Apple Operating Systems (macOS, iOS, watchOS, & tvOS) Catch-All

Pages

Mr GT Chris wrote:

I'm still rocking my iPhone SE, my preferred size (and price!).

My wife is doing the same and wishes they'd come out with a newer one in that size. My Pixel camera really puts hers to shame and it's frustrating for her taking pictures of our daughter. But she hates the monster phone sizes, so she soldiers on.

I think I am going to give Apple Arcade a go. It's priced right (for now), works with the whole family, my wife prefers mobile gaming, and we have AppleTVs on every tv.

I'm also hoping this service has real games with no freemium garbage.

TheGameguru wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

So what happened to the iPhone 9, now that they're calling the new phone the 11? It's not quite Windows Vista level naming, but still pretty amusing.

Well it would be weird after having the 10 (X) to go back to the 9... I think they skipped it because of the whole anniversary thing.

Oh, I assumed they weren’t going back. I was just surprised they called the next one 11. Weird.

DSGamer wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

So what happened to the iPhone 9, now that they're calling the new phone the 11? It's not quite Windows Vista level naming, but still pretty amusing.

Well it would be weird after having the 10 (X) to go back to the 9... I think they skipped it because of the whole anniversary thing.

Oh, I assumed they weren’t going back. I was just surprised they called the next one 11. Weird.

My guess is the original plan was to keep using 10 (like the macOS) for their premium phones and then use the 9 for the eventual low end upgrade to the 8. Then when the XR was a hit they chucked everything and went with 11. Also, too many people pronounced it the wrong way.

PaladinTom wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

So what happened to the iPhone 9, now that they're calling the new phone the 11? It's not quite Windows Vista level naming, but still pretty amusing.

Well it would be weird after having the 10 (X) to go back to the 9... I think they skipped it because of the whole anniversary thing.

Oh, I assumed they weren’t going back. I was just surprised they called the next one 11. Weird.

My guess is the original plan was to keep using 10 (like the macOS) for their premium phones and then use the 9 for the eventual low end upgrade to the 8. Then when the XR was a hit they chucked everything and went with 11. Also, too many people pronounced it the wrong way.

I'm sure someone within the company wanted a model iX, to be pronounced "eye-ten," in a potential 9 slot...

Apple keeps introducing new iPhone models without a headphone jack!

I keep sticking with my 6S instead of upgrading!

It’s probably not coming back. Other manufacturers have been dropping it as well.
I was certain it would be a hassle but I’ve had an X for two years and honestly I don’t miss it.

Once you get some wireless headphones it is fine. I haven’t missed it in a couple of years.

I still have wired noise canceling headphones and I just adjusted to them having a dongle at all times.

The only real hassle is that if I’m on a flight and I decide to start playing my Switch I have to do something like leave the dongle plugged into my iPhone so I don’t lose track of it.

I read recently that Samsung has deleted all their YouTube videos where they made fun of Apple for dropping the jack, since they've done that themselves...

I'm OK with losing the jack so long as the dongle is included/cheap. I just want something that fits in one hand better. If I want a bigger screen I'll tether my iPad Pro.

It just occurred to me that I'm more likely to replace my SE with an Apple Watch at some point than I am with a new iPhone. The watch is more likely to give me what I want, which is a cellphone connection with maximum portability. The only downside is I need to be able to download music and podcasts because I spend a decent amount of time in places where I can't get a signal. And I don't expect they let you tether a tablet to a cellular Watch yet.

I have wireless earbuds for bath time but when I'm on the go I like being able to switch my earbuds quickly between multiple devices. I'm sure one day every single device will support bluetooth and allow me to switch between them seamlessly but we're not there yet.

My phone barely keeps up, battery-wise (some days)... I like that I know my corded buds won’t run out of juice. Podcastin’ (with some surfin’, or Youtubin’/Twitchin’) all day, yo.

I go back and forth between the Earpods and the wired lightning connector headphones. I can still go most of the day with moderate to heavy use without needing to recharge so even with the wired headphones it just hasn’t come up where I would need to charge while wanting to listen to something.

Vargen wrote:

It just occurred to me that I'm more likely to replace my SE with an Apple Watch at some point than I am with a new iPhone. The watch is more likely to give me what I want, which is a cellphone connection with maximum portability. The only downside is I need to be able to download music and podcasts because I spend a decent amount of time in places where I can't get a signal. And I don't expect they let you tether a tablet to a cellular Watch yet.

The newer watches do have a couple GBs of memory that let you store music or podcasts right on the watch so you don't need your phone for playback. I am not sure if you can download them directly on the watch or if it goes through your phone to do it though.

I’m pretty sure you have to have an iPhone to even setup a watch. Maybe an iPad would work, but I’m not positive. I definitely understand it as an accessory.

I wonder if they'll sell Apple Watch 4 as refurbs? I'm finally ready to jump in and I want the EKG functionality.

Pages