As this year comes to close, it's once again time for a reflection and ask the important questions. What is good in life? How have I changed? Why did I eat that? What timeline is this?
Or you can chunk all that and remember the good times you had with board games.
Welcome to the GWJ Community Board Games of the Year for 2017. I invite you to share what games raised your spirits, stoked your imagination, crushed your sense of self worth, or just tickled your brain in ways that are unique to our hobby. Whatever did it for you, share it here. If you put them in a list, it'll be considered part of your vote for community board game of the year.
Too touchy feely? Don't worry, it wouldn't be a boardgames list without some rules:
- Who goes first? Voting starts now, and ends 1/15/2018. All turns are asynchronous. Hopefully that'll allow some time for games that were gifted during the holidays to hit the table.
- What can I vote for? Any game that you played for the first time in 2017, or before voting ends in 2018.
- What about expansions? They count, as long as you first played with the expansion in 2017, or before voting ends in 2018.
- How many games can I vote for? As many as you like. I'd prefer that you list them in a traditional number format, but you don't need to stop at 10, nor do you need to list as many as 10. "Honorable mentions" are also welcomed. This is a hobby that is usually constrained by coordinating with other people and their schedules. Don't feel like you don't have a say because you didn't play a lot (or vice versa).
- How does endgame scoring work? The game at the top of your list will receive 10 points, the next game will receive 9, etc. All games past the first 10 (including honorable mentions) get 1 point.
- Wait, can I take that move back? Edit as often as you want before 1/15/2018. Past that, you can still edit, I'll just ignore it.