2017/18 Soccer Thread

I think it's sounding more unlikely. According to Sky, he's asked for control over squad transfers in and out, whereas Arsenal have spent time and effort in the last year creating a 4 person structure to do that. I think this was meant to get them away from the 'one man controls everything' model which has seen Arsenal's transfer dealings in the last 5 years or so be more and more underwhelming.

Unai Emery has been in London today - I can see him getting it, he's worked with a Director of Football in both Spain and France. It'll depend what sort of transfer budget he asks for (hint - if it's under £100m, Arsenal won't be in the CL in 2019/20 unless they win the Europa League). The figures being banded about at present are that the transfer budget will be £50m. That won't go very far unless there are some departures, and only Ozil, Ramsey or Lacazette would realistically generate significant funds (on the basis that there's no way they'll get rid of Aubameyang).

I'd go for Emery over Arteta, but I like the idea of Arteta over an old hand like Ancelotti. With Arteta maybe you hit the jackpot and he turns out to be a great manager but if not it was going to be a difficult job for anybody and he was your sacrificial lamb. It's not like Arsenal are going to get relegated. And unless they're putting a tonne of money into the squad this summer they're unlikely to qualify for the Champions League directly. In a situation like that you go for upside.

Pellegrini set to become West Ham manager. 3 year contract, £10M/year

Edit: and it looks like Arsenal may have decided on Emery. Good shout Dave.

I'm surprised Emery wants to take on a club like Arsenal, where they've had Wenger for 22 years. It's not quite a Fergie strawman job (he'd just won the title), but a slow start will have the Highbury 'faithful' (stop sn*ggering at the back) on his case. He'll also find that the squad is somewhat less resourced than PSGs, although at least he won't have to deal with poncing divas like Neymar and Cavani.

Safer bet than Arteta though. I am surprised at the reports of what Arteta was asking for (final transfer vetoes) given that he must know they've brought these staff in. And it's not like he had a great deal of leverage.

I'm sure Arsenal fans will be perfectly satisfied with an FA Cup win and 5th in the league.

Really ? I don't think that's how they see themselves. And if you get into a cycle of Europa Leagues and occasional cups, that's not going to attract the best players unless you rip up the wage structure and start paying megabucks...and I can't see Kroenke signing off on that when football is very low on his list of priorities.

I think Arteta at this stage might be seen as a little too much of a continuation of the Arsene way, coupled with a perception that he'd be cheaper than the others and wouldn't have the power to demand much.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and forgot subtext doesn't show up in text. I think a Cup win and maybe sneaking into 4th one year if a lot of things go right for them and wrong for their rivals their ceiling for at least the next two seasons.

Their floor, unless something catastrophically happens, is 6th and no silverware. With the ceiling and floor of this squad so close they should be rebuilding the squad with under-25 players like Liverpool did when they made Brendan Rodgers their coach with the likes of Coutinho and Firimno. Jean Michael Seri is by all accounts a fantastic player, but unless they're spending £250-300m in the next to years he's not going to help much with Arsenal getting back to where their fans want them to be.

Sorbicol wrote:
davet010 wrote:

Indeed. Sky Sports is replete this morning with reports of how Jack Wilshere thinks he should be on the plane to Russia, and that they could really have used him.

I'm sure the Russian FA is sorted for ball persons, Jack.

Joe Hart is also totally blaming Moyes by all accounts too, ignoring the fact he’s been crap for the last couple of years.

The silly season is apparently linking Hart with a ludicrous move to NYC FC.

Roke wrote:

I'm sure Arsenal fans will be perfectly satisfied with an FA Cup win and 5th in the league.

If Emery will take us I'll have him in a heart beat.

Kinda forgot he would be available and assumed he might take a break for a season.

I'll take 5th in the league and the Europa cup tho. Considering he won it 3 years in a row and Arsenal already got to the semis this year it's not unfathomable.

Edit: as for Arteta I think there's something being lost in translation. There's no way managers going forward should be expecting levels of control of yesteryear.

It's actually somewhat crazy to think football hasn't progressed quicker in this manner. I'm not sure what the exact hierarchy should be but the days of managers being sole controllers is antiquated. One day we will look at it like player coaches and think it was quaint.

I think a top 4 finish would be an exceptional performance evaluation for Emery next year. Not sure it's realistic. He has quite the task ahead of him to reform our tactics and rebuild the club. Anyone know his tactical history at PSG and Sevilla? I'm hoping to see two strikers up top and maybe a little less of a overload the wings with crappy crosses from Bellerin or cut back passes and keep away 35 yards out until we turn it over.

jowner wrote:

It's actually somewhat crazy to think football hasn't progressed quicker in this manner. I'm not sure what the exact hierarchy should be but the days of managers being sole controllers is antiquated. One day we will look at it like player coaches and think it was quaint.

I remember when I first learned about player-coaches, in the context of pro basketball in the US, and all I could think was "Surely not. Is this a joke? They did what?"

bigred wrote:

Anyone know his tactical history at PSG and Sevilla?

Ooh, this gives me a chance to plug one of my new favorite YouTube channels that does GREAT tactical analysis.

Prederick wrote:
bigred wrote:

Anyone know his tactical history at PSG and Sevilla?

Ooh, this gives me a chance to plug one of my new favorite YouTube channels that does GREAT tactical analysis.

Wow, that's my new favorite YouTube channel. Awesome stuff.

Fonesca has signed a new contract with Shakhtar Donetsk.

Other moves: Emery to Arsenal, Pellegrini to West Ham, Ancelotti rumored to be a candidate for Chelsea (or Napoli, if Sarri takes the Chelsea job instead).

*tears up my earlier list*

I know Pellegrini struggled in China, but I am kind of baffled that anyone would want the West Ham job at the moment. Hope he at least is getting a lucrative contract for his trouble.

Prederick wrote:
bigred wrote:

Anyone know his tactical history at PSG and Sevilla?

Ooh, this gives me a chance to plug one of my new favorite YouTube channels that does GREAT tactical analysis.

Oh wow, that's fantastic. There's none of the jargon that makes the Spielverlagerung website incomprehensible to me.

TY, Prederick for that video. Super helpful.

It looks like Emery's tactics are similar enough to Arsenal's current tactics for a smoother transition than some of the other candidates. There are some slight differences such as a more flat 3 midfield with one dropped cdm. This is different than Wenger's two dropped with one attacking CAM. I could see Ramsey benefiting from the change but wonder where Ozil will fit in. Perhaps he will be pushed to the wing which Wenger has experimented with Ozil in the past to varied success. Keep in mind he had Giroud, Welbeck, and other subpar strikers/wingers to work with from the wing. It was successful when it was the Sanchez to Ozil to Sanchez show.

I think Arsenal's summer hw includes solidifying our back 4 with an emphasis on our CBs, getting a true CDM (might as well right that on the white board with permanent marker), and possibly securing a winger who can play up to Auba and Laca's talent. I don't see Welbeck or Iwobi playing a huge part in a successful Arsenal squad.

The other question mark is what Emery will do with Bellerin and Monreal. One is a young talent who hasn't come close to his expected potential and the other an aging wingback who has outperformed his expectation but won't continue to do so much longer.

Ideally, we can then loan out Maitland-Niles, Nkeitah, Nelson, and a few other Wenger-youths that don't belong on a 1st squad for a top 4 competing team but have potential to eventually be a starter.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

I know Pellegrini struggled in China, but I am kind of baffled that anyone would want the West Ham job at the moment. Hope he at least is getting a lucrative contract for his trouble.

He's on £7m per annum apparently.

Nice work if you can get it, but consider this - he was on £16m at his Chinese club.

Hopefully his contract includes a clause whereby the porn barons and Brady have their mouths superglued shut. Because it's gonna be a long season if they are allowed to shout their mouths off. Or don't give him significant funds.

Meanwhile, Everton are reportedly getting close to signing Marco Silva. Just one question. Why him ?

Dimmerswitch wrote:

F
I know Pellegrini struggled in China, but I am kind of baffled that anyone would want the West Ham job at the moment. Hope he at least is getting a lucrative contract for his trouble.

You kind of answered your own question there!

Not really, if he's taken a £9m pay cut.

I'm surprised someone like Everton didn't have a look at him.

In other Hammers related news, 'Fingers' Redknapp was on the radio this afternoon, bemoaning the fact that he didn't take enough bung.....err, that West Ham had appointed Manuel rather than giving 'a young English manager' a chance.

A fair (ish) point, which he then proceeded to utterly destroy by saying that the job should have gone to...Stuart Pierce.

Some pointers, 'Fingers'.

- Pearce is not young.
- He's absolutely sh*te.
- His man management skills are non-existent.
- He once decided that his effectiveness would be enhanced by having a little stuffed toy horse in the technical area. For more than one game. Bets were taken on which had the better tactical nous...let's put it this way, results didn't improve when he got rid of the horse.

bigred wrote:

TY, Prederick for that video. Super helpful.

It looks like Emery's tactics are similar enough to Arsenal's current tactics for a smoother transition than some of the other candidates. There are some slight differences such as a more flat 3 midfield with one dropped cdm. This is different than Wenger's two dropped with one attacking CAM. I could see Ramsey benefiting from the change but wonder where Ozil will fit in. Perhaps he will be pushed to the wing which Wenger has experimented with Ozil in the past to varied success. Keep in mind he had Giroud, Welbeck, and other subpar strikers/wingers to work with from the wing. It was successful when it was the Sanchez to Ozil to Sanchez show.

I think Arsenal's summer hw includes solidifying our back 4 with an emphasis on our CBs, getting a true CDM (might as well right that on the white board with permanent marker), and possibly securing a winger who can play up to Auba and Laca's talent. I don't see Welbeck or Iwobi playing a huge part in a successful Arsenal squad.

The other question mark is what Emery will do with Bellerin and Monreal. One is a young talent who hasn't come close to his expected potential and the other an aging wingback who has outperformed his expectation but won't continue to do so much longer.

Ideally, we can then loan out Maitland-Niles, Nkeitah, Nelson, and a few other Wenger-youths that don't belong on a 1st squad for a top 4 competing team but have potential to eventually be a starter.

I think there will be some squad turnover which means extra funds. Who where and how much I don't know. Who I rate that didn't feature because of Monreal was Kolasinac. I honestly didn't see enough that hes probably a defensive liability. I wouldn't be shocked if Ozil or Bellerin go because some club have money to spend and don't know how to spend it. If Sven has cheaper younger targets lined up and PSG/Barca/China decide they want to spend 50m+ for either then they are probably off so 1.5 players can come back in.

I'm 0% worried tbh if the Emery deal becomes official.

Worst case Arsenal finish 6th? and everyone gets another year to put their fingers (non Wenger) on molding the club to what needs to get done.

Best case 4th (stretch) 5th and we win a domestic cup or even the Europa league. The latter I think is way more dependent on the draws and how the season plays out. I think a Manager who not only won it but 3 times in a row can pull that off. Just would need some help that not some powerhouse gets dropped from the CL to Europa league etc.

I'm also not really worried about Mr.Kroenke. Hes not a good owner but I don't think hes a stupid one. His goal is to grow the valuation of Arsenal and in turn his Net Worth. This isn't the NFL where he can just take a large crap and move the team. If he wants bigger commercial deals and people in the stands the team needs to be competitive. Will he dip into his own pockets? no. Will he hire football people and let them do what they think is best on a budget? yes. Thats a selling point compared to other setups where either the owners want to throw in their 2 cents or the managers still want to run everything top down. Also when I say budget thats the curious question. What % of revenue will be spent and how much of the cash reserves will they dip into. Being out the CL obviously hurts but its not like Arsenal are broken because of it.

Emery is official.

All things considered they probably actually got the best manager that was available. Curious what the terms are as coming from PSG he was probably already on good money.

Also sleeve sponsor with visit Rwanda. Arsenal have been historically terrible at commercial deals compared to other teams so I wonder what that is actually worth. Probably just catches them up a tad vs the other top Prem clubs while putting a gap between them and the rest of Europe.

Just under 20 days to the world cup. 2 signings before then please.

I'm not particularly worried. New talent recruiter in the fall and now a new manager. Things are finally changing! Change might not always have good results at first but at least we're out of the classic Wenger loop of the last 10 years.

Anyone else excited for tomorrow's games?

Fulham vs. Ashton Villa in the playoff final, then Liverpool vs. Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

Godzilla Blitz wrote:

Anyone else excited for tomorrow's games?

Fulham vs. Ashton Villa in the playoff final, then Liverpool vs. Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

Absolutely! I'm going to the Liverpool supporters watch party here in Houston - a coworker is part of the group and invited me. I'm going to try and tune in to the playoff as well.

Yeah, they should both be good ones. I'm hoping Fullham win promotion and Liverpool win the Champions League tomorrow.

Godzilla Blitz wrote:

Anyone else excited for tomorrow's games?

"Excited" is not the phrase I would use.

"Filled with equal parts hope and dread" is more accurate.

Roke wrote:

Yeah, they should both be good ones. I'm hoping Fullham win promotion and Liverpool win the Champions League tomorrow.

Me too. Me too.

Prederick wrote:

"Filled with equal parts hope and dread" is more accurate.

Engraved on every fan's heart. Only the proportions vary.

Good luck Fulham.

Hala Madrid !!

I can't believe Southampton gave Mark Hughes the job and a 3-year contract. What an abysmal decision.

Roke wrote:

I can't believe Southampton gave Mark Hughes the job and a 3-year contract. What an abysmal decision.

Ah to be an average white English manager in the English leagues.