Nintendo Switch Catch-All 2.0

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKT9vMdWAAAhzMT.jpg)

Spotted at TGS. That there is Umihara Kawase. The original devs went belly up a few years ago and Success Corp owns the rights now.

Anyway, looks like they're developing on for Switch. Woot!

And now to see how much Otaku pandering will be done to sell the game

Stele wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

When I got Breath of the Wild I wanted to find out what all the Zelda amiibos did in the game and found this exhaustive chart. The creator has since changed it to a more manageable website.

*Amiibo image*

Already that thing needs updates. Turns out the new Metroid amiibos work with Federation Force too.

Oh neat! And I can't imagine how much of a chore maintaining that chart must be! Nintendo's own website doesn't do a great job of telling you what the amiibos do

Every time my resolve wavers and I think a Switch makes much more sense for our household than a PS4, I pop in here and I feel a little justified in holding off a little longer. Sure exclusives are starting to pile up a little, the odd new indie or jprg is announced or released, it's getting there for sure.

However last page or so posts like Doom coming soon. Inside coming to the Switch. Lovers in a Dangerous Space-time to be released... dampen my urgency somewhat.

Cost might not be an issue for some, but I've played these games and having been out a while am guessing at a fraction of the cost, Lovers being a giveaway PS+ game not too long back (it is very good local co-op btw, but double dipping at full price good? Nah). Doom can be picked up new for a tenner, a no brainer at that price, but full price for a game not sure is essential in mobile mode, more of a couch game? Mmm...

It's six months down the road now and I am keen, but also keeping an eye on the releases and the weekly GWJ front page article the list of new titles still feels very anemic. There would probably be enough Nintendo titles to keep us happy, but think waiting for the external titles to catch up with the release dates on other consoles might be the way to go. For me at least, as I can eventually see it replacing the PS4, but the time is not right just yet.

Steamworld Dig 2 releasing, news of the next Wolfenstein coming to Switch have my ears pricked up, hopefully this will continue and I will be all in... one Switch, probably two in the house, cash permitting!

Edit: this is not me complaining about Nintendo, it's me convincing myself to be sensible and not splurge £500+ right now

I agree that these early months that are mostly made up of ports that have been out for a long time on other platforms is a downer, especially since they're usually selling for full price, vs them having been heavily discounted or free before.

That said, the portability of the Switch is really the X factor here. As a long commuter, having these games on the Switch and more easily playable sometimes justifies the double dip. I'm also getting more inclined to hold off on indie titles for a bit to see if a Switch release is forthcoming. If you don't have a commute or other venue to play outside the house, then the portability factor may mean less, though I definitely play mine in the house in handheld mode more than I thought I would, and others have said the same.

But yeah, there's not a ton of exclusive stuff at the moment. For me, it's basically down to Zelda and Mario + Rabbids, with Mario Odyssey and potentially Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the way. I know Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Arms are big for some folks. So while I think the Switch is fantastic and get more time out of it than the PS4, there's nothing wrong with waiting. The first year of any console's release is always going to be a bit thin on releases.

Chaz wrote:

As a long commuter, having these games on the Switch and more easily playable sometimes justifies the double dip. I'm also getting more inclined to hold off on indie titles for a bit to see if a Switch release is forthcoming. If you don't have a commute or other venue to play outside the house, then the portability factor may mean less, though I definitely play mine in the house in handheld mode more than I thought I would, and others have said the same.

My commute consists of climbing a ladder to the loft, so not a big selling point there. However with just the one TV in the house I rarely get to play games for myself on the PS4 until very late in the eve, or a cheeky long lunch, so handheld mode at home would be great for me / us!

Bubblefuzz wrote:

There would probably be enough Nintendo titles to keep us happy, but think waiting for the external titles to catch up with the release dates on other consoles might be the way to go. For me at least, as I can eventually see it replacing the PS4, but the time is not right just yet.

Steamworld Dig 2 releasing, news of the next Wolfenstein coming to Switch have my ears pricked up, hopefully this will continue and I will be all in... one Switch, probably two in the house, cash permitting!

What you're talking about really started in earnest this month. 3rd party parity releases, from the small like Steamworld to the big like NBA 2K18.

And when Mario comes in Oct and we head to the holiday shopping season, stock will probably be scarce again.

Highly recommend buying one in the next 4 weeks if you want one for retail price in the next 4 months.

The library situation will get better over time, but I wouldn't go into owning a Switch expecting it to have library parity with the other consoles. That just won't happen primarily because the specs on the system lag behind the other platforms.

That said, it's really shaping up to be a good platform for smaller developers and it's looking to become the de facto replacement for the Vita for the Japanese publishers/developers given the increasing trend of PS4/Switch as the platforms for their mid-tier titles. I'm totally convinced that the big Western publishers are going to go in heavily on the Switch after the Wii U's struggles and the Wii's sales cratering around the 3rd year, but getting substantial buy-in from Bethesda and Ubisoft is a pretty big deal. Whether or not 2K, EA, or Activision-Blizzard will follow suit is a huge mystery, but hopefully some successes from Bethesda and Ubisoft will convince them to support the system.

Chaz wrote:

I agree that these early months that are mostly made up of ports that have been out for a long time on other platforms is a downer, especially since they're usually selling for full price, vs them having been heavily discounted or free before.

The system still doesn't have that large of an installation base and developers / publishers still need to recoup the porting cost somehow. Also, there are people out there who haven't played some of these games yet or maybe want a portable version so I don't think that makes them any less valuable to have on the service. Sure the pricing is less than ideal for double/triple-dippers but I'd still heartily recommend Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to any one who never played it on the Wii U even at $60 or Shovel Knight for $25 despite the fact you probably could've picked it up for less during the last Steam sale.

shoptroll wrote:
Chaz wrote:

I agree that these early months that are mostly made up of ports that have been out for a long time on other platforms is a downer, especially since they're usually selling for full price, vs them having been heavily discounted or free before.

The system still doesn't have that large of an installation base and developers / publishers still need to recoup the porting cost somehow. Also, there are people out there who haven't played some of these games yet or maybe want a portable version so I don't think that makes them any less valuable to have on the service. Sure the pricing is less than ideal for double/triple-dippers but I'd still heartily recommend Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to any one who never played it on the Wii U even at $60 or Shovel Knight for $25 despite the fact you probably could've picked it up for less during the last Steam sale.

I definitely don't mind them charging full price. I just have a hard time paying it for games that I already bought before, even if buying it on the Switch means I'll actually play them. A game that's worth $20 at full price is one thing, but that same game at $40 because I bought it before is a way harder sell. Forget about stuff like Mario Kart, where I paid $60 for it already. Basically, I'm glad they're there, but I can't make myself re-buy a lot of them because I'm a cheapskate. I did buy Shovel Knight because I'd never gotten to it, and it's great.

@Bubblefuzz, the off-TV thing can be a huge benefit depending on your situation. Before we bought our house, we were living with my in-laws. Every night, they'd want to watch police procedurals. I very didn't, so I'd sit on the couch with them and play something on the Wii U's gamepad, and it was great. I don't have to do that as much these days, but having the option to is absolutely great.

Basically, one of the Switch's best features is that you can fit it into almost any situation. Have access to the TV? It's a big screen console. Someone else needs to use the TV? Grab it and keep going. Need to be able to fit it into short breaks while watching kids? Sleep mode means you can start and stop it whenever you want. Have a commute or trip? Throw it in the bag and keep going. This is the first console I can think of that can fit into almost any lifestyle. (I'm kind of fanboying over it because this is the exact thing I've been wanting for over five years, ever since I stopped being a single dude living alone.)

The thing to keep in mind about Switch is that it is never going to have the best version of a game that's on PS4 and Xbox One. Be it resolution, frame-rate, texture quality, and even select gameplay features being removed, it's going to be a trade-off. What makes it a selling point on the Switch is playing it mobile. Let's say your family goes on holiday for a week. You can now have DOOM to help you unwind in the hotel room before going to bed! Or for a plane ride! Or, if you have a family like mine that simply enjoys being in the same room together while rewatching Iron Man on TV for the 274th time, it's perfect for just sitting on the couch getting your game time in while everyone feels like you're all being a family.

If these things do not interest you, then the Switch is going to be a Nintendo machine specifically. I went in knowing that's all it could ever be for me because I love Nintendo. But that's really what it comes down to. Do you want a machine that lets you game on the couch while the kids get to watch Doc McStuffins or the spouse gets to watch their guilty pleasure that you don't share? Or do you just want to play Nintendo's latest? Because those are the reasons to get a Switch.

I might wait until Nintendo puts DOOM and L.A. Noire on sale before rebuying. Same with Pokken Tournament. The shame is, I want to support all these games because of course I want more of them. But it really does depend on that price point.

I'm not too fussed about tech specs and quantity of games compared to PS4. Quality, plus as mentioned parity on dates and prices are things that concern me more hence the question of timing.

ccesarano wrote:

If you have a family like mine that simply enjoys being in the same room together while rewatching Iron Man on TV for the 274th time, it's perfect for just sitting on the couch getting your game time in while everyone feels like you're all being a family.

You're getting it, Chaz too, only having one TV is a choice we made a long time ago for this reason and when I keep popping back in to say the Switch would be ideal for us, this is why.

ccesarano wrote:

Do you want a machine that lets you game on the couch while the kids get to watch Doc McStuffins or the spouse gets to watch their guilty pleasure that you don't share? Or do you just want to play Nintendo's latest? Because those are the reasons to get a Switch.

Shared space more than playing Nintendo's latest tbh, that's just a very big bonus

For me the "best" version of the game is the one that I can actually play acceptably. If the graphics on the Switch version are hugely compromised or it runs at a terrible frame rate, that's one thing, but if the Switch version is missing out on some normal mapping and lighting effects, and is otherwise the same, then it's much better for me to get it for Switch, since I'll be able to play it way more on that platform.

The real question for developers is going to be how difficult it is to port their games to the Switch. For indies, it should be pretty easy, since a lot of them are using engines that support multiple platforms fairly well. For AAA games where they'll have to devote dev resources to finding compromises to get to acceptable performance levels, it's going to come down to how much it costs to get on the Switch vs projected sales (obviously a factor of install base). I'm hoping that a good number find it easy enough and worth it. But really, even if the Switch winds up being mostly a machine for Nintendo properties and indies, that's totally fine. My Steam library overfloweth with indie games I want to play, but don't have time to.

Traditionally, are there any ways to save money on eShop giftcodes? Like a sale around Christmas time at a particular chain or anything?

Best Buy will usually run a deal. $50 cards for $40 or so.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Best Buy will usually run a deal. $50 cards for $40 or so.

Caught the same deals on eBay several times this summer too. They email you your code within a few minutes of buy it now

I got a deal from Gamestop that was a $50 and get $10 free. It was the first time I stepped into a Gamestop in over 7 years.

Thanks guys, I will keep my eye out.

Well time to dust off the ol' Switch! We didn't have a Wii U and my kids are crazy for Pokémon so Pokken Tourney DX was a must buy. Just picked it up tonight at Best Buy and was surprised to see there were quite a few consoles sitting on the shelf.

With this and Skyrim on the way, I think this machine is finally going to get some use!

I usually post in the video game deals thread.

But those eBay ones can sell out in 30 min

Docjoe wrote:

Well time to dust off the ol' Switch! We didn't have a Wii U and my kids are crazy for Pokémon so Pokken Tourney DX was a must buy. Just picked it up tonight at Best Buy and was surprised to see there were quite a few consoles sitting on the shelf.

With this and Skyrim on the way, I think this machine is finally going to get some use!

Pokken Tournament was a solid entry. Unfortunately I cannot afford an immediate purchase of it on Switch, but I definitely plan on snagging it again.

Video: The Game Devil PRO-S Is A Cheap Alternative to the Official Switch Pro Controller

Gold Award-winning Morphite has been submitted again for the Nintendo Switch

Morphite is a space-exploration game along the same vein as No Man's Sky. In it, you'll play as Myrah Kale and join her on a space-wide adventure, exploring planets, battling hostile lifeforms, and discovering the reason behind Myrah's connection with a substance called 'Morphite'.

Earlier today Crescent Moon Tweeted out that they'd not only submitted Morphite for review, but also that Blowfish Studios has added motion controls to the game, and that will be interesting to experience.

Let's hope the game gets the go-ahead this time around, but all we can do is sit and wait to hear the verdict.

The other day, I saw three consoles sitting in Target. I also just got notified that Thinkgeek is now shipping them (but they force you to buy in a bundle with other merch). I've got to hope that by Christmas, it'll finally be easy to get these at MSRP.

(Still don't have one yet, but expect I will within a year.)

beeporama wrote:

The other day, I saw three consoles sitting in Target. I also just got notified that Thinkgeek is now shipping them (but they force you to buy in a bundle with other merch). I've got to hope that by Christmas, it'll finally be easy to get these at MSRP.

(Still don't have one yet, but expect I will within a year.)

I think that current availability has more to do with them continuing full production even over the "down" summer months when console sales are usually low. I believe the uptick that comes in October and November from holiday related purchases would clear the shelves even with the current library as of today. However, once Mario Odyssey marketing starts to rollout past our little hobby bubble and into the mainstream, I think they will become incredibly difficult to find and as Christmas nears will command a premium on the secondary market.

My local Best Buy had 2 sitting on the shelf this afternoon.

After a bit of financial figuring and an online order, one of them is now sitting behind the counter waiting for my wife to pick it up.

We've got Zelda and Mario Kart on the WiiU, but I'm really keen on Odyssey and we didn't want to risk losing our chance in the Christmas rush.

Was able to grab a Switch this past weekend. So glad that this console is finally taking off. Pokken and Splatoon are my games right now, but looking forward to diving knee-deep into these games. I can play on my breaks at work! Super pumped.

My wife came home with the system, a pro controller, and a copy of Mario Kart. I spent a bit of time testing out the different controls.

The default controls feel worse than I expected in my hand, but worked much better than I expected based on that first feel. The new rumble has potential, but when used properly it may be too subtle for people to actually care about. It reminds me of the haptic feedback in the Steam Controller, and that's a good thing. Hopefully they'll copy the way Valve uses their rumble to give physical feedback for motion controls.

Tilt steering worked rather well, especially as a supplement to the stick. I don't think I prefer it to the pro controller, but if I'm playing with the joy on I'll turn it on.

The single joycon controls were better than I expected overall. I found that I didn't even mind the recessed trigger buttons. Even the weird stick placement on the right one isn't so bad, as I'm holding the thing with my fingertips anyway. My bigger complaint is I'd rather the left trigger on that one be over the stick rather than where it is, and that's a minor thing.

This thing needs a good roguelike. Maybe I will double-dip on Binding of Isaac after all.

If you all hadn't heard, Steamworld Dig 2 is really, really good. If you liked the first, I think you will love the sequel. It's not really a roguelike, but it has some of the same look and feel.

Oh well, I'm committed now. Had a conversation with the boy which basically concluded with me saying we'll be getting a Switch come January!

(assuming available, fingers crossed)