[Discussion] On Television, Cinema and Race

Thread for race issues in media.

Birth Of a Nation
This movie isn't do so good. I think this is because black people are tired of slave type movies, white people don't want the white guilt, and everybody else is turned off by the rape case. I mean this in general. This is just a perfect storm for the downfall of the movie.

Surviving Compton
Straight out of compton left out the ladies. This lifetime show means to correct that. I believe all of the production was done by women.

Mulan live.
All Chinese cast. Maybe the dumb choices of Gods of Egypt are over.

Prederick wrote:

I've always thought the issue was a bit more complicated than the yelling people on Twitter would like to present it as.

For instance, in animated shows, I'm not insomuch about only hiring PoC voice actors to play PoC roles as I am just giving more opportunities to PoC VAs and other people in positions of power in production.

Totally agree. For example, I would rather watch a series based on Octavia Butler’s writings than see Black elves shoehorned into a new LOTR series.

Not me. I read both Earthseed books and they were so dark. I didn't enjoy them.

I’m not entirely against re envisioning the Uruk-hai in black and gold polo shirts either. Heck, the proud boys would probably see it as a compliment.

jdzappa wrote:
Prederick wrote:

I've always thought the issue was a bit more complicated than the yelling people on Twitter would like to present it as.

For instance, in animated shows, I'm not insomuch about only hiring PoC voice actors to play PoC roles as I am just giving more opportunities to PoC VAs and other people in positions of power in production.

Totally agree. For example, I would rather watch a series based on Octavia Butler’s writings than see Black elves shoehorned into a new LOTR series.

Well, we'll disagree pretty strongly on the last part.

I'll admit to having raised an eyebrow at the black Velaryons in House of the Dragon, but after the first episode... nope, I was wrong, the show creators were right, there are a LOT of characters to keep track of and anything they can do to make them more visually distinct is appreciated, and also Steve Touissant is great and I want to see more of him and his character.

I read that Lord Corlys is supposed to be getting a spin-off show though I wouldn't be surprised if that gets axed considering the way things are going at WBD.

Prederick wrote:
jdzappa wrote:
Prederick wrote:

I've always thought the issue was a bit more complicated than the yelling people on Twitter would like to present it as.

For instance, in animated shows, I'm not insomuch about only hiring PoC voice actors to play PoC roles as I am just giving more opportunities to PoC VAs and other people in positions of power in production.

Totally agree. For example, I would rather watch a series based on Octavia Butler’s writings than see Black elves shoehorned into a new LOTR series.

Well, we'll disagree pretty strongly on the last part.

Sorry for the late reply - due to work and PAX I haven't been following the site that closely. I just wanted to clarify that I fully support diversity in LOTR. Some of their choices just felt forced, but I'll withhold any judgement till I actually get a chance to binge the show this week.

FWIW, I am once again, so annoyed that the BS culture war sh*t has come to another show I don't care about, and now I feel like I have to leave it on in another room to support it or something.

Prederick wrote:

FWIW, I am once again, so annoyed that the BS culture war sh*t has come to another show I don't care about, and now I feel like I have to leave it on in another room to support it or something.

That feeling? That's fandom f*cking with you.

I'll never understand racists. Your viewing experience is ruined because Rivendell doesn't look like a Klan rally? Come on.

Don't try to look for logic in it, you won't find it.

The one place where it seemed to potentially make a little bit of sense was the Velaryons on House of the Dragon, because in the books, that is a family of very very light-skinned people obsessed with in-universe ideas of racial purity. Casting them with black actors is a little like casting a black Nazi general in a WWII movie; yeah, you CAN do it, but unless you're trying to make a very specific statement by doing so, is it really a good idea?

But like I mentioned above, I fully admit to having been just plain wrong about that one, which is why I try to give these decisions the benefit of the doubt and keep my dumb mouth shut until I see the final product.

Agent 86 wrote:

I'll never understand racists. Your viewing experience is ruined because Rivendell doesn't look like a Klan rally? Come on.

hbi2k wrote:

Don't try to look for logic in it, you won't find it.

The logic is "I don't like black people so I shouldn't have to see them on TV."

The same issue they have with actors who are LGBTQ+, Muslim, female...

It's that meme picture with the reactionary YouTube neckbeard, where it's five white people and that is "normal" and then you add one black person or LGTBQ person and now he's frowning because "you made it political."

When sh*tty worlds collide.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/JcNlW5t.png)

I mean, I do appreciate him acknowledging that "woke" in this context just means "non-white".

“Don’t misinterpret this as racist, but you seem to have included a black person in your movie and I fixed it.” Oy.

I'm at a loss for how else to interpret it.

The fact that the creator of that post probably sincerely thinks he "isn't racist" says so much about how society as a whole has allowed the term to be marginalized into meaninglessness in order to make racists comfortable.

That was a cya, that guy definitely knows he is a racist.

"Well, everyone knows all real mermaids are white."

Having had this exact conversation recently - both regarding Ariel and James Bond (who racists claim should not ever be played by the likes of Idris Elba) - the answer is always “but the creators of these properties made them white,” to which of course the rebuttal is blessedly obvious.

SallyNasty wrote:

That was a cya, that guy definitely knows he is a racist.

He specifically addressed the note to Twitter for exactly that reason.

Dear Twitter: Please do not censure me for my obvious racism.

Dear Everyone Else: Hey check out this racist sh*t I'm about to drop on you.