[News] Post a D&D Picture

Previous incarnations of Cleveland/P&C/D&D have had an image thread, to handle political cartoons and other image-based stuff that doesn't belong in the general post-a-picture threads.

If any of them spawn an extended discussion, please spawn it off into its own thread. Replies to non-picture replies should take the form of a link pointing to a post on a different discussion thread.

And I shouldn't have to say it, but the images still need to abide by the rules.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/8dZ3mUW.png)

Sadly I can’t tell if that’s a joke or not. I could easily see that happening.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/oDj6c8Y.jpg)

Gremlin wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

Weird to see them admit that he ran in 2012. I thought he won his first time?

The Republicans try, but as you can see they sometimes have trouble keeping their story straight. Or telling us why they employed a liar as National Deputy Chairman of the RNC.

...Because that's the main qualification needed?

Why is the West Virginia GOP giving vendor space to ACT! for America, an organization that is, at best, widely considered to be virulently anti-Muslim, and, more likely, just another racist hate group? Are West Virginians really scared that the 0.1% of the population that's Muslim is going to somehow turn the state into a caliphate?

OG_slinger wrote:

Why is the West Virginia GOP giving vendor space to ACT! for America, an organization that is, at best, widely considered to be virulently anti-Muslim, and, more likely, just another racist hate group? Are West Virginians really scared that the 0.1% of the population that's Muslim is going to somehow turn the state into a caliphate?

NBC: Most Americans Overestimate Muslim Population by 17X, Poll Shows
Americans think that the US is now 17% Muslim (instead of the nation-wise 1%).

People's estimates of the actual values are way, way off for a lot of things.

Americans also think that instead of the actual 9% of our energy that comes from renewable sources, that something closer to 26% does.

America isn't the only country this happens in, of course: Great Britain is wildly afraid of knives out of all proportion to the actual problem. In fact, most countries have a better economy than they think, lower unemployment rate than people think, have fewer elderly people than they think, and have fewer immigrants than they think--and by gigantic factors of wrongness.

I am embarrassed to be from WV.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0xsnHQVsAA93Qw.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/NDhIqx8.png)

Guys, we can stop panicking about climate change - it only lasted the weekend.

IMAGE(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7825/46368460185_adb65ecade_k.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.redd.it/ki3d2cwt5ek21.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/orv54C9.jpg)

Pretty sure Catholic priests prefer other body parts of children...

@OhNoSheTwitnt is a great follow on Twitter

Measured globally extreme poverty & child mortality rates are declining & vaccinations, education, literacy and democracy are all increasing.

Not that we don't need to keep working to improve but it is still nice to see trends going in directions I like.

IMAGE(https://external-preview.redd.it/wHWfBs5gZVTo4izGH3L_76ibWAJt0rUAY-KK7Uh6ehE.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=002538448e359af22b2765288fd18b362da5f56c)

IMAGE(https://i.postimg.cc/HnB2QxtL/xs2c024x1sk21.jpg)

Deep cut.

It's accurate. I made $3.09/hr at Applebee's in 2008 and that was higher than average. We were told we had to claim at least 15% of our tips in the system so that number rises to the minimum wage which was around $7.50 at the time.

If you pay hourly, then it is in the servers best interest to slow down service and wait on as few tables as possible. If you pay them a bonus per table they turn, then it is in the interest to rush customers and not worry about customer service. I'm not saying tipping is perfect, but there is reason it developed. And just eliminating tipping screws everyone, including customers.

Only in America would someone whine about tipping because the extra money at the end of the bill is just too much. People act like servers are out buying BMWs and sending their kids to private schools. If you don't want to tip, don't eat out.

Jayhawker wrote:

If you pay hourly, then it is in the servers best interest to slow down service and wait on as few tables as possible. If you pay them a bonus per table they turn, then it is in the interest to rush customers and not worry about customer service. I'm not saying tipping is perfect, but there is reason it developed. And just eliminating tipping screws everyone, including customers.

What job doesn't have that? If I rush through my work I just get more work, so I should slow down how fast I fix things, but then people will be upset at how long support takes. But if I fly through tasks people will not feel I really explained the issues.

Why isn't my job paid by tipping? Why are not all jobs?

Jayhawker wrote:

I'm not saying tipping is perfect, but there is reason it developed.

It developed so restaurant and railroad owners could 'employ' recently freed slaves, who made up half of all hospitality workers by the 1880s, and not have to actually pay them.

Jayhawker wrote:

Only in America would someone whine about tipping because the extra money at the end of the bill is just too much. People act like servers are out buying BMWs and sending their kids to private schools. If you don't want to tip, don't eat out.

Rather than have workers hope a diner will add 15 or 20 percent to their tab restaurant owners should get rid of tipping, raise their prices 20 percent, and pay their workers a living wage.

But then Americans will whine that their favorite restaurant raised their prices.

There are studies that suggest customer satisfaction with the service is not so much reflected in the tip, but that tipping (and the amount) is based more from cultural influences.

Jayhawker wrote:

I'm not saying tipping is perfect, but there is reason it developed.

And that reason was so that railroads could pay black workers less than whites doing the same job.

We've completely normalized tipping in our society and like to back it up with economic justifications, but tipping is abnormal outside of the U.S. (and we cannot be said to have an international reputation for our quality of service) and has its roots not in economics but, as with seemingly everything else in America, naked racism.

Nevin73 wrote:

There are studies that suggest customer satisfaction with the service is not so much reflected in the tip, but that tipping (and the amount) is based more from cultural influences.

Right. As I recall, black women are consistently tipped less than black men, white women, and white men, in that order. Tipping just shifts the responsibility for wage inequality and pay discrimination to your customers, who will happily do it for you.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

.... and has its roots not in economics but, as with seemingly everything else in America, naked racism.

It is rather odd when you look at many issues how they tie back to slavery and racism.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

There are studies that suggest customer satisfaction with the service is not so much reflected in the tip, but that tipping (and the amount) is based more from cultural influences.

Right. As I recall, black women are consistently tipped less than black men, white women, and white men, in that order. Tipping just shifts the responsibility for wage inequality and pay discrimination to your customers, who will happily do it for you.

Though I'm sure this is sadly also true, I was talking about who leaves the tips, not who gets the tips.

I spent over a week in Italy last year, where tipping wasn't really a thing. We were only unhappy with the service in two places, and that's a far better ratio than I usually get in the States.

I'll also counter a point that no one has made here, but that I saw on the reddit thread that had this picture today "If you take away tips you'll give people a paycut" filled with references of people that make $30 an hour including their tips that would never make that much if they got a big raise and no tips.

Those stories, like many such "the system works for me!" stories, are from a small slice of the work force. That college kid that works one five hour shift on Friday or Saturday evening? Sure, that kid that specifically works the busiest, best tipping time slot waaay out on the gaussian distribution, they make $30 an hour. The people that are there every week day at 2PM? Not so much.

Yonder wrote:

I spent over a week in Italy last year, where tipping wasn't really a thing. We were only unhappy with the service in two places, and that's a far better ratio than I usually get in the States.

I'll also counter a point that no one has made here, but that I saw on the reddit thread that had this picture today "If you take away tips you'll give people a paycut" filled with references of people that make $30 an hour including their tips that would never make that much if they got a big raise and no tips.

Those stories, like many such "the system works for me!" stories, are from a small slice of the work force. That college kid that works one five hour shift on Friday or Saturday evening? Sure, that kid that specifically works the busiest, best tipping time slot waaay out on the gaussian distribution, they make $30 an hour. The people that are there every week day at 2PM? Not so much.

I think those stories can usually be safely categorized as 'concern trolling,' either intentionally, or out of willful ignorance about the experiences of most tip workers

My bad, thanks for enlightening me.