The Some Like It HOT TAKES thread

Firefly is only held in such high regard because it had one amazing season. If it'd had multiple seasons, it also would've faltered a bit like both Angel and Buffy did.

If they ever did continue the story of Serenity and her crew beyond comics, it should be in animated form, like Lower Decks.

The name Grogu sucks. Baby Yoda 4-ever!!

RawkGWJ wrote:

The name Grogu sucks. Baby Yoda 4-ever!!

Every name in Star Wars sucks. You just get used to them after a while.

Ticket to Ride is Empire Builder for babies. Adults play real train games.

EvilDolphin wrote:

The Mandalorian and Boba Fett are the same character. We don’t need both.

I haven’t watched any of The Mandalorian but I thought the Mandalorian was Boba Fett or at least the person who’d become Bobb Fett. I presumed, evidently wrongly, that that was the whole point of the show.

Higgledy wrote:

Bobb Fett.

Great guy. Used to be in his bowling league. Has some solid lawn care tips.

Tscott wrote:
RawkGWJ wrote:

The name Grogu sucks. Baby Yoda 4-ever!!

Every name in Star Wars sucks. You just get used to them after a while.

Kit Fisto says "Hey!... No, no, no, you're >sigh< this is totally fair..."

I have yet to get used to Elan Sleazebaggano.

Every name in Star Wars is bonkers bullsh*t and then the main characters name is f*cking Luke.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I have yet to get used to Elan Sleazebaggano.

I naively assumed this was a joke.

Higgledy wrote:
EvilDolphin wrote:

The Mandalorian and Boba Fett are the same character. We don’t need both.

I haven’t watched any of The Mandalorian but I thought the Mandalorian was Boba Fett or at least the person who’d become Bobb Fett. I presumed, evidently wrongly, that that was the whole point of the show.

That would have made sense. But no, he's a completely different orphan bounty hunter in a suit of Mandalorian armour.

EvilDolphin wrote:
Higgledy wrote:
EvilDolphin wrote:

The Mandalorian and Boba Fett are the same character. We don’t need both.

I haven’t watched any of The Mandalorian but I thought the Mandalorian was Boba Fett or at least the person who’d become Bobb Fett. I presumed, evidently wrongly, that that was the whole point of the show.

That would have made sense. But no, he's a completely different orphan bounty hunter in a suit of Mandalorian armour.

Disney was planning on making a series of character-focused movies, but after Solo underperformed they changed their plans.

Now with D+ they’re getting to make both Boba Fett and Obi Wan stories. Stay tuned for a Yoda story in some form, all brought to you thanks to the success of The Mandalorian.

RawkGWJ wrote:

Factual knowledge is the only important kind of knowledge. Accurate facts are the only important facts.

Edit
Not such a hot take in this experimental utopia, but elsewhere...

The nature of this is explored pretty thoroughly, included a dive on in the development of the fact as a concept in Wootton's 'The Invention of Science'. It's all of chapter 7.

I'm just pointing this out as a fact, as a opposed to a hot take. Apparently there was a Science Wars in the 90's between the wordy types and the test tube types over whether the dominance of the scientific method and facts were as legit as claimed (facts being sociological or linguistic artifacts, as opposed to bits of a shared reality). Presumably one side of that war might consider facts I have presented as hot takes. I'd like to think this conflict neither ended nor raged on, but condensed and refined itself into a single question: "What is a Hot Take?" thus sequestering itself inside a forum where it couldn't do any harm.

A: The only important knowledge is what you feel in your heart.

B: Prove it.

A: I cannot, but I feel it in my heart to be true.

B: Utter nonsense. What matters is empirical fact, as established by observation and rational deduction.

A: How can you be so sure?

B: Easy! Consider the following observations and rational deductions...

PaladinTom wrote:

Disney was planning on making a series of character-focused movies, but after Solo underperformed they changed their plans.

That’s unfortunate. The problem with the Solo flick wasn’t that it was focused on Solo. The problem was that they cast the wrong actor as the lead. The lead just never connected with the source character. That wasn’t the actor’s fault. I would blame the writers and directors actually. The actor was just doing what he was told to do and had very little control over the creative process.

This isn’t the first time that Disney tried to bury an idea because it didn’t go off perfectly. The Pirates of the Caribbean, one of Disney’s most commercially successful films, almost didn’t get made. Why? Because the film based on The Haunted Mansion ride didn’t make enough money. It wasn’t a flop. It just wasn’t a blockbuster. This was enough to make Disney decide that nobody wants to see a movie based on a ride. We almost didn’t have Pirates y’all! All because Disney’s film division suffers from a culture of perfectionism and uses fear and intimidation as management tools.

Hot take: Boba Fett is a rubbish bounty hunter who gets knocked into the sarlac by a blinded stumbling Han Solo. He is the Mr Bean of Star Wars.

I’m going to start a metal band called

PASS-UH-FIST

bbk1980 wrote:

Hot take: Boba Fett is a rubbish bounty hunter who gets knocked into the sarlac by a blinded stumbling Han Solo. He is the Mr Bean of Star Wars.

Prediction: Favreau/Filoni know this and The Book of Boba will be a series of vignettes that will retcon him into a badass via flashbacks. (With a much skinnier actor in the armor.)

Also, I don’t care to see how he got out of the Sarlacc.

RawkGWJ wrote:

That’s unfortunate. The problem with the Solo flick wasn’t that it was focused on Solo. The problem was that they cast the wrong actor as the lead. The lead just never connected with the source character. That wasn’t the actor’s fault. I would blame the writers and directors actually. The actor was just doing what he was told to do and had very little control over the creative process.

Nah, the problem is that they took a perfectly serviceable heist movie and attempted -poorly- to tie it to Han Solo instead of making it just a movie set in the Star Wars universe starring a brand new protagonist. A different actor wouldn't have solved that problem. This will be the same problem with Obi Wan, Yoda, Boba Fett, and any other movie/show/whatever they try to tie to existing characters.

Tell new stories about new characters or gtfo.

Solo is a grower for me. The more I watch it, the more I like it, the less I have issues with him not being Harrison Ford.

It would've made a better TV show. They shoved too much into the film and the emotional payoff didn't entirely connect.

garion333 wrote:

It would've made a better TV show. They shoved too much into the film and the emotional payoff didn't entirely connect.

I see you've found the standard disney formula of "show all quest lines on the map" story telling.

PaladinTom wrote:
bbk1980 wrote:

Hot take: Boba Fett is a rubbish bounty hunter who gets knocked into the sarlac by a blinded stumbling Han Solo. He is the Mr Bean of Star Wars.

Prediction: Favreau/Filoni know this and The Book of Boba will be a series of vignettes that will retcon him into a badass via flashbacks. (With a much skinnier actor in the armor.)

Also, I don’t care to see how he got out of the Sarlacc.

In my head canon that doesn't extend outside the OG films he is still being digested and it shall remain that way.

bbk1980 wrote:

Hot take: Boba Fett is a rubbish bounty hunter who gets knocked into the sarlac by a blinded stumbling Han Solo.

Boba Fett is an excellent bounty hunter and a lousy fighter. Bounty hunting is 90% knowing where your bounty is, and he was the only one who figured out the Millennium Falcon would head for the Cloud City. At which point all he had to do was report to Vader and collect his reward. Vader wasn't trying to hire a fighter; he already had a legion of stormtroopers in addition to his own considerable powers.

In Return of the Jedi, Fett forgot what he was good at and tried to directly involve himself in a fight. It was a mistake, and he was unbelievably lucky to survive -- or not so lucky, in your entirely valid headcanon.

Agathos wrote:
bbk1980 wrote:

Hot take: Boba Fett is a rubbish bounty hunter who gets knocked into the sarlac by a blinded stumbling Han Solo.

Boba Fett is an excellent bounty hunter and a lousy fighter. Bounty hunting is 90% knowing where your bounty is, and he was the only one who figured out the Millennium Falcon would head for the Cloud City. At which point all he had to do was report to Vader and collect his reward. Vader wasn't trying to hire a fighter; he already had a legion of stormtroopers in addition to his own considerable powers.

In Return of the Jedi, Fett forgot what he was good at and tried to directly involve himself in a fight. It was a mistake, and he was unbelievably lucky to survive -- or not so lucky, in your entirely valid headcanon.

A reasonable and well argued point. Should it be moved to another thread?

Whoops, sorry, it won't happen again.

LTTP: I just watch S2E1, and wow that was cool. I loved Timmothy Olaphant, and that was a fun side story. Sad that all the big cameos have already been spoiled for me, but I am looking forward to the journey and plowing through the story before 2021.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

LTTP: I just watch S2E1, and wow that was cool. I loved Timmothy Olaphant, and that was a fun side story. Sad that all the big cameos have already been spoiled for me, but I am looking forward to the journey and plowing through the story before 2021.

Baker Mayfield as Jabba the Hutt was an inspired choice.

garion333 wrote:

Baker Mayfield as Jabba the Hutt was an inspired choice.

Not nearly as inspired as Myles Garrett as the Mandalorian that removes his helmet and bashes everyone to death with it.

Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of a protocol droid tho...

Mixolyde wrote:

Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of a protocol droid tho...

Ask me how many languages I know?! You're gonna be FLOORED by the number of languages I know.