2016 GWJ Fantasy Baseball League Discussion Thread (Week 9 Matchups)

Sorry, I completely flaked on this. I'm the Isotopes. Option A for me.

I guess I will now cast my vote, since it didn't matter either way:

1. Pineapple Express (Kush15): Option A
2. Jayhawkers (Jayhawker): Option A
3. Shelby-ville (ukickmydog)
4. Cap City Capitals (Kyekye)
5. Gio's FlippyFloppys (GioClark): Option A
6. Deano's Team (SniPeZ-): Option A
7. Grape Apes (BoShock): Option B
8. Karma Dragons (gomorra3): Option B
9. Duane's Dandy Team (Shag26): Option A
10. Isotopes (nightelfmohawk): Option A

Option A wins 6-2. League is currently ready for tomorrow night's draft. Good luck everyone.

I want to leave this thread open for discussions during the season. Maybe a little friendly trash talk, venting about players, etc.

Just a heads up - I won't be able to make the draft on Thursday. I've arrange for a friend to take care of the draft on my behalf, but he might be a little late (930ish). Go ahead with everything, I'm not too worried about autopicks the first few rounds. He's a baseball guy so he'll be able to make it work. I'll be ready to go come Opening Day!

Looking forward to it

FYI, I noticed we still had "Saves + Holds" from the NL only league last season. We will return to "Saves", as we have the full 32 team allotment of closers to choose from.

Kush15 wrote:

FYI, I noticed we still had "Saves + Holds" from the NL only league last season. We will return to "Saves", as we have the full 32 team allotment of closers to choose from.

Aww, a key to my victory last year was not drafting any closers at all and just going with set up guys late.

I wouldn't mind keeping holds because I think finding middle relievers is another interesting part of the game. The league I've been in with other Cardinals fans for the past 13 seasons now uses"

R HR RBI SB AVG OPS / W SV HLD K ERA WHIP

I personally like it a lot. We do have 14 teams, so it can be tougher to grab closers.

But I can roll with whatever we go with.

Jayhawker wrote:

I wouldn't mind keeping holds because I think finding middle relievers is another interesting part of the game. The league I've been in with other Cardinals fans for the past 13 seasons now uses"

R HR RBI SB AVG OPS / W SV HLD K ERA WHIP

I personally like it a lot. We do have 14 teams, so it can be tougher to grab closers.

But I can roll with whatever we go with.

I like SOLDS as well, I just thought with 10 teams, it would water down the RPs.

the best reason to keep holds is it rewards quality pitching more than saves (which is a fluky stat)...just as quality starts is a better state than wins...imho

I agree. What I like about the selection of stats in my other league is the balance of traditional with some newer stats. Yeah, AVG doesn't matter. But I still grew up following it. So including OPS also rewards real producers.

Stuff came up and I missed the draft. Looks like the CPU did better than I would have done.

Jayhawker wrote:

Stuff came up and I missed the draft. Looks like the CPU did better than I would have done.

At one point, I think you had five 1b eligible players in your first 8 picks. Granted, some of them were eligible at other positions, and it didn't hurt your roster, but it was an interesting stat from last night

Shag26 takes the first hit of the season (sorry buddy) as A.J.Pollock goes down, possibly for the season.

And so, it begins.

So, first Mike Trout gets the flu. Now Sonny Gray has food poisoning. Blugh.

Wow, so Trevor Story was a keeper I was targeting in the draft and am glad I got, but 6 home runs in first 4 games was not what I was expecting...

Spring Training: AJ Pollock, gone for most, if not all of the year, elbow
Week 1: Kyle Schwarber, out for season, ACL/LCL
Week 2: Charlie Blackmon, 15 Day DL, turf toe

So is this how it is going to go this season?

Kush15 wrote:

Spring Training: AJ Pollock, gone for most, if not all of the year, elbow
Week 1: Kyle Schwarber, out for season, ACL/LCL
Week 2: Charlie Blackmon, 15 Day DL, turf toe

So is this how it is going to go this season?

2016 is a snake bit year, I suppose...

And Dee Gordon got f*cking suspended, because of course he did...

GioClark wrote:

And Dee Gordon got f*cking suspended, because of course he did...

And Barry Bonds is his hitting coach, I find that hysterical.

In other news, it's only Week 6, and I am playing someone with 2 players, in their starting lineup, on the DL...

Anyone want Last year's AL Cy Young Winner willing to trade for 80% on the dollor?

I'm having a hard time making good add/drops because all the transactions affect rosters on the same day. I have to squeeze them in between work and when games start at 7pm. Anyone else having this problem, or am I just being whiny?

Kyekye wrote:

I'm having a hard time making good add/drops because all the transactions affect rosters on the same day. I have to squeeze them in between work and when games start at 7pm. Anyone else having this problem, or am I just being whiny?

i hate that you can't drop someone who already played. I like how ESPN does it, when the first pitch is thrown, transactions affect following day

I think it is a setting. At least my Yahoo roto league doesn't have the same issue. Maybe roto is different.

What I wish is that you could search for probable starters to add for the following day instead of the current day. Yahoo changed that last year, and it's kind of a pain.

I think the starters thing is related to the add/drops being immediate instead of next day. My other H2H league will identify who is starting on the next day, because that's when I get the player.

They do need a filter on probable starts though

Kudos to Pineapple Express for taking the championship. It was a pretty close final at 5-4-1

We'll have to see if there's any interest for next season. Maybe start a keeper league or something

Kyekye wrote:

Kudos to Pineapple Express for taking the championship. It was a pretty close final at 5-4-1

We'll have to see if there's any interest for next season. Maybe start a keeper league or something

Hail to the champ!

I did enjoy tinkering with the roster but was plagued with injuries and some draft busts this season. I'll need to step my meta-game up going forward.