Doom Catch-All of Doom

Pages

Running Man wrote:
*Legion* wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I can't wait to see what Doom 2 brings with it.

It's bad enough that they called this one "DOOM". If they call the next one "DOOM 2", someone's heads should get busted.

This game is DOOM 4.

DO4M?

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/HHvMN3R.png)

DIVM

Just bought Doom. Turns out it's memory requirement is almost 3 times the memory requirement of the largest previous memory hog I've purchased. Why does it need all the space?

jrralls wrote:

Just bought Doom. Turns out it's memory requirement is almost 3 times the memory requirement of the largest previous memory hog I've purchased. Why does it need all the space?

Are you talking RAM or storage? It uses a ton of storage, but I'm not sure why. I image it's the graphic assets but I really don't know.

Historically idTech engines like to prerender a whole lot of stuff. If I had to guess, I'd say the size is probably due to a whole lot of prerendered stuff in HD resolution.

Also, I *think* you have all the multiplayer assets too, whether you want them or not.

BadKen wrote:

Historically idTech engines like to prerender a whole lot of stuff. If I had to guess, I'd say the size is probably due to a whole lot of prerendered stuff in HD resolution.

Also, I *think* you have all the multiplayer assets too, whether you want them or not.

True that. I remember pirating Doom 2 from a buddy over a modem, that 8 megabyte transfer took all night.

Finally getting to play this.. load times were horrendous. Moved to my SSD and it's super quick.. performance is even better! Just finishing up The Foundry.

I picked this up during the summer sale. I've only played through the first two episodes or whatever but I think maybe I've gotten too old for this kind of gameplay. It's too frenetic for me, and I get lost trying to find the level exits. I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I don't feel compelled to pick it back up.

FeralMonkey wrote:

I picked this up during the summer sale. I've only played through the first two episodes or whatever but I think maybe I've gotten too old for this kind of gameplay. It's too frenetic for me, and I get lost trying to find the level exits. I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I don't feel compelled to pick it back up.

The game very much rewards positioning and movement over raw aim and reflex (in SP and to a lesser extent MP) so perhaps reframing it and approaching the gameplay in those terms can help even out the pace of the game for you.

FeralMonkey wrote:

I picked this up during the summer sale. I've only played through the first two episodes or whatever but I think maybe I've gotten too old for this kind of gameplay. It's too frenetic for me, and I get lost trying to find the level exits. I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I don't feel compelled to pick it back up.

You're not the only one. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate Doom, and it was an awesome nostalgia trip for the 5 or 6 hours I could stand it. It just.... stressed me the f$%k out, and that's not what I'm looking for in a video game right now! I haven't played it now in about 6 months, but that's not to say I won't go back and finish it up when I'm in a more macho frame of mind.

kergguz wrote:
FeralMonkey wrote:

I picked this up during the summer sale. I've only played through the first two episodes or whatever but I think maybe I've gotten too old for this kind of gameplay. It's too frenetic for me, and I get lost trying to find the level exits. I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I don't feel compelled to pick it back up.

You're not the only one. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate Doom, and it was an awesome nostalgia trip for the 5 or 6 hours I could stand it. It just.... stressed me the f$%k out, and that's not what I'm looking for in a video game right now! I haven't played it now in about 6 months, but that's not to say I won't go back and finish it up when I'm in a more macho frame of mind.

Same for me. Loved the first few levels, but eventually could not handle it anymore. Also, my shooter skills have been destroyed by my 40 year old reflexes plus lack of FPS practice... Haven't really played any fps games for years and it is really showing in how poorly I play this game plus other I have tried (Overwatch and PUBG).

KramNesnah wrote:

Haven't really played any fps games for years and it is really showing in how poorly I play this game plus other I have tried (Overwatch and PUBG).

But the difference in Overwatch is it doesn't seem to matter too much. I certainly never felt stressed out in that game, win or lose. That's only in quick match mind you, but still against real humans. The AI in Doom is just mean and scary!

Yeah, I don't feel stressed out in Overwatch, I'm just an absolute liability to the team as I cannot hit the broad side of a barn due to my lack of fps skills...

Overwatch is my "chill out" FPS. I said that to some people in a GWJ game once and they were kind of taken aback by it, given some players' propensity to get real worked up in this game... but my go-to online games are Rainbow Six: Siege and PUBG, and that is stress. Anything where you mash the space bar and pop back to life is chill.

Splatoon is a pretty chill FPS.

I think the thing that makes DOOM different is the relentlessness of the experience. When sh*t goes down (which it does every time you progress further into a map) there is no escape, no breathing room, you just have to keep fighting until everything else is dead. I think that is the true essence of the original series that has been captured and intensified. My first run through the campaign was a rejuvenating experience, probably because it's the first time a reboot has made me feel even a little bit like I did when I first played the original. I'm pretty sure I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time, I loved it so much

I wouldn't say Doom stressed me out, but I think maybe it's problem for me was that I never really was huge into that arena-type gameplay to begin with. All I know is that when I started playing it, the gameplay felt like a huge breath of fresh air compared to every other shooter I played in the last decade, but by the 75% mark I started to find all the enemy encounters really boring and just wanted the game to end.

DC Malleus wrote:

I think the thing that makes DOOM different is the relentlessness of the experience. When sh*t goes down (which it does every time you progress further into a map) there is no escape, no breathing room, you just have to keep fighting until everything else is dead.

I watched the noclip documentary where the developers say that the collectables and secrets are there to provide some breathing space between the constant battles. It's quite easy to race past all these of course and land straight in another "oh sh*t" fight fest.

I'm finding it a good game to play for 30minutes every other night or so. I'd be drained if I spent a full day or weekend with it!

Doom is the best game for playing in 20-30 minute chunks. It's such a well made game for people like me who have crap for time.

Back at this, as an Octoberfest fright game. So. Good.

Anyone ever do multiplayer?

I did.

It is bad.

SnapMap is okay though if you find a good one.

Ed Ropple wrote:

I did.

It is bad.

SnapMap is okay though if you find a good one.

I did a few rounds once, about two weeks ago, seemed like perfectly acceptable PvP Deathmatch. What was bad about it?

The demon system is dumb (and tied into a bad DLC model), loadouts are awful, unlockables are likewise awful, the multiplayer-only weapons are unimaginative, the shooting mechanics feel weak when applied to multiplayer, and they made Glory Kills feel bad.

And on top of that, the playerbase has shrunk to the point where finding a game is hard.

Pages