Nintendo Switch Catch-All 2.0

How do I enter my Switch friend code onto the chart? It seems not to be editable like the Steam/Battle.net Google Sheet.

Yeah.. that thing alone basically weighs as much as the Switch.. I would only carry that on an airplane or something.. for general travel I'd rather just have a more efficient battery in my Switch. I'm tempted to "upgrade" but I'll probably just settle for the Lite Switch.

TheGameguru wrote:

Yeah.. that thing alone basically weighs as much as the Switch.. I would only carry that on an airplane or something.. for general travel I'd rather just have a more efficient battery in my Switch. I'm tempted to "upgrade" but I'll probably just settle for the Lite Switch.

You're not wrong that it's weighty, but if you're putting the switch in a bag/backpack, it's not THAT much more space or weight. I mean, 12.5oz isn't going to throw your back out - it's a can of soup. Unless you're taking your Switch backpacking, it's really not a problem.

But yeah, the killer use-case for that thing is places where plugging in a charger isn't available or is a pain in the ass. Car camping is the primary reason I got it.

I tossed it in my back pocket when wandering around Tokyo last month too, and cabled my phone to it so I could be using the map the entire time and not get lost when my phone battery died.

Anyone getting a new portable battery in 2019 should IMO really look at ones that do USB-C PD.

I own the RavPower 45W Super-C. Anker makes some great ones too.

You can drip-charge a non-running Switch off of pretty much any USB battery, and the really good USB-A batteries can possibly slowly charge a running Switch (or, at least, act as a tethered extra battery), but a high-output USB-C PD supporting battery can charge up a running USB-C charged device in a hurry.

*Legion* wrote:

Anyone getting a new portable battery in 2019 should IMO really look at ones that do USB-C PD.

I own the RavPower 45W Super-C. Anker makes some great ones too.

You can drip-charge a non-running Switch off of pretty much any USB battery, and the really good USB-A batteries can possibly slowly charge a running Switch (or, at least, act as a tethered extra battery), but a high-output USB-C PD supporting battery can charge up a running USB-C charged device in a hurry.

Worth noting that cable quality counts too. Getting a shiny USB-C PD power pack and sticking a cheapo offbrand cable into it will result in slow charging. Look for wide-gauge cables, 22AWG or wider (i.e. a lower number)

Tempest wrote:
FridgeGremlin wrote:

So here's a question about the joy-con drift issue: do any of you know if there are any joystick replacements that are actually BETTER then the ones that come standard? I am looking at replacing at least one stick and was kind of hoping some manufacturer had released a better, more sturdy joy stick so I'm not doing this again 6 months from now.

I don't know if these are better but I got this pair of sticks for $12.

It took me about 30 minutes to remove the old stick, install the new one and put the joycon back together. Finally, no more drifting. It was much easier to do than I thought and it definitely gives me the confidence to just go ahead and get the atomic purple joycon shells and do it myself

I was actually eyeballing the atomic purple joycon shells, myself. Might as well do that and switch the joystick out at the same time I guess. Thanks!

I think I might be in for the Switch Lite. Aside from concerns that the joycons might die and can't be replaced, there are a couple of games I'm enjoying enough that I want something more pocketable (maybe in a slip case instead of a giant padded case) that I could pocket.

DQB2 has hooked me in enough that I think I want something I could pocket more easily to play that game (and others).

Hi, second post for me in this thread. How do I go about getting myself added to the spreadsheet linked to from the first post? Something about a survey? I can’t edit the file. Just got my Switch—first new console purchase since Xbox 360–yesterday.

Note that it is currently only advertised for Australia's EB Games.

All this Switch drifting issue is making me want to fix my own. I thought I could just ignore it but...

JohnKillo wrote:

All this Switch drifting issue is making me want to fix my own. I thought I could just ignore it but...

I bought new joycons. I’m trying to figure out how to get the others fixed or repaired. Nintendo won’t repair them?

DSGamer wrote:
JohnKillo wrote:

All this Switch drifting issue is making me want to fix my own. I thought I could just ignore it but...

I bought new joycons. I’m trying to figure out how to get the others fixed or repaired. Nintendo won’t repair them?

Stuff read mostly from reddit but if you complain enough to Nintendo they will fix it for free. I'm going to fix it myself and do a mint 2DS scheme.

I thought I had a stick drifting issue, but it turned out to be a controller in a bag that had woken up when the bag moved.

So you know those Nyko docks that were screwing up the TV output on Switches? I think it just got mine. I haven’t actually used that dock since the issue came to light, but I have been using the AC adapter. I’ve used Nyko charging and power products for years and never had an issue. Last night I went to unplug the thing and it left one of its prongs in the socket. Today I discover that my Switch won’t output to the TV any more. Yay. And my cousin’s kid was supposed to make me a Mario level today. I mean, I can hand him the Switch, but I want to watch.

Anybody have a USB-C HDMI adapter they'd recommend? I was thinking about something like this, but I've that some adapters can brick your Switch (!!!)>

I bought this about a year ago and it's worked perfectly.

Vargen wrote:

So you know those Nyko docks that were screwing up the TV output on Switches? I think it just got mine.

It turns out that when my Dad says "there's a power strip here you can plug into" that doesn't necessarily mean that said power strip is plugged in or turned on.

It figures, I finally decide I want to pick up one of those Hori d-pad joycons, and they're out of stock everywhere near me. Dammit, I've got a week in a hotel room and a cross-country flight back home this week!

So, not sure if you are all aware that JoyCon drift is a real thing and there's been a big stink about it lately (including a class action lawsuit). Well, Nintendo has heard and has decided that they'll fix the issue for free, whether in or out of warranty.

I am glad they are doing that. It is better than the class action suit I saw mentioned in articles I've the past weeks. The class action suit doesn't help those of us who don't have our original receipt - threw it away, got them as a gift, etc.
Actually fixing the issue will work for everyone which is far better.

Still no word whether they’ll correct the graphite design flaw, which is especially a concern for Lite Switches.

garion333 wrote:

So, not sure if you are all aware that JoyCon drift is a real thing and there's been a big stink about it lately (including a class action lawsuit). Well, Nintendo has heard and has decided that they'll fix the issue for free, whether in or out of warranty.

I'm happy to read this because I think my left Joycon just started drifting.

Keithustus wrote:

Still no word whether they’ll correct the graphite design flaw, which is especially a concern for Lite Switches.

That's because then they'd have to admit fault, which they've yet to do, exactly.

TL;DR Had my first instance of joycon drift.

So, my original right joycon gave me trouble from about the third month of my switch. Not drift, but handheld it would disconnect and I’d have to pop it off and on to reconnect. It didn’t even occur to me to try to get it fixed until after the warranty was done. I think it happened because once I took the wrist strap off while it was still locked (didn’t understand the locking) and once put the wrist strap on backward. The Satisfye grip eventually cut the issue way down for me but it still happened. I bought some colored joycons for multiplayer but didn’t want them handheld so I kept using the less than ideal grey.

Recently I finally got fed up and bought replacement grey (so I now have 6 joycons, sheesh!). They’re working great handheld and I opted my old grey to be for the kids. Then today, I noticed some drift while my daughter played Pokémon. Thankfully on my old joycons and the left, naturally, but I confirmed drift on the calibration screen both before and after calibration. Interestingly, it seems more pronounced with the wrist strap on than off. Not sure why that would matter for drift, but w/e. Strange thing is I didn't ever see drift handheld before.

I’m going to see if Nintendo is legit going to fix drift for free. It feels a bit odd to ask for a free repair for a two year old controller but I’m also like $150 into replacement/additional joycons so I don’t feel all that bad about it.

Pre-ordered the Lite so that I can get in mobile gaming around the house. The XBO is on the main TV so I'm often without a way to play stuff. Plus I want to try some Nintendo things I never got around to on my WiiU. Recommendations? Generally I play:
- FPS
- Racing
- ARPG
- Fighters
- willing to try JRPGs

I don’t know that there are any racing games. For ARPGs there’s obviously Breath of the Wild and Ys. For FPS the last two Wolfenstein games are on Switch.

DSGamer wrote:

I don’t know that there are any racing games. For ARPGs there’s obviously Breath of the Wild and Ys. For FPS the last two Wolfenstein games are on Switch.

I mean there's Mario Kart. But otherwise, not really.

If you haven't tried Splatoon, then you need to get Splatoon 2.

ARMs is a decently unique fighter.

lunchbox12682 wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I don’t know that there are any racing games. For ARPGs there’s obviously Breath of the Wild and Ys. For FPS the last two Wolfenstein games are on Switch.

I mean there's Mario Kart. But otherwise, not really.

Not true - there's plenty of racing games on Switch. To be fair, many are crap, but there's some wheat among the chaff...

FastRMX is a reasonable Wipeout-a-like.
Road Redemption is a spiritual successor to Road Rash.
Team Sonic Racing is a decent alternative to Mario Kart.
GRIP: Combat Racing is a spiritual successor to Rollcage.

I thought Fast RMX was a F-Zero like myself. Either way it's good.

I also got Void Space Racing for maybe $2 on sale. It's open space racing through gates with a bit of Newtonian flight model, some drift. Pretty fun for a bit too.