The Some Like It HOT TAKES thread

Seeing what the soccer games are doing this year, I am of the opinion that sports games should do full-blown new releases every 3 years, and just do DLC roster, jersey and minor gameplay updates in between.

Prederick wrote:

Seeing what the soccer games are doing this year, I am of the opinion that sports games should do full-blown new releases every 3 years, and just do DLC roster, jersey and minor gameplay updates in between.

!!HOT TAKE!! - Sports game publishers suck!! Stop trying to sell me the same full priced game every year! Just update the rosters via affordable DLC and focus on making better games!!!

FTFY

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

*Legion* wrote:

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

NCAA 14 was good. I still play the game sometimes.

*Legion* wrote:

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

Sports games are fun. The problem comes when sports gamers think console sports games are supposed to be some sort of professional grade simulator that you buy for $60.

You don't get a game for $60, you get a loot box conveyor belt.

As for simulation quality, I'd settle for at least measuring up to the best PS2/Xbox ones.

Didn't EA admit that certain aspects of the Madden series were broken for several versions of the game and they never fixed them? I remember they said they were revamping the passing mechanic or something and people pointed out they had been that way since, like 2014 or earlier.

*Legion* wrote:

You don't get a game for $60, you get a loot box conveyor belt.

As for simulation quality, I'd settle for at least measuring up to the best PS2/Xbox ones.

Which had already failed to measure up to the PC ones out before that generation of consoles. When I bought NFL 2K on the Dreamcast, it was already a compromise, privileging fun over realism.

When Sierra just canceled all their sports games after the FBPro 99 debacle, it became clear that the community of gamers that wanted a real simulation was too small to even generate indie interest.

Once every console was tied to the internet and began sending EA data on what gamers actually do with their games, it was the end of sim sports on consoles, because even most of the people that claim they like sim sports don’t actually finish a full season.

My Personal Assassin's Creed Rankings:

1. AC: Brotherhood
2. AC: Origins
3. AC: Syndicate
4. AC: Revelations
5. AC: Black Flag
6. AC: Odyssey
7. AC3

Haven’t played: AC1, AC: Rogue, AC: Unity, All the “Chronicles” series

Commentary:
- Origins is the best AC game in nearly a decade since 2
- Syndicate is an under appreciated gem
- Ship combat in all the AC games is a tire fire
- I hate putting AC3 at the bottom because I don’t think it’s as BAD as everyone else does, it’s just the bottom of the list I’ve played and even for as much as I dislike Odyssey it is better than 3
- AC: Odyssey might be the most overrated video game I’ve ever played. Talk about systems “puke”: it’s everything that’s wrong with Ubi open worlds, ramped up to 100 and layered with 16 more unnecessary systems, including awful loot and combat that feels like I imagine a super low budget JRPG, and enough map icons and useless filler side quests to fill every other AC game up twice over

staygold wrote:

My Personal Assassin's Creed Rankings:

Just kind of in reference to this and staygold's rankings, if you're genuinely a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, Odyssey may not be the game for you, because the only thing that's "Assassin's Creed" about it is the title on the box. There are a few places you jump into the modern day/Animus stuff, but it's really rare, and you have no Assassins/Templars in the main story, no hidden blade, and none of the "usual AC stuff". Me, I bought it in the first place because I read that it wasn't at all an actual AC game, and was a bit Black Flag-ish in having some ship combat and less focus on the mythology. I can't stand Assassin's Creed games, and the only ones I've played prior to Odyssey are the original (which I finished), AC2 (never finished), and Black Flag (I enjoyed the non-AC parts of it).

So, really, I think between my assessment and staygold's, you basically have to ask yourself if you're looking for a real AC game or not. If that's what you want, Odyssey is not the game for you, because it's not an Assassin's Creed game in the vaguest sense. If you want a huge, sprawling, open-world adventure that features some fun combat, a progression/upgrade path I found run and rewarding, and lots of entertaining side missions, well, then it might be the game for you.

My AC hot take is that Ubisoft should throw their stupid Assassin/Templar/Isu lore in the garbage and just make fun open-world action RPGs in historical/mythological settings.
I'm enjoying the heck out of Odyssey, but I'd enjoy it more it was about actual Greek mythology and not dumb Precursor artifact bullsh*t.

Also, every present-day sequence in any AC game is hot stinky garbage. "Hey, having fun being a cool pirate? Too bad, now it's time to read emails in a cubicle because we hate you." I don't give a sh*t about Abstergo's evil plans, please just let me play the actual game and not this tedious meta-narrative crap.

staygold wrote:

- AC: Odyssey might be the most overrated video game I’ve ever played. Talk about systems “puke”: it’s everything that’s wrong with Ubi open worlds, ramped up to 100 and layered with 16 more unnecessary systems, including awful loot and combat that feels like I imagine a super low budget JRPG, and enough map icons and useless filler side quests to fill every other AC game up twice over

I feel this way about a lot of games, even outside of Ubisoft. Lately I've taken to just ignoring as many spreadsheety systems as I can, and waiting to see if that stops my progress in the game. I'm surprised at how rarely this outlook actually gets in the way of playing the fun parts of the game. I guess systems-puke is often bordering on nonfunctional, but people like populating nodes in a tree or a map, I guess.

Like your upgrade tree effectively makes me 10% better no matter what I do, so I just go in there sometimes and randomly click sh*t. Meanwhile the "level" increased so now enemies are 10% "better" too, without even the kindness of a palette swap, so in the end there really is just a much more straightforward experience with cruft on top. Games aren't really hard now, so whatever.

Horizons Zero Dawn, Red Dead, Death Stranding, lots of open world games you can kinda just pick and choose which systems might have qualitative consequences and interact with those. Occasionally devs will slip a subversion into the spreadsheety systems, that I guess I might miss, but I caught the one in Red Dead.

I hope this trend becomes the attribute we look back on and go, "oh that's clearly a game from that time, see all the super-happy-youre-a-good-boy ui elements after just about any user interaction?" That would mean we'd moved on from the design ubiquity, and the distribution across system heavy, system light, and the hybrid designs would be more even. Or maybe you can't put that Skinner back in the box?

For the record, Teresa has been playing AC games since AC2. It’s always a day one buy, and she loves the series. She and Jo really loved Ezio.

She thinks Odyssey is the best one.

She might not be a real gamer, though.

Jayhawker wrote:

For the record, Teresa has been playing AC games since AC2.

She might not be a real gamer, though.

Yeah I think this is a true hot take that was not intended or a sarcastic note. But woof. Lol

muttonchop wrote:

Also, every present-day sequence in any AC game is hot stinky garbage. "Hey, having fun being a cool pirate? Too bad, now it's time to read emails in a cubicle because we hate you."

I was probably a good 7-8 hours into Odyssey (I wandered around a lot) before I finished some mission in-game, and suddenly things faded out to some apartment where I had to wander around and literally read emails and I was so incredibly annoyed because, up to that point, I had completely and utterly forgotten I was playing an Assassin's Creed game, and they'd gone and interrupted my incredibly fun experience with what I do enough of at work; reading goddamn emails.

My Personal Assassin's Creed Rankings:

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

*Legion* wrote:

My Personal Assassin's Creed Rankings:

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

1. Spider-Man (PS4)

Mixolyde wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

My Personal Assassin's Creed Rankings:

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

1. Spider-Man (PS4)

Spider-Man PS4 isn't even the best Spider-Man game.

The best Spider-Man game is AC: Syndicate

Tanglebones wrote:

The best Spider-Man game is AC: Syndicate

Things have been all downhill since they took the hidden blade away from Spider-Man back in NCAA 13.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Things have been all downhill since they took the hidden blade away from Spider-Man back in NCAA 13.

The NCAA found out that Spider-Man was Peter Parker and had received payment from performing various unsanctioned jobs. Spidey discovered there's no such thing as a friendly neighborhood compliance investigator as the NCAA stripped his eligibility.

Tanglebones wrote:

The best Spider-Man game is AC: Syndicate

It’s the best Assassins Creed too.

Danjo Olivaw wrote:

Like your upgrade tree effectively makes me 10% better no matter what I do, so I just go in there sometimes and randomly click sh*t.

My version of this is to is to choose a skill tree that I would normally avoid if I was taking the skill tree seriously. That usually provides for some amusing moments.

*Legion* wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

Things have been all downhill since they took the hidden blade away from Spider-Man back in NCAA 13.

The NCAA found out that Spider-Man was Peter Parker and had received payment from performing various unsanctioned jobs. Spidey discovered there's no such thing as a friendly neighborhood compliance investigator as the NCAA stripped his eligibility.

Both of you go to hell.

Also, all of staygold's AC:O observations are dead on.

Journey is just Cat's Cradle for introverts

*Legion* wrote:

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

Can we just stop calling them "sports games" now and move to the more accurate description of "sports-themed games"? kthxbye

staygold wrote:

- Syndicate is an under appreciated gem

It is now that we're not on seven or eight straight years of identical ACs. I played it this year and also found it to be pretty great. But I don't think I would have been as hot on it coming right off of AC:Unity.

pandasuit wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

Can we just stop calling them "sports games" now and move to the more accurate description of "sports-themed games"? kthxbye

I accept the correction.

Jayhawker wrote:

For the record, Teresa has been playing AC games since AC2. It’s always a day one buy, and she loves the series. She and Jo really loved Ezio.

She thinks Odyssey is the best one.

She might not be a real gamer, though.

I’m about the same, it’s been one of my favorite series and I’ve played all of them. Odyssey is also my favorite, though it’s tough to compare Odyssey and Origins with the previous games as they stray pretty far from the original formula.

pandasuit wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Sports games have been dead for 15 years.

Can we just stop calling them "sports games" now and move to the more accurate description of "sports-themed games"? kthxbye

Sports-likes.

And the fictional sports games like Rocket League can be sports-lites.