General VR Catch-All

farley3k wrote:

I cannot think of any benefit that device would have for work.

Neither can anybody at Meta.

$1500 is still pretty steep for enterprise too

farley3k wrote:

I cannot think of any benefit that device would have for work.

With all respect, farley, that's a failure of your imagination.

VR/AR headsets are in use today across many many businesses. They're on the factory floor at Boeing, helping technicians correctly install wiring into airplanes. I've seen several headsets in various places at Blue Origin.

The tech is already embedded in tech-heavy workplaces.

fangblackbone wrote:

$1500 is still pretty steep for enterprise too :(

It's really not. Same price as Varjo's Enterprise headset (which is an annual sub for that price).

The Enterprise market is entirely different anyway - consumers are buying a product, Enterprise is buying a service.

Jonman wrote:
farley3k wrote:

I cannot think of any benefit that device would have for work.

With all respect, farley, that's a failure of your imagination.

I completely agree but aside from a few fringe cases like the ones you mentioned, I think my lack of imagination is pretty realistic.

*Legion* wrote:

The Reverb G2 is currently on sale for $349.

Still a go-to choice for PC-based VR. And with a higher resolution than that new fancy Meta headset that costs 6x as much. :D

Do you have one of these? I'm intrigued so I did some checking and the reviews are saying while the headset is pretty fantastic, the controller tracking leaves a lot to be desired. I have an old tethered Oculus and I'd like to be rid of anything Meta, but I'm wondering if this is the way to go. $350 is a really good price though.

Yeah I'm really tempted by the G2 also, but I'm somewhat cautious given I have an i5 4590 and nVidia 3060. Seems like it's just below the recommended PC specs. I don't need a new headset to drive another $1200 of spending.

farley3k wrote:

I completely agree but aside from a few fringe cases like the ones you mentioned, I think my lack of imagination is pretty realistic.

They're not fringe cases - the enterprise VR/AR market was a $5 billion industry in 2020 and is projected to be a $364 billion industry by 2030.

Your lack of imagination is anything but realistic.

d4m0 wrote:

Do you have one of these?

Yes.

d4m0 wrote:

I'm intrigued so I did some checking and the reviews are saying while the headset is pretty fantastic, the controller tracking leaves a lot to be desired.

Hand tracking is indeed the weakest part of the G2 kit. It was improved with the revised version of the G2 headset, whose cameras were adjusted to fill in some blind spots. It still isn't as good as tracking from other headsets, with the main problem being losing tracking when holding the controllers out of camera view (eg. way above your head, or down by your sides). For a lot of games, this isn't much of an issue, because VR games tend to have your hands up and active, and thus in view of the tracking cameras. But for VRChat users, for example, where hand placement might be more about creating a physical posture that other people are seeing, the tracking limitations are not ideal.

For seated VR experiences using HOTAS, steering wheel, etc, the problem obviously ceases to exist, and the G2 is as good as it gets.

I do not have the revised G2. Instead, I have a mixed VR setup, in which I'm using the G2 headset in conjunction with Valve Knuckles controllers and base stations. I don't recommend this setup for people that don't want to fiddle around with things, but when it's up and running, it is quite good.

Thank you Legion! I may jump on this then. I've never used VRChat and never will, and usually do seated VR stuff anyway. I could see maybe some problems with Half-Life Alyx in some parts but even then your hands are almost always out in front of you.

I've been very happy with my Reverb G2. One thing that helps with the tracking is getting the proper voltage batteries. Normal AA (1.2 volt) batteries will "work" but force the controllers into a low power mode, which reduces tracking. A lot of tracking complaints are from people using these normal AA batteries.

The rechargeable Li-ion batteries I have are 1.5 volts and the tracking is noticeably better while using them.

Just placed the order. Almost 50% off, not having to deal with Meta/Facebook (starting in I think January they are forcing you to have an active Meta/Facebook account to use an Oculus, instead of just an "Oculus" account), and far better image quality are worth it in my book. Being wired isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the advice on the batteries! I'll be sure to specifically seek out the 1.5 volt AAs when I get it.

That new meta headset looks comfy

d4m0 wrote:

Just placed the order. Almost 50% off, not having to deal with Meta/Facebook (starting in I think January they are forcing you to have an active Meta/Facebook account to use an Oculus, instead of just an "Oculus" account), and far better image quality are worth it in my book. Being wired isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the advice on the batteries! I'll be sure to specifically seek out the 1.5 volt AAs when I get it.

Congrats, and enjoy. The batteries that came with the unit lasted longer then I expected, but you’re going to want to invest in some rechargeable batteries.

d4m0 wrote:

Just placed the order. Almost 50% off, not having to deal with Meta/Facebook (starting in I think January they are forcing you to have an active Meta/Facebook account to use an Oculus, instead of just an "Oculus" account), and far better image quality are worth it in my book. Being wired isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

They're in the middle of pivoting the existing Facebook Login requirement that they introduced with the Quest 2 and Rift-S to a Meta account, which itself supposedly doesn't require the existence of a matching Facebook account. Of course, those of us who did merge the two accounts when it was required are in limbo as far as disentangling them.

It's definitely justified in terms of the technology of communicating expressions, or even just for more efficient rendering - foveal tracking seems to be enabling Sony's PSVR 2 to punch well above its weight given that all the processing is being handled by a PS5. But I don't trust the-company-that's-trying-to-keep-you-from-thinking-of-it-as-Facebook one whit. Other companies I treat with suspicion, but Facebook has a proven track record of flat-out lying and harm to society.

So I beat Bonelab the other night. Definitely an interesting experience. Stress Level Zero is... Bad at story telling. The gameplay is fun, though. I played strictly on the Quest 2 and it ran fine (though I do have it on PC and did try it there)? I had fun with it. It was a short 4-5 hours but they do some neat stuff.

Seems like it will be a fun game to come back to 6 months from now when folks have modded the crap out of it.

All the Quest owners should forgo their daily cup of "whatever gets you through the day" and instead spend your money on Walkabout Mini Golf. It is currently on sale, succumb to the FOMO, and then you can join us for our weekly games!

Do it!

Anyone played around with the VR POV drones?

I'm thinking of things like DJI's Avata

Whatcha think?

I bit on this deal also. I had been considering one of these for some time and couldn't resist that price. Showed up yesterday and will get it all set up this holiday weekend. This is my first step to break away from the Oculus ecosystem as I have Rift CV1, Rift S and a Go for travel. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all but these days sim racing is 95% of my use case.

For those that have the Reverb2. I'm trying to figure out if the jitter/stutter I'm noticing with rapid head shifts is normal or a bug. The internet, as usual, isn't terribly helpful with troubleshooting. It's just enough to be noticeable if I'm looking for it.

Culprit (if the internets are to be believed) is the latest Windows11 update.

Toxic- Half-Life Alyx is on sale at Steam. Visually it's amazing. Haven't played it much yet though.

Ah HA!

Be sure to go to the MS store and download this. Fixed my weird stutter issue
OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality

And also try switching to SteamVR as the runtime (within SteamVR settings) instead of OpenXR.

JC wrote:

For those that have the Reverb2. I'm trying to figure out if the jitter/stutter I'm noticing with rapid head shifts is normal or a bug. The internet, as usual, isn't terribly helpful with troubleshooting. It's just enough to be noticeable if I'm looking for it.

Culprit (if the internets are to be believed) is the latest Windows11 update.

Toxic- Half-Life Alyx is on sale at Steam. Visually it's amazing. Haven't played it much yet though.

I believe the Windows 11 thing is that Halographicshell issue. Simple workaround fix you can apply after booting, or create a batch file and then run as a task. Also appears the fix from Microsoft is in beta release now so hopefully pushed live soon. Some info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/co...

Thanks for info on Alyx. I've played through it on the Rift S, but fired it up to have a look with the Reverb and yup, it's time for another run. Or probably try some mod scenarios. It looks... wow.

I just plugged the Reverb in tonight, mostly played Dirt Rally 2.0 and just Alyx to have a look. With a few days off now I'll dig more into the ins and outs of this set.

yeah, tried the holographicshell solution as one of the first things and it didn't seem to improve things. Will keep fiddling.

Star Wars Squadrons in VR is mindblowing.

JC wrote:

yeah, tried the holographicshell solution as one of the first things and it didn't seem to improve things. Will keep fiddling.

Star Wars Squadrons in VR is mindblowing.

Ooh, wonder if we have enough new people to get some multiplayer going again...

Star Wars Squadrons is also free on Epic, RIGHT NOW!

I have no idea why this should make a difference... Installing the Geforce experience removed all the stuttering I was experiencing. Buttery smooth now.

JC wrote:

I have no idea why this should make a difference... Installing the Geforce experience removed all the stuttering I was experiencing. Buttery smooth now.

Maybe something to do with the NVIDIA overlay? Did you possibly have GFE installed before?