fellow's happy face peering around my sub at me.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/964242919963417381/DD72C6ABF983ED64107D31384383A426C8D332B2/)

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/964242919963417488/2DA847A7FD709004FA50CBA57A22AB53E53733A6/)

Needless to say, I took those screenshots after I got back inside my sub. Also needless to say, I didn't scan it.

It's funny watching him swim around above my sub, as he moves his arms like a human swimming.

I finally found some Kyanite, so that I could upgrade my Prawn to Mk 2 depth upgrade. I was pretty angry and confused when I looked and saw that I didn't have the Mk 1 upgrade installed. I'm almost certain I put that in, but now I'm going to have to sail all the way back to base to sort that out. The Prawn isn't full of upgrades, so I don't know why I would have removed it.

Also, while I was off exploring the area around that alien doorway, playing hide-and-seek with that big scary thing, my frakking Sea Glide ran out of power and I didn't bring a spare. Somehow I managed to swim back into the Cyclops without dying of either asphyxiation or combustion.

Finally, right after I got back inside, I had another alien vision saying "Come Here...to me".

Bedtime now.

this wasn't here last time

So, I'm hoping this is some kind of bug, because its pretty disturbing.
IMAGE(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1717354944)

Once I parked my Cyclops, I noticed a Reaper was suddenly patrolling that area. I've just gone around, but realized I'm probably going to have to sail the Cyclops by the beastie to get to the Lost River.

Today though, it was patrolling around (and actually breaching) around the lifepod! It definitely knew I was there, as it would periodically come for me. After I saved the game, I went topside to see what would happen when it attacked. Turns out it bounces off some type of boundary and can't kill me. Going back down into the lifepod, I would see its tail going into the pod from bad clipping.

So much for "Safe" Shallows!

Edit: AND I just realized it must have eaten my SeaMoth. The one with all the upgrades. I just went from fascinated to highly annoyed.

Wow, if those things are going to hang out near the pod, a lot of people are going to have a very short game.

I think I'm getting near the end of the game.

Spoiler:

I worked my way down into a deep hole with lots of lava, and found the Primary Containment facility that I learned about at the Thermal thing.

I parked my sub right at the front porch, amongst those little sonic towers that were supposed to keep the baddies away. It didn't stop this guy from coming over to get friendly, although I don't think he did any damage. I keep looking back out the door nervously, though.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918219075875/3EB90A74830CABFF318CAA53C6B28E196676D1FF/)

I eventually went back out and removed the power cells from the sub and stored them in a locker, to keep all those slugs from taking all my juice.

After looking all through the PCF and dropping beacons on the other side of the four transporters there, I got through the last forcefield and found a new friend at the pool.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918219077128/F359731501912251DBC35C0D4AA7C7F4152A3454/)

Over the weekend I'll go on a scavenger hunt for some seeds to help her hatch her eggs, so I can get out of there.

I see a lot of plain white vehicles in general, do you guys like the default colours or did you just never get around to changing them? I made my stuff cadmium red to make it easier to spot when I'm running out of oxygen. In retrospect safety orange might have worked a bit better.

I played this for 7 hours, and got frustrated since I couldn't find anything. Suddenly, after being asked by an eight year old, I discovered that small boxes have researchable stuff in them...!!?! Also - the first Lifepod you look for,apparently also has a blueprint for a compas, which was driving me crazy didn't exist in the game...

Tamren wrote:

I see a lot of plain white vehicles in general, do you guys like the default colours or did you just never get around to changing them? I made my stuff cadmium red to make it easier to spot when I'm running out of oxygen. In retrospect safety orange might have worked a bit better.

I changed the colors of the stripes, but decided that I liked white for the main bodies.

Tamren wrote:

I see a lot of plain white vehicles in general, do you guys like the default colours or did you just never get around to changing them? I made my stuff cadmium red to make it easier to spot when I'm running out of oxygen. In retrospect safety orange might have worked a bit better.

I tried different colors to see what would stand out. Certainly what looked cool in the moonpool didn't translate well. Red, fluorescent yellow, and black were the most visible when deep.

Yay!

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918221312068/6103828BB8D0308E50ECE6C1FDC1E83EE8D2B8B3/)

Awwww.

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918221312197/46A28AC1E98250FC1B7CAD8F98D7F44D15199813/)

After this, I was running/swimming around for a while, trying to figure out how to cure myself. I finally did that, then transported over to the Enforcement Platform. I think I've turned off the weapon. Later I'll get back to base to build a Neptune and find out.

I managed to escape back out of that deep location despite being chased by a couple of large monsters.

I stopped at my LR base to recharge before heading back up to the Shallows.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918223575913/03D87753B6A247F8C183B8338F38CDBD84BABC70/)

Spoiler:

When I got up there and started to build the rocket, I found that I never collected a blueprint that I needed (Ion batteries & power cells!). I had to go back over to get that from the Thermal station. Fortunately I knew that I could get there easily via the arches, so that was only a minor inconvenience.

Right before boarding the Neptune, the sky grew dark. Apparently there was an eclipse.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918223576891/0FE59D8C846D9F1CEAC11648DAC97DAE86E951FE/)

Here is a last look at the Aurora, the Siegfried, and the Neptune before my departure.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/831386918223577835/C2C9B12B85D75A1B5D54A1F163A2606E26EE32D2/)

The final voiceover was mildly amusing, if depressing.

I have to say that I found Subnautica to be surprisingly compelling. I usually don't like crafting mechanics or horror games (although it's debatable whether this is one), but once I got started in this game I was driven to finish it without interruption.

I'm also glad that I actually paid for this ($15 on Steam IIRC) rather than getting it for free on Epic or whatever. It was definitely worth the money. My saved game said that it had 68 hours (2 days 20 hours) and Steam says I played for 73 hours. I don't remember save-scumming for 5 hours, but maybe I left it paused for a while or something.

Jakobedlam wrote:

I tried different colors to see what would stand out. Certainly what looked cool in the moonpool didn't translate well. Red, fluorescent yellow, and black were the most visible when deep.

One thing I found somewhat annoying about the colour system is that it only lets you tint the existing texture and not customize the actual base colour. Hull surfaces are white but trim tends to be black or grey and any colour applied to it will come out muddy and dull. This is especially true of the Prawn, I tried to give it "gold" trim but it came out more of a vomit colour. Same story with the Seamoth which is why I made both of them red and black.

Despite all of that you can still make some great looking livery. But if I was the one making Subnautica I would have made the customizable parts of the base textures completely white like a beluga and coloured them using the tint system to make it 100% customizable. Someone has probably fixed that with mods by now, but not having workshop support for the game is a major blunder if you ask me.
IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/967620266580345916/9B8EC65CC197C859825CE4F275E6786795EB4177/)

"Finished" the game.

Overall, definitely one of the most satisfying gaming experiences in my 30 years in the hobby. Really balanced play difficulty, fantastic art and sound design, and a really ingenious threat to the player: drowning in deep, dark water.

I feel no compulsion to play other survival games, or even necessarily to go start SubZero. I found the storyline pretty compelling. Enough so that I realize I only built the most rudimentary of bases, but really just tried to do the minimum to move things along story-wise.

Still, had a total blast playing it. Dipped my toe in the VR version, but that was almost overwhelming in its sense of danger.

I think I'm fairly advanced in whatever story is there and also in regard to building but have now spent over 10 hours on the search for a few pieces of raw materials and 4 or 5 blueprints.

This has just got too frustrating now, even though I have really enjoiyed the exploration, build and inventory management it is starting to become a bit dull realising that I need a single piece of quartz and spend 10 minutes finiding it only to have my seamoth destroyed.

It has been enjoyable for about 50 out of the 60 hours played so no issue there, there is a lovely feel to the game and I may go back at some point as I hate leaving games unfinished having put so much time in.

kborom wrote:

I think I'm fairly advanced in whatever story is there and also in regard to building but have now spent over 10 hours on the search for a few pieces of raw materials and 4 or 5 blueprints.

I don't know if you've already been using a map mod, but that alleviated a lot of the grind frustration for me. I rationalized it by feeling that if I had the machinery to make a seamoth, I would likely already have an automap software. By that time also I had pretty much memorized the map. Still, it allowed a quick check of my bearings. It might help you, also.

kborom wrote:

I think I'm fairly advanced in whatever story is there and also in regard to building but have now spent over 10 hours on the search for a few pieces of raw materials and 4 or 5 blueprints.

This has just got too frustrating now, even though I have really enjoiyed the exploration, build and inventory management it is starting to become a bit dull realising that I need a single piece of quartz and spend 10 minutes finiding it only to have my seamoth destroyed.

It has been enjoyable for about 50 out of the 60 hours played so no issue there, there is a lovely feel to the game and I may go back at some point as I hate leaving games unfinished having put so much time in.

I hit that point and just turned on cheats. It's still scary and atmospheric even with zero damage. Finding wrecks is enough of a challenge without worrying about batteries. Might be worth trying to see the last bits.

Never even thought of mods or cheats to get further in the game! Thanks guys I'm off to do just that.

Will they work with Epic? Off to check.

Well the cheats work no problem. But I cannot get the map mod working. Simple to install and everything checks out, but I cannot find any posts in the last 5 months on this topic so wondered if people have stopped playing or subsequent updates have killed the mods.

kborom wrote:

Well the cheats work no problem. But I cannot get the map mod working. Simple to install and everything checks out, but I cannot find any posts in the last 5 months on this topic so wondered if people have stopped playing or subsequent updates have killed the mods.

I was using the map mod on Steam's version of Subnautica, as recently as early June, so I suspect it should work unless Epic has done something drastic to the game. If you go to your PDA screen, to the map tab (where you could see toggle which beacons you wanted to see), there's a new toggle switch. I forget what this is called, but if you toggle one way a map comes on, toggle the other way and its the "classic" beacon page. Maybe your's is off by default?
I thought I might have remembered you needed to save a game before it shows up? Might also be worth a try.

There's a map mod?! Oh my goodness I need to get this for my kids.

Jakobedlam wrote:
kborom wrote:

Well the cheats work no problem. But I cannot get the map mod working. Simple to install and everything checks out, but I cannot find any posts in the last 5 months on this topic so wondered if people have stopped playing or subsequent updates have killed the mods.

I was using the map mod on Steam's version of Subnautica, as recently as early June, so I suspect it should work unless Epic has done something drastic to the game. If you go to your PDA screen, to the map tab (where you could see toggle which beacons you wanted to see), there's a new toggle switch. I forget what this is called, but if you toggle one way a map comes on, toggle the other way and its the "classic" beacon page. Maybe your's is off by default?
I thought I might have remembered you needed to save a game before it shows up? Might also be worth a try.

Thanks but I've checked in there, nothing. I should have an extra options menu item for Mods but that doesn't exist.
Qmodmanager is installed and created the Qmods folder where it should, using admin, so that should all be done. I followed the video on nexus so am pretty sure I'm not missing anything, expect the files I have not being right on more for Epic. Who knows, even on Nexus there are no comments for 5 or 6 months.

Sydhart wrote:

There's a map mod?! Oh my goodness I need to get this for my kids.

Map Mod, Expanded locksers and more room on the hotbar for 10 items were my 3 key items. With those 3 QoL changes it made it a much more pleasant experience. I mean it's Subnautica.... you're under the ocean, surrounded by things that will mess you up... not exactly meant to be a "pleasant experience" but you know what I mean.