Star Wars Misc. Catch-All

Pages

thrawn82 wrote:

i think it's safe to say that my love of star wars is the move of the setting and not the characters. The expanded universe, the roleplay, that first MMO that was so hardcore on star wars cannon they wouldn't let you be a jedi, the tv series like Rebels and the side plots if Clone Wars that don't center around the "main" characters.

Just look at your Avatar and my name (and usual Avatar). There's a reason TIE Fighter is still my favorite PC game of all time.

RawkGWJ wrote:

I love all of the new movies. I love some more than others. There’s no such thing as a perfect movie, so I have no problem overlooking certain details in the new material that might seem awkward.

Apparently many fans are pissed that Luke didn’t come back as a godlike superman. I wasn’t expecting Luke to take on the entire first order with a laser sword. To me that sounds like a boring movie. Last Jedi is my favorite of the new stuff. Once again, not a perfect movie, but damn did it deliver!

in
Not to turn this into a TLJ thread, but there was such a shock from "head-canon" for a lot of people's Luke (the culmination of the Hero's Journey) and what ultimately happened to the character (In self-exile as his friends die and the galaxy falls back into what he helped stop) that it was... I don't know the word. Shocking. I liked the movie and I applaud the bold choice he made, but I'd be lying if I denied there was a part of me that wanted the fan-service and more of a traditional happy ending.

The analogy is they're doing a post-TNG show on CBS All Access... I'm going to feel the same way if (when), the Federation is in deep s*** and Picard is sitting on a planet, Riker's dead and he's like "F---" it, you know?

Happy 20 year anniversary to the greatest Star Wars product: The Trailer for the Phantom Menace!

Teen Iridium was HYPED... seeing the double-lightsaber was a holy bleep in the movie theater for me...

Did anyone here buy a Meet Joe Black ticket to see the trailer? Half of that box office was because of this freakin trailer.

Iridium884 wrote:

The analogy is they're doing a post-TNG show on CBS All Access... I'm going to feel the same way if (when), the Federation is in deep s*** and Picard is sitting on a planet, Riker's dead and he's like "F---" it, you know?

Off-topic: What I'm reading is their approach to that series is that "Picard is the hero we need right now," so I'd be surprised if we saw Picard, The Bitter Old Hermit, which I'm grateful for. (I say that having loved the direction Johnson took Luke in for TLJ.)

On-topic: That TPM trailer was always baller and exhibit A in my life that a trailer's quality isn't the same as the movie's quality. (For me, and bear in mind it was 1990, Exhibit B was The Exorcist III.)

I’m consistently amused at the number of people talk about how much material there is to mine, the thousands of years before the movies that have been made and extended universe afterwards - and contrasting that with the fact that all the movies that exist are packed into the same 70-odd year time period.

Iridium884 wrote:
RawkGWJ wrote:

I love all of the new movies. I love some more than others. There’s no such thing as a perfect movie, so I have no problem overlooking certain details in the new material that might seem awkward.

Apparently many fans are pissed that Luke didn’t come back as a godlike superman. I wasn’t expecting Luke to take on the entire first order with a laser sword. To me that sounds like a boring movie. Last Jedi is my favorite of the new stuff. Once again, not a perfect movie, but damn did it deliver!

in
Not to turn this into a TLJ thread, but there was such a shock from "head-canon" for a lot of people's Luke (the culmination of the Hero's Journey) and what ultimately happened to the character (In self-exile as his friends die and the galaxy falls back into what he helped stop) that it was... I don't know the word. Shocking. I liked the movie and I applaud the bold choice he made, but I'd be lying if I denied there was a part of me that wanted the fan-service and more of a traditional happy ending.

The analogy is they're doing a post-TNG show on CBS All Access... I'm going to feel the same way if (when), the Federation is in deep s*** and Picard is sitting on a planet, Riker's dead and he's like "F---" it, you know?

Ok. But the “hero’s journey” is a juvenile male power fantasy. It’s usually an orphaned male child who suddenly discovers that god is his dad, which explains why he has always been just a little better at everything than other people. And since he’s a demi-god he now has magical powers. Which inevitably leads you to the part where the orphan boy discoverers that “only He can save the universe.” *gasp*

Sounds pretty familiar. Jesus. Moses. Anakin S. Luke S. Hercules. Perseus. Thor. Superman. Rae. The list goes on.

So TFA does take us on another hero’s journey but now the orphan is a girl rather than a boy. So Abrams flipped the script slightly. But the macguffin of TFA is still a hero’s journey.

A very common event in the hero’s journey is where the orphan has to seek the ancient mystic to gain the hidden knowledge that further unlocks his hidden powers so he will be powerful enough to complete his quest and save the universe. In TOT, Obi Wan is the mystic father figure that Luke has always longed for. In TLJ, Luke is the mystic father figure, but now they flip the script again, because Luke refuses to fulfill that role.

But I disagree with your Picard analogy. For one thing, Picard was never on a hero’s journey. Picard is a different archetype altogether. He’s the wise patriarch and great leader of people. And if you give a little thought to Luke’s plight, you might remember that before he became a Jedi like his father before him, he was a whiny little sourpuss. And in TLJ, Luke has simply reverted to his lesser form. He stomps around with his lower lip jutting out, refusing to talk to anyone. So they didn’t go completely off the rails there.

And this is where it gets interesting. Because Luke’s role gets morphed into “the prodigal son” returning to his family.

Ok. I gtg. I didn’t expect to get dragged along into this epic journey...

And, discuss.

I remember my band director downloading the trailer on quicktime and a bunch of us watching it over and over talking about how amazing it was going to be.

Star Wars Resistance Season 1 - Mid-Season Trailer (Official)

WHAT!!! Was that from Episode 7?!! Is it catching up to the movies? I assumed no connections, just close in timeline.

I was under the impression it was telling the back story to Episode VII, which the movie didn't do at all and was worse for it.

Edit: Nvm, misunderstood your post!

Finally got around to watching Solo, and it was pretty dang good. I didn't believe Aiden whatshisface was Harrison Ford's Han Solo at all, but once I sort of internally classified it as an alternate reality, I really liked it.

Did people hate that movie? I can't keep track of these things.

kazooka wrote:

Finally got around to watching Solo, and it was pretty dang good. I didn't believe Aiden whatshisface was Harrison Ford's Han Solo at all, but once I sort of internally classified it as an alternate reality, I really liked it.

Did people hate that movie? I can't keep track of these things.

It was alright.

kazooka wrote:

Finally got around to watching Solo, and it was pretty dang good. I didn't believe Aiden whatshisface was Harrison Ford's Han Solo at all, but once I sort of internally classified it as an alternate reality, I really liked it.

Did people hate that movie? I can't keep track of these things.

I really enjoyed it, it felt very star wars, but han solo was the least enjoyable part to me so. I don't know if it would have been better or worse if he had done a Harrison Ford impression.

I liked it, though I only saw it once. The supporting cast was great, and I'd love to see another film with Qi'ra. There were some hamfisted fan service moments, but those don't stick out in my memory.

kazooka wrote:

Finally got around to watching Solo, and it was pretty dang good. I didn't believe Aiden whatshisface was Harrison Ford's Han Solo at all, but once I sort of internally classified it as an alternate reality, I really liked it.

Did people hate that movie? I can't keep track of these things.

Personally I liked it in the theater but I tried to watch it again on Netflix and it was so freaking dark it was impossible to see what was going on in the majority of scenes. The choice of the blue filter created a interesting style but really fails on repeated viewings.

I seen it in theaters and on disc and the beginning was way to dark each time. I'm surprised they didn't fix it when they put it out on discs.

Never saw it in theaters, only at home where I bought it on Amazon and streamed it. Didn't overly like it the first time, but didn't dislike it. Upon second viewing I enjoyed it a lot more. It's aight. The spaceship porn is pretty good in it (for my sensibilities), so that's definitely a plus.

There's also that time a wookie pile drives a slaver. Pretty satisfying to watch.

I really enjoyed it.

I haven't seen it since theaters, but I definitely liked it as a cool, fun, summery Star Wars film. And, honestly, I empathize with Alden Ehrenreich (had to look that up). Seems like he takes unending sh*t for that flick, but it was an impossible role for a young actor to take on, and I thought he did fine with it. Not great (not like Donald Glover did with Lando, which is a tall order), but perfectly competent, and I thought he had plenty of little microexpressions that evoked the character without hamming it up into caricature. Wish more people would give him a break (referring to the world outside to GWJ, not to folks here.)

Let's put it this way...

Some people enjoyed Solo.

Everyone hated The Last Jedi.

* statements based on a general survey of statements made on various Star Wars related subreddits

Reddit hates everything, even hate itself

Reddit, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Reddit, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I thought that was 4Chan?

More wretched.

ubrakto wrote:

I haven't seen it since theaters, but I definitely liked it as a cool, fun, summery Star Wars film. And, honestly, I empathize with Alden Ehrenreich (had to look that up). Seems like he takes unending sh*t for that flick, but it was an impossible role for a young actor to take on, and I thought he did fine with it. Not great (not like Donald Glover did with Lando, which is a tall order), but perfectly competent, and I thought he had plenty of little microexpressions that evoked the character without hamming it up into caricature. Wish more people would give him a break (referring to the world outside to GWJ, not to folks here.)

Yeah, I think he did about as best as could be expected. The thing about Harrison Ford, is that a lot of times it feels like he's doing an impression of someone else with his characters. He plays kind of a cartoon character, but with just enough nuance to pull it off.

I'd like to see Ehrenreich in something non-Harrison Ford related.

It was just average. Might've well just risked it will Lord/Miller.

Cast of Star Wars did something cool for a guy who lost 10 years worth of Star Wars Legos.

Pages