[News] Post a D&D Picture

Previous incarnations of Cleveland/P&C/D&D have had an image thread, to handle political cartoons and other image-based stuff that doesn't belong in the general post-a-picture threads.

If any of them spawn an extended discussion, please spawn it off into its own thread. Replies to non-picture replies should take the form of a link pointing to a post on a different discussion thread.

And I shouldn't have to say it, but the images still need to abide by the rules.

Jonman wrote:

I expect better from Nintendo, and I would assume that there's requirements about racial and LGBT slurs in their certification terms and this one slipped through the net as it's colloquial to one specific (and small) country.

I doubt it. Certification is mostly related to technical issues in how the software interacts with the hardware and the operating system. Content issues (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.) and performance issues (crashes, poor performance, glitches) aren't part of it.

NISA is who you'd want to contact. They're an American company, so it's possible that their localization team didn't understand that's a slur in Britain.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Jonman wrote:

I expect better from Nintendo, and I would assume that there's requirements about racial and LGBT slurs in their certification terms and this one slipped through the net as it's colloquial to one specific (and small) country.

I doubt it. Certification is mostly related to technical issues in how the software interacts with the hardware and the operating system. Content issues (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.) and performance issues (crashes, poor performance, glitches) aren't part of it.

NISA is who you'd want to contact. They're an American company, so it's possible that their localization team didn't understand that's a slur in Britain.

10-4. Contacting them too.

I would have thought it was someone who stole poops. Thanks for the English lesson, Jonman!

Grenn wrote:

I had no idea that that was a slur. I just thought it was a funny name like Turd Ferguson.

IMAGE(https://78.media.tumblr.com/3fb2c1ad2d6cf17f0492ab14fd28a2de/tumblr_njdnq51EXa1r37w3co1_500.gif)

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Grenn wrote:

I had no idea that that was a slur. I just thought it was a funny name like Turd Ferguson.

IMAGE(https://78.media.tumblr.com/3fb2c1ad2d6cf17f0492ab14fd28a2de/tumblr_njdnq51EXa1r37w3co1_500.gif)

He's been to every wedding I've been to. Check the guest books.

Grenn wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
Grenn wrote:

I had no idea that that was a slur. I just thought it was a funny name like Turd Ferguson.

IMAGE(https://78.media.tumblr.com/3fb2c1ad2d6cf17f0492ab14fd28a2de/tumblr_njdnq51EXa1r37w3co1_500.gif)

He's been to every wedding I've been to. Check the guest books.

It... It's you isn't it?

Spoiler:

omg I finally met Turd Ferguson in person!

Three in-sync Norm McDonald Burt Reynolds filling my screen is making me so irrationally happy right now. You have no idea,

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/ZfNSQ24.jpg)

Even if there is a war on coal, why is that a bad thing. That is like complaining there is a war on cancer. Well no crap, we should be trying to get rid of things that are bad.

There are about 50,000 coal miners in the United States. There are about 25,000 oncologists. You don't see anyone saying woah hold on we need to support this cancer thing or these oncologists are going to lose their jobs.

It's become code for the decadent, effete coastal urban (((elite's))) war on the honest, hardworking, and godly rural Real American (TM) culture and their extermination of manly white men.

Isn't Trump the definition of a decadent, effete, coastal, urban elite?

Man the Republicans are so good at propaganda.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Isn't Trump the definition of a decadent, effete, coastal, urban elite?

Man the Republicans are so good at propaganda.

Yea but he's elite not (((elite))), and that makes all the difference.

Does ((((elite)))) = non-white? Because I have a feeling it does.

farley3k wrote:

Does ((((elite)))) = non-white? Because I have a feeling it does.

well if i understand it correctly, the ((())) thing was a twitter phenomenon for Nazi's to call out Jewish people without getting immediately quashed by twitters profanity algorithm. It's still used that way but has also been sorta kinda reclaimed by the Jewish community as a mark of pride rather than target?

I am neither Jewish, nor Nazi, nor a regular twitter user so i'm purely outside looking in on this one.

Nazi's developed a browser extension that put ((())) around the twitter names of Jewish people, especially in the press. As a response other people started manually adding the ((())) as a FU to the Nazi's, or just as a show of solidarity with people being targeted.

That was like a year ago*, I have no idea what if any further developments may have happened.

*I think, recently** something seems to be wrong with time. Every day is a week and every week a year.
**Maybe

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/rx1TuTp.png)

A real American hero.

It's not like the first amendment is that important or anything.

Ah, but there are rules in legislative meetings! Rules about pantsuits!

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/h6RCBRw.jpg)

I doesn't alter the truth of the poem, but Joshua T. Dickerson is a 38 year-old poet in Atlanta. He never went to school in Baltimore and wrote the poem back in 2014.

It is kind of annoying how little can be trusted on the Internet. I mean, obviously I should already know that but it is frustrating how often something that has some impact is untrue.

farley3k wrote:

It is kind of annoying how little can be trusted on the Internet. I mean, obviously I should already know that but it is frustrating how often something that has some impact is untrue.

The poem doesn't become untrue just because a 38 year-old wrote it.

I have several friends who are teachers. Quite a few of them work in economically disadvantaged districts. I've heard similar stories from all of them.

And that ties into their general frustration and dislike of things like relentless performance testing: there's a lot going on in their student's home life that (negatively) impact their academic performance and yet isn't accounted for at all.

IMAGE(http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1439920769l/25078.jpg)

This is a book I wish was more widely read in our country.

“There is a belief advanced today, and in some cases by conservative black authors, that poor children and particularly black children should not be allowed to hear too much about these matters. If they learn how much less they are getting than rich children, we are told, this knowledge may induce them to regard themselves as "victims," and such "victim-thinking," it is argued, may then undermine their capacity to profit from whatever opportunities may actually exist. But this is a matter of psychology-or strategy-and not reality. The matter, in any case, is academic since most adolescents in the poorest neighborhoods learn very soon that they are getting less than children in the wealthier school districts. They see suburban schools on television and they see them when they travel for athletic competitions. It is a waste of time to worry whether we should tell them something they could tell to us. About injustice, most poor children in American cannot be fooled.”
― Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools
“New York City manages expertly, and with marvelous predictability, whatever it considers humanly important. Fax machines, computers, automated telephones and even messengers on bikes convey a million bits of data through Manhattan every day to guarantee that Wall Street brokers get their orders placed, confirmed, delivered, at the moment they demand. But leaking roofs cannot be fixed and books cannot be gotten into Morris High in time to meet the fall enrollment. Efficiency in educational provision for low-income children, as in health care and most other elementals of existence, is secreted and doled out by our municipalities as if it were a scarce resource. Like kindness, cleanliness and promptness of provision, it is not secured by gravity of need but by the cash, skin color and class status of the applicant.”
― Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools
“Two years ago, George Bush felt prompted to address this issue. More spending on public education, said the president, isn’t “the best answer.” Mr. Bush went on to caution parents of poor children who see money “as a cure” for education problems. “A society that worships money …,” said the president, “is a society in peril.” The president himself attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts—a school that spends $11,000 yearly on each pupil, not including costs of room and board. If money is a wise investment for the education of a future president at Andover, it is no less so for the child of poor people in Detroit. But the climate of the times does not encourage this belief, and the president’s words will surely reinforce that climate.”
― Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/L7mDA78.jpg)

farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/L7mDA78.jpg)

And vote in different liars and jerks!

Liars and jerks for our side!

IMAGE(https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27972854_1925034794479302_1572098785696920532_n.jpg?oh=b3525d8da4bbe1221e75cba8ee967478&oe=5B0F2EEE)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/w49THLg.png)

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWFGzFjX4AAgXVB.jpg)

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWFRkMWUMAAqq1a.jpg)