[Discussion] Mass Shootings - Yeah, we need a thread just for this...

This year is the deadliest year ever in terms of mass shootings. In a political climate of polarization, it becomes harder to suss out legitimate information from the misinformation propagated by those with political agendas. Complicating this more is the continual resistance of 2nd amendment advocates to allow for political talk surrounding these massacres. This will involve political discussion to see if there are ways we can all agree might be good ways to prevent mass shootings.

This discussion should involve the details of any current, or future mass shooting, and how they compare to past mass shootings. How are they the same? How are they different? Do gun laws have an impact? Does the race of the shooter affect how we treat them? What makes one a hate crime and one an act or terrorism? Are these shootings the price of freedom?

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Trophy Husband wrote:

GA lieutenant governor threatens to kill tax break legislation if Delta doesn't restore their relationship with the NRA.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...

That confuses me so much. Why does the LG care what relationships companies have other organizations? I mean, aside from said organizations paying him to care, there has to be some sort of reasonable on-the-surface reasoning.

Does running for Governor of GA this year count?

Nevin73 wrote:
PissedYeti wrote:

I came to the realization yesterday that I agree with the statement "Guns don't kill people". It's the bullets. Let them buy all the guns they want. Just ban bullets. So what's the next thing on my to-do list here ... poverty. Hmmm ...

I want to say I hadn't seen that but being as old as I am I'm not certain that would be true. I'm pretty sure none of my ideas are original but I like to think they are for just a little bit before some smartypants internet poster ruins it for me I like a lot of the suggestions made here (repealing certain ridiculous laws, better classification of weapons/ammo that can be sold to the public, ...etc) but I don't see any of our public voices, or at least the ones people listen to, making those same sorts of reasonable proposals. Everything is emotional and extreme but that seems to be the Information Age for you.

lunchbox12682 wrote:
Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Trophy Husband wrote:

GA lieutenant governor threatens to kill tax break legislation if Delta doesn't restore their relationship with the NRA.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...

That confuses me so much. Why does the LG care what relationships companies have other organizations? I mean, aside from said organizations paying him to care, there has to be some sort of reasonable on-the-surface reasoning.

Does running for Governor of GA this year count?

The NRA is funding his gubernatorial run.

Just saw on the morning news that Dicks sporting goods is self limiting their gun sales. All 21 plus, no high capacity mags, and no more assault rifles all stated directly from the FL incident. I know nothing more beyond that but nice to see a company taking steps.

Other states welcome Delta after Georgia tax dispute with NRA

As the Georgia legislature considers blocking a tax break for Delta Air Lines, other states and cities are lining up to put out the welcome mat for the carrier to move its headquarters from Atlanta.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, tweeted to Delta on Tuesday that “if Georgia politicians disagree with your stand against gun violence, we invite you to move your headquarters to New York.”

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, tweeted to Delta that “you’re welcome here any time.”

The solicitations came after leaders of the Georgia state Senate threatened a jet-fuel tax break Monday for Delta because of the airline’s halt to a discount-fare program with the National Rifle Association.

Delta announced the change Saturday in an effort to stay out of the political debate over gun control after the Feb. 14 shooting deaths of 17 people at a Florida high school.

Even members of Congress are joining the recruitment. Democratic Rep. Tim Ryan tweeted that the quality of life and infrastructure in northwest Ohio would make a great headquarters for the airline.

“I’d love to show you around!” Ryan said.

Local officials didn’t want to miss out on the action. Randall Woodfin, the mayor of Birmingham, Ala., invited a chat about moving Delta’s headquarters to his city.

Ya know, as much as it would suck for Atlanta... can you imagine what losing Atlanta's Delta HQ status would do for arse-hole's gubernatorial bid next year? The hotel industry there would crater over-night.

thrawn82 wrote:

Ya know, as much as it would suck for Atlanta... can you imagine what losing Atlanta's Delta HQ status would do for arse-hole's gubernatorial bid next year? The hotel industry there would crater over-night.

It might solve Atlanta's trainwreck of a traffic problem though.

Hobear wrote:

Just saw on the morning news that Dicks sporting goods is self limiting their gun sales. All 21 plus, no high capacity mags, and no more assault rifles all stated directly from the FL incident. I know nothing more beyond that but nice to see a company taking steps.

Apparently they did the same thing after Sandy Hook, until attention wanted.

From the other thread where this is being discussed https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/...

Baron Of Hell wrote:

This is true but that is what they said they would do. They specifically said they would suspend the sells after Sandy Hook, now they are saying they will permanently stop the sells.

I've mostly been ignoring this story (because it's mostly a stupid attempt to gin up a nonexistent conspiracy) but the President of the United States has been talking about it.

Tampa Bay Times: Shooting survivor’s father admits email changes in CNN spat

The conservative father of one of the survivors tried to get his son's question at the CNN town hall expanded to a mini-rant, and CNN said no. The father then tried to accuse CNN of scripting the questions...by providing a doctored version of the email.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWw8NF1XUAE4vRo.jpg:large)

The accusation was picked up by Fox, followed by POTUS using it to accuse CNN.

Glenn Haab told the Associated Press he omitted some words from the email but said he didn't do it on purpose.

"There was nothing malicious behind it," he said.

Sure. Because deleting words in a forwarded email just happens sometimes, with no intention at all. /s

Was he worried the extra characters would cause technical difficulties with Fox's email server?

Paleocon wrote:
thrawn82 wrote:

Ya know, as much as it would suck for Atlanta... can you imagine what losing Atlanta's Delta HQ status would do for arse-hole's gubernatorial bid next year? The hotel industry there would crater over-night.

It might solve Atlanta's trainwreck of a traffic problem though.

Would it? I think a large portion of that problem is pass-through traffic. It is on one of only two highway corridors in the southeast.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Glenn Haab told the Associated Press he omitted some words from the email but said he didn't do it on purpose.

"There was nothing malicious behind it," he said.

Sure. Because deleting words in a forwarded email just happens sometimes, with no intention at all. /s

Was he worried the extra characters would cause technical difficulties with Fox's email server?

I think he was worried it would cause technical difficulties with their propoganda editorial staff.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Glenn Haab told the Associated Press he omitted some words from the email but said he didn't do it on purpose.

"There was nothing malicious behind it," he said.

Sure. Because deleting words in a forwarded email just happens sometimes, with no intention at all. /s

Was he worried the extra characters would cause technical difficulties with Fox's email server?

He pasted it into a Word document, which is approximately the worst way to cover up your secret edits, particularly when the other party by definition has the complete metadata.

Not a mass shooting, but not sure where else this goes.

http://time.com/5179477/dalton-high-...

Teacher went to a school and shot at the school, but not at people.

That's a real go-getter there, it's important to let higher-ups know you're ready for new positions and responsibilities.

The president is holding a meeting with congressional leaders right now on guns. He's such a f*cking moron. He won't stop talking about "offensive firepower" in the schools and how this would prevent shootings as a deterrent.

Also he keeps saying the NRA wants to do the right thing.

Holy sh*t. This sort of thing is a fascinating, horrifying, and absolutely surreal window into the fringes (please tell me this is fringe) of American gun culture.

DC Malleus wrote:

Holy sh*t. This sort of thing is a fascinating, horrifying, and absolutely surreal window into the fringes (please tell me this is fringe) of American gun culture.

It's a splinter group of the Unification church, lead by the youngest son of Moon, so it is a bit fringe. I can see something similar happening in some other Evangelical denominations, but this particular instance seems to be because his brother owns an arms manufacturer down the road.

Trump pissed the pro-2A people off a few days ago with a tweet they didn't like. Yeah... this is going to be worse:

President Trump wrote:

Take the guns first, go through due process second

It's funny now, but you do have to wonder what this Fascist is going to decide doesn't need due process next.

From the context "dangerous" means mentally ill, which is troubling. Especially since, historically, it's a short step for "dangerous" to mean "doesn't support our president".

Especially since the parallel-reality construction crew is currently in full force.

WP: We studied thousands of anonymous posts about the Parkland attack — and found a conspiracy in the making

Forty-seven minutes after news broke of a high school shooting in Parkland, Fla., the posters on the anonymous chat board 8chan had devised a plan to bend the public narrative to their own designs: “Start looking for [Jewish] numerology and crisis actors.”

The voices from this dark corner of the Internet quickly coalesced around a plan of attack: Use details gleaned from news reports and other sources to push false information about one of America’s deadliest school shootings.

The Sandy Hook shooting resulted in dead six-year-olds.

The Las Vegas shooting resulted in 58 dead and over 400 wounded.

The Stoneman Douglas shooting results in 17 deaths.

Yet there's an organized and ongoing effort to try to tie all of these to a fake conspiracy. 4chan, 8chan, InfoWars, and others are persistently trying to push the idea that these shootings didn't happen. Or that the Democrats did it. And they keep circling back to blame "the jews".

There's something sick here, some ghoulish illness of the soul.

Walmart also raised minimum age to 21.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wa...

NPR: Georgia School Evacuated After Teacher Barricaded Himself In Classroom And Fired Gun
CNN: Georgia teacher arrested after firing gun in school, police say

(CNN)A north Georgia high school teacher was arrested on Wednesday after he barricaded himself in a classroom and fired a shot from his handgun out of a window, police said.

No one was injured in the incident at Dalton High School, except for a female student who injured an ankle running through the school, police spokesman Bruce Frazier said.

The shooting about 85 miles north of Atlanta heightened the already tense debate around guns in schools in the wake of the deadly mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, two weeks ago.

Miami Herald: Florida legislators advance bill arming teachers over objection of Parkland parents
NPR: Seeking To Make Schools Safer, Florida Legislators Take Up Gun Measures

The GOP plan bears several similarities to the one proposed Gov. Rick Scott; both would raise the legal purchasing age of firearms to 21 from 18, implement a ban on bump stocks, increase school safety protocols and give police and courts more authority to take guns out of the hands of anyone deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.

Where they diverge, is in the debate over arming qualified school teachers. Like President Trump, Republican lawmakers argue student safety would be bolstered if teachers with concealed-carry permits and at least 132 hours of weapons training could carry guns on campus. Under the changes they would be acting under auspices of local law enforcement.

Edit:

CNN wrote:

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told CNN that gunman Nikolas Cruz had 180 rounds of ammunition remaining and could have exacted a deadlier toll at the school. The official said Nikolas Cruz had swastikas etched into his rifle magazines and, at one point, attempted to break a hurricane-proof window, to no avail.

CBS: Shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz had swastikas on ammunition magazines

He probably only carved those swastikas as a prank.

It's just locker-room carvings.

Edit. Nope. Selfcensoring. Reading it again made my stomach hurt. My cynicism is broken.
f*cking dusty with rage in here.

Quite surprised to see the language that came out of the Donald from the gun talk with legislators yesterday. I know it doesn't mean much but was nice to see the NRA lambasted a bit by GOP and the President they supported. It's the small wins.

Hobear wrote:

Quite surprised to see the language that came out of the Donald from the gun talk with legislators yesterday. I know it doesn't mean much but was nice to see the NRA lambasted a bit by GOP and the President they supported. It's the small wins.

Did any GOP folks align with the president on this? All i saw was 'Well what senile granpa meant to say was we are continuing with a limited response..."

thrawn82 wrote:
Hobear wrote:

Quite surprised to see the language that came out of the Donald from the gun talk with legislators yesterday. I know it doesn't mean much but was nice to see the NRA lambasted a bit by GOP and the President they supported. It's the small wins.

Did any GOP folks align with the president on this? All i saw was 'Well what senile granpa meant to say was we are continuing with a limited response..."

No, but a Democrat Chris Murphy immediately spoke up and explicitly told Trump that he would have to take the lead against the gun lobby.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...

Jonman wrote:

It's just locker-room carvings.

but look at his swim times!