Doom Catch-All of Doom

Amnesia was that game for me. Doom, on the other hand, tapped into my aggression to the point where I was disappointed when a battle wound down.

I've been playing this over about a two week period now. I just made it to hell. This game is truly incredible, they got everything right. Including the lore! I absolutely love it, especially on my new computer with everything on. That intro out of the elevator, the narration in Hell. The shooting is really great, though I'm not sure about the chainsaw for ammo bit, not overwhelmingly annoying, but I don't think that's working for me.

maverickz wrote:

I've been playing this over about a two week period now. I just made it to hell. This game is truly incredible, they got everything right. Including the lore! I absolutely love it, especially on my new computer with everything on. That intro out of the elevator, the narration in Hell. The shooting is really great, though I'm not sure about the chainsaw for ammo bit, not overwhelmingly annoying, but I don't think that's working for me.

Hellions use 9mm for brain cells. Bigger hell beasts use bigger gauges. I mean, come on, I thought that was completely obvious. [/s]

Double post.... from hell.

kergguz wrote:

The way I've been playing this recently is to push forward a little, fight one or at the most two waves of demons then switch it off. I just find it so intense that no matter how great the mechanics are I have to go and play something a bit more calming

What's funny is that I find the fights almost soothing. It just washes over me, and I get into that "zone" where I stop thinking and just move with purpose and abandon.

*Legion* wrote:

I stop thinking and just move with purpose and abandon.

... go on.....

*Legion* wrote:
kergguz wrote:

The way I've been playing this recently is to push forward a little, fight one or at the most two waves of demons then switch it off. I just find it so intense that no matter how great the mechanics are I have to go and play something a bit more calming

What's funny is that I find the fights almost soothing. It just washes over me, and I get into that "zone" where I stop thinking and just move with purpose and abandon.

Heh, I just can't get into that headspace at all. I just played half an hour, basically the first few fights in hell. Had to then stop and my hands were drenched in sweat. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm complaining.... it's brilliant... it just brings out a reaction in me that I can only handle from time to time.

Doom engages me like few games have in recent times. It's that visceral combat and the fluidity of it all. The traversal is fantastic. The aiming and all-round gunplay is unparalleled in execution. The glory kills are gratifying and spectacular. I also enjoy the moments of downtime to explore the levels and discover the secrets hidden throughout. Then there's the weapon upgrade paths, the armor perks, and the runes, to change up your approach. What a game.

I even find enjoyment in playing through the classic levels, the music to which is awesome. As someone who has never played a Doom title this extra may provide more value to me. I appreciate their inclusion.

I really wasn't sure how much I was going to like the new DOOM. I did a run of the classic DOOMs beforehand, and the lack of equally maze-like levels and the addition of weapon upgrades seemed antithetical to what I had enjoyed so much from the classics.

In practice, what the game did, it did SO well that I was able to enjoy its virtues instead of bemoaning the loss of certain aspects of '90s FPS design. Now, the only missing part that I find unforgivable is the lack of real map making support a la WADs. (Snapmap is a toy in comparison.) I should be playing a bunch of incredible user-made single player maps/campaigns by now.

I would kill for a Final DOOM style expansion/map pack for this game.

I've killed them all!

What a game, this is an FPS masterclass, ID are so on point with the mechanics I don't know what's gonna top this from a gameplay perspective. It feels staggeringly good, when battle commences like Legion mentioned I just went into a zone, I never panicked. It was just great to move with speed & feel your still shooting with precision against the most gratifying enemies I've probably ever enjoyed facing in a game.

Hell Knights come at you like hulking berserkers, chasing you around the map, the minions are canon fodder but it's so satisfying to run through them, you have the big Mancubus demon stomping slowly around the map firing fireballs or plasma energy, revenants bombarding you with rockets, flying up into the air....every enemy adds to the dynamics of combat, it's layered & it's damn impressive when your in the thick of it.

The bosses were pretty cool, varied attacks & some dodging skills required, I actually found a couple quite challenging. They look completely bad ass too!

The music deserves a special mention, it's heavy metal perfection for accompanying the balls to the wall action, it ramps up loud when all hell breaks loose & eases off when the action cools.

Lastly the melee combat my goodness I need to gush more about it! This is the coolest gameplay feature implemented in years, melee combat in a lot of first person shooters is boring but Doom turns that on its head & offers the most fluid, situational, animation packed melee finishers ever seen, it's so detailed & you get to do them constantly & every demon gets killed in the most insane awesome way possible. Even the colours they use to indicate enemies staggering (blue) & ready to finish (orange) just works perfectly. Destiny 2 needs to take a leaf from Doom in this regard, steal from the best

In closing this is the best pure FPS of all time, this doesn't feel like an update of a classic game but a behemoth that stands on its own at the pinnacle of FPS mechanics, that melee system though.....

I got really hung up trying to find the classic level lever in Titan's Realm, probably replaying it two dozen times on UV before capitulating to Google (not sure why I failed to find this one and this one alone!). By the end of it, I was sailing through each fight like they were choreographed dance routines, that flow is just so strong once you get in to it - moving from glory kill to glory kill, swapping weapons intuitively depending on relative threat and various proximity calculations (to the player, to other enemies, to resources), holding out on powerups to gain maximum utility (do I tear through the imp horde with this berserk or hold out and climax with a summoner/baron one-shot combo?)... This absolutely is a modern classic of the genre and shows an exquisite understanding of the underlying power fantasy that drives it. So glad people are still discovering it

Is there a way to go back and collect secrets/collectibles if you miss them? I finished the first level last night and missed some secrets, didn't realize it until I had finished the level. I thought I really spent time exploring but apparently not

Overall you are all to blame for making me get this amazing game. I had a blast last night but holy cow is it an adrenaline rush!

DeThroned wrote:

Is there a way to go back and collect secrets/collectibles if you miss them? I finished the first level last night and missed some secrets, didn't realize it until I had finished the level. I thought I really spent time exploring but apparently not

Overall you are all to blame for making me get this amazing game. I had a blast last night but holy cow is it an adrenaline rush!

Yeah, instead of clicking on Continue select Mission in the Campaign Mode menu.

So I've been playing this a little and I have some kind of graphics issue. If I ever alt-tab out of the application to do something else (read an email). When I refocus on the game is just slows down to the point of being unplayable, maybe 10 frame per second.

When I've had similar issues with other games putting it in windowed mode has usually resolved the issue but this time it was not to be.

Anyone else experienced this?

I played for about 5 hours today and I think my right hand is about to fall off.

Rat Boy wrote:

and I think my right hand is about to fall off.

If it hasn't happened by now, I think you're good.

Rat Boy wrote:

I played for about 5 hours today and I think my right hand is about to fall off.

How's your vision?

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:

I played for about 5 hours today and I think my right hand is about to fall off.

How's your vision?

Good, though I'm suddenly glad I didn't buy plush cacodemons back in the day. Floating jerks.

My wife gave me this for Xbox One as a Christmas gift. I'm currently playing through on "Hurt me plenty". It's decently challenging, yet not so much that I'm dying constantly to the point of frustration. Have to say it is the best shooter I've played in a long time and very much a worthy successor to Doom. The level design, monsters, weapons, glory kills, upgrades, hell (no pun intended) pretty much everything is top notch.

I just made it back from Hell (literally, that level was pretty brutal as I died more than all the other levels so far combined) about half way through the game. I'm doing a 100% completion run so I can get everything before I go restart from the beginning and try again on Ultra Nightmare. It sucks the season pass has no single player content. The main campaign is so good I would have loved to see a lot more of it after the credits roll. I think I got my fill of multiplayer shooters back in the 90s so really no interest at all in going online.

I think that particular section of Hell was designed to house people who arrogantly claimed they had a superior sense of internal navigation.

I've been playing this regularly in the last several weeks. What a fantastic game. Just really well designed all around. Last night I got to the Spider Mastermind, who kicked my ass pretty hard even though I took down the Cyberdemon on the first try. I can't wait to see what Doom 2 brings with it.

I think some of my favorite parts are the hell sections, because of how hard they dove into the "lore" of Doom. It's an interesting mix of self-references, self-seriousness, and self-acknowledgement.

maverickz wrote:

I can't wait to see what Doom 2 brings with it.

It's bad enough that they called this one "DOOM". If they call the next one "DOOM 2", someone's head should get busted.

This game is DOOM 4.

Finished the campaign today and...

Spoiler:

...nice to see the Spider Mastermind is still easier to defeat than the Cyber Demon.

*Legion* wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I can't wait to see what Doom 2 brings with it.

It's bad enough that they called this one "DOOM". If they call the next one "DOOM 2", someone's heads should get busted.

This game is DOOM 4.

Pretty sure they'll call the next one "DOOM: Hell on Earth".

No, no. "DOOM: Hell on Wheels," where every map involves a train.

Rat Boy wrote:

No, no. "DOOM: Hell on Wheels," where every map involves a train.

Sounds great to me! I've been sidetracked with Nioh this week, but plan to eventually pick Doom back up and finish the campaign. I will definetly pick up a sequel.

Rat Boy wrote:

Finished the campaign today and...

Spoiler:

...nice to see the Spider Mastermind is still easier to defeat than the Cyber Demon.

Spoiler:

Not for me. I took down the cyberdemon on my first or second shot, but the spider mastermind took me like ten or more. It was the lightning floor that did it mostly though.

The key is to use the grenades that give back health. Just keep spamming them.

I don't think I threw a single grenade through my entire playthrough, I got the first one and then promptly forgot them.

*Legion* wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I can't wait to see what Doom 2 brings with it.

It's bad enough that they called this one "DOOM". If they call the next one "DOOM 2", someone's heads should get busted.

This game is DOOM 4.

DO4M?