Nintendo Switch Catch-All 2.0

Preorders now available at target.com

Blind_Evil wrote:

I’d be curious at those prices, but dubious it’ll run really high end games well?

Well, it helps that it will be only targeting 1280x800 @ 60hz.

The GPU performance based on the specs is a notch above the Xbox One S and base model PS4.

Blind_Evil wrote:

I’d be curious at those prices, but dubious it’ll run really high end games well?

Unless Steam are way dumber than I think they are, it'll have Steam Link functionality built-in so you can stream the high-end stuff from your home rig to it.

Jonman wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

I’d be curious at those prices, but dubious it’ll run really high end games well?

Unless Steam are way dumber than I think they are, it'll have Steam Link functionality built-in so you can stream the high-end stuff from your home rig to it.

My home rig is an iPhone. As I mentioned I have not had a gaming PC since 2008 or so, haven’t had a non-work laptop since 2016.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Preorders now available at target.com

sold out. Not surprising 15 minutes after your post but still a bit disappointed.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Jonman wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

I’d be curious at those prices, but dubious it’ll run really high end games well?

Unless Steam are way dumber than I think they are, it'll have Steam Link functionality built-in so you can stream the high-end stuff from your home rig to it.

My home rig is an iPhone. As I mentioned I have not had a gaming PC since 2008 or so, haven’t had a non-work laptop since 2016.

I was about to say "we should make a thread for this" and go make one, but someone already did.

Those Skyward Sword special edition joycon are available at Target.com at the moment. First time since preorders back in like February.

Okay, so I did preorder one through Best Buy. Their "wait in line" thing actually worked for once.

I'll probably cancel it once I get my OG unit hacked and hopefully not bricked.

I was going to preorder one but I forgot, and they're already gone, ha.

I suppose I didn't *need* it.

So in their response to Bloomberg regarding price hikes and profit margins, Nintendo said something that I think is worth noting.

We also want to clarify that we just announced that Nintendo Switch(OLED Model) will launch in October, 2021, and have no plans for launching any other model at this time.

I think the use of the word "model" is very intentional and where people need to really, really start reeling expectations in and remember we're talking about Nintendo. I, like everyone else, started tossing the term Switch Pro around because of leaks and rumors, but the idea of "a Nintendo Switch, but more powerful" needs to die. Let it die. Stop bringing it up.

However, I still believe a new system is being developed, because console manufacturers are pretty much always working on the next piece of hardware. It doesn't begin in earnest after the launch of a new console, of course, but it will always begin with "what couldn't we do last time that we'd like to do now". I imagine both Microsoft and Sony began planning for a system with solid-state drives after releasing the Xbox One and PS4, around which time internal SSDs likely would not have been economically viable.

But, and I said this before, this is Nintendo we're talking about, and every console has itself a new gimmick. I don't think we can take for granted that it's going to be a "more powerful Switch", especially after what happened going from Wii to WiiU. What will that gimmick be? I dunno, but at this point I can only hope they continue using a similar OS and keep the architecture so that they can maintain backwards compatibility. But this is Nintendo. We can't assume "of course they'll keep backwards compatibility! They'd be stupid not to!" Well, for as much as I love Nintendo, they still make mind-boggling decisions because that's just what they do.

I've seen people debating about a Switch Pro in 2023 because of this headline, and I... still don't believe we'll have to wait that long for new Nintendo branded hardware, but whatever it will be, I doubt it will be close enough to the Switch as we know it to count as a new model.

That's my interpretation of the statement, anyway. Companies love to use technicalities in language in order to lie without lying, after all.

I believe Nvidia + DLSS is probably the future for handheld devices. It works like frickin magic and doesn't require a ton of horsepower, just specific hardware cores. (I assume Valve went with AMD because of Vulkan. And money.)

What Nintendo does next, I have absolutely no idea. I kind of hope it's a Switch 2 with more horsepower, but I don't really see Nintendo doing that at this point because I don't really see Nintendo coming out with particularly interesting Switch-specific games. Perhaps that's not fair with a "new" Mario Party and new Wario Ware coming.

Anyway, Switch Pro talk isn't gonna die. Folks are really sold on that.

I don't know what I want out of new Nintendo hardware. I like the Switch, but I still miss handhelds like the 3DS.

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Vargen wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Dedicated?

Vargen wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Mostly small and games that are built for the resolution of a handheld.

I've been playing a lot of GBA and DS games lately and just miss that style of handheld game as well.

garion333 wrote:

I believe Nvidia + DLSS is probably the future for handheld devices. It works like frickin magic and doesn't require a ton of horsepower, just specific hardware cores. (I assume Valve went with AMD because of Vulkan. And money.)

What Nintendo does next, I have absolutely no idea. I kind of hope it's a Switch 2 with more horsepower, but I don't really see Nintendo doing that at this point because I don't really see Nintendo coming out with particularly interesting Switch-specific games. Perhaps that's not fair with a "new" Mario Party and new Wario Ware coming.

Anyway, Switch Pro talk isn't gonna die. Folks are really sold on that.

I assume Valve went with AMD because Nvidia only makes SoCs with ARM CPUs and Valve needs PC game support without painful CPU emulation (so x86/64 instead of ARM). Nintendo doesn’t have this problem because they are only running games compiled for their specific ARM platform. Valve could have gone with Intel but would have had to compromise more on the video side and that’s not worked out well for other PC handhelds so far from what I’ve heard mostly due to Intel drivers.

DSGamer wrote:
Vargen wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Mostly small and games that are built for the resolution of a handheld.

I've been playing a lot of GBA and DS games lately and just miss that style of handheld game as well.

Neeeeever gonna happen. You might get a GBA SP device kind of like the NES and SNES mini. Or get one of these! It has a crank. https://play.date/

I think they’ve seen too much success with supporting one platform to go back to two, and there’s zero incentive to underpower their only machine by 20 years. There are plenty of indie games that cover the same ground as GBA/DS anyway.

I totally thought that the crank was for charging it. What a fun little device.

Blind_Evil wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
Vargen wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Mostly small and games that are built for the resolution of a handheld.

I've been playing a lot of GBA and DS games lately and just miss that style of handheld game as well.

Neeeeever gonna happen. You might get a GBA SP device kind of like the NES and SNES mini. Or get one of these! It has a crank. https://play.date/

I think they’ve seen too much success with supporting one platform to go back to two, and there’s zero incentive to underpower their only machine by 20 years. There are plenty of indie games that cover the same ground as GBA/DS anyway.

I agree. Which is why we’re more likely than not getting a Switch 2.

Totally getting the Playdate.
Been anxiously awating the "July" pre-order notification.

Blind_Evil wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
Vargen wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I wouldn't mind a "Pro" Nintendo console if it meant they also got back in the business of making true handhelds.

What makes a handheld "true?" Do you just want something smaller?

Mostly small and games that are built for the resolution of a handheld.

I've been playing a lot of GBA and DS games lately and just miss that style of handheld game as well.

Neeeeever gonna happen. You might get a GBA SP device kind of like the NES and SNES mini. Or get one of these! It has a crank. https://play.date/

I think they’ve seen too much success with supporting one platform to go back to two, and there’s zero incentive to underpower their only machine by 20 years. There are plenty of indie games that cover the same ground as GBA/DS anyway.

Thanks for the reminder of PlayDate, btw. I was meaning to preorder that and then forgot about it.

I love little bite-sized games, so this is right up my alley.

Sounds like a good upgrade. 60 fps in docked and handheld, talking to folks is optional most of the time and dialogue can be skipped.

Those changes alone sound like the price of admission is warranted.

I would say more control options are good. The Wii motion plus hurt my wrists.

I busted my left Joycon shell. It won't close correctly and one peg for the shell broke off. I've got a new backup set but a part of me doesn't want to break that seal so to speak. Just a little bit mad about it and feel like a child too. Oh well.

I remember Eastward being at one of the Nintendo Directs about a year ago. This game is simply looking incredible. Look at the art style, listen to that music, those sound effects. This could be one of the best indie games coming out in the next year or two.

First 25 mins posted up on IGN.