The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Catch All

maverickz wrote:

All I have left now is the One Hit Obliterator quest and killing Gannon.

There's a good bit of content in the Obliterator quest line if you feel like putting off Ganon for a little while longer!

Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

All I have left now is the One Hit Obliterator quest and killing Gannon.

There's a good bit of content in the Obliterator quest line if you feel like putting off Ganon for a little while longer! :)

That's my plan. I'm not too sure what exactly is in that quest line, but I know there's a lot. So my next step is that and then at the very very end, kill Gannon. As I understand it, there's no post-ending gameplay.

maverickz wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

All I have left now is the One Hit Obliterator quest and killing Gannon.

There's a good bit of content in the Obliterator quest line if you feel like putting off Ganon for a little while longer! :)

That's my plan. I'm not too sure what exactly is in that quest line, but I know there's a lot. So my next step is that and then at the very very end, kill Gannon. As I understand it, there's no post-ending gameplay.

It's kinda set up so that once you've left the Great Plateau you can take on Ganon as soon or as late as you'd like. Like you, I did as much as I could before I faced him, so I only had little bits to do afterwards. The Obliterator quest might help with Ganon but it wouldn't be a necessity that you do it first either.

Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

All I have left now is the One Hit Obliterator quest and killing Gannon.

There's a good bit of content in the Obliterator quest line if you feel like putting off Ganon for a little while longer! :)

That's my plan. I'm not too sure what exactly is in that quest line, but I know there's a lot. So my next step is that and then at the very very end, kill Gannon. As I understand it, there's no post-ending gameplay.

It's kinda set up so that once you've left the Great Plateau you can take on Ganon as soon or as late as you'd like. Like you, I did as much as I could before I faced him, so I only had little bits to do afterwards. The Obliterator quest might help with Ganon but it wouldn't be a necessity that you do it first either.

I have a thing. I try to 100% all the Zelda games I play, I don't do this with most others. Zelda is a kind of special case for me, so I want to experience it all.

maverickz wrote:

I have a thing. I try to 100% all the Zelda games I play, I don't do this with most others. Zelda is a kind of special case for me, so I want to experience it all.

I'm exactly the same. It's probably the only franchise that I'm like that with. Are you planning on hunting down all the Korok seeds?

Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I have a thing. I try to 100% all the Zelda games I play, I don't do this with most others. Zelda is a kind of special case for me, so I want to experience it all.

I'm exactly the same. It's probably the only franchise that I'm like that with. Are you planning on hunting down all the Korok seeds? :)

Oh no! I'm not crazy! I found all the octopus babies in Link Between Worlds, but 900 seeds just seems unreasonable. I've got the Korok mask, but even then, I still have 700 left to find. I don't have time or motivation for that even in a Zelda game.

maverickz wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I have a thing. I try to 100% all the Zelda games I play, I don't do this with most others. Zelda is a kind of special case for me, so I want to experience it all.

I'm exactly the same. It's probably the only franchise that I'm like that with. Are you planning on hunting down all the Korok seeds? :)

Oh no! I'm not crazy! I found all the octopus babies in Link Between Worlds, but 900 seeds just seems unreasonable. I've got the Korok mask, but even then, I still have 700 left to find. I don't have time or motivation for that even in a Zelda game.

Especially since the reward is... well... funny.... insulting... not worth it.

Citizen86 wrote:
maverickz wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I have a thing. I try to 100% all the Zelda games I play, I don't do this with most others. Zelda is a kind of special case for me, so I want to experience it all.

I'm exactly the same. It's probably the only franchise that I'm like that with. Are you planning on hunting down all the Korok seeds? :)

Oh no! I'm not crazy! I found all the octopus babies in Link Between Worlds, but 900 seeds just seems unreasonable. I've got the Korok mask, but even then, I still have 700 left to find. I don't have time or motivation for that even in a Zelda game.

Especially since the reward is... well... funny.... insulting... not worth it.

Aw, well crap!

My wife: what's that music you're listening to?

Me: the Zelda BotW main theme

My wife (who has beaten Gannon+all shrines on both normal and master mode): ........ nope, doesn't ring a bell

Me: [surprised pikachu]

Well, it does barely play in the game. I mostly know it from the promo materials and the soundtrack included with my copy of the game. I don't even recall where in the game it plays.

maverickz wrote:

Oh no! I'm not crazy! I found all the octopus babies in Link Between Worlds, but 900 seeds just seems unreasonable. I've got the Korok mask, but even then, I still have 700 left to find. I don't have time or motivation for that even in a Zelda game.

I kinda see the Korok Seeds as being similar to Gold Skullrula; it's useful to get a certain amount of them, but beyond that there's very little benefit.

That being said...my Normal save file does have all 900 of them... I guess the difference is that when I was playing BOTW, it was the only game I owned on Switch.

I think there's music on the main title screen. But you don't get the main title screen when you boot the game up for the first time, and the Switch is great about suspending and resuming games, so it's possible to play quite a bit of BotW without seeing it...

ccesarano wrote:

Well, it does barely play in the game. I mostly know it from the promo materials and the soundtrack included with my copy of the game. I don't even recall where in the game it plays.

It recurs here and there - e.g. when you first walk out of the resurrection shrine, and throughout the final Gannon fight (the outdoor bit). I think a couple of other places. I could be high but I think it also gets quoted here and there in the other songs (bits of melody or chords I mean, not the whole theme).

Stevintendo wrote:

That being said...my Normal save file does have all 900 of them...

IMAGE(https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.b77cce39713f0c9849f09e2226d87956&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.tenor.co%2fimages%2fb77cce39713f0c9849f09e2226d87956%2fraw&ehk=zqlt2%2bZxUoW1Nzuc%2bY1qFg)

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:

That being said...my Normal save file does have all 900 of them...

IMAGE(https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.b77cce39713f0c9849f09e2226d87956&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.tenor.co%2fimages%2fb77cce39713f0c9849f09e2226d87956%2fraw&ehk=zqlt2%2bZxUoW1Nzuc%2bY1qFg)

Someone needs to pay more attention to my sig...

Does Breath of the Wild have a new game plus concept? I’m nearing the end myself and I’m haunted by the fact that I created a second profile for a second save long before the online service was announced.

Now this save seems determined to be stuck on this profile and I’m hoping I don’t miss out on any features should I play through it again.

DSGamer wrote:

Does Breath of the Wild have a new game plus concept?

If you've bought the DLC then you can play Master Mode (aka Hard Mode). It has a separate save file to Normal Mode. Enemies are tougher, their health regens, and it's harder to be stealthy.

Stevintendo wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Does Breath of the Wild have a new game plus concept?

If you've bought the DLC then you can play Master Mode (aka Hard Mode). It has a separate save file to Normal Mode. Enemies are tougher, their health regens, and it's harder to be stealthy.

Okay. Could I play Master Mode on my other profile? Meaning does any gear or hearts or whatever carry over?

DSGamer wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Does Breath of the Wild have a new game plus concept?

If you've bought the DLC then you can play Master Mode (aka Hard Mode). It has a separate save file to Normal Mode. Enemies are tougher, their health regens, and it's harder to be stealthy.

Okay. Could I play Master Mode on my other profile? Meaning does any gear or hearts or whatever carry over?

No, nothing caries over. You start from scratch, just like in Normal Mode. It's only the enemies that start with an advantage.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if you can start Master Mode without having beaten Ganon in Normal Mode... It wasn't released till after I'd beaten him so I don't know.

Required stealth sections of this game can just go straight to hell. Particularly the ones in the Yiga hideout. Whoever came up with them is a monster.

And also the people that came up with the "apparatus" puzzles can join them.

maverickz wrote:

Required stealth sections of this game can just go straight to hell. Particularly the ones in the Yiga hideout. Whoever came up with them is a monster.

And also the people that came up with the "apparatus" puzzles can join them.

About the Yiga hideout... you're not quite as helpless there as other video games have trained you to believe you are. Though to be fair, you're also not as helpless as the consequences of discovery make you believe you are. That's definitely a rough patch in the game, but it's nowhere near as bad as it first seems.

Spoiler:

Even though the Yiga enemies are super tough if they spot you, they all die to a single sneak strike. That makes managing the section a lot easier.

I'm sure you're 100% right, but so little of how the stealth works is communicated, at lest for me. I have the gauge, but it was pretty useless. And you can't tell which guard is walking where if you only see one, and their sight radius is large. The whole system is not great. Somehow I was able to grab the ball and run out without being seen, which also is not a great sign of the stealth system. But at least it's done now.

Vargen wrote:

About the Yiga hideout... you're not quite as helpless there as other video games have trained you to believe you are. Though to be fair, you're also not as helpless as the consequences of discovery make you believe you are. That's definitely a rough patch in the game, but it's nowhere near as bad as it first seems.

Spoiler:

Even though the Yiga enemies are super tough if they spot you, they all die to a single sneak strike. That makes managing the section a lot easier.

I had no idea! That's a great tip!

On the other hand, I do like the whole treasure map stuff with the DLC shrines. Where they literally show you a picture of a location on the monuments. I really enjoy that kind of in-game information dumps, rather than placing a dot on your actual map (at least for some things). It's a nice bit of immersion.

Finally finished Ballad of Champions, really enjoyed everything except for the motion puzzle garbage.

Spoiler:

The Master Cycle is all kind of awesome. Now that I finally have it I don’t think I’ll even bother with the unique horses I had tamed. Sorry Epona and Sampson, Link will be riding a hog in style from now on!

Glycerine wrote:

Finally finished Ballad of Champions, really enjoyed everything except for the motion puzzle garbage.

Spoiler:

The Master Cycle is all kind of awesome. Now that I finally have it I don’t think I’ll even bother with the unique horses I had tamed. Sorry Epona and Sampson, Link will be riding a hog in style from now on!

The damn thing can do spins in place! And wheelies!

So here we are, two years have passed since BOTW's release, and 21 (?) months since the first DLC pack came out, and as of today, I have FINALLY beaten the Beginning Trials in Trial of the Sword on Master Mode...

I realised a little while ago that it was bothering me that I'd never beaten it (despite many many attempts), so I decided that this time I was gonna keep at it till I got it.

I've only beaten the Beginning Trials, but I'm finding that so encouraging. I struggled with them for so long and now I feel like I can actually do this. My memory of Normal Mode is that the first set of trials took me a lot more attempts than the second or third, so I'm hoping the same is true in Master Mode.

Wish me luck, I really need it!

Stevintendo wrote:

Wish me luck, I really need it!

You got it. Luck at ya.

I tried the trials once (normal mode) when I first got it, thought it was pretty cool, but haven't gone back to it. I really should.

-BEP

bepnewt wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:

Wish me luck, I really need it!

You got it. Luck at ya.

I tried the trials once (normal mode) when I first got it, thought it was pretty cool, but haven't gone back to it. I really should.

-BEP

Your luck was a big help! I can't believe I'm saying this already, but I've now completed the first two sets of trials on Master Mode! It took more attempts than I could guess at to beat the Beginning Trials, and then I beat the Middle Trials a day later!

Here's hoping the Final Trials are closer in difficulty to the second set than the first!

I'd recommend spending more time with the Trials BEP, there's a great sense of satisfaction when you beat them. They're no joke in Normal Mode either.

Also, more wishes of good luck would be greatly appreciated. Not that I'm superstitious or anything......

Ok... Now I just feel like an eejit for big-ing up my journey through Trial of the Sword so much... I went straight into the Final Trials after the Middle ones and ended up beating it on my first try. So turns out I was right to think that the Beginning ones would be the hardest. I've made a number of attempts to beat the Beginning Trials and always gave up because I wasn't making progress. In the last week alone I put 10-15 hours into the them before I finally beat them. Then I beat the Middle and Final Trials in about four hours... Anyway, it doesn't take from the sense of achievement that I get from having finally done them. In my experience, these Trials in Master Mode are as hard as Zelda gets. (Apart from maybe Zelda II without save states...) I'm really proud of myself for having gotten through them, and running around Master Mode with a permanently powered-up Master Sword is awesome!

Now I just need to get all the medals for beating all the mini-boss, collect ~750 mode Korok seeds, get all the horse gear, get some more amiibo gear, and visit all the discoverable locations......

Here's some random ramblings about why the Beginning Trials and so hard compared to the other two in Master Mode for anyone who's interested.

Spoiler: Trial of the Sword and Master Mode

So I've been thinking about this a lot, because the obvious thing would be for the trials to get progressively harder, especially on Master Mode. So why did I have the opposite experience?

I think the first reason relates to the way they made Master Mode more difficult. The two biggest changes from Normal Mode are that most - but not all - enemies get upgraded to the next difficulty level, and almost all enemies can regenerate their health - sometimes at very fast speeds. Mix these two changes with the fact that weapons only have so much durability, and you find that it's significantly harder to take down most enemies. I'm emphasising most a lot here because there are significant exceptions to this rule. For example, all the different varieties of Guardians stay the same. There are no "Gold Guardians" in Master Mode. Likewise, anything with "Stal" in its name is just as easy to beat (apart from the Stalnox; it can regenerate both its body and eye). On a related note, if you're killing enemies based on an elemental weakness (Fire Lizalfos, Ice Wizzrobe, etc.), or drowning them (bokoblins and moblins), or knocking them off a ledge into lava/oblivion, OR (and this is a big one) killing them with an Ancient Arrow, then the upgraded difficulty of Master Mode has no effect. Oh yeah, and all the varieties of Talos are pretty much the same level of difficulty in Master Mode; you just need to make sure they don't heal and then there's no real difference.

Bringing all of this back to my question... The Beginning Trials are full of enemies that are harder in Master Mode than Normal Mode. I might be forgetting something, but I think that apart from the Stone Talos, every single enemy is harder to beat in Master Mode. If you look at the Middle Trials, there are a lot more examples of enemies that are just as easy to kill in Master Mode. And going through the Final Trials, a huge chunk of the enemies are no more difficult in Master Mode than Normal. The first few rooms are all Stal-enemies that can be taken out with two bombs, there are lots of elemental enemies (and the game gives you elemental weapons before you meet them), there are lots of Guardians, AND you get nine Ancient Arrows, meaning that you don't have to worry about the nine most difficult enemies. (...cough...Lynels...cough...)

Tldr: The jump in difficulty has a relatively bigger impact on the Beginning Trials compared to the other two sets, with the Final Trials being effected the least by the changes.

So that's one half of the theory. The other is that Nintendo wanted the first set to have the steepest learning curve, regardless of which mode you're playing. I think the trials are designed in a way that anyone who's capable of beating the Beginning Trials will also be capable of beating the other two. Going through the Middle Trials, I had arrows coming out of my ears, whereas I never felt like I had more than enough of anything in the first set. Then you get to the Final Trials and the game gives you a set of elemental weapons that effectively removes any challenge from a number of enemies in the coming elemental-themed rooms. For example, elemental weapons mean that the Igneo and Frost Talos are both easier to beat than the Stone Talos you face in like the fifth room of the Beginning Trials. Lastly, the game gives you nine Ancient Arrows. My maths might be wrong here...but that's enough to one-hit-kill all the Lynels, Stalker Guardians, Flying Guardings, and either the Turret Guardians or the highest difficult enemies depending on your preference. That's a lot of the difficulty from the last few rooms just gone with nine arrows and a bow of any strength.

So, I think the intention is that once you raise your skill level enough to beat the first set of trials, then you shouldn't struggle as much with anything that follows. To be really specific, I feel like anyone who can make it through the two rooms with three of four Lizalfos in the Beginning Trials can handle everything else that the Trials throw at them. Especially in Master Mode, those things are fast enough that they can be hard to hit and they regenerate health at a crazy speed.

Where was I...? Oh yeah, Breath of the Wild is still amazing, Master Mode is amazing, and Trial of the Sword is amazing. I love this game.