[News] Post a Political News Story

Ongoing discussion of the political news of the day. This thread is for 'smaller' stories that don't call for their own thread. If a story blows up, please start a new thread for it.

BadKen wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I have an idea. Let’s have a real president and a fake president. The real one does all the running of the executive branch stuff, and the fake one gets to rule over all the people who don’t understand what reality is.

Some kind of a deep state, you might say?

BadKen wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I have an idea. Let’s have a real president and a fake president. The real one does all the running of the executive branch, constitutional duties, and head of state stuff, while the fake one gets to rule over all the people who don’t understand what reality is.

Considering all the Republicans - elected and otherwise - that think Biden lost the election and still worship the ground that Trump runs on, I think we already do.

BadKen wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I have an idea. Let’s have a real president and a fake president. The real one does all the running of the executive branch, constitutional duties, and head of state stuff, while the fake one gets to rule over all the people who don’t understand what reality is.

Douglas "Doug E Fresh" Adams huffing spice melange out of a paper sack wrote:

The President in particular is very much a figurehead — he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had — he has already spent two of his ten presidential years in prison for fraud.

BadKen wrote:

I have an idea. Let’s have a real president and a fake president. The real one does all the running of the executive branch, constitutional duties, and head of state stuff, while the fake one gets to rule over all the people who don’t understand what reality is.

"Well you should have thought of that before you threw us out, shouldn't you?" - Signed, The Monarchy

Dear lord. One head on Trump's body is too much already.

JC wrote:

Dear lord. One head on Trump's body is too much already.

IMAGE(https://comb.io/gnyLwt.gif)

Doesnt that mean selling Infowars to some other prick? Otherwise there's no money.

Everything’s being sold including the Infowars brand- the only exception is Jones’ primary company, Free Speech Systems, which the judge exempted for some reason. Jones’ father is already heavily involved in the “hiding the money in a maze of shell companies” side of this so my guess is that Jones’ father will just buy most of it and let Jones continue to operate it under his ownership.

Given how lucrative it's been for Jones over the years, I imagine there's a line of grifter-assholes waiting to buy up Infowars.

Do they have to sell all of it off? If it were me, I'd want to sell off the physical stuff to pay for damages, and then just sit on the brand name so "infowars" never gets used again.

Short answer, yes. The court's responsibility is to raise funds from Jones' assets to pay his court-ordered damages.

If anything, you should WANT it to sell for as much money as possible so the poor bastards who were victims of Jones' years-long campaign of harassment get as much of the damages they're been rightly awarded as possible.

BadKen wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I have an idea. Let’s have a real president and a fake president. The real one does all the running of the executive branch, constitutional duties, and head of state stuff, while the fake one gets to rule over all the people who don’t understand what reality is.

Sadly, this is almost what we’ll get. Trump will indeed be the fake one but the real one will be someone along the lines of Bannon or Stephen Miller.

If I were one of them, I think I'd find more solace in preventing anyone else from using Infowars to harass others the way Jones used it to harass me. Especially if Jones' father does try to buy it so Jones can continue to operate it.

I wish John Oliver had enough money to buy it all

Chairman_Mao wrote:

I wish John Oliver had enough money to buy it all

Don't give David Zazlav ideas.

"InfoWars with John Oliver" that would confuse a whole lot of people.

JC wrote:

"InfoWars with John Oliver" that would confuse a whole lot of people.

Oh man. That would almost be enough to get me to subscribe to Max.

Almost.

BadKen wrote:
JC wrote:

"InfoWars with John Oliver" that would confuse a whole lot of people.

Oh man. That would almost be enough to get me to subscribe to Max.

Almost.

Although, I guess Colbert has already done this when he was on The Colbert Report.

BadKen wrote:
JC wrote:

"InfoWars with John Oliver" that would confuse a whole lot of people.

Oh man. That would almost be enough to get me to subscribe to Max.

Almost.

I had the exact same thought.

BBC - Rishi Sunak's protection officer arrested for alleged election betting. Apparently he placed his bet that there would be a July election three days before Sunak announced the July 4 date.

ETA, it was a Tory politician who placed a bet three days before Sunak's announcement. And now there's a second politician (technically both are candidates, since Parliament has been dissolved) has also been accused of placing a bet.

Louisiana Requires Every Public School Classroom To Display The Ten Commandments

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in “large, easily readable font” be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action — to sign or veto the bill — has lapsed.

Opponents question the law’s constitutionality, warning that lawsuits are likely to follow. Proponents say the purpose of the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the law’s language, the Ten Commandments are described as “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

The displays, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

The posters would be paid for through donations. State funds will not be used to implement the mandate, based on language in the legislation.

As a Buddhist I don't see how any Muslim, Jew, or Buddhist doesn't have standing to challenge this in court.

farley3k wrote:

Louisiana Requires Every Public School Classroom To Display The Ten Commandments

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in “large, easily readable font” be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action — to sign or veto the bill — has lapsed.

Opponents question the law’s constitutionality, warning that lawsuits are likely to follow. Proponents say the purpose of the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the law’s language, the Ten Commandments are described as “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

The displays, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

The posters would be paid for through donations. State funds will not be used to implement the mandate, based on language in the legislation.

As a Buddhist I don't see how any Muslim, Jew, or Buddhist doesn't have standing to challenge this in court.

Cue the Satantic Temple in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BAPHOMET!

Opponents question the law’s constitutionality

Oh FFS, it's unconstitutional, it's always been unconstitutional and everyone f*cking knows it. You don't need to tiptoe around this, Huffpost, just say it's unconstitutional.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Opponents question the law’s constitutionality

Oh FFS, it's unconstitutional, it's always been unconstitutional and everyone f*cking knows it. You don't need to tiptoe around this, Huffpost, just say it's unconstitutional.

Until the ultra-conservative Supreme Court we currently have says it is.

Yeah it does sort of assume the current folks are not Christian nationalists....which I think several of them are.

The Bladensburg Cross would beg to differ.

#allgodsmatter

The Arizona legislature pulls this nonsense all the time, passing an obviously unconstitutional law to be signed by a Republican governor and then struck down a few months later. But it's red meat for their base.

Fortunately the current AZ governor, Katie Hobbs, is a Democrat, and I don't think they currently have the votes to override her veto.

So... which translation of the 10 commandments? Can we also have a fun poster adjacent that indicates which commandments were violated by the 45th president of the United States?