[News] Post a D&D Picture

Previous incarnations of Cleveland/P&C/D&D have had an image thread, to handle political cartoons and other image-based stuff that doesn't belong in the general post-a-picture threads.

If any of them spawn an extended discussion, please spawn it off into its own thread. Replies to non-picture replies should take the form of a link pointing to a post on a different discussion thread.

And I shouldn't have to say it, but the images still need to abide by the rules.

It’s almost like they need to create the situation they want to then rail against over and over to keep their supporters in line.

TheGameguru wrote:

It’s almost like they need to create the situation they want to then rail against over and over to keep their supporters in line.

I see it as ideology trumping reality. Abstinence before marriage is the ideal, and there can be no legislation that deviates from that goal. Nevermind that the proponents of the ideal don't practice it, or that real people suffer the consequences of their pious myopia.

TheGameguru wrote:

It’s almost like they need to create the situation they want to then rail against over and over to keep their supporters in line.

It's almost like it's not about stopping the killing of babies but about controlling women's sex lives and /or bodies.

It's almost as if the entire argument is duplicitous bullsh*t.

OG_slinger wrote:

So congrats anti-abortion activists...

You have a weird way of spelling f**k off.

Jonman wrote:

It's almost as if the entire argument is duplicitous bullsh*t.

Their sh*tty morality is more important than actual reality.

IMAGE(https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/68479866_10158145112707908_102816423235026944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkal5pHmz9qhBeJnpa3eFnq369SoxJoY59-oAEdTIf9oy_nfKZV9uZ3lsntj7QrEDjAlJWHo1xm_SOOTs-M0pop&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=78b0f018e2d20a3392b988ecd55408cc&oe=5DCDD4C5)

I don't know about other countries on that list, but my experience with the Canadian system can't be described as "universal health care". It looks pretty good in comparison to the US, in a lot of ways, but 'universal' it is not.

BushPilot wrote:

I don't know about other countries on that list, but my experience with the Canadian system can't be described as "universal health care". It looks pretty good in comparison to the US, in a lot of ways, but 'universal' it is not.

What do you mean, exactly? I've never had to pay out of pocket for any medical appointment or surgery I've had...

Perhaps it's semantics? I think that prescriptions, vision, dental, and mental health are part of health care. That's without even getting out of things that are pretty explicitly injury/sickness care or direct preventative care and into things that are more general wellness care. Don't get me wrong, I think that it's great that a hospital visit won't bankrupt a citizen in Canada, but I don't think we should be too quick to call it universal and pat ourselves on the back. We look good by comparison to some, but there are lots of things that will cause significant hardship if you can't afford it. It is possible to get some of this covered for some people in some situations, but even then it is not usually a simple, easy to understand process like showing your health card.

BushPilot wrote:

Perhaps it's semantics? I think that prescriptions, vision, dental, and mental health are part of health care.

Ah, I see. Yes, I'd like those to be covered as well.

In the US system, you pay one premium for your health insurance, then vision and dental are a separate and optional premium. Mental health coverage varies. My current plan covers my therapist except for the $20/visit copay, but they only approve eight visits at a time, then have to deem me worthy of getting more. Of course, prescriptions vary depending on what it is.

Canada's system may not be perfect, but holy hell does it sound better than what we've got.

I think I mentioned it here, although maybe it was Slack. I’ve paid $11,000 out of pocket the last 2 years to see my therapist. I definitely think we can do better

IMAGE(https://i.postimg.cc/gc8bdP74/EA312-AE7-5-DF0-4-CEF-AC4-A-5847074-BF982.jpg)

ruhk wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.postimg.cc/gc8bdP74/EA312-AE7-5-DF0-4-CEF-AC4-A-5847074-BF982.jpg)

Ahhh Iowa....God's country....Nothing but faith and family values.....oh and uh all that he said.

Chaz wrote:

Canada's system may not be perfect, but holy hell does it sound better than what we've got.

It's a damn shame that the US does so many backwards things, because it does give a target for the rest of the world to point at and say "Well, at least we aren't that bad.", and nothing improves.

Example, recently a sex worker was murdered here in Australia, and the murderer was knocked over and restrained by someone wielding a milk crate. The narrative here immediately turned into "lol we use milkcrates in Australia instead of guns like in the US". Any potential lessons about how we treat violence against women, or the dehumanisation of sex workers, or any number of other potential avenues of growth were immediately flushed down the toilet because we could point at the US and smugly say: well at least he didn't have an AR-15.

Redwing wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Canada's system may not be perfect, but holy hell does it sound better than what we've got.

It's a damn shame that the US does so many backwards things, because it does give a target for the rest of the world to point at and say "Well, at least we aren't that bad.", and nothing improves.

Example, recently a sex worker was murdered here in Australia, and the murderer was knocked over and restrained by someone wielding a milk crate. The narrative here immediately turned into "lol we use milkcrates in Australia instead of guns like in the US". Any potential lessons about how we treat violence against women, or the dehumanisation of sex workers, or any number of other potential avenues of growth were immediately flushed down the toilet because we could point at the US and smugly say: well at least he didn't have an AR-15.

At least you’re not as high on yourselves as folks in the US.

:smirk:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/sINiqxb.png)

IMAGE(https://i.redd.it/rulojqieb0h31.jpg)

Someone forgot who the president is when making that pic.

True. I still thought it was funny.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/MFhnEBS.jpg)

farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/MFhnEBS.jpg)

And it's a total mystery how that happened and continues to happen. Really bizarre. If only someone could do something about it ...

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Sfs4gzk.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/2RF0kHA.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Vmp4nQa.jpg)

Aetius wrote:

And it's a total mystery how that happened and continues to happen. Really bizarre. If only someone could do something about it ...

I agree. But the "someone" has to be the majority of voters because that is the only way things done in a democracy. And people just don't want to spend the time thinking about it.

farley3k wrote:
Aetius wrote:

And it's a total mystery how that happened and continues to happen. Really bizarre. If only someone could do something about it ...

I agree. But the "someone" has to be the majority of voters because that is the only way things done in a democracy. And people just don't want to spend the time thinking about it.

Wow, really? sh*t, which democracy are you living in? Because the one I'm living in does sh*t all the time that is neither endorsed by nor to the benefit of the majority of voters, never mind the majority of people!

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/JN8P8vk.jpg)

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/e8811ef763720c5a399379dd68b641f9/tenor.gif?itemid=6139291)

farley3k wrote:
Aetius wrote:

And it's a total mystery how that happened and continues to happen. Really bizarre. If only someone could do something about it ...

I agree. But the "someone" has to be the majority of voters because that is the only way things done in a democracy. And people just don't want to spend the time thinking about it.

The Trump administration is still trying to tear down the last attempt to "do something about it," a something that libertarians railed against because they felt that either getting health insurance or paying a small fine violated their sacred principles of individual autonomy and free choice.

And conservatives bravely overrode the knowledge that Obamacare would save taxpayers over $100 billion and slowed the growth of federal healthcare spending with the smug satisfaction of denying help to poor people, who are naturally undeserving because they are poor.

IMAGE(https://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1452cbCOMIC-terrorism-detective.jpg)