[Discussion] Small-Scale Military and Anti-Terror Operations

Discussion about small-scale raids and missile or drone strikes, and their fallout. Especially general anti-terror missions. If the US or other countries get involved in a more continuous or long-term operation (for example the war in Ukraine) a separate thread may be more suitable.

We've been talking about the Yemen raid in the Post a News Story and Trump Administration threads, probably better to start a new one for that and similar operations.

I was thinking that Trump could handle one of the most, if not the most, somber and serious duty that he must handle as the Commander in Chief without showboating about it. I'm not entirely sure whether my distaste for this tweet is because it is objectively terrible, or just because I despise him and his tweets, and his tweets are usually so self-serving and mindless that every time I see one of his tweets I now assume he is writing them in that mindset.

[quote="Yonder"]I was thinking that Trump could handle one of the most, if not the most, somber and serious duty that he must handle as the Commander in Chief without showboating about it. /quote]

Not a chance. His response to the Pulse nightclub shooting was "see, I was right about terrorism." His response to criticism from a Gold Star family was insults. He may be genuinely incapable of handling anything with class.

Honestly, my one hope for Trump was that his isolationist policies would dial the foreign military intervention back. That was very short lived and now I'm convinced we are headed for a new war in the next couple years.

jdzappa wrote:

Honestly, my one hope for Trump was that his isolationist policies would dial the foreign military intervention back. That was very short lived and now I'm convinced we are headed for a new war in the next couple years.

Of course we are. It's how he gets re-elected in 2020. Don't expect it to kick off until 2018 at the earliest.

Wow, you guys are way more optimistic than me.

Yonder wrote:

Wow, you guys are way more optimistic than me.

My prediction assumes that Trump doesn't accidentally Tweet his way into a war before Bannon (who is the one who knows how to spell 'strategy') intentionally gets us into one for profit and votes.

Jonman wrote:
Yonder wrote:

Wow, you guys are way more optimistic than me.

My prediction assumes that Trump doesn't accidentally Tweet his way into a war before Bannon (who is the one who knows how to spell 'strategy') intentionally gets us into one for profit and votes.

Ya know, I think I'd rather have "Blood for Oil" Cheney or "Avenge my Dad" Bush than this. At least they were mostly honest about it.

Trump has already started his election fund for 2020, so he's bankrolling money in case something happens that makes him less popular (or gets him thrown out on his ass). He has a way prepared to make a fcukton of money off of failure, but then that's no surprise given his history.

Robear wrote:

Trump has already started his election fund for 2020, so he's bankrolling money in case something happens that makes him less popular (or gets him thrown out on his ass).

Isn't this what every first-term president does shortly after getting into office?

It also restricts the ability of nonprofit groups to publicly oppose him, and I think (dimly remember seeing this) the ability of some federal employees to do the same as well.

RoughneckGeek wrote:
Jonman wrote:
Robear wrote:

Trump has already started his election fund for 2020, so he's bankrolling money in case something happens that makes him less popular (or gets him thrown out on his ass).

Isn't this what every first-term president does shortly after getting into office?

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, no. For instance, Obama announced his 2012 candidacy April 4, 2011 for his run in 2012.

No sarcasm intended.

Officially announcing your candidacy is something you do faaaar down the line from starting fundraising to support that candidacy.

For instance, your average Congresscritter is raising money for re-election within weeks of taking office.

RoughneckGeek wrote:

Obama signed the FEC paperwork to start his candidacy at that same time. Trump has already done so for the 2020 election now. That is not the norm.

I learned something today!

Jonman wrote:

Officially announcing your candidacy is something you do faaaar down the line from starting fundraising to support that candidacy.

For instance, your average Congresscritter is raising money for re-election within weeks of taking office.

Yup. Jeb! raised well over $100 million before he announced his candidacy.

Ah, remember the days when the media were pontificating how that amount of money would all but guarantee him the Republican nomination...