That One Game You Have Never Played But Always Wanted To

fangblackbone wrote:

I did the same thing with Dishonored, Rykin. I fumbled at trying to play it the "right" way and ended up frustratingly killing almost everyone I encountered in the first hour. Then I put it back on the shelf and haven't touched it since.

Actually I did that with that game as well.

Rykin wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

I did the same thing with Dishonored, Rykin. I fumbled at trying to play it the "right" way and ended up frustratingly killing almost everyone I encountered in the first hour. Then I put it back on the shelf and haven't touched it since.

Actually I did that with that game as well.

Lesson learned: you don't actually like no-kill stealth runs?

Because I become drunk with power ;P
Seriously I would be the worst sneak because I couldn't help but giggle when no one could see me.

Metal Wolf Chaos. I don't even know if it's good, but that OXM demo was so tantalizingly ridiculous I still think about that game.

I did try Crusader Kings II, so it's no longer valid for this thread, but yes I bounced off it like an ant attacking a creme brulee, never to pierce its overwhelmingly fiddly caramel crust and experience the amazing emergent custard locked beneath. Although I picked Galich to start in, since my paternal side is Galician, so that custard was mostly Mongols. I'm too soft for a game of CKII.

IMAGE(http://texascosplayphotography.cardwellphotollc.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/mars-attacks-nicholson-get-along.gif)

ClockworkHouse wrote:

no-kill stealth run

That's the name of my synthwave band I have never started but always wanted to.

b12n11w00t wrote:
Farscry wrote:

Steel Battalion with that awesome custom controller.

100% this. I always wanted it, but it came out when I was still a kid so you better believe my mother scoffed when I mentioned it.

I was a functioning adult by then, and rather wanted the game, but I scoffed when I mentioned it. That was just too much money for a single game.

Cool topic. And RDR was really fun, although I never got close to finishing it. Maybe I should put it in this month's pile.

EVE.

Oh I remembered another one: Omega Boost. It was a very anime inspired mech combat game on the PSone made by the same developers as Gran Turismo. I have only seen one copy of it in the wild.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Crusader Kings 2. I've owned a copy for ages, but it wouldn't run on any of my laptops. It now runs on my Surface, but my interest and enthusiasm for the game has slowly waned to a dread of how much time it'll take and how complex it'll be. It's such a fun game to read about people playing, so I've always wanted to play it myself, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

This is me and EU4.

fangblackbone wrote:

I did the same thing with Dishonored, Rykin. I fumbled at trying to play it the "right" way and ended up frustratingly killing almost everyone I encountered in the first hour. Then I put it back on the shelf and haven't touched it since.

This was me and Dishonored. Last year I decided to play a high-chaos run. Much quicker, and I actually finished the game.

Mass Effect 2.
Everybody loves it. I played the first one years ago and loved it. Even the Mako didn't bother me.I have a copy in my Steam library. The Elder Scrolls and RDR are also on the list. Hell, most of my library is on this list. I spend more time thinking about what to play and buying titles I've "always wanted to play" than I do actually playing.

It used to be Freespace 2. I wanted to play that game so much. Kept checking eBay, eventually a copy turned up that still came in the original box and didn't cost a extortionate amount either. Bidded a little more than I could really afford at the time, nervously watched the timer count down, got it for less than I had bidded for it. Arrived a week later, spent an evening figuring out how to configure my system to get it work, and loved it.

Of course two years later it was available for pittance on gog.com. Ho hum.

Now it's probably planetscape: torment. I'll pick it up eventually on gog but damned if I know when I'll get round to it.

I think my two big games I always wanted to play but never had the opportunity to would be Eternal Darkness and Shenmue. I realize that neither game would probably hold up all that well in 2016, but I would still love to check them out because the concepts were always so interesting to me at the time.

Eternal Darkness is still pretty great. I replayed some of it in 2014 and still enjoyed it.

Mass Effect 3

Stele wrote:

Eternal Darkness is still pretty great. I replayed some of it in 2014 and still enjoyed it.

On the flipside of that, I played it in 2009 or so and found it to be archaic and tedious. There are some really neat ideas there, but it played like a clunky PSOne game with fancier graphics. For a game with so much combat, the gunplay is incredibly frustrating, with enemies that are hard to hit or even see who nonetheless can shoot you from offscreen.

It was a game I really, really wanted to like but just couldn't.

Rykin wrote:
fangblackbone wrote:

I did the same thing with Dishonored, Rykin. I fumbled at trying to play it the "right" way and ended up frustratingly killing almost everyone I encountered in the first hour. Then I put it back on the shelf and haven't touched it since.

Actually I did that with that game as well.

You probably SHOULD go ahead and kill almost everyone on your first run through the game, saving a stealth run for a second playthrough. The writing for the high chaos is as good or better than the low chaos one; although you are ostensibly "punished" with more enemies, you also get better tools to deal with them. (The game seems to adjust some of your rewards based on your playstyle.)

It's also exceptionally difficult to be stealthy in your first attempt at the beginning section, as you are both learning the mechanics and have not yet gotten the powers that make it easier.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Stele wrote:

Eternal Darkness is still pretty great. I replayed some of it in 2014 and still enjoyed it.

On the flipside of that, I played it in 2009 or so and found it to be archaic and tedious. There are some really neat ideas there, but it played like a clunky PSOne game with fancier graphics. For a game with so much combat, the gunplay is incredibly frustrating, with enemies that are hard to hit or even see who nonetheless can shoot you from offscreen.

It was a game I really, really wanted to like but just couldn't.

I remember Eternal Darkness having kind of a reverse difficulty curve, where one of the more difficult portions was near the beginning. One of the first characters has a blowgun that you can accidentally break if you do the wrong thing, making her section very difficult. I don't think there's a clear indication that you can save this valuable weapon, but, you can. Once you get past that (IMHO poor design decision) it gets better.

On the other hand, this is a game much more about atmosphere and story than mechanics. From what I've gathered of your tastes, Clock, I don't think you'd grow to like it as the actual gameplay remains a little simplistic and dated.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Stele wrote:

Eternal Darkness is still pretty great. I replayed some of it in 2014 and still enjoyed it.

On the flipside of that, I played it in 2009 or so and found it to be archaic and tedious. There are some really neat ideas there, but it played like a clunky PSOne game with fancier graphics. For a game with so much combat, the gunplay is incredibly frustrating, with enemies that are hard to hit or even see who nonetheless can shoot you from offscreen.

It was a game I really, really wanted to like but just couldn't.

I'm with Clocky on this one. I played it around 2010 and it was abysmal. But I often find it hard to "go back" - time isn't kind to games, and I often struggle to get over the interface and controls issues that have since been solved with much more elegant solutions.

I watched some of Eternal Darkness as a friends roommate was playing it and it looked interesting in some of the meta things it did and the story but the actual game-play didn't look that great.

One just popped in my head. I never even got to see it running in anything other than a video: Power Stone. It seemed like such an awesome game and i had so many opportunities to play Dreamcast games.

An old SNES APRG game called Marvelous that was developed by Nintendo and directed by Eiji Aonuma (the current head of the Zelda series). Marvelous is what would happen if Link to the Past and The Lost Vikings had a baby. A 1995/1996 issue of Nintendo Power had a big write up about the game prior to it's North American release and I was super excited to play the game. Unfortunately the game's NA release was quietly cancelled and the game has never been released outside of Japan.

Here we are twenty years later and we have no VC release, no completed translation patch, no port, and no remake. The game remains confined to Japan and my desire to play the game remains as strong as ever. I just hope I'll get the chance to play it before I die.

Gravey wrote:

Metal Wolf Chaos. I don't even know if it's good, but that OXM demo was so tantalizingly ridiculous I still think about that game.

Basically the first thing to come to my head as well.

For the most part I've played so much and continue to play so much that I don't really feel like I'm missing out. There are games I'm interested in or curious about but never get around to, but I don't really have a "That One Game" because there's always something equally interesting to occupy my time.

Or perhaps it's more accurate to say "That One Game" is always rotating based on the immediacy of a release. Right now, I'm really thinking I should have gone with Doom instead of Homefront: The Revolution. This time the underdog has truly failed me.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. It sounds so great, but there simply isn't a board game group around that I know of.

Mafia II and LA Noire - I keep putting both of these off, as I want to drown myself in them, but the time commitment is daunting. I dabbled in Mafia II for about 45 minutes and loved that time, but just haven't gone back. I imagine the same thing will happen when Mafia III rolls around; the original Mafia is one of my favorite experiences in gaming.

Cancelled games: BC for XBox looked really intriguing.

Djinn wrote:

Here we are twenty years later and we have no VC release, no completed translation patch, no port, and no remake.

I thought the addendum patch to translate the handful of graphics that weren't in English was released or nearly complete?

AUs_TBirD wrote:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. It sounds so great, but there simply isn't a board game group around that I know of.

Any gaming conventions that you could go to? That's where I played a lot of board games that I would have never had a chance to do otherwise, including BG:TBG (which was a lot of fun, btw).

Malor wrote:
b12n11w00t wrote:
Farscry wrote:

Steel Battalion with that awesome custom controller.

100% this. I always wanted it, but it came out when I was still a kid so you better believe my mother scoffed when I mentioned it.

I was a functioning adult by then, and rather wanted the game, but I scoffed when I mentioned it. That was just too much money for a single game.

I had a rich friend in high school that had this. It was devilishly hard and really, not a great game. That being said, it was still super fun to use the controller and the pedals. There were switches and dials for everything! I'd happily buy and play an updated version of that game. Can you imagine an online based game with those things, talk about player skill mattering.

Doing some quick googling it looks like the cheapest it is now available is $320, used. It was $200 in 2002 and adjusted for inflation that is $265. I've got a lot more money than 2002-me, but I can't see myself spending that type of cash even today.

Rykin wrote:

I watched some of Eternal Darkness as a friends roommate was playing it and it looked interesting in some of the meta things it did and the story but the actual game-play didn't look that great.

I almost beat it back in the day, but even then most of the sanity effects came off as lame. I can't imagine how cheesy they'd look nowadays. Still, it was a great Lovecraftian game with some otherwise neat ideas.

jrralls wrote:

Any gaming conventions that you could go to? That's where I played a lot of board games that I would have never had a chance to do otherwise, including BG:TBG (which was a lot of fun, btw).

Honestly, I've never checked. If I had to venture a guess, the closest one would be about an hour away.

jrralls wrote:

Doing some quick googling it looks like the cheapest it is now available is $320, used. It was $200 in 2002 and adjusted for inflation that is $265. I've got a lot more money than 2002-me, but I can't see myself spending that type of cash even today.

I got mine brand new off ebay soon after release for $160. The seller even commented "I figured this was going to go for more..." :p

Running Man wrote:
Rykin wrote:

...Eternal Darkness...

I almost beat it back in the day, but even then most of the sanity effects came off as lame. I can't imagine how cheesy they'd look nowadays. Still, it was a great Lovecraftian game with some otherwise neat ideas.

I got about 80% of the way through one playthrough before stalling out/getting distracted, even though I did enjoy it a good bit. Finding out that in order to get the true ending, I'd have to play through THREE TIMES! ...didn't help my motivation. One or two of the sanity effects even got me.

Oh jeez how could I forget a couple of big ones. The N64 was the last Nintendo system I owned so I have played any of the Mario or Zelda or Metroid games since then. Wind Waker is a big regret. I don't regret missing any of the ones that required motion controls though. What little I played of Mario Galaxy the motion controls bugged the hell out of me because they felt unneeded since the didn't even match the onscreen action.

I sometimes wish I had jumped in on World of Warcraft. I had just left high school. I was single. I only had a weekend job, whilst later I was unemployed. It was the online game of my generation in a way, and I missed it entirely. I couldn't come up with that amount of free time now if I tried.

I refused to pay a subscription fee. Never have I outside of PS Plus, which thankfully has provided games I'd have otherwise never experienced. I remember thinking that I pay for my internet service. I pay for a gaming platform. I pay for a game. To then be expected to pay for the privilege to play was hilarious. I went and played Guild Wars instead. On one hand WoW never appealed to me all that much, but I'll always wonder about the social aspect.

Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past. I had (and loved) a Sega Mega Drive, thus these games were out of my reach. I recently got F-Zero on the Virtual Console and enjoyed it immensely. I hope to do the same with that holy trinity.

Another is X-Men 2: Clone Wars, on the Mega Drive. I'm looking into getting a copy on eBay. X-Men and 2D gaming goodness? Yes, please.

I wished I had played Condemned 2. The combat looked right up my alley. I was also into dark and gritty at that time.

The Division is the most up to date pondering I would have. The shooting looks good. The team work aspects seem to be important. It doesn't pull me in, though, for everything I have seen.

Planescape: Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and Half-Life 2. I own them all. They remain unplayed. I've always wanted to play them. What is this paradox.

Deus Ex: Invisible War. It's as if I lived in a world where this never existed. I remember hearing about it. I remember it was coming out. Then bam it's like 10 years later and I'm all "Oh! Yeah. How did I miss that one..." whilst browsing GOG one day.