Doom Catch-All of Doom

Did anyone else try the arcade mode they added a few days ago? It's quite neat to experience the levels in a slightly different fashion. Definitely was enough excuse for me to load the game back up for a couple of hours. Well, that and my new 144hz monitor.

The game is half off again, $29.99

This was a great mini-doc on the making of, and a promising start to a new Youtube channel.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Is the DLC solely multiplayer oriented?

Yep, which is too bad.

Well, that saves a few pounds. No need to buy the season pass edition then. Thanks.

Wow, this game is actually really good. I should have listened.

Question about secrets... I'm bad at finding them, I know they are all going to be different but is there a general tip that will help me find more? Even after I worked out I can see them on the map I still don't seem to be able to get to many at all.

kergguz wrote:

Wow, this game is actually really good. I should have listened.

Question about secrets... I'm bad at finding them, I know they are all going to be different but is there a general tip that will help me find more? Even after I worked out I can see them on the map I still don't seem to be able to get to many at all.

They're tough. Many require you to do some fancy jumping, finding a switch, or coming back through a part of a level. I unlocked the first praetor suit perk toward finding secrets and that seemed to help, maybe unlock more of those with your praetor tokens.

First impressions: This would be better on PC. The UI and text size do not suit sitting a moderate distance from a television, and the constantly moving frenetic nature of the combat (which I like) has even I, a console veteran, yearning for a mouse and keyboard.

I think I prefer the 'tactical' control layout. Clicking the right (or left) stick is my least favourite input if required often, and melee/glory kills are quite frequent, so cross (x) is preferable. Jump is remapped to L1 which means no giving up of the right stick during combat, and thus the ability to aim. I haven't quite adjusted to it, but I feel it will be better once I do.

What's the verdict on the console aim assist? I usually turn it off where possible. This may be one game to leave it on due to the limitations of a controller.

I may start fresh tomorrow. I'm tired and I'm only embarrassing myself trying to soldier on here.

I can't imagine trying to play this thing effectively on a controller. Thing moves way too fast.

I actually just had to uninstall this today. I really liked it, but I don't think I'm going to replay it soon, and I wanted that 70 gigs of space back. Damn, that's a big game. I wonder how much of that is MP assets.

Chaz wrote:

I can't imagine trying to play this thing effectively on a controller. Thing moves way too fast.

I actually just had to uninstall this today. I really liked it, but I don't think I'm going to replay it soon, and I wanted that 70 gigs of space back. Damn, that's a big game. I wonder how much of that is MP assets.

I remember complaining about Doom 2 hogging up 8 megabytes when my buddy was letting me copy it from him over the phone modem. Took all night!

RnRClown wrote:

and the constantly moving frenetic nature of the combat (which I like) has even I, a console veteran, yearning for a mouse and keyboard.

Pfft, I played on PS4 and had zero problems.

Git gud, bro.

Spoiler:

Not serious. All the kiddings.

I want to lay any concerns about gamepad aiming issues to rest. YMMV of course but I thought it controlled like butter and the aim assist felt just right (read: didn't even notice it)

Maclintok wrote:

I want to lay any concerns about gamepad aiming issues to rest. YMMV of course but I thought it controlled like butter and the aim assist felt just right (read: didn't even notice it)

Same. It felt great on a controller.

Dyni wrote:
Maclintok wrote:

I want to lay any concerns about gamepad aiming issues to rest. YMMV of course but I thought it controlled like butter and the aim assist felt just right (read: didn't even notice it)

Same. It felt great on a controller.

I'll third this, I wish all FPS were this smooth and easy to control on console.

Has anyone played with the classic/centered weapon placement? I think I was having trouble aiming with the default/side placement. I am used to aiming down iron sights rather than relying on a crosshair (that is not aligned with the weapon).

Edit - I settled on the modern (default) weapon pose. I simply had to allow for an adjustment period. I also reverted to 90 FOV, and after experimenting with a few of the controller layouts have found comfort with the 'tactical' choice. I'm having a better time now. It's a lot of fun.

I'd say this is the best pure FPS gameplay I've seen in a game. The movement & shooting feels immaculate, add in platforming while in the midst of combat & the melee system is phenomenonal. There have even been times we're I've been coming in for the glory kill (melee finisher) at the side of an enemy & it's been a different animation than being at the front or back. The deformation when the melee is in play is genius, I'd definitely say that Doom's melee system is the best innovation to gameplay in FPS games in years.

Future games need to steal this feature it's too damn good. I realise what the hype was about now after playing it for 4-5 hours, I feel like a bad ass shooting rockets, dodging fireballs, navigating the map with speed & precision & the health being tied into glory kills is a superb touch. Love this game!

Spikeout I agree with everything you've said about this game. I can't stop gushing about how perfectly it came together. The sound and music really place this game far and above everything else I've heard this gen. It's really remarkable.

That said I'm curious if you've played Titanfall 2, or Superhot? These 3 games coming out the same year is amazing to me, each of them has a different spin on how an fps should feel. Each really could push the genre forward from what has been pretty standard shooters for awhile now.

I also love many aspects of Doom. I'll probably gush on it once I'm over the first playthrough.

Apparently they created 16 glory kill animations for each enemy depending on which angle you approach them from and what's around you in the environment.

I'm a little too in the zone whilst rampaging with glory kills, especially death from above. It's like a Mario inspired slasher flick with Doom Guy jumping on enemies heads.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Apparently they created 16 glory kill animations for each enemy depending on which angle you approach them from and what's around you in the environment.

Wow. I noticed that there were several for each enemy, but that's about 10 more for each enemy than I expected. Cool stuff.

Rave wrote:

Spikeout I agree with everything you've said about this game. I can't stop gushing about how perfectly it came together. The sound and music really place this game far and above everything else I've heard this gen. It's really remarkable.

That said I'm curious if you've played Titanfall 2, or Superhot? These 3 games coming out the same year is amazing to me, each of them has a different spin on how an fps should feel. Each really could push the genre forward from what has been pretty standard shooters for awhile now.

Titanfall 2 is one I will get very soon, if it compares to this that's an amazing achievement. The movement in the beta seemed excellent & everyone keeps gushing about the campaign & it's clever use of different gameplay elements that are expanded on as you progress.

Is Superhot the one were time stops/slows until you move? That looks stylish & that time manipulation seems like it will make for really interesting combat encounters. I wonder if it will come to PS4?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Apparently they created 16 glory kill animations for each enemy depending on which angle you approach them from and what's around you in the environment.

That's staggering attention to detail, I never get bored of watching them, honestly they are one of my favourite gameplay elements in a long long time. Once you get the runes that let you activate your glory kills from a decent distance it feels amazing to just zoom across the ground or even better through the air to finish an enemy in the most creatively violent manner possible

Great to see new people experiencing the rush of DOOM. It's almost enough for me to reinstall this beast and try to finish that campaign.

Maclintok wrote:

Great to see new people experiencing the rush of DOOM. It's almost enough for me to reinstall this beast and try to finish that campaign.

You....you didn't?

IMAGE(http://i.giphy.com/3o7TKqm1mNujcBPSpy.gif)

Maclintok wrote:

Great to see new people experiencing the rush of DOOM. It's almost enough for me to reinstall this beast and try to finish that campaign.

I haven't uninstalled, but yeah, time to finally push to get it done.

I had lost a bit of steam, went away for a few months and returned to an extended demon arena that actually requires well oiled skills. By then my muscle memory had faded. Been stuck there since!

The way I've been playing this recently is to push forward a little, fight one or at the most two waves of demons then switch it off. I just find it so intense that no matter how great the mechanics are I have to go and play something a bit more calming (at the moment, Total War: Warhammer, would you believe?). At this rate it will take me a while to finish. I can see what's so great about this game, I'm just not sure I'm cut out for it.