A Thread 4 Fast 4 Furious

That looks like precisely the kind of action movie we've been needing since the 80's ended.

And I can only laugh at how absurd a lesser Point Break rip-off has become. Genetically modified super soldiers! In the same universe as Vin Diesel being under government investigation for stealing VCRs!

Who could have imagined after that first movie that this is where we'd end up?

ccesarano wrote:

Who could have imagined after that first movie that this is where we'd end up?

I'm just waiting for them to go into space.

YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

Veloxi wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Who could have imagined after that first movie that this is where we'd end up?

I'm just waiting for them to go into space.

YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

A shootout between two Teslas. Each mounted on it's own SpaceX rocket.

Musk'll be up for that product placement.

Jonman wrote:
Veloxi wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Who could have imagined after that first movie that this is where we'd end up?

I'm just waiting for them to go into space.

YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

A shootout between two Teslas. Each mounted on it's own SpaceX rocket.

Musk'll be up for that product placement.

Nonono, one rocket heading for the moon, the only way they can stop it is if they shoot a rocket dragging a tesla dragging ANOTHER ROCKET on a PRECISE intercept course so that The Rock can, at the right time, give the middle finger as he ejects.

Saw the Hobbes & Shaw trailer the other day and realised I hadn't seen F8 yet, so I checked it out. Some fun ideas, but I think the main series is on a gentle downward trajectory since 5. The action was fun, but magical hacker stuff just aggravates me. It's also clear why they are going with Hobbes & Shaw buddy action, they were the high point.

I still cannot get over how easily everyone just accepted Shaw into the Family. He. Killed. Han. Yet in F8 he's just a slightly roguish but lovable asshole, apparently.

If Han isn't dead in F9? Sure, all can be forgiven. But seriously, the whole set of movies are about Family.

Well, they killed the other Shaw first which was his family, so it's wash right?

Plus who can stay mad at Jason Statham forever? Not me, that's for sure. #swoon

Grenn wrote:

Well, they killed the other Shaw first which was his family, so it's wash right?

But HE came back.

Why would Han want to come back? Now he's with Gisele.

Grenn wrote:

Well, they killed the other Shaw first which was his family, so it's wash right?

Actually if I recall, 7 opens up with Jason Statham by his brother's bedside, so... no, they didn't. They severely injured him, but they didn't kill him.

ccesarano wrote:
Grenn wrote:

Well, they killed the other Shaw first which was his family, so it's wash right?

Actually if I recall, 7 opens up with Jason Statham by his brother's bedside, so... no, they didn't. They severely injured him, but they didn't kill him.

Maybe they just respect that Shaw also has a “code” when it comes to family.

Notably either way Shaw’s brother was an international terrorist, so making good with Statham is pretty crazy no matter how you slice it.

In this spinoff Hobbs is essentially teamed up with the brother of a global terrorist.

To specify, I wasn't defending the decision. It's kind of funny that all of the impossible physics and circumstances I can shrug and get over, but it still eats at me that everyone's all huggy-huggy with the Shaws by the end of 8.

Because the wonky physics and absurd plot twists were built in the first few movies. Same with the crazy hacking and even switching sides constantly (remember when Dom used to steal DVD players?).

But the movies have always been about Family.

ccesarano wrote:

To specify, I wasn't defending the decision. It's kind of funny that all of the impossible physics and circumstances I can shrug and get over, but it still eats at me that everyone's all huggy-huggy with the Shaws by the end of 8.

I knew what you meant. I think it’s silly as well.

Stele wrote:

Why would Han want to come back? Now he's with Gisele.

What?! I didn't see him in Themyscira...

I have just emerged from Hobbs and Shaw. I'm going to give it an A on 2 steins of beer--delirious action, quite funny, I like the embellishments to Hobbs' backstory, delightfully cartoonish. I feel like this can be an ideal case for a spinoff, as it provides a home for some great characters people wanted to see, but also didn't quite fit in the main series. Hobbs, beyond the Diesel/Rock feud, had limited utility in stories about the Family, and Shaw killed Han. Now, they both have a place to be, and if that place becomes the repository of all the militaristic legitimacy and allows the main series to be about scrappy ne'er do wells, I'm willing to elevate this movie to A+.

Love the FFCU (Fast and Furious Cinematic Universe).

DSGamer wrote:

Love the FFCU (Fast and Furious Cinematic Universe).

AKA the HIEU (Home Improvement Extended Universe)

Oh, nearly forgot, favorite cameo:

Spoiler:

The late appearance of NOS.

Was there enough shifting?

They furiously shifted 2 fast.

IMAGE(http://www.dailypics.com/_pics/shifting-in-fast-and-furious-movies.jpg)

IMAGE(https://blazepress.com/.image/t_share/MTI4OTkxMjU1ODQ4ODczOTU0/gears.jpg)

That was silly. Fun, but also really silly. Kinda like the main F&F movies, but without the large cast to keep it afloat.

Still a good watch but I don't think Johnson and Statham can manage to keep these movies going by themselves.

Saw it, liked it. Some things drove me a bit nuts - like the sense of time. She has X number of hours which is enough time for Hobbes to fly to London from CA, fight, fly to Russia and meet lady with the guns and the house, then fly again, then get into the base, escape base, fly to Samoa, get to Hobbes's family place, fix the machine and then extract it from her body....really?

Still a lot of fun.

I... didn’t like it. I kind of hated it, actually. Too much of the Hobbs and Shaw toxic masculinity symposium.

If they had dialed that back like a million notches I might have enjoyed it as a dumb, mindless action movie.

Notably, I watched Mission Impossible: Fallout a couple of days ago. That movie is incredible and seeing it a few days earlier probably colored my opinion of Hobbs and Shaw.

farley3k wrote:

Saw it, liked it. Some things drove me a bit nuts - like the sense of time. She has X number of hours which is enough time for Hobbes to fly to London from CA, fight, fly to Russia and meet lady with the guns and the house, then fly again, then get into the base, escape base, fly to Samoa, get to Hobbes's family place, fix the machine and then extract it from her body....really?

Still a lot of fun.

Hey, now.
We can complain about that in Game of Thrones. Here what matters is... did they travel fast and furious?

farley3k wrote:

Saw it, liked it. Some things drove me a bit nuts - like the sense of time. She has X number of hours which is enough time for Hobbes to fly to London from CA, fight, fly to Russia and meet lady with the guns and the house, then fly again, then get into the base, escape base, fly to Samoa, get to Hobbes's family place, fix the machine and then extract it from her body....really?

Still a lot of fun.

Don't get me started. When I was watching FF6 in the theater, I couldn't avoid thinking that the runway was impossibly long. Since then, people have calculated that it has to be around 26 miles. The entire franchise has to be taking place in some alternate universe where the speed of light is low enough that relativistic effects start happening at highway speeds.

The scene where The Rock fell down the building 3 times, each time going about 3 or 4 stories caused me to laugh out loud in the theater.

In a series riddled with bad physics, somehow this jumped out at me. Maybe it's because at that point I'd already turned on the movie due to the "banter".