[Discussion] Discussions & Debates Videos

videos with subject matter more suited to d&d than everything else. to be discussed and / or debated, with offshot threads if discussion on a particular video or subject warrants it.

TL:DW

Yes.

I am watching again because that is not the impression I got but I was listening with half an ear.

2:17 - the evidence for weakening protection is less that convincing. Most of the studies have point to very minimal change, if any....

5:19 - it is not the same decision as the initial vaccination. for many the still is in flux and resources may be better spend elsewhere.

His point is that resources used to create boosters should probably be reallocated to under-vaccinated countries at this point. J&J booster is recommended. Everything else - not so much.

He has a point, but as it is, this country is setting up for boosters and that's not changing, sooo.... I got mine.

farley3k wrote:

I am watching again because that is not the impression I got but I was listening with half an ear.

2:17 - the evidence for weakening protection is less that convincing. Most of the studies have point to very minimal change, if any....

5:19 - it is not the same decision as the initial vaccination. for many the still is in flux and resources may be better spend elsewhere.

Idk. Should I trust the recommendation of the 18 doctors specializing in infectious diseases on the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee and the 15 doctors also specializing in infectious diseases on the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices or should I trust a pediatrician with a YouTube channel? It's a tough call.

I'll give you the tldr on this:

Spoiler:

Rich people suck.

This video is infuriating on one specific level.

Spoiler:

The conservative wing of one side isn’t living up to its values.

The other side’s values are trash.

These are both the same, right?

We keep telling people the Democratic elite are too conservative.

It's the NYT, what do you expect?

Also, everyone knows that red states bus homeless people to blue states, right? So this is a little more complex than this video makes it out to be.

How We Fix the Climate

OG_slinger wrote:
farley3k wrote:

I am watching again because that is not the impression I got but I was listening with half an ear.

2:17 - the evidence for weakening protection is less that convincing. Most of the studies have point to very minimal change, if any....

5:19 - it is not the same decision as the initial vaccination. for many the still is in flux and resources may be better spend elsewhere.

Idk. Should I trust the recommendation of the 18 doctors specializing in infectious diseases on the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee and the 15 doctors also specializing in infectious diseases on the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices or should I trust a pediatrician with a YouTube channel? It's a tough call.

He doesn't tell people not to get the booster as far as I noticed; he just provides more information and context for the decision, and he does so pretty quickly and efficiently. Your snark seems to indicate that you don't like his credentials, but it's worth noting that he's saying basically the same thing as the WHO, so the view he presents is also backed up by a big panel of experts.

WHO, with support of the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on Immunization and its COVID-19 Vaccines Working Group wrote:

Introducing booster doses should be firmly evidence-driven and targeted to the population groups in greatest need. The rationale for implementing booster doses should be guided by evidence on waning vaccine effectiveness, in particular a decline in protection against severe disease in the general population and in high-risk populations, or due to a circulating VoC. To date, the evidence remains limited and still inconclusive on any widespread need for booster doses following a primary vaccination series.

In the context of ongoing global vaccine supply constraints, broad-based administration of booster doses risks exacerbating inequities in vaccine access by driving up demand and diverting supply while priority populations in some countries, or in subnational settings, have not yet received a primary vaccination series. The focus remains on urgently increasing global vaccination coverage with the primary series driven by the objective to protect against severe disease.

There are probably good reasons for differences in the recommendations of the WHO and CDC/FDA. I am certain that they are both making recommendations in good faith, and I suspect that a big part of the difference is that the CDC/FDA are less inclined to take a global view of the situation, and more inclined to prioritize a marginal benefit to the USA than a large benefit to people elsewhere.

There is important nuance in this issue, and it shouldn't be dismissed because he is just a pediatrician with a YouTube channel. Granted, he's not an immunologist, virologist, or epidemiologist, but that doesn't mean he's giving bad information. What he's saying is supported by people with those specialties who don't happen to have YouTube channels.

An Anti-viral Pill to Treat Covid?

Psaki DESTROYS Kevin McCarthy's Empty 8-Hour Floor Speech "He Said A Lot Of Words"
*I like her, wow.

Another good one, they're all good ones really.

Covid Natural Immunity vs Vaccine Immunity

Unbreaking America: Solving the Corruption Crisis

Tell me we're living in late stage capitalism without telling me we're living in late stage capitalism

sh*t like that makes me so angry. Especially that we allow stuff like that to go on without being ashamed about it.

Chairman_Mao wrote:

Tell me we're living in late stage capitalism without telling me we're living in late stage capitalism

Well, at least this didn't pass without notice...

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/14/10640...

The full Playlist of Dr. Timothy Snyder reading and discussing each lesson from On Tyranny is now available. These videos are all short and worth your time. This might be one of the most practical and useful political Playlists on YouTube.

Heartfelt and personal explainer of the power of representation in media. The video is a response to the charges of "wokeness" in the specific case to the Wheel of Time (though her video doesn't talk about the show) but really applies to culture and society more broadly.

She really is a pretty great press secretary.

Jen Psaki hits Republicans with the truth on voting rights, "They are not uninformed a

IDK, who was questioning her, but her responses were terrific

It's two hours and twenty minutes so know that going in. It's a very deep dive into NFT's and cryptocurrencies more broadly. I intended to watch it in chunks but ended up watching it all in one go.

Zona wrote:

It's two hours and twenty minutes so know that going in. It's a very deep dive into NFT's and cryptocurrencies more broadly. I intended to watch it in chunks but ended up watching it all in one go.

Seconded, and I just did the same thing and watched it in one sitting.

Russia Today posted a video on social media about the conservative backlash to Carhartt, a clothing company popular for its outdoor gear and work wear, who said they were still going to require their employees to be vaccinated even though SCOTUS got rid of the federal mandate.

The only problem is that the video prominently features the comedian Brent Turhune who made numerous videos as a red hat dumbf*ck character over the pandemic. The footage RT used was from one of Turhune's recent satirical shorts.

It's quite the achievement to Poe's Law nation state-level propaganda.

I’d like to report a murder…

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCa...

PaladinTom wrote:

I’d like to report a murder…

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCa...

The issue is actually with the staffing agencies that the nurses book their higher paying jobs through.

Those agencies have doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled what they charge hospitals. They've increase what they pay nurses, but not nearly to the same extent. And those agencies are pocketing 40%+ of what they charge hospitals.

So it's not that members of Congress are upset that nurses are earning thousands more. They're worried the owners of the agencies are making millions by price gouging and colluding.