[Discussion] European Politics Discussion

European Politics discussion

Chairman_Mao wrote:

Do people call him BoJo? If not I'm starting that right now.

BoJo has been a thing for quite a while.

Bojo is an insult from the hoverboard community dating back to at least 2015.

Does Boris Johnson know if those boards work on water?

Concave wrote:
Chairman_Mao wrote:

Do people call him BoJo? If not I'm starting that right now.

BoJo has been a thing for quite a while.

Yeah, if there's anything the British tabloids know, it's shortening someone's name to make a nicknames.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/fZANQkY.jpeg)

Phrasing with that headline, Sky.

Something suspiciously looking like common sense breaking out amongst Tory party MPs. What a shame the same won’t be said of their members. They must have been bricking it having to offer them a choice between Boris and Sunak.

Sorbicol wrote:

Something suspiciously looking like common sense breaking out amongst Tory party MPs.

Well, not all of them:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FflEU7zWQAEU-E6?format=png&name=small)

Prederick wrote:

Well, not all of them:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FflEU7zWQAEU-E6?format=png&name=small)

Amongst the very many things Rees Mogg doesn't have, common sense is high among them. The man wants to bring back imperial measurements. The UK started using metric measurements in 1965. Rees Mogg was born in 1969. Even our money went Decimal in 1971 when he was 2 years old. He would never have been taught anything other than metric or decimal and yet he still wants imperial measurements. There's a special kind of lunacy for some people, he has it in spades.

With a bit of luck he's just fried his political career. I doubt Sunak will have anything to do with him.

Sorbicol wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Well, not all of them:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FflEU7zWQAEU-E6?format=png&name=small)

Amongst the very many things Rees Mogg doesn't have, common sense is high among them. The man wants to bring back imperial measurements. The UK started using metric measurements in 1965. Rees Mogg was born in 1969. Even our money went Decimal in 1971 when he was 2 years old. He would never have been taught anything other than metric or decimal and yet he still wants imperial measurements. There's a special kind of lunacy for some people, he has it in spades.

With a bit of luck he's just fried his political career. I doubt Sunak will have anything to do with him.

In the US, we euphemistically call trailer trash Dixie fetishists "neoconfederates". I guess in the UK, they have "neoimperialists

Rishi Sunak is the new British Prime Minister after Penny Mourdant dropped out 2 minutes before the deadline, because she didn't have enough votes.

There won't be a members vote.

Sorbicol wrote:

Rishi Sunak is the new British Prime Minister after Penny Mourdant dropped out 2 minutes before the deadline, because she didn't have enough votes.

There won't be a members vote.

Will that make him the first PM of color in UK history?

Paleocon wrote:

Will that make him the first PM of color in UK history?

Yes, but only by default. If Mourdant had got the 100 MPs she needed to go to the Party membership she would have won comfortably I reckon.

I hasten to add of the two I think Sunak is the better option but frankly that’s not saying a lot.

Sorbicol wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Will that make him the first PM of color in UK history?

Yes, but only by default. If Mourdant had got the 100 MPs she needed to go to the Party membership she would have won comfortably I reckon.

I hasten to add of the two I think Sunak is the better option but frankly that’s not saying a lot.

I bet old Winston is spinning in his grave.

At least one UK Tory supporter I know personally has expressed very thinly veiled disapproval at a non white PM. I assume this is not entirely uncommon.

Paleocon wrote:
Sorbicol wrote:

Rishi Sunak is the new British Prime Minister after Penny Mourdant dropped out 2 minutes before the deadline, because she didn't have enough votes.

There won't be a members vote.

Will that make him the first PM of color in UK history?

And the first Hindu, and the youngest in 200 years (he's 42).

Probably going to lose a lot of UKIP support...

The real test will be to see if monarchs drop dead soon after meeting him.

Or they could solve the energy crisis by connecting a generator to Prince Philip spinning in his grave

Had no idea the new guy is so wealthy he makes the royal family look like peasants.

OG_slinger wrote:

Had no idea the new guy is so wealthy he makes the royal family look like peasants.

Listen, I'm still pissed that I was informed he was born in 1980.

I'm not f*cking ready to be slightly younger than the PM of the UK.

Prederick wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:

Had no idea the new guy is so wealthy he makes the royal family look like peasants.

Listen, I'm still pissed that I was informed he was born in 1980.

I'm not f*cking ready to be slightly younger than the PM of the UK.

Imagine how I feel being a decade older and nowhere near my first $100 million and not remotely close to running a country. And I'm a white guy. It's just supposed to happen for people like me.

The class-washing for Rishi has been epic. Acting like he is some plucky middle-class guy made good when he went to a school where the annual fees are greater than the average wage of a person living in that country.

OG_slinger wrote:

Had no idea the new guy is so wealthy he makes the royal family look like peasants.

It’s not his money - mostly - it’s his wife’s. She’s the daughter of an Indian IT Billionaire.

Yeah. He's just another out of touch hedge fund wanker.

Prederick wrote:

Listen, I'm still pissed that I was informed he was born in 1980.

I'm not f*cking ready to be slightly younger than the PM of the UK.

Exactly this, except I'm older than him by about three weeks. I emailed a couple of my closest friends from school about it, actually, and we lamented together about how it feels as though we've crossed some kind of age-related threshold that we weren't ready to cross.

Count Binface is looking better and better by the day.

Oh how I miss Lord Buckethead.

Tasty Pudding wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Listen, I'm still pissed that I was informed he was born in 1980.

I'm not f*cking ready to be slightly younger than the PM of the UK.

Exactly this, except I'm older than him by about three weeks. I emailed a couple of my closest friends from school about it, actually, and we lamented together about how it feels as though we've crossed some kind of age-related threshold that we weren't ready to cross.

Yeah, you cross the same threshold when you go from identifying with the protagonists in most stories to having more in common with their parents.

My favorite version is this tweet.

You: "I'm only 35, I have my whole life ahead of me."

Sports broadcaster: "Here comes the oldest player in the league. He's 32. A miracle."