Star Trek: Discovery Catch-All [Spoilers]

I'm really into this trailer. Someone on Reddit nailed my thoughts on it: "there's a weird thing out in space, LET'S GO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS"

Like the Season 1 trailer(s), this one is probably all from the first episode or two. I'm all hyped up now.

I'm shocked by how much I liked that trailer. It seemed.......fun? Season one was many things, but fun was not one of them, so I'm severely intrigued.

Veloxi wrote:

I'm shocked by how much I liked that trailer. It seemed.......fun? Season one was many things, but fun was not one of them, so I'm severely intrigued.

Assistant to the Regional Manager, Harry Mudd, would like to have a word with you.

That said I agree - with a few notable exceptions (Harry Mudd, Cadet Tilly/Captain Killy, high-on-space-shrooms Stamets) more fun is definitely welcome to the series.

T-Prime wrote:

Assistant to the Regional Manager, Harry Mudd, would like to have a word with you

IMAGE(https://media.giphy.com/media/ZMvG5L7Di4AgM/giphy.gif)

Axel wrote:

I wonder if they're recasting Spock or if they'll just dance around it (which would be infuriating). Like have Spock be on an away mission or something so you never see him, and you only get the occasional voice cameo over communicator done by a sound-alike (or manipulating archived audio from Nimoy)

I swear if I see one more attempt to CG an old actor with the assumption that people can't grasp the core concept of acting I'm setting phasers to kill.

I'd be happy to see new actors for the entire Enterprise bridge crew, if we're moving forward in the same timeline let's jump into the deep end!

I want to see them take a page from the BSG reboot and recast Spock as a woman. Mostly because it'd be really interesting to watch the entire internet melt into a slag of rage.

trichy wrote:

I want to see them take a page from the BSG reboot and recast Spock as a woman. Mostly because it'd be really interesting to watch the entire internet melt into a slag of rage.

That would be pretty funny and the interaction with Kirk would be so different!

Yeah how would that fight in Amok Time go?

mrwynd wrote:
trichy wrote:

I want to see them take a page from the BSG reboot and recast Spock as a woman. Mostly because it'd be really interesting to watch the entire internet melt into a slag of rage.

That would be pretty funny and the interaction with Kirk would be so different!

And Spock and Uhura. Especially since it's not the 60s any more and the relationship can be more explicit than TOS.

Rat Boy wrote:

Picard series confirmed.

You did this wrong.

PICARD IS BACK! PICARD IS BACK! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SCREW THIS UP!

This better?

Rat Boy wrote:

Picard series confirmed.

Wow! So a series looking at Picard after Nemesis? That sounds like a very different kind of Star Trek. I look forward to seeing it though.

Rat Boy wrote:

This better?

Much MUCH better. Thank you.

I want the series to open with Picard recovering from hip surgery and he uses the teleporter to go everywhere, even just across the room. Every scene has him materializing into frame in his hover wheelchair.
He also has to put on glasses to use his communicator and is alway asking other characters to speak up.

ruhk wrote:

I want the series to open with Picard recovering from hip surgery and he uses the teleporter to go everywhere, even just across the room. Every scene has him materializing into frame in his hover wheelchair.
He also has to put on glasses to use his communicator and is alway asking other characters to speak up.

Isn't that how the series finale of TNG goes?

I am cautiously optimistic about this. I adore TNG and the character of Picard but unless they have some really good writers with great and new ideas, this might turn into a sad nostalgia cash grab.

Also, Discovery's first season is coming to Blu-Ray on November 13th.

In typical CBS fashion it will probably retail for $80, double usual TV seasons.

Rat Boy wrote:

Also, Discovery's first season is coming to Blu-Ray on November 13th.

Stele wrote:

In typical CBS fashion it will probably retail for $80, double usual TV seasons.

My Dad doesn't have Netflix so I'd love to get this for him. Hopefully the price isn't over the top.

I realise that I've jumped into the Discovery thread without sharing my thought on the show itself. I really liked it. I think there are a couple of things that I'd like to see changed but overall I thought the season was very good, especially for a first season.

Spoiler:

Some of the bigger twists really got me. I honestly didn't suspect that Lorca wasn't actually Starfleet at all. I guessed that Ash was Koq but not until it became obvious that there was something weird going on there. Speaking of which, what's up with killing off Culber?? I didn't see that coming at all. I know it set up some nice moments with Stamets later in the season but I think it's a pity they got rid of both the character and the relationship between Culber and Stamets so quickly. On the topic of characters, I like the crew. I even liked Saru by the end of the season - in spite of his creepy tentacle things and how off-putting it is when he walks... I especially liked Tilly and I'm glad she became so prominent by the end of the season.

In terms of things I'd like to see in Season 2... I hope they lean into the funny/silly side of things a bit more and, from the look of the S02 trailer, it seems that I might be getting what I want in that department. I'd also like to see them tackle social issues head-on to a greater extent. I think that when they went into the Mirror Universe they could have hit a little closer to home when showing examples of the Terrans' behaviour. When I think about TOS in particular, they weren't afraid to really hammer home their point. For example, 'racism is dumb':

IMAGE(https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/4/4d/Bele_and_Lokai.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20081215234656&path-prefix=en)

Side note, I briefly scanned the thread to get a feel for the general consensus on Discovery and it seems to me that most people speak very highly of DS9. It's the series I've seen the least of and it sounds like I need to get to work fixing that. Any thoughts on whether I should dive in at S01E01 or start with a specific episode?

DS9 in 80 hours or so.

And the pilot is very good. Definitely start there.

Stele wrote:

DS9 in 80 hours or so.

And the pilot is very good. Definitely start there.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I've got some good viewing to look forward to.

My wife and I are going through DS9 right now - I missed a lot of the series, especially episodes that aren't related to the Dominion War.

We watched the Season 2 episode "Profit and Loss" last night. I'm hoping that's the bottom of the barrel, because it was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I'm currently in season 5 of DS9. I like a lot of the first two seasons, especially when they focus on the Bajorans, their spirituality, and dealing with the fallout of the Cardassian occupation. There are still bad episodes, of course. I tend not to enjoy the Ferengi-focused episodes (with a few notable exceptions later on) and there are just the occasional duds throughout the series. Pretty much the same as TNG in that regard, but I think DS9 starts much stronger overall than TNG.

Stele wrote:

DS9 in 80 hours or so.

And the pilot is very good. Definitely start there.

This is a solid article and sums up nicely why DS9 is the best Trek series. Thanks for sharing!

T-Prime wrote:
Stele wrote:

DS9 in 80 hours or so.

And the pilot is very good. Definitely start there.

This is a solid article and sums up nicely why DS9 is the best Trek series. Thanks for sharing!

DS9 is different enough from the rest of the series in the universe that I can see why not everyone likes it but for me it just nudges out TNG for my favorite.

JeremyK wrote:

DS9 is different enough from the rest of the series in the universe that I can see why not everyone likes it but for me it just nudges out TNG for my favorite.

I think that's probably why (at a younger age) I didn't give it much of a go. You'd think that, being Irish, I would have watched it for the sake of Meaney alone but apparently not.

So I managed to watch the DS9 pilot plus one more episode last night. I can see how a lot of the themes went over my head when I was younger, but I think I'm really going to enjoy watching it now. It's a little bit 90's in places but not too much.

I watched TNG as a teenager, and DS9 as an adult. In retrospect, I think that was the perfect way to experience them. TNG is all about the Utopian vision of the future, whereas DS9 is about showing all of the limitations of that Utopia. They really do compliment each other well.