NHL 2016-2017

I was trying to get tickets to the Preds game tonight until I saw the prices.

IMAGE(http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/jh2up/lol-no.gif)

If (When?) They make it to the Stanley Cup Finals I may have to splurge and go anyways...if my wife doesn't divorce me.

The crowd in Nashville is something else tonight. Only way they'd be better would be if they would sing while play was going on.

Well-done, Nashville.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAetN9gXYAAnO0A.jpg)

Good riddance Ducks. God I hate the way they play the game, typical Carlyle team. Bieksa at the end of the game was unsurprising.

I have a hard time seeing Nashville beating Pittsburgh in the finals. Josi-Ellis taking a regular shift against Crosby or Malkin when the Preds' centre depth has already been obliterated would be painful. Ottawa seems like they would make for a much closer series.

Although I'm a Rangers fan, I'm rooting for Ottawa to beat the Pens. Pens won enough anyways

Also, I agree on your point Roke. I see an Ottawa/Nashville game being a better series than with the Pens included.

I was at the game last night and the energy in the crowd was unreal.

I really hope there's a few more home games to come =)

Playoff Hockey > pretty much everything

God, this truly is a new Dead Puck era. 11 shots in that first period. The only surprising thing was the slashing penalty being called.

Frickin' Pens.

-BEP

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well Nashville scored their first ever Stanley Cup goal... and then it was overturned on offside replay.

Still not sure how it was overruled. I don't watch a ton of hockey but in football and basketball there's always that phrase "indisputable evidence" and if they don't have it they let the play stand. Looked too close to call to me, so figured it would stand.

Stele wrote:

Well Nashville scored their first ever Stanley Cup goal... and then it was overturned on offside replay.

Still not sure how it was overruled. I don't watch a ton of hockey but in football and basketball there's always that phrase "indisputable evidence" and if they don't have it they let the play stand. Looked too close to call to me, so figured it would stand. :?

Seemed pretty clear to me that the Nashville's forward skate was off the ice when they got control of the puck/the puck crossed the line.

Edit: Apparently people looking at it in HD are saying the blade was still on the ice which I didn't see on CBC's lowish quality stream. My bad.

But God these offside and goalie interference video reviews are awful. Never know how a call's going to go (especially with the interference) and it sucks the life out of the flow of the game.

Anyway, Go Preds. Looking better than I expected so far.

Didn't just suck the life flow out of the game, but apparently of the Preds. Followed that with what I thought was a bogus interference call, Neal being a moron and gifting the Penguins a 5-on-3, Rinne getting faked out on a damn good play, and then Ekholm being an idiot.

Feels like the fates are conspiring against them. Probably a cosmic sign to me to stop watching...

Bubs14 wrote:

Didn't just suck the life flow out of the game, but apparently of the Preds. Followed that with what I thought was a bogus interference call, Neal being a moron and gifting the Penguins a 5-on-3, Rinne getting faked out on a damn good play, and then Ekholm being an idiot.

Feels like the fates are conspiring against them. Probably a cosmic sign to me to stop watching...

The NHL officiating RNG sure went against the Predators that period, that's for sure.

The momentum seemed to shift after the goal was disallowed but I thought a big part of that was Laviolette putting out the McLeod line, them getting pinned in, and then the next line also getting pinned in because they couldn't get control of the puck. Shortly after you have the penalties, an elbow leading up to the first Pittsburgh goal, and yeah... I turned it off at that point.

I've done that a lot these playoffs. Watch part of a game, turn it off because the hockey or the officiating's awful, and maybe come back to it later on if there's a buzz on Twitter. I usually don't switch off until the second period though.

Oof, tuned in at 3-2 again. Tough loss for Nashville, post at one end, Penguins take the lead on their first shot in forever in the other.

Has to be pretty encouraging to have dominated Pittsburgh though. Score effects were obviously a big factor, but Nashville carried the game overall and at tied. It't not much compensation for going down 1-0 in the series, but it doesn't seem like Pittsburgh's going to be able to dominate so the Preds have a decent chance.

If it's Crosby's team (or a superstar's team) then there's nothing random about the RNG officiating. The NHL's officials and the NHL have always purposefully gave little advantages to their favourites.

Vector wrote:

If it's Crosby's team (or a superstar's team) then there's nothing random about the RNG officiating. The NHL's officials and the NHL have always purposefully gave little advantages to their favourites.

Honestly I think it's just the NHL's culture of incompetence. Can't have the referees enforce the rulebook consistently because that would be deciding the game and favour teams not committing as many infractions, can't boot an incompetent executive for a clear conflict of interest because he's part of the old boys network.

The only thing the league's good at is extracting money from governments for arenas (and they aren't as good at that as the other North American leagues) and using labour law to limit how much they pay their players because the people they employ to manage their teams are terrible manager who aren't good at evaluating players.

Roke wrote:

[can't boot an incompetent executive for a clear conflict of interest because he's part of the old boys network.

Would that be Colin Campbell? The one who is oh so concerned about player safety?

Here is the reporter's question that got Campbell so heated: link to tweet.

I'm still happy about this final, Pittsburgh and Nashville are a really interesting match up.

Irwin not even getting a penalty for that hit, never mind the 5 minutes it should have been, is why I find it comforting to view NHL officiating as a random number generator.

Nashville taking dumb penalties and Rinne regressing back to his below-average self seems to be the equalizer in this game. They were great at even-strength again.

Bad time for Rinne to turn into a pumpkin, it's hard to win games when your goalie's stopping 78% of the shots. Nashville persisting with their 4th line when at best they get pinned in their own zone and leaking shots against or at worst they're taking penalties.

Are you going to game 3 or 4 Gumbie?

IMAGE(http://www.kiss917.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/04/believinh.jpg)

If the Preds can steal one in Pittsburgh Thursday night to set up a clincher in Nashville on Sunday you bet your sweet ass I will be there. I may not be in the arena per say ($400 a ticket for nosebleeds) but I will be outside the arena in downtown going ape sh*t. God speed to my liver if they win.

#Smashville

What a terrible win. Nashville should have won. Penguins got a junk goal and Nashville got a real goal that was blown dead by bad officiating.

Hobear wrote:

Penguins got a junk goal and Nashville got a real goal that was blown dead by bad officiating.

Wow, that was a fast whistle.

Exciting game, though.

Yeah the game 1 overturned goal for Nashville changed things too. Not a fun series.

I can't see anyone outside of Pittsburgh being happy with the result.

f*ck crosby and f*ck the penguins, absolutely undeserving of the cup.

Dunno how I never ran into this until just now, but I've been burning my way through reading Check Please! -- a webcomic about a kid in college hockey. It's really well-written and beautifully drawn, and often hilarious.

I was looking at our predictions from the beginning of the year, and found that I was right on the mark:

Nihilo wrote:

First coach fired: Tortorella

Umm..

(I still say he's not a great coach. Bobrovsky just had a stellar year.)