Nintendo Switch Catch-All 2.0

How about we change the wording to shift priorities, because "lazy" implies that one cannot be bothered and nothing more. It pretends that time and money are not a factor, or other unseen circumstances we're not privy to. I actually imagine they spent a lot of time trying to "downgrade" the port to run on Switch (which a lot of dev articles out there attest to being more difficult than one would think), and after being unable to see satisfactory results, chose to instead put the cloud versions out as an effort to release the whole series on Switch in time for the twentieth anniversary.

DOOM Eternal may show how far real engineering can get on a Switch in terms of performance and visuals, but not every studio is id, a company with a legacy in pushing the boundaries of what game engines can do. And I would have thought by now that it was common knowledge that porting a game from before 360/PS3 era, especially from Japan, often comes with a crap ton of headaches due to lost source code, hardware specific optimization, or other issues.

So I highly doubt this was the result of a bunch of guys just sitting in a room, sleepy from a cup noodle coma, groaning about how a port would be too much work so let's just create a cloud version of the game (which itself is likely its own set of work to set up in regards to latency and performance, not to mention costs). It was probably a decision they came to – or were potentially approached by Nintendo about – after trying and failing to make a port work.

ccesarano wrote:

So I highly doubt this was the result of a bunch of guys just sitting in a room, sleepy from a cup noodle coma, groaning about how a port would be too much work so let's just create a cloud version of the game (which itself is likely its own set of work to set up in regards to latency and performance, not to mention costs).

I don't know why everyone personalizes this so much. So weird. We're talking about billion dollar corporations. Of course the individual developers aren't lazy nor responsible. The corporations made a decision to do the quick cash in.

These companies aren't your friends. Criticism of the companies is not criticism of individual contributors at the companies.

Your argument is that you're not making a personal moral judgment, so people shouldn't get defensive.

But if you're not making a personal moral judgment, why use a word that is loaded with that connotation?

Corporations will always, all else being equal, maximize revenue while minimizing cost. That's not "lazy," that's good business.

And if good business for them results in an end product that's not to my liking, I won't buy it. That's good business for me.

DSGamer wrote:

These companies aren't your friends. Criticism of the companies is not criticism of individual contributors at the companies.

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with anything? I'm defending the corporations because I disagree with your criticism.

I do think it’s shady for companies to put out “cloud” versions of games on a handheld console. So I stand by there being a rationale for a moral judgement of this practice. Once again, I don’t know why you take it personally.

Djinn wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

These companies aren't your friends. Criticism of the companies is not criticism of individual contributors at the companies.

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with anything? I'm defending the corporations because I disagree with your criticism.

That’s fair enough. I just don’t understand the desire to paint “lazy” as a pejorative when I’m talking about companies, not people.

Yeah if Nintendo sold the switch with an optional 4g/5g data plan that would be one thing. But for a portable console not guaranteed an internet connection, I don't think it should have all these cloud games. I bought a Switch, not a Stadia.

Because it's still inaccurate to the motivation.

I mean, I don't disagree with you that companies are not friends. But I don't assume they're all being run by mustachioed villains tying helpless damsels to train tracks, either. They may not be friends but they're not always thieves.

I also think the question of cloud versions of games warrants its own discussion. The problem is, your argument is not about the ethics of selling a product that is never physically owned (though the EULAs and other rights notifications specify that, even of physical product, you don't own it but license it). It's a declaration of intent about people that you have no insider knowledge regarding the intent of.

In other words, based on what you've written here, Square Enix would be less evil if they ported physical games to own or digital games to download onto your system rather than paying for the right to play a game over the Cloud.

And somehow lazy implies evil.

To put it another way: I go to Church every Sunday and Wednesday. I agree with my pastor on a lot of things. But if there's some semantics that I think he's way off on, I'm still gonna tell him what I think and why. So, even if I'm in agreement with you on some things, I think the argument is fallacious and, based on what you've said here, inaccurate to how you really feel.

But yeah, if you wanna talk about how paying full price for a Cloud version of a game is garbage, I'll be an old man yelling at clouds right beside ya.

That was my point though. Square doesn't want to do this; they've forced to do this. The Switch is underpowered and porting is harder than people realize. There's a reason that the Kingdom Hearts remastered games run natively on PS4, XBOX, and PC, but the Switch is the only system to have these crappy cloud ports and it's not because Square is still angry at Nintendo for going with carts for the N64. It's just not worth the time and money to rebuild these games for the Switch like they did for Dragon Quest XI. That's not evil or lazy; it's just business.

Are there any reports of how Diablo II turned out on Switch? It's my favorite platform for Diablo III, and I liked the controller support in the D2R open beta on PC, but I don't know how playable it'll actually be handheld or while kicked back on the couch.

.

.

DSGamer wrote:

I just don’t understand the desire to paint “lazy” as a pejorative when I’m talking about companies, not people.

Because companies AREN'T people and don't have the capacity for laziness.

Because lazy IS a pejorative. It's not that people are "painting" it that way. It's a connotation inherent to the word.

So either you're anthropomorphizing a corporation, or you're using a pejorative term to unfairly judge individuals.

Either way, it's a poor choice of words, and I don't understand why you're so married to it.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts games just aren't good enough to be worth the effort to properly port?

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/l1l4QpH.jpg)

*Legion* wrote:

Maybe Kingdom Hearts games just aren't good enough to be worth the effort to properly port?

I thought that went without saying. Dude runs around beaning dudes on the head with a giant key. What part of THAT makes sense?

hbi2k wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I just don’t understand the desire to paint “lazy” as a pejorative when I’m talking about companies, not people.

Because companies AREN'T people and don't have the capacity for laziness.

Because lazy IS a pejorative. It's not that people are "painting" it that way. It's a connotation inherent to the word.

So either you're anthropomorphizing a corporation, or you're using a pejorative term to unfairly judge individuals.

Either way, it's a poor choice of words, and I don't understand why you're so married to it.

Hardly the first time it has been used in this context. I think it's easy to understand the usage unless you're just trying to make something out of nothing.

Djinn wrote:

That was my point though. Square doesn't want to do this; they've forced to do this.

See now I gotta call that out because it's not like people are twisting their arms to release Kingdom Hearts on Switch. Whining? Probably, but nothing is forcing them. It's still a choice, and it is a choice that they made, and they could just as easily decide not to sell it or wait until the next Nintendo console to port them all.

We're also forgetting that we're talking about two Japanese companies whose local gaming population feels very differently about Cloud gaming and ownership than we do. So it could be that we foreigners are a secondary or tertiary concern and are getting this because why not.

At the end of the day, though, I dunno how you're all so heated about this. I hope I don't come off as offended or angry because I am not. Everyone just sounds so angry, though.

Man these GBA Castlevania games hold up real well.

Vrikk wrote:

Man these GBA Castlevania games hold up real well.

Yeah GBA games in general are pretty damn good. Played Zero Mission and Fusion back to back the last couple weeks. Wish I could have done it on Switch. They need a classic GBA player more than they needed the N64 one.

hbi2k wrote:

Almost as easy as choosing a less loaded word in the first place.

Or just saying, "I'm sorry, I misspoke" and moving on when called on it instead of getting weirdly defensive about it.

As easy as not blowing up a non issue in the first place? :p

ccesarano wrote:
Djinn wrote:

That was my point though. Square doesn't want to do this; they've forced to do this.

See now I gotta call that out because it's not like people are twisting their arms to release Kingdom Hearts on Switch. Whining? Probably, but nothing is forcing them. It's still a choice, and it is a choice that they made, and they could just as easily decide not to sell it or wait until the next Nintendo console to port them all.

There's a good, short video from Modern Vintage Gamer (a YouTuber known for making videos on emulation, programming, etc.) giving his thoughts on why Square went with the Cloud and what to expect in the near future for the Switch. NintendoLife has an article if you don't want to watch the video. It's quite interesting. I recommend giving it a look.

Video: Why Didn't Square Enix Port The Kingdom Hearts Collection To Switch?

In case anyone is getting a 2nd Switch and wants to put their saves and profile on the new system, Nintendo Life just posted a new how-to article. Easy save transfer, but you have to re-download the games.

Thanks! I am going to have to do that.

Another major characteristic of Nintendo Switch is the Joy-Con controllers. A big part of the user experience comes from the Joy-Con, but were there any improvements?

Yamash*ta: Joy-Con controllers have lots of different features, so we've been continuing to make improvements that may not always be visible. Among others, the analog-stick parts have continuously been improved since launch, and we are still working on improvements.

The analog stick at first release cleared the Nintendo reliability test using the method of rotating the stick while continually applying a load to it, with the same criteria as the Wii U GamePad's analog stick.

As we have always been trying to improve it as well, we have investigated the Joy-Con controllers used by the customers and repeatedly improved the wear resistance and durability.

The parts of the Joy-Con analog sticks are not something that can be bought off the shelf but are specially designed, so we have undergone a lot of considerations to improve them. In addition, we improved the reliability test itself, and we have continued to make changes to improve durability and clear this new test.

When the effects of our improvements were confirmed, we promptly incorporated them into the Joy-Con controllers that are included with the console, Nintendo Switch Lite, and the ones sold individually, that were manufactured at that time. This involves the internal components of the Joy-Con, so you can't tell the improvements from the outside, but we use the new versions of the parts when we repair them. Also, similar continual improvements have been made for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as well.

...

Yamash*ta: The degree of wear depends on factors like the combination of the materials and forms, so we continue to make improvements by researching which combinations are less likely to wear. We mentioned that the Joy-Con controller specifications hadn't changed in the sense that we didn't add new features such as new buttons, but the analog sticks in the Joy-Con controllers included with Nintendo Switch – OLED Model are the latest version with all the improvements. Needless to say, so are the analog sticks included in Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, separately sold Joy-Con controllers, and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that are currently being shipped

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...

So, the parts they put in now are better at not wearing down?

My latest pair of Joycons have been the longest lasting, by quite a margin. So anecdotal evidence says maybe?

Gotta cheaper for Nintendo to redesign and shift production over to the new design than to keep repairing them for free forever.

That's a no-brainer.

Rockstar Officially Announces Grand Theft Auto Trilogy For Switch

A crazy fantasy is finally coming true: we're getting Grand Theft Auto on the Nintendo Switch. It's been over ten years since we last had a GTA on Nintendo consoles, which was Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the DS, and since then the car-stealing, pedestrian-punching simulator has largely been confined to PlayStations and Xboxes.

But as of today, Nintendo is back in the game, as Rockstar announced that they're bringing Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition to the Nintendo Switch, as well as other "current generation platforms" including the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series S and X, as well as an iOS and Android release in 2022.

Ok, so the new OLED screen was totally worth sitting outside GameStop for 2 hrs this morning. Not only did they have only one extra system, they had the white one. IMAGE(https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/240/whatsapp/302/white-heart_1f90d.png)

Traded in my v2 Switch and an old game (Travis Strikes Again) and got $260 + $9 credit, respectively. That plus $20 in rewards meant I paid $85 for the upgrade.

That OLED screen…

IMAGE( https://media.giphy.com/media/QBjhajlGJZw5igxu1O/giphy.gif)

Real, non-cloud ports of PS2 era games?

Huh.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/l1l4QpH.jpg)

To be fair, GTA looks uglier than Kingdom Hearts no matter what system it was made on or for.

They've already released them on every mobile platform, so presumably moving to the Switch is pretty straight-forward.

That said, does anyone want to play these? I'm admittedly biased in the sense that I think Rockstar does a sh*tty job writing their sh*tty characters existing in sh*tty worlds, so it all just comes off as petty and mean, but I can't imagine these games have held up in any way given the ~20 years since they came out.