At the suggestion of GodzillaBlitz, I've decided to create a catch all for us crazy game designers/creators. Post what you're working on, ask for help, ask for second opinions, vent etc.
I'm also going to list out a bunch of resources in this post. Feel free to post stuff you'd like me to add, I'm sadly deficient in art and music resources.
- Amazon Lumberyard
- RPGMaker MV
- GameMaker (on Steam)
- Quest (text adventure engine)
- Construct 2 (on Steam)
- AppGameKit (on Steam)
- GameGuru (on Steam)
- Adventure Game Studio
- Inkle Writer for text adventures
- Corona 2D game engine
- Libgdx - For Java/Android
- Spring: free 3D RTS engine
- Godot Engine
- Codea - iOS, Lua based.
- Pythonista - iOS, Python 2 (3 is in beta)
- Magnum - Reddit Discussion
- Ren'Py which is a Visual Novel engine that uses Python scripting.
- Clickteam Fusion 2.5
- The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses
- Introduction to Game Design, Prototyping and Development
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- Game Programming Patterns
- Rules of Play
- A Theory of Fun
- Open Game Art
- Oryx Design Lab
- sculptris free 3D sculpting
- blender open source 3d modeling an animation (albeit an arguably steep learning curve)
- Krita open source 2d paint program
- Mischief: $25 painting program (that may someday have sculpting as one of its member is the creator of Sculptris)
- 3D Coat (sculpting, 3d painting, UV,retopo, PBR) indie version $99 (sometimes $75 during steam sale)
- Spine - For 2d animation (not free)
- Alchemy is good for quick concepting and procedural fun.
- Hexels 2 is also fun, for a not-quite-8-bit art style.
- Maya LT (Not full-blown Autodesk Maya, this one's much cheaper and tailored for indies, with some caveats)
- ZBrush (Same owners as Sculptris, this is professional sculpting software that's got a bit of a learning curve to the UI but it feels like no other sculpting package I've ever used)
- Substance Painter (Texture painting software geared towards Physically-Based Rendering)
- Substance Designer (Cool procedural texturing/shader development software from same folks as Substance Painter)
- Silo (Barebones poly modeling package with some great tools for retopology and UV layout)
- PICO-8 is a cool little 8-bit console/game engine for making tiny NES-like games and programs. From the same guy that brought you Voxatron!
Other online resources
HacknPlan - Free Kanban boarding for unlimited people. In Beta
Gamers With Jobs