Have you started Baldur's Gate II six times and never made it past Level 4? Do you stare at your Steam pile, see a half dozen great RPGs, and think, "One of these days I'm going to play those games."
Well, this is the group for you! We are a group of GWJers playing Computer RPGs together for the fun of a shared experience. The main thought is that we all have some great RPGs that have been sitting in our backlogs for quite a while and never seem to get cleared off the pile. By picking an RPG that's been out for a while and getting a number of people to play it at the same time, there is more motivation to finish and the conversation about the gameplay makes the experience all the better.
What types of games do we play?
1. Role-Playing Games that are at least a year old.
2. Games that are good, relatively inexpensive, and available.
3. Non-Japanese RPGs (there is already a GWJ Club for Japanese RPGs)
4. Computer Role-Playing Games, but console RPGs are not necessarily excluded.
How do we decide on games to play?
• We have four days of nominations and seconding. To be included in the voting games must be nominated by one member and seconded by a different member. Each member is allowed one nomination, and may second any number of nominations. Games nominated must have had their western release at least one year before the nomination month and may not be a game the club has already played.
After the nomination round, we have two rounds of voting.
• First, we have a Pick 6 Round of voting. Each voter can vote for up to 6 games from the candidate pool, in any order of preference. This round lasts three days. The top six vote-getters get carried to the Ranked Voting Round. In the case of ties, we will always carry at least 5 games to the final round, but no more than 7 games. Ties will be broken in a way to send 5-7 games to the final round.
• Second, we use a Ranked Choice Voting system to select a winner from the final round candidates. Basically, you vote by listing the candidate games in order of your preference of play, with the top game on your list your top preference for play. You can rank as many candidate games as you like. (You do not have to rank all the games.) Once everyone has voted, we use Ranked Choice Voting to determine the winner, as shown in this one-minute video. Members can vote without having nominated anything! Vote for stuff you want to play.
If games are tied for first after the Ranked Choice round, we hold a 48-hour tiebreaker among the games tied for first. Members may vote for one or both games. If more than two games are tied for first after the Ranked Choice round, we'll use another round of Ranked Choice Voting among the tied games, so members list their games in order of preference.
How long do we have to play each game?
6 months, but we start new games every 3 months, so months 4-6 will likely be quieter than months 1-3.
What are the guidelines on conversation spoilers?
For BIG spoilers, please use the spoiler tag. (No! I am your father!) Tactics, strategies, general story progression likely don't need them, but we're still working these things out. (Suggestions welcome!)
Can anyone join? How do I join?
All are most welcome! Post in this thread with "I'm interested" or something like that and BOOM, your lifetime membership is fully activated. In 3-6 weeks you will receive your secret handshake in the mail. Check for it daily.
How do I level up?
Start and finish a group game during the gameplay duration, go up a level! No penalties for not finishing. Highest level member gets to decide the year's secret handshake at the annual club convention that does not ever happen.
The Witcher 3 (January 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (October 1, 2019 - March 31, 2020)
Baldur's Gate (July 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019)
Arcanum (April 1, 2019 - September 30, 2019)
Dragon Age: Origins (January 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019) (29 starters, 13 finishers, 44.8% completion)
Divinity: Original Sin 1 (October 1, 2018 - March 31, 2019) (27 starters, 11 finishers, 40.7% completion)
Jade Empire (July 1 - December 31) (35 starters, 17 finishers, 48.6% completion)
Pillars of Eternity (April 1 - September 30) (42 starters, 20 finishers, 47.6% completion)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC (January 20 - June 30) (35 starters, 19 finishers, 55.9% completion)
1 - Dragonfall
2 - Pillars of Eternity
3 - Jade Empire
4 - Divinity: Original Sin
5 - Dragon Age: Origins
6 - Arcanum
7 - Baldur's Gate
8 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
9 - The Witcher 3
Level 8 Members
*Legion* - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 7
Level 7 Members
Redherring - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
pyxistyx - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8
Level 6 Members
Godzilla Blitz - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
merphle - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Clumber - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
Level 5 Members
Sorbicol - 2, 3, 5, 6, 7
ubrakto - 2, 3, 4, 7, 8
Level 4 Members
imbiginjapan - 2, 3, 4, 7
Alien Love Gardener - 5, 6, 7, 8
Shadout - 2, 5, 7, 8
Math - 5, 6, 7, 8
Level 3 Members
Skraut - 1, 2, 3
tundra - 1, 5, 6
benign1 - 1, 3, 7
RnRClown - 1, 4, 7
Level 2 Members
steinkrug - 1, 2
Hardek - 1, 2
Cronox - 2, 3
fuzzyslug - 1, 3
SillyRabbit - 1, 2
beanman101283 - 1, 7
Level 1 Members
JohnKillo - 1
WellAdjusted - 1
Feegle - 1
SpaceDog - 1
gewy - 2
Freyja - 3
Eleima - 3
Toddland - 2
jdzappa - 2
LastSurprise - 2
MathGoddess - 2
brokenclavicle - 4
AUs_TBirD - 3
Dwango - 3
funkasaurus_rex - 5
Lakerboy32 - 5
kuddles - 5
tboon - 7
WizKid - 7
Members at Large