Apple Operating Systems (macOS, iOS, watchOS, & tvOS) Catch-All

I just tested it. Between the laptop screen, the ViewSonic, and the iPad I've got my 2019 MBP driving 3 displays.

Thanks for testing that. Did you use SideCar to get the iPad as a monitor?

-BEP

I used the built-in OS feature to do it. Not sure what its brand name is; I just went to Settings > Displays and clicked the + and selected my iPad from the list.

Vargen wrote:

I used the built-in OS feature to do it. Not sure what its brand name is; I just went to Settings > Displays and clicked the + and selected my iPad from the list.

Thanks.

-BEP

Apple can ingest an entire satchel of Richards.

I have a custom ringtone for certain work numbers so I know it's work that's calling. Today I tried to set that ringtone for some new contacts and it was mysteriously absent from the list, even though it's still there for the old ones. It turns out that Apple has decided that there are ring tones and text tones and they shall no longer mix.

I found a workaround by opening my contacts on my Mac and using cmd-c and cmd-v. That let me duplicate a contact with the sound I wanted, which I could then update with the correct name and numbers.

Grr

It's really sad how many departments at Apple have mostly forgotten how to UI. They have gone from waaay back in the 1990s, the exemplar of clean UI with simple actions and obvious results, to what we have today.

However, the punch line is that Apple was attacked in the early days for this confusing non-modal UI and a pointing device that was just so much harder than pushing keys from a list of options.

The ViewSonic is great, Vargen. I worked on Friday with it as my 2nd monitor with it pulling the power/video straight from the Thunderbolt port. I didn't use the iPad - the table in the camper is a little small for all 3 and I read that the iPad and MacBook have to both be logged into the same AppleId.

I'll about to hook the monitor up to my ASUS ROG laptop just to check it out.

-BEP

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but the iOS 18 preview looks surprisingly feature-filled - and with like actual day-to-day useful stuff.

merphle wrote:

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but the iOS 18 preview looks surprisingly feature-filled - and with like actual day-to-day useful stuff.

Agreed, some of the updates like customizing control center and tinting app icon colors looks really good.

T-Prime wrote:
merphle wrote:

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but the iOS 18 preview looks surprisingly feature-filled - and with like actual day-to-day useful stuff.

Agreed, some of the updates like customizing control center and tinting app icon colors looks really good.

I'm also shocked that those changes are also coming to iPadOS too without having to wait another full year.