[Q&A] Political Predictions Repository

Want to make your mark and be GWJ famous?

This is a place to deposit political predictions you'd like to make in public, so that they can be easily found and referenced in the future. Thus, it is not a discussion thread; discussions of predictions should take place in other threads as conversations proceed. Explicit clarification questions and answers are fine, but "Why do you think that?" expositions should occur elsewhere so as not to clutter the repository. Predictions should be narrowly defined; testable with publicly available information at all times; have an explicit date range; and refer to events, people and places explicitly so as to leave no doubt of resolution; and they should be numbered sequentially so that they are easier to find at later dates. Edits must be clearly marked and original text preserved through the use of strike-throughs if the prediction is modified. Please avoid the use of generalities - "The President will change his mind on this topic" is less useful than "The President will change his policy from yes to no on this topic", because the latter prevents a tiny change from being claimed as success. Failed predictions should be marked in bold at the top of the post via an edit, leaving the rest intact.

DSGamer wrote:

Read the Portland subreddit and you’ll see tons of MAGAs and fair weather “liberals” who genuinely believe police were defunded and it’s time to round up the homeless and put them “somewhere else”. That and Phil Knight’s money is why Oregon might get a Republican governor.

The Portland subreddit has always been pretty NIMBY but it’s been filled with straight-up reactionaries since the Floyd Protests. They had to restrict new accounts from posting because the subreddit keeps getting brigaded by people outside the city.

ruhk wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Read the Portland subreddit and you’ll see tons of MAGAs and fair weather “liberals” who genuinely believe police were defunded and it’s time to round up the homeless and put them “somewhere else”. That and Phil Knight’s money is why Oregon might get a Republican governor.

The Portland subreddit has always been pretty NIMBY but it’s been filled with straight-up reactionaries since the Floyd Protests. They had to restrict new accounts from posting because the subreddit keeps getting brigaded by people outside the city.

Be that as it may if it’s remotely representative of the region we’re boned here.

Make no mistake. The republicans aren't coming after democrats. They're coming after democracy. and the idiots who vote for them are so terrified at the boner they might get when they see a trans woman reading a story to a kid at a library that they will gladly trade the inheritance the Founders gave them for a bowl of fascist pottage.

Not terribly bold, but Bolsonario is probably going to attempt a coup.

Paleocon wrote:

Not terribly bold, but Bolsonario is probably going to attempt a coup.

I’d imagine he’ll follow the Pinochet playbook.

Clumber wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Not terribly bold, but Bolsonario is probably going to attempt a coup.

I’d imagine he’ll follow the Pinochet playbook.

Yup. I am sure Trump would have done the same had his mob of traitors managed to slaughter Congress.

Paleocon wrote:

Make no mistake. The republicans aren't coming after democrats. They're coming after democracy. and the idiots who vote for them are so terrified at the boner they might get when they see a trans woman reading a story to a kid at a library that they will gladly trade the inheritance the Founders gave them for a bowl of fascist pottage.

FYI Drag queens and Trans women are very different. Let's not conflate the two, please. This isn't a mod action, just a personal request.

There's a complicated history that's not really widely known outside of queer spaces as noted in the link I provided above that gives some insight to that and why it can be concerning harmful for trans folks.

Not so bold prediction: if a Republican wins in 2024, someone is going to murder one or more liberal Supreme Court justices.

The next 3-5 days are going to be just a great, great time to do a total social media detox. That is my prediction.

Yeah stopping Twitter for tonight. Yikes.

It's as if a conservative white man just bought Twitter and reworked all the algorithms to promote what he believes in just prior to a major election in the United States.

Mixolyde wrote:

Democrats will gain Senate seats in the 2022 election, but that exact number of Senators will suddenly take issue with ending the filibuster or expanding the exceptions to it to get anything more progressive done.

So far so good! I wonder who the next group of villains will be.