Instant Pot Pressure Cook-all

We have that one as well and we love it. It was also used on Iron Chef Gauntlet the other day and now I feel it's been given the official seal of approval.

KrazyTaco[FO] wrote:

This is the rice cooker we use: Zojirushi Rice Cooker. We go through 50 lb bags of rice like it's going out of style though. We had a cheap single toggle rice cooker for a while and it almost caught on fire, so we decided to not do that again.

Trigger pulled. Man, I will likely catch hell for this at home. The rationale is that my wife asked if we have a rice cooker. I told her the Instant Pot is not really a rice cooker. She has been making quinoa like it is going out of style.

Hopefully the quality of the product will convince her, and if she likes oatmeal i def recommend giving that a try too.

I'm currently using a cheap rice cooker that does an ok job, but I really want one of these, and that's a good sale price ...

bhchrist wrote:
KrazyTaco[FO] wrote:

This is the rice cooker we use: Zojirushi Rice Cooker. We go through 50 lb bags of rice like it's going out of style though. We had a cheap single toggle rice cooker for a while and it almost caught on fire, so we decided to not do that again.

Trigger pulled. Man, I will likely catch hell for this at home. The rationale is that my wife asked if we have a rice cooker. I told her the Instant Pot is not really a rice cooker. She has been making quinoa like it is going out of style.

The InstantPot still makes some pretty darn good rice. Though I understand if you’d want even better.

Delbin wrote:
bhchrist wrote:
KrazyTaco[FO] wrote:

This is the rice cooker we use: Zojirushi Rice Cooker. We go through 50 lb bags of rice like it's going out of style though. We had a cheap single toggle rice cooker for a while and it almost caught on fire, so we decided to not do that again.

Trigger pulled. Man, I will likely catch hell for this at home. The rationale is that my wife asked if we have a rice cooker. I told her the Instant Pot is not really a rice cooker. She has been making quinoa like it is going out of style.

The InstantPot still makes some pretty darn good rice. Though I understand if you’d want even better.

My wife is Japanese and she scoffs at me like a gaijin heathen when I suggest cooking our rice in the Instant Pot instead of our Zojirushi deluxe rice cooker. I'll have to try it sometime when she's out of town, and never tell her.

Godzilla Blitz wrote:
Delbin wrote:
bhchrist wrote:
KrazyTaco[FO] wrote:

This is the rice cooker we use: Zojirushi Rice Cooker. We go through 50 lb bags of rice like it's going out of style though. We had a cheap single toggle rice cooker for a while and it almost caught on fire, so we decided to not do that again.

Trigger pulled. Man, I will likely catch hell for this at home. The rationale is that my wife asked if we have a rice cooker. I told her the Instant Pot is not really a rice cooker. She has been making quinoa like it is going out of style.

The InstantPot still makes some pretty darn good rice. Though I understand if you’d want even better.

My wife is Japanese and she scoffs at me like a gaijin heathen when I suggest cooking our rice in the Instant Pot instead of our Zojirushi deluxe rice cooker. I'll have to try it sometime when she's out of town, and never tell her.

Care to risk her wrath and give us a side-by-side comparison?

Godzilla Blitz wrote:

My wife is Japanese and she scoffs at me like a gaijin heathen when I suggest cooking our rice in the Instant Pot instead of our Zojirushi deluxe rice cooker. I'll have to try it sometime when she's out of town, and never tell her.


This week I went with the Aroma Professional Plus ARC-5000SB 20-Cup cooker from Costco, $29.99 as an even cheaper and more blasphemous alternative. I figured if it doesn't get the job done I'll return it and get an InstantPot. So far I've only made a few batches of brown rice and some chicken w/ steamed vegetables. Kid tested, single dad approved.

Delbin wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:
Delbin wrote:
bhchrist wrote:
KrazyTaco[FO] wrote:

This is the rice cooker we use: Zojirushi Rice Cooker. We go through 50 lb bags of rice like it's going out of style though. We had a cheap single toggle rice cooker for a while and it almost caught on fire, so we decided to not do that again.

Trigger pulled. Man, I will likely catch hell for this at home. The rationale is that my wife asked if we have a rice cooker. I told her the Instant Pot is not really a rice cooker. She has been making quinoa like it is going out of style.

The InstantPot still makes some pretty darn good rice. Though I understand if you’d want even better.

My wife is Japanese and she scoffs at me like a gaijin heathen when I suggest cooking our rice in the Instant Pot instead of our Zojirushi deluxe rice cooker. I'll have to try it sometime when she's out of town, and never tell her.

Care to risk her wrath and give us a side-by-side comparison?

Humm. Come to think of it, she's heading out of state next weekend with our daughter for a soccer tournament. *evil smile*

Think of all the sleepless nights you'll have, tossing and turning, wracked with shame and guilt.

I cook all of our rice in the Instant Pot. What am I missing?

DSGamer wrote:

I cook all of our rice in the Instant Pot. What am I missing?

For me, mostly the convenience of letting the rice sit for upwards of 48 hours while still having access to the instant pot for other things. Also the set it and forget it nature of a rice cooker, where you make some in the morning (or evening or whenever) and it's just available whenever you need rice.

If you only make rice once or twice a month it probably isn't worth it. If you're like me and make rice at least every other day, I consider it a necessity.

DSGamer wrote:

I cook all of our rice in the Instant Pot. What am I missing?

The Japanese rice cookers excel at making a particular sort of sticky but not too sticky short grain sushi-type white rice that is the ideal thing to eat with Chinese, Japanese, and other east asian food. I've never used a device that did it better. I haven't tried to do this with an Instant Pot but the key thing that the Zojirushi controls is the moisture content in the cooker while the rice cooks. It's not completely sealed the way the Instant Pot is ... and my experience with moisture control with the IP makes me feel like it might not do this particular thing right. So I have not messed with it much since we've had a Zoji rice cooker for a decade or more anyway.

OTOH if you have a well tuned scheme for this there is no reason to get another gadget.

If you only make rice once or twice a month it probably isn't worth it. If you're like me and make rice at least every other day, I consider it a necessity.

That too.

But keep in mind you still have to wash the rice.

The number of people I've had to tell that to well into their twenties is absurd.

The ultimate test would be for you to substitute instant pot for the Zojirushi rice and see if she notices.....................

Oh this could be gold.

groan wrote:

The ultimate test would be for you to substitute instant pot for the Zojirushi rice and see if she notices.....................

In a moment of extreme marital recklessness, I asked my wife if she'd do a blind test of both Instant Pot rice and regular rice cooker rice. She's extremely confident that she could easily tell the difference.

To be honest, I'd bet it'd be pretty easy too, until you got the water content and rice amounts right in the Instant Pot. I think I'd need a few test runs with the Instant Pot first.

I'm not quite at the Challenge Accepted level yet, but it's getting closer.

Oh, and I made French Onion Dip Sandwiches tonight in the Instant Pot. Yum!

I picked up these Egg Cup Molds recently, and made some over the weekend. I really liked how they came out, and have been fighting the kids over them, but the wife isn't totally convinced with the texture. I think she as expecting them to come out dense like some of the other egg cups we've made in muffin tins in the oven, these came out almost like a souffle after the pressure cooker was done with them

I mixed the eggs up in the Blendtec tossing in an entire onion, green pepper, ham, and a bunch of cheese and cream cheese. The Blendtec pulverized everything so much that the kids had no idea the vegetables were in there, (especially the one who finds microscopic bits of vegetables and refuses food), and the ham basically got lost, and it whipped so much air into it which probably contributed greatly to the texture.

Definitely will be making more

Skraut wrote:

I picked up these Egg Cup Molds recently, and made some over the weekend. I really liked how they came out, and have been fighting the kids over them, but the wife isn't totally convinced with the texture. I think she as expecting them to come out dense like some of the other egg cups we've made in muffin tins in the oven, these came out almost like a souffle after the pressure cooker was done with them

I mixed the eggs up in the Blendtec tossing in an entire onion, green pepper, ham, and a bunch of cheese and cream cheese. The Blendtec pulverized everything so much that the kids had no idea the vegetables were in there, (especially the one who finds microscopic bits of vegetables and refuses food), and the ham basically got lost, and it whipped so much air into it which probably contributed greatly to the texture.

Definitely will be making more

I do something similar in my Sous Vide. They're knock offs from Starbucks, and you make them in little Bell jars.

Haven't tried similar in my pressure cooker.

Garg! I totally forgot to mention the awesome ending to the Instant Pot vs Japanese Rice Cooker battle!

So, before I got around to doing a blind taste test with Japanese rice cooked in an instant pot vs. Japanese rice cooked in a Japanese rice cooker, our family took a trip to the East Coast to visit relatives and friends. While we were staying with my sister's family, my wife decided that we should cook a Japanese meal for them. Everything was all planned out, but then we realized that my sister didn't have a Japanese rice cooker. Big problem! However, a couple of months earlier, she had gotten an Instant Pot, after some conversations I'd had with her about how awesome the thing is.

My wife really didn't have any other options, so I was put in charge of preparing Japanese rice using the Instant Pot for about ten people. I knew I had to get the initial water amount right, as the Instant Pot, unlike a rice cooker, is a sealed environment. So I Googled a bit on how to cook Japanese sticky rice in an Instant Pot, fired the thing up, and let it do its thing.

The end result completely passed my wife's review. The rice was perfect, as good as anything we've had from our Japanese rice cooker. For an even better twist on the story, we got about halfway through the meal and realized we were going to run out of rice, so we needed to make a second batch. With a traditional rice cooker, this would be 45 minutes to an hour, start to finish. But with the Instant Pot, we had the rice ready in a fraction of the time.

So score a big win for the Instant Pot!

We still use our Japanese rice cooker at home all the time for preparing rice, as it has other features that make it better for all purpose day-to-day use, but it's nice to have the Instant Pot as a backup or for those times when we need Japanese rice very quickly.

Thanks for the write-up! The Instant Pot is my first 'rice cooker'. I've always done rice on the stove previously, so I've wondered how it compares with a dedicated one.

At least a couple times a week I make curry or stir fry dishes which need rice (our usual is jasmine). We like ours sticky so I don't tend to rinse it. Just throw rice and water in, press 'Rice', and 15 minutes later there's great rice in the pot. For rice that isn't rinsed I go with 1:1.25 rice/water. I've read that rinsed is easier, with a 1:1 ratio (for example: if you're using 3 cups of rice before rinsing, add 3 cups of water to the pot - then add the rinsed rice to that).

My wife would make me sleep on the lawn if I didn't rinse our rice before cooking. I'm not crazy enough to push her on that one.

But yeah, if we weren't cooking rice several times each week, I'd be fine with just having an Instant Pot to do so.

I *think* I may have used a 1:1.25 rice-to-water ratio, 10 minutes, slow release. I don't remember exactly though. Rice rinsed because I like being married.

Most of my adult-life kitchen disasters are somehow related to trying to cook rice on the stove, having grown up with rice cookers.

My theory is that no grown person of East-Asian descent can be trusted to cook rice on the stove.

I have passed certain passed this down to the next generation.

:sheepishly raises hand:

What's the significance of rinsing rice?

Gets the rice dust / starchy powder off, which makes it less sticky/mushy. It's mainly for white rice, but helps brown rice too.

Two recipes I go back to time and time again.

Instant Pot Kalua Pig. Yup, you are reading the recipe right. Salt, Pork Shoulder, 3 slices of bacon, cabbage, water and garlic. It tastes amazing when it's done and even better the next day.

20-Minute Instant Pot Burrito Bowl. The recipe tells you to throw in the rice on top and not to stir. No clue why, because in my first attempt that created a small section of rice left dry. I stir it up completely and add a little extra broth and it turns out perfect. The simple prep, the 10 minute cooking time and the fast venting at the end means this is one of those few recipes that doesn't turn the "instant" part into a longer ordeal than you think.

kuddles wrote:

The recipe tells you to throw in the rice on top and not to stir. No clue why, because in my first attempt that created a small section of rice left dry.

Based on my attempt tonight, I suspect it's to avoid the rice burning to the bottom of the pot during pressurization. I got the dreaded "burn" message on warmup, and when I investigated, found a lot of the rice grains stuck to the bottom of the pot. I saved it by just turning it to Saute and scraping the bottom, but it took a half hour to cook through.

Stengah wrote:

Gets the rice dust / starchy powder off, which makes it less sticky/mushy. It's mainly for white rice, but helps brown rice too.

This.

Anecdote time: the white basmati rice I buy in bulk from Costco needs several rinsings until the water runs clean. The brown short grain rice I buy in bulk also from Costco barely needs rinsing at all.

kuddles wrote:

Two recipes I go back to time and time again.

Instant Pot Kalua Pig. Yup, you are reading the recipe right. Salt, Pork Shoulder, 3 slices of bacon, cabbage, water and garlic. It tastes amazing when it's done and even better the next day.

20-Minute Instant Pot Burrito Bowl. The recipe tells you to throw in the rice on top and not to stir. No clue why, because in my first attempt that created a small section of rice left dry. I stir it up completely and add a little extra broth and it turns out perfect. The simple prep, the 10 minute cooking time and the fast venting at the end means this is one of those few recipes that doesn't turn the "instant" part into a longer ordeal than you think.

I made this same recipe and same thing happened to me. Had burn notice as soon as the pot got pressurized