Pokemon Go ARG by Niantic (a Google company)

I'll probably download this tonight and give it a whirl. I don't anticipate using it too much as I have to drive everywhere and I don't think much about my phone anyway, but could be interesting to have my niece show me her local park and catch Pokemon in her neighborhood.

Nice observation about the colors, not sure if that is how it is. The tufts of grass popping out are indicators of Pokemon activity. Just they are so far away.

Also looks like Niantic made sure to disable "Mock Locations" so you cant have a program walk around good maps for a while to try and collect.

Had a lot of luck on the public transit ride home last night, and then in to work this morning. Lots of the common stuff (Ratatta, Pidgey, etc), but notably, I caught a Scyther this morning!

I already committed to Team Red/Valor.

First impressions from actually walking around:
- Downtown Denver is loaded with Pokestops; now I just need to figure out what they're for. ... How do I get a "Module"?
- My iPhone 5's GPS locating is crap, and consistently off by 30-50 feet in a random direction from where I'm standing. Makes getting close to a Pokemon grass tuft kinda frustrating. Had similar experience with Geocache app.
- Flicking Pokeballs at wild critters on the sidewalk is pretty fun.

So, for the curiuos, this video from Nintendo's E3 demo shows a few of the ins and outs of how to increase your chances of catching pokemon(@ about 18:20). There's a technique where you spin the pokeball that is supposed to increase your chances a bit.

danopian wrote:

First impressions from actually walking around:
- Downtown Denver is loaded with Pokestops; now I just need to figure out what they're for. ... How do I get a "Module"?

When at a Pokestop you have to "spin it" (swipe across), and it will drop some items. All I have gotten are some pokeballs. *edit* The module can be purchased in the store, It will lure pokemon to a stop for 30 min. Affects everyone in vicinity. You can find them in the store.

You can also (rarely) get eggs from them. I just got one that will need 5 km of walking to hatch. (You have to go to your pokemon, then click "eggs" in the top right, and then click on the egg to put it in an incubator. You start out with only one incubator.

I assume/hope they will drop incense occasionally too.

Thanks! I feel...dumb. I tried tapping everything on the screen at three separate Pokestops but somehow managed to avoid swiping it the correct way.

Btw, Niantic Labs says: "Due to the incredible number of Pokémon GO downloads, some Trainers are experiencing server connectivity issues. Don’t worry, our team is on it!"

I'm stuck at the signup screen; if I try to re-input my Google info, it gives me the server error screen. So much for the Incense I used just before it crashed.

I took a walk last night with my kids to the park. And by walk i mean pulling a wagon from one tuft of grass to the other. I was able to catch a Hypno w/ CP90, and a Shellder w/CP78 and caught enough Pidgies to evolve a Pidgeotto w/CP84. Still only level 4 though.

Igneus wrote:

Nice observation about the colors, not sure if that is how it is. The tufts of grass popping out are indicators of Pokemon activity. Just they are so far away.

I think I'm wrong on the map colors regarding Pokemon activity, but there definitely seems to be areas of higher and lower activity. Maybe just the pops of grass are meaningful. Our house continues to be a cauldron of activity, which is pretty cool.

As I've leveled up, Pokestops seem to drop better things. I'm getting more revives, potions, and whatnot instead of just Pokeballs.

My daughter and I went with Team Red/Valor. On the way back from work, I stopped and took over two Yellow gyms. The battles were a bit glitchy, but it all worked out. It looks like holding on to the gyms for periods of time gets you defensive bonuses, maybe just Pokecoins?

I've got a Cp475 Hypno now that kicks butt, and a Cp474 Pidgeot that looks pretty mean too. I like how they make it so capturing a low level Pokemon gives you candy for that specific type, which you can use to Power Up and/or Evolve other Pokemon of that specific type.

I caught a Goldicarp earlier today. It takes 400 Goldicarp candy to get it to evolve! Yikes.

Fun stuff.

"Our servers are experiencing issues. Please come back later."

But I've caught about a dozen pokemon from my couch, and there's a pokestop about a mile away, so if it ever cools down enough that I actually want to go outside for a walk, I'm set.

My phone isn't supported. Sad face

I went for a walk during this heat advisory to catch pokemon and lost contact with the servers. Haven't been able to relog in since

Katy wrote:

"Our servers are experiencing issues. Please come back later."

But I've caught about a dozen pokemon from my couch, and there's a pokestop about a mile away, so if it ever cools down enough that I actually want to go outside for a walk, I'm set.

I literally saw Squirtle just sitting there in the grass (there's a few business parks with fake lakes that show up on the map)... and lost connection with the servers and now they're down.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Just downloaded this, and can't even get past the log in. Server issues. Bah.

Antichulius wrote:

Just downloaded this, and can't even get past the log in. Server issues. Bah.

Yeah, server suckage here too. They must be getting swamped.

I wish that this game had trading, that would allow some really cool elements.

In games like this is frequently kinda stinks to live out in the boonies, you aren't close to most of the action that the other players take place in. It would be cool and thematic if out in rural areas Pokemon were found with greater variety and frequency, giving those players their own place in the game dynamics.

Additionally, they could do the whole Kanto/Johto/etc thing. Splice those regions up by continents so that in order to get the Pokemon you have to trade with people around the world.

It was definitely much easier to play at night, and early this morning when everyone was asleep. I caught a lot last night, and occasionally when I can get on at work from my desk.

Yonder wrote:

I wish that this game had trading, that would allow some really cool elements.

In games like this is frequently kinda stinks to live out in the boonies, you aren't close to most of the action that the other players take place in. It would be cool and thematic if out in rural areas Pokemon were found with greater variety and frequency, giving those players their own place in the game dynamics.

Additionally, they could do the whole Kanto/Johto/etc thing. Splice those regions up by continents so that in order to get the Pokemon you have to trade with people around the world.

There are a lot of updates that are going to happen, and probably the updates we want are on their list already.

Never cared much for Pokemon, but figured I'd give this a try. Can't due to the connection issues thing.

Server issues are to be expected if still disappointing. Having to reenter my login info so frequently is just bad design though.

Are you on the iPhone? My coworker is complaining of that too. On Android I just click the Sign up with "Google" button and it's off to watching the spinning dial.

This game is great for bus commuting. Big city like San Francisco there are pokespots everywhere.. got like 60 pokeballs just checkign the map at every bus stop on the way to work.

Yonder wrote:

Are you on the iPhone? My coworker is complaining of that too. On Android I just click the Sign up with "Google" button and it's off to watching the spinning dial.

Yes, some times it will keep spinning forever, some times it will give you an error and keep your login info so you can just hit sign in again, and too often it will boot you to the main menu where you choose between google or the pokemon trainer sign in fresh.

I assume the sign-in will change for iOS so its not an every single time thing. Cause otherwise it is a bit tiring to sign in every single time you reopen the app.

Bah, I live in the boonies and can't find any pokespots.

For the past three hours it's been unplayable for me. Even the couple of times I've gotten the game to load it's crashed or frozen within a minute or two.

Finally got in. There were three pokemon near my house. I got one and the others went away. I guess Char is now my starter-- didn't know I'd only get one of the three, or I'd have paid more attention to who I got first. Now it's off to go shopping. Going to make my wife drive so I can check for pokemon on the way

For those looking for pokestops... they seem to correspond with portals from Ingress. This is a map of all of them. You have to zoom in really close to see unused portals though.

At least with Ingress, the developer actively worked with the communities to improve things and make the app better. I may not agree with all of the decisions they made, but they really do try and send out updates regularly adding functionalities and increasing stability.