US Soccer Catch-All

TFC wins! And the announcer seemed to understand the rule there at the end!

What an exciting game!

Crikey I'm sorry I missed that game! 2 goles away to Tigres is impressive.

How much did they play after Tigres scored the PK at 93'?

Hrdina wrote:

Crikey I'm sorry I missed that game! 2 goles away to Tigres is impressive.

How much did they play after Tigres scored the PK at 93'?

Maybe a minute? It felt well-officiated. TFC ended up advancing close to Tigre's end line and it got kicked out once or twice, then he called it.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Btw, do you support an MLS team? One of the NY teams?

I was a MetroStars fan, fell away when they changed to the Red Bulls (at the time, I was SO DEEPLY OFFENDED by the blatant corporatization), tepidly came back when they signed Thierry Henry and now I nominally support/follow both NYC teams without committing to either.

Those are some great results for the MLS teams. Although it is a little sad to see quite so many empty seats at the game.

Prederick wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Btw, do you support an MLS team? One of the NY teams?

I was a MetroStars fan, fell away when they changed to the Red Bulls (at the time, I was SO DEEPLY OFFENDED by the blatant corporatization), tepidly came back when they signed Thierry Henry and now I nominally support/follow both NYC teams without committing to either.

Those are some great results for the MLS teams. Although it is a little sad to see quite so many empty seats at the game.

Were you (like me) present in person when the Curse of Caricola was born?

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

Prederick wrote:

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

I need to see them on the field. That said, I'm happy they're doing more hoops, since two of our best jerseys (Waldos being our most iconic, Gold Cups being my favorite) use them. We need an identity (in more ways than one).

I'm also very pleased to see a blue kit. Was the last primarily blue kit the one with the white sash? South Africa?

Prederick wrote:

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

Heh, the comments on that Twitter post are harsh. Lot of anger towards USMNT and its leaders still.

Godzilla Blitz wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

Heh, the comments on that Twitter post are harsh. Lot of anger towards USMNT and its leaders still.

Not entirely undeserved.

I saw this announcement and thought "why should I care what kit our team wears for a bunch of meaningless friendlies?" It's like buying a nice new outfit for a NYE party to which you weren't invited.

Hrdina wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

Heh, the comments on that Twitter post are harsh. Lot of anger towards USMNT and its leaders still.

Not entirely undeserved.

I saw this announcement and thought "why should I care what kit our team wears for a bunch of meaningless friendlies?" It's like buying a nice new outfit for a NYE party to which you weren't invited.

Yep, I agree. They haven't inspired confidence with their actions since then either.

Hrdina wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Eeesh. If these were the kits we were going to wear, maybe it's best we missed Russia 2018.

Heh, the comments on that Twitter post are harsh. Lot of anger towards USMNT and its leaders still.

Not entirely undeserved.

I saw this announcement and thought "why should I care what kit our team wears for a bunch of meaningless friendlies?" It's like buying a nice new outfit for a NYE party to which you weren't invited.

More like buying a nice new outfit for a NYE party you SHOULD'VE been able to make it to, until you crashed your car, sh*t your pants, stopped answering texts and they ended up inviting freaking Panama instead.

They look ok.
They look great while blowing a kiss. Maybe that's a universal thing.

Eh, 1-0. Not bad, even if Paraguay was pretty blech. I'd really like George Weah's kid to turn out well.

I enjoyed how Nagbe came up to Weah right after the game and put his arm around him.

It has been reported thoroughly that their dads played on the Liberian National Team together. How cool this must be for them!

http://www.americansoccernow.com/art...

No posts here in a month, so let me express my sadness that Toronto couldn't quite get it over the finish line in the CONCACAF Champions League.

That said, I think soccer north of Mexico is very much there now, and the drought should end very, very soon.

Prederick wrote:

No posts here in a month, so let me express my sadness that Toronto couldn't quite get it over the finish line in the CONCACAF Champions League.

That said, I think soccer north of Mexico is very much there now, and the drought should end very, very soon.

This was my second year watching CCL. It was a really, really encouraging improvement for MLS teams, although the finish was incredibly disappointing, especially against a team everyone thought had overachieved.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Prederick wrote:

No posts here in a month, so let me express my sadness that Toronto couldn't quite get it over the finish line in the CONCACAF Champions League.

That said, I think soccer north of Mexico is very much there now, and the drought should end very, very soon.

This was my second year watching CCL. It was a really, really encouraging improvement for MLS teams, although the finish was incredibly disappointing, especially against a team everyone thought had overachieved.

Yeah, I thought that they were fortunate* to get past RBNY, and that Toronto would have their way with them.

* by "fortunate", I mean that they were fortunate that RBNY made some questionable lineup and tactical decisions for the second leg.

Klinsmann says USA could have 'realistically' made World Cup 2018 semi-finals

The United States national team will be watching the World Cup from their living rooms after disastrously failing to qualify for next month’s tournament in Russia, but in the eyes of former manager Jürgen Klinsmann it’s not for lack of talent.

Klinsmann, who has resurfaced in a series of interviews this week after an extended period of radio silence following his removal as USA manager in November 2016, believes the Americans could have reached the semi-finals in Russia.

“I realistically saw a group growing into the World Cup 2018 that could go into a semi-final,” Klinsmann told Yahoo Sports in an interview published Thursday.

Klinsmann was relieved of his post in November shortly after the US lost successive games to Mexico and Costa Rica early in their doomed qualifying campaign. The team briefly recovered under replacement Bruce Arena and appeared positioned to qualify after earning a rare point at Mexico’s Estadio Azteca, but a stunning final-reel defeat to Trinidad & Tobago, when they needed only a draw with the world’s 99th-ranked team to secure a play-off spot, sealed their fate.

Still, Klinsmann believes the United States would have managed to put the moribund qualifying campaign, where they scratched out 12 points in 10 matches, behind them in Russia: “The World Cup has nothing to do with the four years prior to that. It’s a completely new chapter.”

He added: “We almost didn’t qualify for Italy in 1990 with Germany ... We had to win our last game against Wales, and I still remember that Mark Hughes missed a 100% chance two minutes before the end of the game. He had a free header and he put it over the bar. If he puts that in, we’re not going to Italy. And then we won the World Cup.”

Alright, let's be fair here. The USA absolutely could've made the Semi-Finals. Greece won Euro 2004. But saying it's a "realistic" expectation is... a stretch.

I didn't think our results were improving under Klinsmann compared to Bradley, but I do think that he might have seen us qualified. However, firing him seemed the right move at the time, and he sure seemed to have lost the locker room.

It was probably very hard to be the coach after Bob Bradley when his son was the captain of the team. When the criticisms of Klinsmann started making their way into the press, Michael Bradley was the most outspoken source.

I'm still a Bradley fan, though. It's hard for our players to lose my support.

[quote="Fedaykin98"]I didn't think our results were improving under Klinsmann compared to Bradley, but I do think that he might have seen us qualified. However, firing him seemed the right move at the time, and he sure seemed to have lost the locker room.

It was probably very hard to be the coach after Bob Bradley when his son was the captain of the team. When the criticisms of Klinsmann started making their way into the press, Michael Bradley was the most outspoken source.

I'm still a Bradley fan, though. It's hard for our players to lose my support. [/quote]

There’s a lot wrong with us soccer and there certainly was a lot of finger pointing afterward. Sunil made it easy to absolve the players completely by firing the coach, but that really isn’t the answer.

In my assessment, klinsmann was really trying to just break a mold that US soccer had become. We were basically a more athletic Honduran team that had a better goaltender - a lot of defense with long ball counter attacking. Good enough to scrounge points from ties and force Central American teams to play in Ohio in the snow for a big home field advantage and at least a tie but likely a win (see: Rica, Costa). Klinsmann seemed like he was trying to improve the artistic play of our guys beyond a few flashes of brilliance - and trying to mix a more movement oriented game into the mix where guys were tactically more sound. Did it all work? Not in the least, but I certainly appreciated the effort he put forth, even if it was like throwing spaghetti against the wall and trying to see what stuck.

Without klinsmann, I seriously doubt we would have seen the likes of the new young guys coming up that made their debut at the last WC - and absolved him of leaving Donovan off the flight manifest. Bradley and arena are guys that keep the old guard around because they’re safe and simple and he knows exactly what they’re getting.

As for Bradley and the players that complained? I have no sympathy. You’re supposed to be professionals. You lost to a team that our U-20 team wouldn’t have lost to 9 out of 10 times. You can make a lot of excuses and you can deflect how you’d like, but you failed. That wasn’t coaching. That was a player lead loss through and through. You literally got what you wanted with Arena and no Klinsmann and proceed to sh*t the bed? Yeah, I’d definitely pay real low too for a long while.

Truth is, Bradley isn’t a good player for our system of play. Don’t misunderstand me- he’s great as a connective tissue where he has two or three options, just like his earlier club experience provided, but that doesn’t happen much on the US team. As for being a leader, he failed absolutely.

USMNT - Bolivia is about to kick! Once again, this friendly features a very youthful team.

I actually wonder if anyone from the 2014 World Cup squad will ever play another meaningful USMNT game, apart from perhaps Julian Green.

It's entertaining to watch Fox's ads trying to promote the World Cup here in the US. Biggest event in the world, one about how we all have a stake in a nation playing (from our ancestral roots, apparently), and even one trying to get us excited about the England team.

I'd be 90% of the people seeing the ads still don't know the US isn't in it.

3-0, and a goal from Timothy Weah.

Sure, Bolivia is a CONMEBOL also-ran who only wins games because their stadium is 10 feet short of the Death Zone, but then again, we couldn't beat T&T to get to the World Cup, so beggars/choosers.

Prederick wrote:

3-0, and a goal from Timothy Weah.

Sure, Bolivia is a CONMEBOL also-ran who only wins games because their stadium is 10 feet short of the Death Zone, but then again, we couldn't beat T&T to get to the World Cup, so beggars/choosers.

There are a lot of positives to take out of that game. For one, the US was way more dynamic and just energetic.

Anyone coming to this thread likely knows, but the USMNT has two more friendlies coming soon:

June 2 - Ireland

June 9 - France

Well, obviously, the USMNT still has a lot of work to do. That's not the worst loss possible, but it's a crap one. Still, it's not like we didn't know that the USMNT needs a wholesale rebuild, and now we can start figuring out who is useful and who's not.

If we can keep it respectable against France, I'll be pleased.

I'm excited about many of the youngsters who have been getting time. The Tyler Adams & Weston McKennie midfield combo has potential. Rubio Rubin had some flashes of brilliance. Tim Weah, the one I'm most excited about, seems to balance a strong level of confidence with a self awareness of where he needs to improve. If he can continue to learn and refine his game (especially his finishing) he is going to be great.

Lucky to be up 1-0, unlucky to lose it 2-1 in the waning minutes. Honestly though, they were way outclassed, but watching new blood work is a lot more preferable than the old guard again. At least there’s 4 years to figure it out

How does everyone watch these games? What's the best streaming service for all your soccer needs if you live in the US? I've been mooching off family to stream things using their cable credentials, but I'd rather be self-sufficient. My two biggest interests are premier league and USMNT, but the more league options the better. I was looking at fubo.tv but their package is a bit more expensive than I want and includes tons of stuff I couldn't care less about. I have all my other streaming needs filled but soccer. Any suggestions?

Wembley wrote:

How does everyone watch these games? What's the best streaming service for all your soccer needs if you live in the US? I've been mooching off family to stream things using their cable credentials, but I'd rather be self-sufficient. My two biggest interests are premier league and USMNT, but the more league options the better. I was looking at fubo.tv but their package is a bit more expensive than I want and includes tons of stuff I couldn't care less about. I have all my other streaming needs filled but soccer. Any suggestions?

Dodgy Youtube streams. Even dodgier streams with names like eurocol.xxx.rus.