[News] Post a Political News Story

Ongoing discussion of the political news of the day. This thread is for 'smaller' stories that don't call for their own thread. If a story blows up, please start a new thread for it.

Did SC start splitting their electoral votes, or is it still winner-take-all?

Gerrymandering is bad and we should stop it, but I don't see how state-level maps apply to the Presidential election. The House, on the other hand...

Same sh*t happened in NC... We went like 8 years with unconstitutional maps because the state GOP kept drawing sh*tty maps and even had emails discussing black voters...

Supreme Court saying we don't need the Voting Rights Act anymore set off all this bullsh*t

Agent 86 wrote:

So the same old racist dance with a new name then.

Isn't that so disappointing? Just so banal. I was really looking forward to an article positing the existence of negrotron particles.

There is some really grounded speculation that up to five more Republican House members are strongly considering resigning before the term is over. This would leave the Democrats with a majority.

The logic is pretty Manichean.

So, Trump is sucking all the oxygen out of fundraising as his control over the RNC means that ALL of the donor dollars are going toward paying his legal bills instead of to campaigns. And, as you know, in presidential campaign years, the top of the ticket is supposed to fundraise to support downticket races. Obama, for instance, raised millions upon millions for state and local races. none of that is happening now so Republicans are faced with being outspent by multiples in state and local races for the first time in 50 years.

Republican representatives have described this situation as "not a lot of fun". Considering also that they spent the last 15 months doing literally nothing but throwing a sham impeachment that fully exonerated Joe Biden, rehabilitated Hunter Biden, and made the Biden family look like the most loving example of compassion in the face of substance abuse ever, they have nothing to bring back to their constituents but the bitter taste of defeat.

With the prospect of really uphill climbs just to retain their seats, a lot of them are deciding that the time to get a start on the post Congressional job search is before the term ends. Because you don't want to be the guy without a chair left when the music stops.

I hope you're right. The house swinging back to Dem control this year would be a significant blow to GOP attempts to subvert 2024 elections, especially for the president.

Oh good. An investigation into a Boeing supplier with questionable quality control.

Oh, it's the Texas AG running the investigation? They're not going to try to resolve the actual problem? Instead they're going to do this... sure. sure.

Paxton asked the Wichita, Kansas-based supplier to turn over documents produced since the start of 2022 about communication with investors and Boeing about flaws in parts and corrective steps the company took.

The request goes into detail in seeking internal discussions around Spirit’s efforts to create a diverse workforce “and whether those commitments are unlawful or are compromising the company’s manufacturing processes.” Paxton asked for a breakdown of Spirit’s workforce by race, sexual orientation and other factors, and whether the makeup has changed over time.

And lest you forget who this lovely sack of fetid excrement is...

Paxton is a conservative Republican who this week agreed to pay $271,000 in restitution to victims and take 15 hours of training in legal ethics to settle felony charges of securities fraud. Paxton did not admit wrongdoing in the 9-year-old case.

TBH does it really matter any more if "down ticket" Rs get money? All they have to do is have a name on the ballot and Rs are gonna punch it for them. Doesn't matter about their history, policies, experience, etc, nada matters except that they have that R next to it and maybe they have a blurb somewhere stating they love Trump.

karmajay wrote:

TBH does it really matter any more if "down ticket" Rs get money? All they have to do is have a name on the ballot and Rs are gonna punch it for them. Doesn't matter about their history, policies, experience, etc, nada matters except that they have that R next to it and maybe they have a blurb somewhere stating they love Trump.

It does matter because whomever the independents swing for is who get elected.

Yeah a lot of the smaller local elections tend to be really close. People complain a lot about their vote not meaning much but on lower ballot stuff it can come down to a few hundred or thousand votes sometimes. And that stuff trickles up in importance.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I honestly think this election might go really bad for republicans. Presidential race will probable be brutal but the rest might not be. More a gut feeling but sorta feels like the tide is in the democrats favor for once. Course they could always spike the ball. Again.

Nevin73 wrote:
karmajay wrote:

TBH does it really matter any more if "down ticket" Rs get money? All they have to do is have a name on the ballot and Rs are gonna punch it for them. Doesn't matter about their history, policies, experience, etc, nada matters except that they have that R next to it and maybe they have a blurb somewhere stating they love Trump.

It does matter because whomever the independents swing for is who get elected.

"Independents" have probably gone the way of the dodo in 2024. I would not trust anyone who said they are independent. They are either lying or very naive.

Can't be independent between the fire and the firefighters.

H.P. Lovesauce wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:

So the same old racist dance with a new name then.

Isn't that so disappointing? Just so banal. I was really looking forward to an article positing the existence of negrotron particles.

Thank you for the Halloween costume idea.

Success or failure? Canada's drug decriminalisation test faces scrutiny

Last year, British Columbia (BC) became the first province in Canada to decriminalise the use of hard drugs as part of its efforts to tackle a deadly opioids crisis. But the policy is facing pushback, leaving its future uncertain.

Every Monday, former Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart would receive an email listing all the people who had died in the city from a drug overdose the previous week.

One day, three years ago, that list included the name of a relative - his brother-in-law's sister, Susan Havelock.

"She died out here on the street at two o'clock in the morning," Mr Stewart told the BBC at his office in Downtown Vancouver, pointing out the window.

"When it gets in your family, you begin to see how desperate this whole situation is."

North America is in the midst of a toxic drug crisis. Fatal overdoses peaked above 112,000 in the US for the first time last year.

In Canada, nowhere is this issue felt more acutely than in BC, where the crisis was first declared a public health emergency in 2016. Last year, the province saw a record of more than 2,500 overdose deaths.

About 225,000 people are estimated to use illegal drugs in BC, and experts say a toxic street drug supply - laced with fentanyl and other products - places each of them at risk of death.

karmajay wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:
karmajay wrote:

TBH does it really matter any more if "down ticket" Rs get money? All they have to do is have a name on the ballot and Rs are gonna punch it for them. Doesn't matter about their history, policies, experience, etc, nada matters except that they have that R next to it and maybe they have a blurb somewhere stating they love Trump.

It does matter because whomever the independents swing for is who get elected.

"Independents" have probably gone the way of the dodo in 2024. I would not trust anyone who said they are independent. They are either lying or very naive.

I feel like "naive" is a polite way of saying "inexcusably ignorant." A significant portion of these "independents" are like that girl who blamed Biden for losing abortion rights just because he happened to be President at the time.

gewy wrote:
karmajay wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:
karmajay wrote:

TBH does it really matter any more if "down ticket" Rs get money? All they have to do is have a name on the ballot and Rs are gonna punch it for them. Doesn't matter about their history, policies, experience, etc, nada matters except that they have that R next to it and maybe they have a blurb somewhere stating they love Trump.

It does matter because whomever the independents swing for is who get elected.

"Independents" have probably gone the way of the dodo in 2024. I would not trust anyone who said they are independent. They are either lying or very naive.

I feel like "naive" is a polite way of saying "inexcusably ignorant." A significant portion of these "independents" are like that girl who blamed Biden for losing abortion rights just because he happened to be President at the time.

This is true. But I am an independent because I got tired of being hit up by the Democratic Party every 5 minutes for money. I'll still vote that way. I also hate the two party system.

Ultra Maga sounds like a bad Power Rangers villain. (My apologies to Power Rangers).

The grift- Can't stop, won't stop.

The highest level of contributions to the Trump 47 Committee – as the joint fundraising committee is known – is called “Ultra MAGA” and is designated for individuals who donate $814,600, the current limit that one person can currently donate to Trump 47.

The other levels include:

“Team Trump 2024” for those who donate $250,000.

“Team America First” for $100,000 contributions.

“Club 47” at $50,000.

“MAGA 24” at the $24,000 level.

Perks for those contributing at the top level include seating at Trump’s table at dinner, along with a photo opportunity and a personalized copy of Trump’s “Our Journey Together” coffee table book.

At this point, it would be a surprise to hear anything TFG does that makes money (other than grifting for his legal fees)

Trump’s media stock plunges after posting a big loss for 2023

Shares of Truth Social owner Trump Media & Technology Group plunged Monday after the company disclosed that it lost more than $58 million and generated very little revenue in 2023.

The figures underscore why some experts warn Trump Media’s multibillion-dollar valuation defies logic and is reminiscent of the meme stock craze.

In a regulatory filing on Monday, Trump Media said it lost $58.2 million in 2023, compared with a profit of $50.5 million in 2022.

The Truth Social owner generated just $4.1 million in revenue, although that was up from $1.5 million in 2022.

Not only that, but revenue tumbled 39% year-over-year in the fourth quarter to just $751,500. That’s not what investors want to see from any start-up, especially one valued at these levels.

Shares of Trump Media tumbled 24% Monday afternoon following the new filings, though they are still up nearly 200% so far this year.

The losses are so severe that Trump Media’s accountants warned they “raise substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern,” which is Wall Street for: We may not be able to stay in business. That warning echoes one made in November when accountants said Trump Media might not survive unless it soon completes its merger to go public.
Even though Trump Media is losing money and generating scant revenue, Wall Street has valued the company by as much as $11 billion based on the stock’s closing price Friday, according to Renaissance Capital.
JC wrote:

At this point, it would be a surprise to hear anything TFG does that makes money (other than grifting for his legal fees)

Trump’s media stock plunges after posting a big loss for 2023

Shares of Truth Social owner Trump Media & Technology Group plunged Monday after the company disclosed that it lost more than $58 million and generated very little revenue in 2023.

The figures underscore why some experts warn Trump Media’s multibillion-dollar valuation defies logic and is reminiscent of the meme stock craze.

In a regulatory filing on Monday, Trump Media said it lost $58.2 million in 2023, compared with a profit of $50.5 million in 2022.

The Truth Social owner generated just $4.1 million in revenue, although that was up from $1.5 million in 2022.

Not only that, but revenue tumbled 39% year-over-year in the fourth quarter to just $751,500. That’s not what investors want to see from any start-up, especially one valued at these levels.

Shares of Trump Media tumbled 24% Monday afternoon following the new filings, though they are still up nearly 200% so far this year.

The losses are so severe that Trump Media’s accountants warned they “raise substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern,” which is Wall Street for: We may not be able to stay in business. That warning echoes one made in November when accountants said Trump Media might not survive unless it soon completes its merger to go public.
Even though Trump Media is losing money and generating scant revenue, Wall Street has valued the company by as much as $11 billion based on the stock’s closing price Friday, according to Renaissance Capital.

On the one hand, it isn't at all surprising that a start up new media company is not making any money. The growth phase of those companies always involves a significant burn rate period. So in that sense the fact that it hasn't reached profitability is both unsurprising and an unfair measure.

On the other hand, there ARE measurables and metrics that you can use for evaluating the value of such a company. There are plenty of examples of competitors and their valuations. The business model is not novel. The path to profitability is not original. And by those measures, Trump Social is most definitely a pile of steaming dogsh*t. This is not the next killer app. Trump Social is to Facebook as the Ark Experience is to Disneyland.

When Facebook etc. are outlawed, and your livelihood depends on the Social Points gained from praising Trump through the app, it will be the next killer app.

Paleocon wrote:

This is not the next killer app. Trump Social is to Facebook as the Ark Experience is to Disneyland.

Ohhh!!!! So it has dinosaurs!!!?

Meow meow beans

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/y3bacma.gif)

Video shows California police fatally shooting teenager who was reported kidnapped

Newly released law enforcement footage captures the moment California police fatally shot an unarmed 15-year-old girl who was a reported kidnapping victim.

On 27 September 2022, San Bernardino county sheriff’s deputies were searching for Savannah Graziano, who was feared abducted by her father Anthony Graziano after he had fatally shot her mother the day before.

Deputies cornered Anthony Graziano’s vehicle on the side of a freeway in Hesperia, 80 miles east of Los Angeles. When Savannah exited the vehicle, they opened fire and killed her. The shooting sparked national concern, with critics questioning how officers wound up killing the teenage girl they were tasked with rescuing.

Sheriff’s officials claimed following the shooting that it was unclear whether Savannah was shot by deputies or her father, and they said deputies didn’t realize it was her when she got out of the car. For nearly two years, they refused to release footage of the shooting.

But on Friday, the department disclosed nearly a dozen video files to the independent journalist Joey Scott, who filed records requests 18 months prior. The clips – which were shared with the Guardian and include helicopter footage – show deputies shooting at Savannah as she followed their instructions to move toward them. The videos also suggest deputies shot her after two officers remarked that it was the girl who exited. The footage, and the sheriff’s narration of the video, further make clear she was killed by deputies, not her father.

The sheriff’s department declined to comment.

From the footage/video, I'm gonna go with "You all do not appear to have done an A+ job here."

Did she drop an acorn?

ThomasJay wrote:

Did she drop an acorn?

Wow. It's like she had to be a black autism counselor eating ice cream on her couch or something.

Being kidnapped while black is a thing now.

*sigh* I know this should not be surprising given the judge.

In perhaps prosecutors’ strongest rebuke yet to how Judge Aileen Cannon has handled the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump, special counsel Jack Smith said in court filings late Tuesday evening that the judge had ordered briefings based on a “fundamentally flawed” understanding of the case that has “no basis in law or fact.”

Smith’s team harshly critiqued Cannon’s request for jury instructions that embraced Trump’s claims that he had broad authority to take classified government documents and said it would seek an appeals court review if she accepted the former president’s arguments about his record-retention powers.

In an unusual order last month, Cannon asked attorneys on the classified documents case to submit briefs on potential jury instructions defining terms of the Espionage Act, under which Trump is charged over mishandling 32 classified records. Specifically, Cannon asked the special counsel and defense attorneys to write two versions of proposed jury instructions.

The first scenario would instruct a jury to assess whether each of the records that Trump is accused of retaining fell into the categories of “personal” or “presidential” as laid out by the Presidential Records Act, a post-Watergate law that governs how White House records belonging to the government are to be handled at the end of a presidency.

The second version Cannon asked for assumes that as president, Trump had complete authority to take records he wanted from the White House, which would make it nearly impossible for prosecutors to secure a conviction. If she were to institute this sort of instruction, Smith’s team said, “the Government must be provided with an opportunity to seek prompt appellate review.”

“Both scenarios rest on an unstated and fundamentally flawed legal premise — namely, that the Presidential Records Act and in particular its distinction between ‘personal’ and ‘Presidential’ records, determines whether a former President is ‘authorized,’ under the Espionage Act, to possess highly classified documents and store them in an unsecure facility,” the special counsel’s team wrote.

If allowed to be presented to a jury, prosecutors said, “that premise would distort the trial.”

Cannon appeared skeptical that the charges should be outright dismissed during the hearing, but she said that Trump’s attorneys were making “forceful” arguments that may be appropriate to present to a trial jury.

Hey Aileen, yelling louder does not make your argument stronger.

Orange privilege strikes again.

“fundamentally flawed” understanding of the case that has “no basis in law or fact.”

This seems to be the Trump way with every case, whether it's his own lawyers or his appointed judges.

JC wrote:

The second version Cannon asked for assumes that as president, Trump had complete authority to take records he wanted from the White House, which would make it nearly impossible for prosecutors to secure a conviction.

I want you to make a set of instructions in which you instruct the jury that, although Person A murdered Person B in cold blood, Person A had complete authority to do so. I wonder what kind of verdict the jury will come back with?

In unrelated news, you can't convict a judge for jury tampering, can you?

In practice probably not. But she should be impeached.