2018 NBA Catch-All - LeBron Fallout Edition

Oh man. The steroid scandal killed baseball for a number of years. I really hope there isn't one in the pipe for the NBA.
That would really suck. Especially since I have to believe that basketball is much harder on the body than baseball.

Once again, I’m not saying I believe that. It’s just the only thing (outside of his in-game histrionics) that makes some sense when I hear people talking about hating him. That he’s *too good* and it feels somehow unfair.

Otherwise even the off-the-court drama is no different from how Jordan was. Imagine Jordan with social media. He was so petty. He gave one of the worst HOF speeches, because he still can’t get over the idea that anyone thinks they could beat him.

I hate on LeBron because he doesn't play for my team.

The decision was awful. But he was regretful and I don’t blame him 100% for that. In the end he had the final say but ESPN pushed hard for it.

Guy goes entire seasons without fouling out. Bitches at the refs all the time anyway even though he gets all the calls. Never gets a tech. The thing with Draymond 2 finals ago that LeBron instigated and got no punishment for. He never should have a title in Cleveland. He should have one less in Miami too. Trophy was on the floor and the Spurs coughed it away, not to mention Ray Allen saving them because LeBron choked on the tying shot. And yes, the Decision.

He just not as good as he thinks he is.

Oh boy

- Jordan’s push off on Byron Russell
- Shaq never getting called for an offensive foul
- Suns / Robert Horry incident

If you’re going to try and re-litigate NBA history via officiating then LeBron’s career is the least of your troubles.

Stele wrote:

Guy goes entire seasons without fouling out. Bitches at the refs all the time anyway even though he gets all the calls. Never gets a tech. The thing with Draymond 2 finals ago that LeBron instigated and got no punishment for. He never should have a title in Cleveland. He should have one less in Miami too. Trophy was on the floor and the Spurs coughed it away, not to mention Ray Allen saving them because LeBron choked on the tying shot. And yes, the Decision.

He just not as good as he thinks he is.

This is why I don’t listen to sports talk that takes listener calls.

I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive. That both LeBron is a one of a kind phenomenal player AND not as good as he thinks he is.

*subscribing to steles newsletter*

Not sure I'd go that far but

One of my gripes with LeBron is he was so contrived. His image was so controlled it was plastic. He's opening up now which makes it hard to keep hating.

Edit: also some of the stars currently seem like the anti clutch.

Was last night's game compelling? Yes. Was it good basketball to watch Houston implode from deep and not force GS to be even better? Blah.

If Houston even shot a bad % it would of forced GS to put up an epic performance. I feel somewhat cheated.

I looked it up, Lebron had 4 techs this year, tied for 80th. Out of 150 starters in the league, so right in the middle.

I just get tired of dominant players/teams and want to see new stories. Part of that is being from a hard luck sports town and part is just liking underdogs.

Dominant teams/players I enjoy pushing back on;
80's Niners
90's Cowboys
MJ
Kobe
Yankees
Red Sox
BronBron
Tiger
Brady
Pats
Man U
Alabama

Dominant players/teams I like:
Timmy
Spurs
80's Hurricanes
Michael Phelps
Current Warriors
Showtime Lakers

For me, you need to seem like you're having fun (Phelps is an exception) and the dominant teams that appear to be genuinely enjoying the ride (as opposed to MJ or Belicheck or Saban or Tiger's No Fun Winning Only approach) are the ones I like. LeBron's most fun years were when he was in Miami playing with abandon with his buddies.

That story is absolutely fascinating.

I'd like to admit now that I operate several burner accounts here at GWJ as well where I:

- Criticize GWJ posters, including Jayhawker, Gameguru, and Nerlens Noel
- Publicly debate the decisions of GWJ management, as well as critique former Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie and Derek Smart
- Telegraph the recent server updates
- Disclose nonpublic medical information about Certis and gossip about Elysium to members of the national and Philadelphia media

Spoiler:

EDIT: I had to work so hard to resist the urge to ACTUALLY create a burner account and post something.

What a weird story, and weird thing for the guy to do.

Stele wrote:

Guy goes entire seasons without fouling out. Bitches at the refs all the time anyway even though he gets all the calls. Never gets a tech. The thing with Draymond 2 finals ago that LeBron instigated and got no punishment for. He never should have a title in Cleveland. He should have one less in Miami too. Trophy was on the floor and the Spurs coughed it away, not to mention Ray Allen saving them because LeBron choked on the tying shot. And yes, the Decision.

He just not as good as he thinks he is.

I would have also accepted “he is a poopy pants”

Lebron is a top 10 player all time but pushed as the GOAT. He's not even the GOAT of his generation. I'd take Kobe and Duncan over him. He's played in the Eastern conference his entire career. Other than the couple years the big 3 were healthy for the Celtics he's had very little competition relative to what Western teams go through. There's a reason he's made it to the Finals so often yet lost more than he's won. He should be in the Finals every year in that conference.

Now as far as Lebron's public persona I don't have a problem with him. He's always seemed like a stand up guy. The decision never really bothered me. It was silly but hardly something to hate someone over.

JeremyK wrote:

Lebron is a top 10 player all time but pushed as the GOAT. He's not even the GOAT of his generation. I'd take Kobe and Duncan over him. He's played in the Eastern conference his entire career. Other than the couple years the big 3 were healthy for the Celtics he's had very little competition relative to what Western teams go through. There's a reason he's made it to the Finals so often yet lost more than he's won. He should be in the Finals every year in that conference.

Now as far as Lebron's public persona I don't have a problem with him. He's always seemed like a stand up guy. The decision never really bothered me. It was silly but hardly something to hate someone over.

This is a good take.

I disagree about him *only* being top 10. I definitely wouldn’t take Kobe over him and neither he nor Duncan carried a team the way LeBron has. Of course, Duncan did things (salary, etc.) that allowed the organization to build around him, so that’s a push.

I think you’re 100% right to have us remember that during LeBron’s career the NBA champion has normally come out of the Western Conference and that the Finals trips shouldn’t be weighted as heavily as the titles when seen through that lens.

I think Kobe is overrated and would definitely take Lebron over Kobe.

DSGamer wrote:

- Jordan’s push off on Byron Russell
- Shaq never getting called for an offensive foul
- Suns / Robert Horry incident

If you’re going to try and re-litigate NBA history via officiating then LeBron’s career is the least of your troubles.

Don't forget every single moving screen that Golden State/Everyone in the NBA uses to get shooters free from distance now.

Player Hater wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

- Jordan’s push off on Byron Russell
- Shaq never getting called for an offensive foul
- Suns / Robert Horry incident

If you’re going to try and re-litigate NBA history via officiating then LeBron’s career is the least of your troubles.

Don't forget every single moving screen that Golden State/Everyone in the NBA uses to get shooters free from distance now.

Good point. That’s driving me pretty crazy right now.

Honestly, of every sport I watch, basketball seem to have the most random officiating and enforcement of the rules. I don't get too worked up on bad calls, because it's the whole game and both teams. To be fair, it might also be the hardest game to officiate.

But, for me, it just makes all the whining about players getting favorable calls and flopping just grist for fans that want to believe their team got screwed. There are more bad calls in a basketball game than Trump lies in a campaign speech. It's just the sport, and the advent of super slow-mo and HD resolutions means we catch everything missed now.

In basketball, you have to overcome the bad calls, because letting them psych you out ignores the fact that you also benefited from bad calls.

Jayhawker wrote:

Honestly, of every sport I watch, basketball seem to have the most random officiating and enforcement of the rules.

You must have missed the umpiring crew calling balls and strikes in the Cardinals at Brewers series, huh?

bhchrist wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:

Honestly, of every sport I watch, basketball seem to have the most random officiating and enforcement of the rules.

You must have missed the umpiring crew calling balls and strikes in the Cardinals at Brewers series, huh?
:)

Ha!

I have no idea why we aren't using computers for balls and strikes at this point. They are more accurate, and, more importantly, more consistent.

My prediction is Warriors in 5, with at least two blow out wins.

Let's hope.

I haven't seen this many people boo a JR since Dallas.