At the suggestion of GodzillaBlitz, I've decided to create a catch all for us crazy game designers/creators. Post what you're working on, ask for help, ask for second opinions, vent etc.
I'm also going to list out a bunch of resources in this post. Feel free to post stuff you'd like me to add, I'm sadly deficient in art and music resources.
- Open Game Art
- Oryx Design Lab
- sculptris free 3D sculpting
- blender open source 3d modeling an animation (albeit an arguably steep learning curve)
- Krita open source 2d paint program
- Mischief: $25 painting program (that may someday have sculpting as one of its member is the creator of Sculptris)
- 3D Coat (sculpting, 3d painting, UV,retopo, PBR) indie version $99 (sometimes $75 during steam sale)
- Spine - For 2d animation (not free)
- Alchemy is good for quick concepting and procedural fun.
- Hexels 2 is also fun, for a not-quite-8-bit art style.
- Maya LT (Not full-blown Autodesk Maya, this one's much cheaper and tailored for indies, with some caveats)
- ZBrush (Same owners as Sculptris, this is professional sculpting software that's got a bit of a learning curve to the UI but it feels like no other sculpting package I've ever used)
- Substance Painter (Texture painting software geared towards Physically-Based Rendering)
- Substance Designer (Cool procedural texturing/shader development software from same folks as Substance Painter)
- Silo (Barebones poly modeling package with some great tools for retopology and UV layout)
- Shade - Shader creation on iOS. Paid options for exporting to either Codea and Unity 3D.
- GIMP - Open source and free Photoshop alternative (I can’t believe we forgot this one all this time!).
- Game Icons- Free icons for games, super useful for prototyping
- Deled CE - Simple 3D modeler. Web demo
- Coppercube 6 - Basic edition is free. It is also on Steam. Easy prototyping for 3D games (3rd and 1st person). Easy scripting. Pro version available for $$.
- Armor Paint - ArmorPaint is a stand-alone software designed for physically-based texture painting. Drag & drop your 3D models and start painting. Receive instant visual feedback in the viewport as you paint.
- CraftPix - free resources and paid ones, even a subscription option.
- Kay Lousberg - Game Assets - Similar to Kenney, this guy have some free resources, in particular his latest dungeon pack is REALLY good.
Other online resources
HacknPlan - Free Kanban boarding for unlimited people.
CodinGame - A site for honing programming skills with game based challenges. Also has AI challenges and a whole host of other things.
GameDev Market - Assets both free and paid.
Gamers With Jobs